What happens to individual chapters, if I delete a series?

Sunny3429

Technikfan
Some time ago, a glitch in the LIT automated series creation tool led to a duplication of all my stories. Please see here:

https://german.literotica.com/stories/memberpage.php?uid=6741516&page=submissions

Obviously the algorithm in the background is not recognizing foreign language titles correctly, maybe it can, according to the FAQ, recognize the English "Ch." and "Chapter", but not the German translations "Kap." and "Kapitel".

The new series editor would let me delete the superfluous series, and switch the series to "manual" to circumvent the flaw. I am, however, reluctant to just do it, since I found no documentation about what will happen to the chapters of the deleted story, and if such a deletion will have adverse effects on the remaining series.

Docs and FAQ were no help, can anyone clarify please? Will the duplicated chapters still exist in the remaining series and only in the remaining series if I delete the duplicated series?

Thnx, Sunny.

The chapters will stay up, but you might need to re-do the series.

I had a couple of goes to fix some broken series, but it worked out okay in the end. I deleted two broken series, and started two new ones, to get every chapter in the right sequence.

I thought I read in the FAQ (maybe?) that deleting a series does not affect the chapters themselves. I also had a superfluous series the automated system built that partially duplicated the main series. I deleted the spurious series with no evident ill effects.

Thanks a lot, I'll take the risk then, but keep a plain text copy of my texts just in case :)

One additional thing before I do: obviously the automation does not know exactly where to split the titles. The FAQ is a bit shady here, it talks about "matching words" in the title, and recognizing "Chapter" and "Ch." as a marker where to split. May be this is why German titles aren't split correctly.

Generally I love the series creation automation and would like to make use of it rather than managing all series individually and manually, and I am willing to rename all chapters to help the algorithm, but it is not documented how I should name the chapters in a foreign language. Maybe use of a special character is supported to circumvent language problems, something like

"Das Refugium - Kapitel 01: Prologue" --> "Das Refugium" + "Kapitel 01: Prologue" ?

Thnx, Sunny.

Thanks a lot, I'll take the risk then, but keep a plain text copy of my texts just in case :)
Your text won't disappear, it's only the joining up stuff that's affected.

The automatic algorithm is a plain alpha-numeric sort, that requires exactly the same sequence in the title, followed by a numeric or an alpha sequence.

For example:

Title of Story Ch.01
Title of Story Ch.02
Title of Story Ch.03
Title of Story Ch.04

Title of Story - Annabelle
Title of Story - Betty
Title of Story - Catherine
Title of Story - Debby

It’s probably worth clarifying that this is about the newish series feature within the control panel.

And not about requesting that the site remove a story.

Just on the chance someone misinterprets what’s being spoken of.

I manually created a series out of stand-alone stories and published it to see what it looked like. I then deleted the series, and the stories went back to their normal place. The only issue I have with the new series feature is that if you collect stand-alone stories with different titles together in a series, the series shows up in your list in the place of the first story title alphabetically, instead of where the series title would go alphabetically. Look here to see what I mean with the series "Until It's Time for Me to Go" ...

Title of Story Ch.01
Title of Story Ch.02
Title of Story Ch.03
Title of Story Ch.04
thanks so much, things start to clear up. one last question: how does the algorithm construct the series title?

I has thew following:

Das Refugium - Kapitel 01
Das Refugium - Kapitel 02
Das Refugium - Kapitel 03
Das Refugium - Kapitel 04

And got two series:

Das Refugium
Kapitel 01
Kapitel 02
Kapitel 03

as well as

Das Refugium - Kapitel
Kapitel 01
Kapitel 02
Kapitel 03

(which is clearly not what I had in mind)

It looks like the text split appears at the very point where the title changes, which is not good, since titles with chapter numberings will include at least one more word they have in common ("chapter", "Kapitel") which shall not appear in the series title.

How do I form a chapter caption from which the algorithm can extract the series title correctly?

Thnx again!

Don't use the dash -
I got caught out by that, too. The algorithm triggers a split on the dash for some reason, so you need a title that doesn't include that character.

I believe that you could use the series management feature to manually remove the stories from the series before deleting the series.

I'm not convinced the automation is any smarter than this, so, I predict it wouldn't mess up your attempt.

Back