What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When faced with irrefutable fact, that our defense spending is more than 6 times that of the number two spot (who coincidentally is named as the bogey-man of the year, China), ignore it and go for the personal attack. One that's just as misinformed as your other opinions by the way. :rolleyes:

Typical. You should stick to C&P bullshit from right wing blogs. At least then you can claim that it wasn't YOU who said whatever stupid shit that gets thrown in your face, you simply repeated it. As if that makes a difference.

I think instead you ought to consider the diplomatic, military and IC needs and issues around the world (like Lustopia summarized) and realize that a cutback in our ability to deal with issues in the world is not a viable alternative, particularly with a world that is destabilizing in front of our faces. You call for cutbacks with scant knowledge of the world in which we live, merely a covetous glance at the at the resources needed to support our nation's efforts is enough for you to declare that we should have a cutback. I don't mean to be insulting so I'll try to say this diplomatically, but it's a dangerous call you make from both a historical and present perspective and it's based on almost no knowledge of the world or the challenges therein.

Nonetheless, there would have been no downgrade. Own it.

Just like there would have been no downgrade with another trillion or so in deficit reduction from rolling back the Bush tax cuts on the top 2% wealthiest Americans. Own it.

Last edited:
I especially enjoyed Ulaven's deep ideas about nuclear deterrent. We don't need no stinkin' army, sez Captian Ulaven....

I think he's more questing why our Army is responsible for protecting the likes of Japan and Germany, which are among the most powerful nations in the world.

Or fuck it, just make a 10-cent straw man argument.

Just like there would have been no downgrade with another trillion or so in deficit reduction from rolling back the Bush tax cuts on the top 2% wealthiest Americans. Own it.

yeah, like taxing the top 2% would generate trillions. the end result, the economy still sucks.

why? --> glad you asked.

no confidence in obama. pure and simple. if obama came out and said income taxes will stay where they are at for the next 2 years, 5 years...well watch out as the economy booms.

too bad, people like you and obama are dumb fucktards

The Euros are so friendly with each other that they share a goddamned currency for cryin out loud. And I feel comfy saying if we left they could hold of toe Soviets till we got there.

Given my honest choice I wouldn't cut bases. I think it's a great thing that we get young Americans out of the country for a few months of their lives to experience what things are like in other places. If it were truly up to me I'd raise taxes (or cut something other than personell and foriegn bases) to make up for the difference and increase the number of people overseas. But as someone who's actually willing to negotiate everything is on the table.

the only economy over there is Germany. France is about to get downgraded. they are drowning in debt

too many fucktards living off the system, not enough workers.

long live the welfare state, right Sean?

The Euros are so friendly with each other that they share a goddamned currency for cryin out loud. And I feel comfy saying if we left they could hold of toe Soviets till we got there.

Given my honest choice I wouldn't cut bases. I think it's a great thing that we get young Americans out of the country for a few months of their lives to experience what things are like in other places. If it were truly up to me I'd raise taxes (or cut something other than personell and foriegn bases) to make up for the difference and increase the number of people overseas. But as someone who's actually willing to negotiate everything is on the table.

The House passed Cut Cap and Balance, the Democrat Senate voted against it, if they would have passed it, we wouldn't have had a downgrade. It is the intransigence of Democrats that is to blame. Own it.

Utter bullshit.
The House wasted it's time on a bill it knew beforehand didn't have a chance in hell of passing either the Senate or the President's desk. It was a purely political move. You know it but will never admit it, I know it, and so does everyone else.

oh come on, we all know you are full of bullshit, that's all you speak

Utter bullshit.
The House wasted it's time on a bill it knew beforehand didn't have a chance in hell of passing either the Senate or the President's desk. It was a purely political move. You know it but will never admit it, I know it, and so does everyone else.

Utter bullshit.

He'll admit it. He doesn't care. Obama should have been a real leader and surrendered to the desires of the minority. He knew these were not people willing to negotiate so just like you do when any crazy person has a gun to your head you do what they fucking say. If you talk back to the crazy person. . .well it's your damn fault when they shoot you.

He'll admit it. He doesn't care. Obama should have been a real leader and surrendered to the desires of the minority. He knew these were not people willing to negotiate so just like you do when any crazy person has a gun to your head you do what they fucking say. If you talk back to the crazy person. . .well it's your damn fault when they shoot you.

awesome, so we agree that obama isn't a leader. perfect! there might be hope for you

Raising the taxes on the 2% wealthiest Americans by 20% makes an almost imperceptable difference in the annual deficit and you know it as well as I do.

There's 40% more government spending than there is revenue from taxes so in order to sustain this level of spending that the democrats defended so vehemently in the debt discussions (and Obama said in his speech "we can't cut any more"), we'd have to raise rates on almost everyone by about 40% to get close to balancing the budget...and that doesn't even include starting to pay down the existing debt that we have. If you wanted to do that, we'd have to raise EVERYONE's taxes by 50%.

