What is the least helpful feedback you have ever got?

I found this one hard to beat (pun intended):

by Anonymous user on 01/15/2023
Pathetic junk written by a chronic masterbater for chronic masterbaters. 5 stars

I don't get many negative or abusing comments and I don't ever delete comments. I prefer to leave them for other readers to counter-attack on my behalf. Although, I have experienced comments being deleted by Laurel.
At least you got 5 stars!

Always seems to be the anonymous comments. I've gotten a "Needs more art". I'd be happy to get some comments about grammar, plot, or anything about the actual writing. That comment just seemed like someone who didn't bother to read and just scrolled through to get to the art.

I wrote a brother / sister incest story and received feedback from not one but two Anonymous individuals suggesting the brother expressed far too much reluctance at the idea of interacting in a sexual way with his sister, as if wanting to fuck your own sister should be the default position.
Must have been the same pair that left similar comments on one of my incest stories. They both got down to it. What more do you want?

It has since been deleted, and by who I don't know, but a reader once trashed an entire story of mine because I failed to catch a mistake where I'd mistakenly inverted the R and O in 'FROM', getting 'FORM' instead. Spellcheck obviously wouldn't have caught it, and I failed to on subsequent re-reads and edits.

I felt so, 'put in my place' that I cried for days on end, nearly losing my will to... :ROFLMAO:

"Cuck maggots cheer"

Just that. Nothing else. Those three words only.

Wonder if the anonymous person who posted that has done some research on the habits of cuckold maggots and mistakenly published their findings on my story rather than in their intended publication of Nature or some such??

Must have been the same pair that left similar comments on one of my incest stories. They both got down to it. What more do you want?
A relationship, children, and a whole clan of incest, duh!
I had complaints that my bro/sis pair decided not to shag again, after a certain weekend described in detail. "You basically described a one-night stand." Yes, yes I did...

Someone clearly reads the stories that get to 'Chapter 9: Now Anne & Bob are fucking their parents too, three aunts come to stay!' I'm not going to write one.

He seems to have finally given up on me, but for a while I had a loyal reader who always gave feedback whose negativity was exceeded only by its cluelessness. I have no idea why he always read my stories, as he did not seem to like them at all. His comments always made it clear that he had either missed some things that were very clearly spelled out, or simply hadn't finished the story. My "favorite" of these was in response to On a Day Like That:

Sorry, but this makes no sense, "But she knew the real reason was Mark and Alex. Peggy's longtime crush and his ex of accursed memory."
If the guy is gay, why would she be all googah over him. Or is Peggy a boy?

If he got as far as considering that Peggy might be a boy (she wasn't), how hard is it to figure out that Alex was a woman? It could be short for Alexa or Alexandria, and it's not at all unusual as either one. And all he had to do was read a few more paragraphs before he would have gotten to this:

"Oh, he's just shy, you know that," Julie said. "And, you know, he had a thing for Alex."

"I'm not Alex, am I?"

"The exact opposite," Julie agreed. "But after she got done slaughtering Chuck's heart, he probably never wanted to bother with any of Mark's exes again.

For me it was today. Anonymous of course:

I now see where I have been going wrong as a writer and a human being. The path to self-improvement is clear.

I’m so sorry, hun, that I discombobulated you. It won’t happen again. Oops!

I have to say the passive aggressive use of please was particularly fine.

In second place was the “editor” a few months back whose first (and pretty much only) suggestion was to have two spaces after a period.

And I don’t get is why someone felt the above was a good use of their time, let alone mine.

Can you beat this? I suspect the answer is likely to be yes.

Em
I hate grammar police. The lest helpful comment I ever received was "boring."

The worst I ever got was a physical threat of assault on my person by a poster who was not antonymous. It is the only comment I ever reported to Laurel. Never heard from that poster again so I'm sure she dealt with it.

This isn't exactly feedback, but one reader keeps favoriting my stories, but doesn't actually favorite them. Tonight, he went to the trouble of favoriting a whopping 150 of them, which is nearly all of my stories. I'm not sure if he's trying to tell me he likes what I write, or what he's trying to prove. I actually find it more annoying than flattering since he just keeps doing it. Strange huh?

"Cuck maggots cheer"

Just that. Nothing else. Those three words only.

Wonder if the anonymous person who posted that has done some research on the habits of cuckold maggots and mistakenly published their findings on my story rather than in their intended publication of Nature or some such??
I hope it was peer-reviewed.

This isn't exactly feedback, but one reader keeps favoriting my stories, but doesn't actually favorite them. Tonight, he went to the trouble of favoriting a whopping 150 of them, which is nearly all of my stories. I'm not sure if he's trying to tell me he likes what I write, or what he's trying to prove. I actually find it more annoying than flattering since he just keeps doing it. Strange huh?
I've noticed that too. People will occasionally favorite or follow me, but I don't show up in their favorites. I always figured it was an error with Lit. Who knows?

Any of us who publish here get a lot of very unhelpful feedback. Outside of the insults, I find the least helpful to be those that just email me with my bad punctuation, not introductions, just telling me that an idiot for using the wrong pronoun or adjective.

I'm still quite new to writing and learning lots all the time, and I do appreciate feedback knowing my spelling and grammar are not always the best. But just emailing me and telling me I should have used 'You're', not 'Your', without explanation isn't helpful, it just makes me think the person providing feedback is some type of grammar freak that missed the emotion of the story, just to be right. This is a free site, we do this for fun not for money.

