What Made You Smile/Laugh Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure what I'm going to want - and have - for breakfast tomorrow: French toast.

All because I ran into a Foodspin (department in Deadspin) article titled, "How To Make French Toast: A Guide For People Who Are Not Insane". (NOTE: the url for this page is simply //deadspin.com/foodspin, so if DS changes the article, y'all are gonna be SOL.)

The article is long, and funny, and provides a wonderful description/instructions on how to properly prepare French toast... and rips places like IHOP, which totally funk up the whole reason French toast was invented to begin with.

Please tell me, what is this IHOP and what is it that they call french toast? I'm struggling to imagine anything other than what the recipe in the article is. The method in the article is basically how I do mine, plus salt and cracked pepper instead coz savoury is the way to go IMHO (also coz thats what Edmonds Cookbook says and it never lies).

I cannot cook, use toasters, kettles or anything else kitchen related. It's too dangerous. Last time I burnt one of my breasts (i was fully clothed) and I still have the scar from it. I also have burn scars and knife cut scars over my hands from my attempts at anything kitchen related.

I will pass on the atricle to my flatmate, thankfully she is not scared of kitchens. :)

Geez, I've burnt a breast before once but never while clothed, that is some skill you have there!

If you're flattie doesn't make you any, I'll send you some :) No guarantees that it will be edible if you're in the SI though!

Please tell me, what is this IHOP and what is it that they call french toast? I'm struggling to imagine anything other than what the recipe in the article is. The method in the article is basically how I do mine, plus salt and cracked pepper instead coz savoury is the way to go IMHO (also coz thats what Edmonds Cookbook says and it never lies).

Geez, I've burnt a breast before once but never while clothed, that is some skill you have there!

If you're flattie doesn't make you any, I'll send you some :) No guarantees that it will be edible if you're in the SI though!

It was an interesting experience and one I never want to repeat. Especially trying to pull the melted clothing off it. Hence my refusal to enter a kitchen again. They are dangerous places lol.

Awww thanks. North Island so will be fine by the time it gets here :) *happy dance*

I have strange food addictions and have just got back from Aussie and almost ODed on banana bread while I was there.

It was an interesting experience and one I never want to repeat. Especially trying to pull the melted clothing off it. Hence my refusal to enter a kitchen again. They are dangerous places lol.

Awww thanks. North Island so will be fine by the time it gets here :) *happy dance*

I have strange food addictions and have just got back from Aussie and almost ODed on banana bread while I was there.

I've never had banana bread but I'm guessing it's gotta be kinda similar to banana cake without icing? I've you've got a recipe can you chuck it my way? I'm fast running out of ideas for stuff to take to Playcentre for morning teas.

I've never had banana bread but I'm guessing it's gotta be kinda similar to banana cake without icing? I've you've got a recipe can you chuck it my way? I'm fast running out of ideas for stuff to take to Playcentre for morning teas.

It is pretty much like banana cake but done as a loaf, really good warmed up and buttered. I am drooling just thinking about it.

I will try and find a good receipe for it as the normal cake is OK but not quite right.

I cannot cook, use toasters, kettles or anything else kitchen related. It's too dangerous. Last time I burnt one of my breasts (i was fully clothed) and I still have the scar from it. I also have burn scars and knife cut scars over my hands from my attempts at anything kitchen related.

I will pass on the atricle to my flatmate, thankfully she is not scared of kitchens. :)
Yoiks! There goes your potential career as a scullery maid, wot?

IHOP is what used to be International House of Pancakes. As far as I know, it's only in the U.S., so where the "International" came from, I'm not sure, unless they added it because of French toast and Colombian coffee, etc.

Their sacrilegious assaults on French toast may be found on this page of their menu.

And yeah, French toast is not happening for breakfast tomorrow... because this turned out to be a "free graze" evening, and while she wanted spaghetti, I opted for French toast. Nom nom nom. It was good. :D

I will try and find a good recipe for it as the normal cake is OK but not quite right.
I've had nothing but compliments - and requests for more, more, more! - with this banana bread recipe. Non-purists can add chopped nuts to taste. (Metric measurements included for those not on the English measurements standard.)

Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1 cup (220 grams) butter, softened (margarine is an acceptable substitute)
2 cups (400 grams) sugar
7 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 teaspoons (7 grams) vanilla extract
4 eggs, slightly beaten
3 cups (420 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
2 teaspoons (10 grams) baking soda

Directions:
1. Cream the butter and sugar. Blend in the bananas, vanilla and eggs.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. Add to the banana mixture and mix until just combined. Pour into two greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.
4. Bake at 350ºF (175º C). Check on the bread after 35 minutes (it may take up to 60 minutes). Banana bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool the banana bread in the pan for 10 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.​

I've had nothing but compliments - and requests for more, more, more! - with this banana bread recipe. Non-purists can add chopped nuts to taste. (Metric measurements included for those not on the English measurements standard.)

Banana Bread
Ingredients:
2 cups (400 grams) sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten

Directions:
3. Add to the banana mixture and mix until just combined. Pour into two greased 9x5 inch loaf pans.
4. Bake at 350ºF (175º C). Check on the bread after 35 minutes (it may take up to 60 minutes). Banana bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool the banana bread in the pan for 10 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.​

Ooh, lovely, thanks. I'll have to try this some day! And one of these days I'm going to harrass CM for the recipe of the zucchini bread she makes.

A lot of the measures, at least here, would be given in dl's (in the OZ I think they use ml's) instead of g's. Grams make more precise baking though, but I've never been too precise about anything. Except when making macarons. That's like alchemy.

1 cup = a bit over 2dl's, something between 2,25dl's and 2,5dl's. I just usually use "a bit over 2dl's" and then eye ball it when it comes to cups and ounces. And a teaspoon is used universally, I think.

A true story: whenever I use American recipes, I get so used to converting everything that more than once I've found myself pondering how long I should bake something. If the recipe says that in America it takes 45mins to bake, I wonder what it's gonna be in metric system...

Banana Bread
Ingredients:
2 cups (400 grams) sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten

Directions:

Thank you so much, that has to be one of the best banana breads I have eaten in years. I have told my flatmate that she has to name her first born child after you. I am sure Sir Winston will be fine for a boy or girl :)

IHOP is what used to be International House of Pancakes. As far as I know, it's only in the U.S., so where the "International" came from, I'm not sure, unless they added it because of French toast and Colombian coffee, etc.

Their sacrilegious assaults on French toast may be found on this page of their menu.

Well that's 20 mins of my life I won't get back! I can't believe some of that food is in existence i.e. chin-a-stack french toast and carrot cake pancakes. As far as I'm aware, french toast does not need stuffing!

Banana Bread
Ingredients:
2 cups (400 grams) sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten

Directions:

Thank you! It sounds beautiful, I'll give it a go sometime this week :)

:rolleyes: All I saw was this:

sugar
ripe
mashed
slightly beaten
Cream
vanilla
two greased
comes out clean
wire rack

The beard stays, no doubt about it. :D

Pics please, MWY ~ or it doesn't exist! :D

Here you go:

beard3.jpg

Last edited:
My new dance costume. :D Its dark purple and very, very swishy.

If anyone is interested in another take on a banana bread, I offer you this:
Banana Bread

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
Pinch of sea salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
2 egg whites
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup raw honey
1/4 cup safflower oil
1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate
Olive oil cooking spray, optional

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, flaxseed and salt.
In a large bowl, with a hand mixer, beat bananas until smooth. Add egg whites and beat until combined. Gradually mix in applesauce, honey and safflower oil.
Mix dry ingredients into banana mixture; stir in chocolate.
Mist a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until browned on top.

Nutrients per slice: Calories: 182, Total Fat: 6 g, Sat. Fat: 1 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Carbs: 32 g, Fiber: 3 g, Sugars: 16 g, Protein: 3 g, Sodium: 74 mg, Cholesterol: 0 mg

What is the line between a bread that tastes like a dessert and a dessert that tastes like a bread?

It's the line between good and evil.

Many years ago I made a pact with the very debbil himself. We agreed that he would not take my soul (at which point I'd already profited because I don't actually have one) as long as I ate bread pudding every time I saw it on a restaurant menu. I still have my soul and it takes twelve hours of workout per day to tread water against my bread pudding fetish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back