Best way to submit a novel length story.

Madd_Maxxine

Experienced
New here so please be gentle. I am working on a story that has now turned into a novel. My friend who is reading it says it is now more than one novel, at least in terms of length (I'm currently at 200,000 words and maybe half-way done). My question is - what is the best way to submit something like this. Chapters, Volumes, a Single work? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, is there a place here to post a sample of something for feedback before I'm ready to post a final work?

Thanks!

If you're at 200k words and estimate that you're halfway done, submitting it as a single submission is likely going to put people off.

Most of the entries in the Novels and Novella category (which is generally used for longer works) are nowhere near that length. Sci Fi and Fantasy is a category with longer works, and usually those get split up into much smaller segments.

I've written two long-ish stories (each at about 100k). I usually find that splitting them up into individual submissions of between 10,000 words and 25,000 words has worked best.

Either as one piece or in chapters seems to be fine here. I prefer in chapters to make it more digestible for the reader.

If you're at 200k words and estimate that you're halfway done, submitting it as a single submission is likely going to put people off.

Most of the entries in the Novels and Novella category (which is generally used for longer works) are nowhere near that length. Sci Fi and Fantasy is a category with longer works, and usually those get split up into much smaller segments.

I've written two long-ish stories (each at about 100k). I usually find that splitting them up into individual submissions of between 10,000 words and 25,000 words has worked best.
Thanks for the feedback. That's what I thought. I'm trying to make the early chapters more interesting to drive the story, but the work really takes off after about 10,000 words.

How does the submission process work? Do I break the chapters myself and submit each one individually?

M

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I thought. I'm trying to make the early chapters more interesting to drive the story, but the work really takes off after about 10,000 words.

How does the submission process work? Do I break the chapters myself and submit each one individually?

M
Yes, you will need to break them into chapters yourself and submit them individually, with each one labeled accordingly (Chapter 1 or Part 1, and so on).

I'd submit it in parts, between 3 Lit pages and 10 Lit pages for each part. That would be between 9,000 and 30,000 words at a time, and I wouldn't submit more than 40,000 to 50,000 words at one time.

Is there a way to edit a story after it has been published? I'm not sure I want to publish the beginning yet since I'm still working on the whole thing and I've had to go back and make a few changes as I've gone along. Suggestions?
Thanks!

I'd submit it in parts, between 3 Lit pages and 10 Lit pages for each part. That would be between 9,000 and 30,000 words at a time, and I wouldn't submit more than 40,000 to 50,000 words at one time.
That seems like a good amount. That probably represents about 2-4 chapters in my novel. I think the only tough part is that some chapters don't have a very conclusive ending, they just flow into the next one.

Also, do you put a synopsis at the beginning of each part, or do you just do that for the first section?

Is there a way to edit a story after it has been published? I'm not sure I want to publish the beginning yet since I'm still working on the whole thing and I've had to go back and make a few changes as I've gone along. Suggestions?
Thanks!
Submit as a chapter with the same title and the word “EDIT” on the end. It took two weeks for my two chapters that were waiting for edits.

I went down that route because getting through the AI hurdle to publishing has been a killer.

I'd say chapters, both because it will initially feel like less of a commitment and thus get more reads - at least the first chapter - and because it provides natural stopping points for the readers who continue and an easy way to pick up where they left off.

The Novels and SF/F categories are more amenable to long works, and also more tolerant if some of the chapters have no sex in them. But there's less readership there. If it is something that can be broken into chapters that can be satisfying in isolation, going as chapters in other categories might work, but at the expense of probably needing some catch-up passage in each for new readers. Then the decision will be, all in the same category or spread them around?

Submit as a chapter with the same title and the word “EDIT” on the end. It took two weeks for my two chapters that were waiting for edits.

I went down that route because getting through the AI hurdle to publishing has been a killer.
What's the AI hurdle?

You aren't allowed to do linking inside the story; you can have a note; please read ### before reading this. You call each posting (multi or single chapters) with the same name and #1, #2, and so on. You can also create a series page. This is my Mr. Lucky Series as an example of what they look like.
That seems like a good amount. That probably represents about 2-4 chapters in my novel. I think the only tough part is that some chapters don't have a very conclusive ending, they just flow into the next one.

