Series in chapters vs one post

BlkNYLONS

Experienced
Novice writer with a long hiatus, I'm back with a new ready to post story. My newest story will be the longest for me at 1270 words, I see many stories posted in a series with chapters. Is there an advantage to post in a series with chapters or just post as an all-in-one story? Any opinions, feedback needed and appreciated?

Novice writer with a long hiatus, I'm back with a new ready to post story. My newest story will be the longest for me at 1270 words, I see many stories posted in a series with chapters. Is there an advantage to post in a series with chapters or just post as an all-in-one story? Any opinions, feedback needed and appreciated?
Your story is likely to do much better if you combine such short chapters into longer chapters or into a single story. Stories as short as 1270 words tend not to do well as stories that are over 5000 words. This is very well documented here.

Is the 1270 words a typo? Did you mean, say, 12k words or 120k? If your story is 1270 words, it can only be posted as a single entry, because the minimum length is 750 words and there's no way you could divide 1270 into more than one chapter of the minimum length.
If it's 12,700 or 120k you're probably fine doing it either way, although in the latter case you would also have the option of posting it in the novels section, where people are explicitly looking for long stories.

1270 is a VERY short story. 12,700 is not all that long, either. 127,000, I'd probably break up into parts.

Is the 1270 words a typo? Did you mean, say, 12k words or 120k? If your story is 1270 words, it can only be posted as a single entry, because the minimum length is 750 words and there's no way you could divide 1270 into more than one chapter of the minimum length.
If it's 12,700 or 120k you're probably fine doing it either way, although in the latter case you would also have the option of posting it in the novels section, where people are explicitly looking for long stories.
Yes a typo, 12,756 words, 35 pages. Thank you!

Yeah, you'll probably be fine posting that as a single entry.
It's not so long that it would turn away too many readers looking for something short and not so short that it would turn away too many readers who think short stories are worthless.
Breaking it up into two or three chapters would be fine, and might help get more readers since it would prolong your presence on the new list. That's assuming there are some natural-seeming breaks in your narrative. Even people who prefer chaptered works generally don't like the story to end in the middle of a scene.

Or about 3 and a half lit pages. At that length I'd recommend not breaking it up. Well, really, you could if it naturally contains two distinct happenings that each stand alone well. But I wouldn't go looking for ways to break it up.

If there are natural breaks/scene changes within the story; you could always insert 'chapter' headings or just a symbol e.g. ---- & ---- to indicate a break in the flow while still posting the whole as a single text.

If there are natural breaks/scene changes within the story; you could always insert 'chapter' headings or just a symbol e.g. ---- & ---- to indicate a break in the flow while still posting the whole as a single text.
Yes that’s what I've done, chapters noted at the breaks! Perfect!

I do a mix of tactics. Longer stories are broken up into chapters with either one big sex scene for each separate file here, or chapter breaks within the story as applicable. Readers who know where to find the good parts easily have yet to complain.

Novice writer with a long hiatus, I'm back with a new ready to post story.
Novice writer is a bit modest. Your stories were some of the first I read on this site twenty years ago. I'm looking forward to reading your next submission.

Novice writer is a bit modest. Your stories were some of the first I read on this site twenty years ago. I'm looking forward to reading your next submission.
Wow, thank you for the kind comment. Those stories were all first attempts of ever writing anything, because of all the very skilled authors and deserving so, I was nervous submitting anything, worried of feedback because of my grammar structure and simple editing skills. Honestly I was taken back at positive comments and emails with requests to continue. This newest story I found editing help thanks to the sites helpful editor volunteers, hopefully fewer structure grammar errors not distracting skilled writers and readers and keeping them focused on the fetish theme of the stories I'm known for writing ✍️ Newest story submitted waiting for approval. Thank you💖

Back