The other unhelpful feedback is when someone decides to call me 'cuck' and other names, (Yes I know, I write in LW, so I accept this is part of the category feedback most of the time). I don't believe I am a cuck, and in my stories, I don't ever view my MC's accept being cheated on even if they grant forgiveness down the line. Rant at the characters and the situations, not to the author, or if you really don't like how I wrote something, email me and privately ask to have a go at taking the story in a different way. If you have a good idea, then I won't say no...

Any of us who publish here get a lot of very unhelpful feedback. Outside of the insults, I find the least helpful to be those that just email me with my bad punctuation, not introductions, just telling me that an idiot for using the wrong pronoun or adjective.

I'm still quite new to writing and learning lots all the time, and I do appreciate feedback knowing my spelling and grammar are not always the best. But just emailing me and telling me I should have used 'You're', not 'Your', without explanation isn't helpful, it just makes me think the person providing feedback is some type of grammar freak that missed the emotion of the story, just to be right. This is a free site, we do this for fun not for money.

The other unhelpful feedback is when someone decides to call me 'cuck' and other names, (Yes I know, I write in LW, so I accept this is part of the category feedback most of the time). I don't believe I am a cuck, and in my stories, I don't ever view my MC's accept being cheated on even if they grant forgiveness down the line. Rant at the characters and the situations, not to the author, or if you really don't like how I wrote something, email me and privately ask to have a go at taking the story in a different way. If you have a good idea, then I won't say no...
Sometimes I find grammar tips helpful, sometimes not. I had one particularly meanspirited commenter say that he'd never read my work again, because I mistook "shudder" for "shutter". Fuck, okay?

The other unhelpful feedback is when someone decides to call me 'cuck' and other names,

I also hate it when people try to use my stories to try to infer things about me.
"You write about psychological abuse, so you must be a psychological abuser!"

Uhh yeah... and I'm sure Steven King is a murderous clown, because he wrote IT. 🤣

The other type of annoying comment is when people insist that your stories shouldn't contain genre staples. One commenter said that my noncon story shouldn't contain D/s. What? That's... that's like a primary feature of that category.

Another commenter seemed upset that characters in my mind control story were having their minds controlled. What did they expect?

Sometimes I find grammar tips helpful, sometimes not. I had one particularly meanspirited commenter say that he'd never read my work again, because I mistook "shudder" for "shutter". Fuck, okay?
I might have mentioned it way back at the beginning, too lazy to check 😬. But I got told off for misspelling “nemesis”. I had to explain that “emesis” was a word.

Em

I might have mentioned it way back at the beginning, too lazy to check 😬. But I got told off for misspelling “nemesis”. I had to explain that “emesis” was a word.

Em
That's hilarious, although I won't lie... I just had to look up "emesis". That's not a word I've ever used before.

Now I'm wondering what place ithe word "emesis" could possibly have in erotica... WAIT! STOP! I DON'T WANNA KNOW! 🤢

Hehe 😆

I've got a new winner folks, for the most useless comment on Fucky Friday:

Anonymous about 2 hours ago:
Kick, punch or knee HER in the balls and then STOMP on them. Bite HER cock off. This was stupid. Stab her with a knife if you have to. The rest was baloney.

First off, calling my work "baloney" is BEYOND HILARIOUS 😂 Someone needs to learn how to spell. But even if you spelled bologna correctly, that's the most weak-sauce excuse for an insult ever. Lmfao

Secondly, this is a noncon story, so I CAN, to some extent, understand someone saying "Defend yourself if someone tries to rape you."

EXCEPT: In this case (SPOILERS)

Anthony raped Delilah FIRST! Then, when they swap bodies, she returns the favor.

Obviously, this reader was PERFECT FINE with a husband taking his wife against her will, but if she does the same, she's some kind of monster?

That is fucked right up, if you ask me. You've gotta take none of it, or all of it. Anything else is hypocritical bullshit.

Turn about is fair play in situations like this... AND ALSO "pegging" and "revenge" were in the tags, so what the actual fuck.

🤣

It's over. My work is "baloney"
I'll never recover.

Last edited:
There was brief and one-off CBT in my fantasy series which is very much plot and character driven, and the comment I got was:
"CBT? You are losing the grip on the story..."

I received a comment to my recent mom-son story today from a reader who said he liked the story but insisted that I should not use the word "pussy" to describe a mature woman's vagina, but should use the word "cunt" instead.

The story is told from the first-person POV of the son, who is 19 and an American living on a farm. I think it's much more likely that such a character would use "pussy" than "cunt."

Plus, while readers are all over the map on this issue, my sense is that far more readers, especially female readers, object to "cunt" than to "pussy."

You can't win.

I received a comment to my recent mom-son story today from a reader who said he liked the story but insisted that I should not use the word "pussy" to describe a mature woman's vagina, but should use the word "cunt" instead.

The story is told from the first-person POV of the son, who is 19 and an American living on a farm. I think it's much more likely that such a character would use "pussy" than "cunt."

Plus, while readers are all over the map on this issue, my sense is that far more readers, especially female readers, object to "cunt" than to "pussy."

You can't win.
I use both. I try to be as varied as possible, and so I'll use anything I can. I used to dislike the term "snatch" but I'm getting to the point that I'm about to start using that one too. Anything to keep the repetition at bay.

The main one I can't deal with is "fanny" as an American, I just crack up whenever I read a British author use that one.

"His mum pulled down her knickers, and bent over to show him her luscious arse and smooth, moist fanny "

I'm fuckin ROLLING when I read shit like that. 🤣😂🤣

Back