Who's looking forward to Dune Part 2?

Like in any war, rules are sometimes ignored
I always imagined it to be like nuclear weapons in the real world. There's a taboo surrounding them, due to their destructive power; they're a viable rung on the escalation ladder, but you should be very careful about using them in case they cause uncontrolled escalation. Nobody sane in the real world would use nuclear power unless they really had to, because retaliation can be ruinous.

I always imagined it to be like nuclear weapons in the real world. There's a taboo surrounding them, due to their destructive power; they're a viable rung on the escalation ladder, but you should be very careful about using them in case they cause uncontrolled escalation. Nobody sane in the real world would use nuclear power unless they really had to, because retaliation can be ruinous.
That was Herbert's angle, I believe. But perhaps even more fundamentally, armies are generally deployed to protect something worth having, and the attackers are generally attacking because they want to be the ones to have it. Ergo, complete annihilation is not high on the list of acceptable strategies for any sensible combatants. It might be the last choice of the defenders, when all other hope is lost, to at least deny their conquerors the satisfaction of real victory, and at which point no retaliation matters. That's part of Herbert's story, as he remarks on how shockingly savage the Harkonnen attack was compared to the way Houses normally fought. No one wanted to put their enemies' backs to the wall so hard that using the 'Family atomics' would seem necessary. And while Paul never uses his nuclear weapons on anyone's army, he does threaten to destroy the spice, which would be far worse for their society, and his ability to destroy it becomes the foundation of his power, much more than his Fremen army.

I keep forgetting to give Dune a gander. LOL.

I love sci-fi, though my tastes tend to be more towards older.

X-Files, Farscape, Fringe, Firefly.

I couldn't get into shows like....Altered Carbon, The OA, etc.

I'm retrying The Expanse.

I did watch The 100 for the first few seasons, but then it got dumb as shit. JMO of course.

I didn't really care for the new Dune. It was one of those films which, once you'd seen the pacing and design of the thing for the first twenty minutes or so, you could more or less intuit what everything else was going to look like. It was increadibly slow while also feeling like it left out parts from the book. I probably will see Part Two at some point, but I'm not that excited for it.

The ban on atomics makes them dangerous to acquire and transport, but surely a lasgun with a timed trigger is easy to construct and employ.

Perhaps it's the need to be shielded from seers that dissuades assassins from using lasguns, but accidental discharge of a lasgun is still a huge danger.

ETA: Unless the reaction occurs within the laser source and the shield is largely unaffected, and the explosion is powerful but localised to within e.g. 50m, so that the real danger is to anyone in vicinity of the lasgun. That way there's nothing to dissuade the use of shields and every reason not to use them in close-quarter combat against shield users.

ETA: Radioactive fallout didn't seem to be a factor in Dune.

Last edited:
The ban on atomics makes them dangerous to acquire and transport, but surely a lasgun with a timed trigger is easy to construct and employ.

Perhaps it's the need to be shielded from seers that dissuades assassins from using lasguns, but accidental discharge of a lasgun is still a huge danger.

ETA: Unless the reaction occurs within the laser source and the shield is largely unaffected, and the explosion is powerful but localised to within e.g. 50m, so that the real danger is to anyone in vicinity of the lasgun. That way there's nothing to dissuade the use of shields and every reason not to use them in close-quarter combat against shield users.

ETA: Radioactive fallout didn't seem to be a factor in Dune.
Could someone in Dune make a simple nuclear weapon by combining a lasgun and a shield? Yes, and Duncan Idaho did so at one point. According to the book, the output of such interactions was highly variable. It might produce a small explosion that would only kill the people immediately adjacent, or it might be multi-megaton, and apparently no one was certain what variables determined the force of the explosion. As a weapon of terror or last resort, it might have some appeal, but as a weapon of war, none of the major combatants in the books cared for it, and tried to avoid situations where it might happen.

Since shields had an arguably wider array of useful functions, they were favored more than the lasers. I assume that was just a narrative choice as he wanted to write about feudal politics and ecology and mystic future history more than terrorism or gaming out all possible shenanigans related to the fictional tech. The feudal era, one could argue, was dominated by strong defenses, in the form of plate armor and castles and the like, whose heyday largely came to and end with longbows and then firearms and controlled explosives.

Good point about the unpredictability of the lasgun/shield explosions.

Favoring hand-to-hand fighting also fits in with the focus in that universe on improving human skills rather than relying on technology. So they don't have computers, but they have schools where they train people ("Mentats") to become better at calculation and memorization than computers ever were.

I'm looking forward to Part II, but I was only lukewarm on the first part. The whole look of the movie was very underwhelming to me; all the designs felt like they came from the 2000s, not 10,191 (I head they had to CGI the stillsuit gloves because people recognized them as an Oakley model). Though it was nice that we finally got proper ornithopters.

I understand why it was written that way, I'm just unconvinced by the implied in-world logic of it.

Dune Part 2 debuts on March 1. It doesn't have much to do with erotica, I suppose, but I think a lot of the authors here are into sci fi, so I'm curious about whether you are looking forward to it and why.
Very similar experiences to you; read it after LOTR a long time ago, super-disappointed at the 1980's version.
I watched Part 1 at home on my wall-screen (not quite as good as being in a movie theater, but still immersive). I hated Hans Zimmer's music, and didn't care much for the overly "epic" and bombasitic humourlessness. But it's an incredible movie visually, and I really got into the alien world it conjoured up. Hyped for part 2!