Also, do you put a synopsis at the beginning of each part, or do you just do that for the first section?

I'd say chapters, both because it will initially feel like less of a commitment and thus get more reads - at least the first chapter - and because it provides natural stopping points for the readers who continue and an easy way to pick up where they left off.

The Novels and SF/F categories are more amenable to long works, and also more tolerant if some of the chapters have no sex in them. But there's less readership there. If it is something that can be broken into chapters that can be satisfying in isolation, going as chapters in other categories might work, but at the expense of probably needing some catch-up passage in each for new readers. Then the decision will be, all in the same category or spread them around?
Oh I make sure that there is something sexual or at least erotic in almost every chapter. That's why the thing has gotten so huge. (No pun intended)

Some very successful writers of very long works in Novels have a preliminary blurb on each chapter that reminds readers of the characters involved and a bit of "previously in..." kind of thing to catch the reader up.

Some very successful writers of very long works in Novels have a preliminary blurb on each chapter that reminds readers of the characters involved and a bit of "previously in..." kind of thing to catch the reader up.
Probably should have done that with mine, but I committed to just “Act X, Chapter Y” and then straight into the story, relying on the series links and the forum for people to read them…

It's also wise, if possible, to have the whole damn thing finished before you post any parts. Then publish new parts at regular intervals.

You aren't allowed to do linking inside the story; you can have a note; please read ### before reading this. You call each posting (multi or single chapters) with the same name and #1, #2, and so on. You can also create a series page. This is my Mr. Lucky Series as an example of what they look like.
Not sure if I fully understand. Can I have "Story Title Vol 1" "Story Title Vol 2" etc. but each volume might have several internal chapters in it?

It's also wise, if possible, to have the whole damn thing finished before you post any parts. Then publish new parts at regular intervals.
I swear that was my original intention :ROFLMAO:

By the way @MillieDynamite after the next one is published you can now read my works start to finish up to the end of act 2, in chronological order :ROFLMAO:

Only taken a month!

Act 3 is going to be April STrent’s problem…

As to length, there is a story I am following in SF/F that so far has 26 chapters of 10-15K each, and nearly every chapter is over 4.8. The first chapter had over 800K reads, but that has dropped into the 10-20K range for the later chapters.

He's got another one still going that is around 350K words cumulative.

But then, this guy has 8000 followers.

Yes, you can, or part, but just #1 and #2 use fewer characters than the 35-ish you are allowed.
Not sure if I fully understand. Can I have "Story Title Vol 1" "Story Title Vol 2" etc. but each volume might have several internal chapters in it?

Everyone back up, were not sure how big this thing will get. :p😱:eek:
Excerpt:
“Who is that man over there that seems to be watching us?”
Rebecca looked up, “Oh, that’s Kauri.” Before Cassidy had a chance to say anything, she was calling the man over. As he got closer, Cassidy couldn’t believe her eyes. He was massive. He looked to be about 6’6” and was muscled in a way that would make body builders cry. He had deep brown skin and wavy black hair. He wore nothing but a loincloth and a sling of arrows on his back.
“I recall that the Pacific Islanders try to name their children with something meaningful. Does Kauri mean anything?”
“Very good Cassie for remembering that – bonus points to you! Yes, Kauri is a type of giant tree that grows on some of the islands – kind of like our Sequoias.”
“Well, they sure got that one right, didn’t they,” joked Cassidy.
“You betcha,” Rebecca replied, “and wait until you see the wood he is packing.”

I did an 86.6k word story as a one-off - it had chapters within it though. It was hard to split it as it had a big lead into the sex as it charted a relationship. I pit it in the N/N section and it did ok, the voted scuppered by some 1's.

looking at your synopsis on another thread, it looks as if can be split. With multiple ones, use Pt1, Pt2, type things and give a run-down at the start if it's not obvious what's going o. If it is a more stand alone chapter, then the fact it says 'Pt3' should be very obvious there are other bits.

I have added a little run down before episodes as the reader may not know what is going on, but try and have a clean start, so they can be read alone.

as your story progresses, you will get a better feel of what is right... but even i'd think twice about 200k words in one go.

Back