I've been watching a lot of sf movies recently, which I either missed first time around, or forgot that I'd already watched them. I was pleasanly surprised by a number of them:

"Moon" is a fantastic low-budget movie, with brilliant acting and a clever story;
"Blade Runner" (1982) really holds up!
"Solaris" is still one of my all-time favourites, a sad, deep invocation of loss and entaglement of memory and perception.
"District 9" was a perfect cartoonish, funny and really clever satire
"Under the Skin" -- abosultelty loved it the first time, but couldn't really get into it the second time, in spite of Scarlett Johansson being at her most sexy

The tech was ludicrous, they can fly across the universe but canā€™t create a weapon better than a sword?
They have weapons better than swords; they just also have counter-measures to all of them. Remember - Dune was published in 1965, it's an incredible imaginative setting for that era.
The book offers an explanation
Namely, the genesis of the Orange Catholic Bible and the commandment inside it: Thou shalt not make a machine in the likeness of a human mind. Mentats are the natural consequence.

To read a book, you must understand and accept the universe in which the book is set. If you cannot accept the laws then the book will obviously be ludicrous.

I loved Dune, but you have to realise that at its heart it's a Messianic fantasy set in space. It's not a feel-good story. And the later books are worse.

That said - the movie is probably the closest I've ever seen someone come to capturing my mental model of the world - all the little quirks, all the little shards of darkness are near perfect.

So I actually loved the original 80s version for the visuals, historically they managed to do a lot with no CGI tech.

I found part 1 of the modern Dune utterly, utterly dreary. Everything felt stretched out to an nth degree in dialogue, exposition and panning over backgrounds.

Technically brilliant, but as a film I thought it was boring. I hope Dune Part 2 ups the tempo a bit.

Very similar experiences to you; read it after LOTR a long time ago, super-disappointed at the 1980's version.
I watched Part 1 at home on my wall-screen (not quite as good as being in a movie theater, but still immersive). I hated Hans Zimmer's music, and didn't care much for the overly "epic" and bombasitic humourlessness. But it's an incredible movie visually, and I really got into the alien world it conjoured up. Hyped for part 2!

I've been watching a lot of sf movies recently, which I either missed first time around, or forgot that I'd already watched them. I was pleasanly surprised by a number of them:

"Moon" is a fantastic low-budget movie, with brilliant acting and a clever story;
"Blade Runner" (1982) really holds up!
"Solaris" is still one of my all-time favourites, a sad, deep invocation of loss and entaglement of memory and perception.
"District 9" was a perfect cartoonish, funny and really clever satire
"Under the Skin" -- abosultelty loved it the first time, but couldn't really get into it the second time, in spite of Scarlett Johansson being at her most sexy

I haven't seen Solaris, but I agree 100% about the others. Moon is one of my favorite sci fis of the millennium. I knew nothing about it before seeing it, which is often one of the best ways to see a movie. It's a relatively simple but deceptively clever and interesting story. Sam Rockwell is excellent.

Blade Runner, IMO, seems to get better with age, even though it wasn't at all prescient about what 2019 would be like. Still waiting for the flying cars.

I liked Under the Skin but didn't know quite what to make of it. I think it's a bit like 2001 in that it's better to accept and absorb it and not try too hard to understand what you are being shown.

Loved District 9. The lead actor plays a great psychopathic villain in Elysium, which wasn't nearly as good a movie.

OMFG, I'm so excited! None of my friends seem interested... might be another movie I see by myself.

I listened to the audiobook of Herbert's Dune and the story drew me in deep. Even though it doesn't have much in the way of erotica, the world's attitudes toward sex and sexuality are pretty divorced from what we might recognize today.

Also, the first movie was such a breath of fresh air compared to the cooky and campy attempts to adapt the story. I'm really hoping Part II holds up.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Solaris
Warning: It's very atmospheric and slow-paced. If you've seen any other of Tarskovsky's movies you'll know what to expect. But, as I said, I just love it -- I'm more of a fan of inner space than outer space in general, and this movie combines them brilliantly (plus, Natalya Bondarchuk is so damn beautiful).

Warning: It's very atmospheric and slow-paced. If you've seen any other of Tarskovsky's movies you'll know what to expect. But, as I said, I just love it -- I'm more of a fan of inner space than outer space in general, and this movie combines them brilliantly (plus, Natalya Bondarchuk is so damn beautiful).
Seconded. Solaris is a superb film, and the George Clooney remake, not bad either.

Stalker is better, I think - I think it's Tarkovsky's masterpiece.

One day, I hope to see Larry Niven's "Ringworld" being made into a movie. Not much in the way of a story, admittedly, but damn, with the SFX done right it could be mind-blowing

Yes I plan on watching it on IMAX

Never read the book, but I enjoyed the 80s movie, the most recent one was okay. Script had pacing issues, but visually it was fantastic. Saw it at home.

The reviews for this one has got me excited.

Yes I plan on watching it on IMAX

Never read the book, but I enjoyed the 80s movie, the most recent one was okay. Script had pacing issues, but visually it was fantastic. Saw it at home.

The reviews for this one has got me excited.
I highly recommend the book, if you enjoy science fiction. The movie is a worthy adaptation but it by necessity eliminates a lot, including some backstop and almost all of the extensive inner dialogue.

Back