Are you ready for a 50% tax increase? If you want to maintain this level of spending, that's what the price is going to be.

I think the spending is so far out of whack that everyone will have to start paying income taxes, including a large percent of the 47% who currently don't have to pay any since the Bush tax cuts.

I still like my idea of just taxing democrats to pay for the spending that they voted for. I didn't vote for it. I didn't vote for Obamacare either...let those who voted for Obamacare pay for it.

Nevertheless, adding just 20% to the taxes that 2% of the people pay doesn't really add up to squat given the outrageous size of the spending imbalance that we have...this outrageous level of spending isn't doing us any good and it has consequences and we'll all have to pay for it one way or another sooner or later...we can't run from it nor escape it. The piper has to get paid sometime, someway and it so large that it ain't just going to be some abstract "rich"guy who pays it.

Last edited:
clearly "rich" people must pay so that people like Merc, Sean, UD, Royn, and the many others don't have to pay

its easy for them to watch others to pay, cuz they have no money!

Raising the taxes on the 2% wealthiest Americans by 20% makes an almost imperceptable difference in the annual debt and you know it as well as I do.

There's 40% more government spending than there is revenue from taxes so in order to sustain this level of spending that the democrats defended so vehemently in the debt discussions (and Obama said in his speech "we can't cut any more"), we'd have to raise rates on almost everyone by about 40% to get close to balancing the budget...and that doesn't even include starting to pay down the existing debt that we have. If you wanted to do that, we'd have to raise EVERYONE's taxes by 50%.

Are you ready for a 50% tax increase?

I think the spending is so far out of whack that everyone will have to start paying income taxes, including a large percent of the 47% who currently don't have to pay any since the Bush tax cuts.

I still like my idea of just taxing democrats to pay for the spending that they voted for. I didn't vote for it. I didn't vote for Obamacare either...let those who voted for Obamacare pay for it.

Utter bullshit.

Is that what the center for American progress says? Seek counseling.

Raising the taxes on the 2% wealthiest Americans by 20% makes an almost imperceptable difference in the annual deficit and you know it as well as I do.

Are you ready for a 50% tax increase? If you want to maintain this level of spending, that's what the price is going to be.

Nevertheless, adding just 20% to the taxes that 2% of the people pay doesn't really add up to squat given the outrageous size of the spending imbalance that we have...this outrageous level of spending isn't doing us any good and it has consequences and we'll all have to pay for it one way or another sooner or later...we can't run from it nor escape it. The piper has to get paid sometime, someway and it so large that it ain't just going to be some abstract "rich"guy who pays it.

What utter tripe. :rolleyes:

First where did you get this figure of top 2% taxes raised by 20%, last I checked it was closer to the top 10% getting their taxes raised by about 3%. I'm quite certain that raising taxes 20% on the top 2% would have a HUGE impact on the deficiet. It would probably erase it outright for next year. You're doing one of two things here. Either A) You're pretending this year's deficiet is normal. It includes a trillion dollar stimulus that won't be on next years bill, it includes two wars both of which have been scaled back throughout the year and you're forgetting that unemployment is down, not much but it down and that when you add in how many new workers we get each month that there are still a good bit more workers this year than than last. The deficiet will be considerably lower even if we sit on our hands. B) You're confusing the debt with the deficiet which I notice everybody but particularly righties do constantly.

Are you really this foolish?

"There's 40% more government spending than there is revenue from taxes so in order to sustain this level of spending . . .snip. . .we'd have to raise rates on almost everyone by about 40% to get close to balancing the budget...and that doesn't even include starting to pay down the existing debt that we have. If you wanted to do that, we'd have to raise EVERYONE's taxes by 50%."

This is PRECISELY why we have a progressive tax. You're average American makes roughtly 50k. A forty or fifty (20k or 25k) tax would admittedly add up eventually. But a mere 2.5% tax on a millionare is 25k. You wouldn't have to raise everybody's taxes at all. Not saying you necessarily shouldn't but your shoveling bullshit.

Liar. The CBO has said that keeping the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest 2% of Americans for the next decade will cost $690 billion dollars, plus $140 billion in extra interest on that debt. That's $830 billion when the accounting is done based on borrowing at a AAA credit rating we no longer have. So your Bush cuts just became more costly.

They also say the total Bush cuts will cost us $3.7 over the next decade.

Sources:
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10871/BudgetOutlook2010_Jan.cfm
http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?p=465

Liar. The CBO has said that keeping the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest 2% of Americans for the next decade will cost $690 billion dollars, plus $140 billion in extra interest on that debt. That's $830 billion when the accounting is done based on borrowing at a AAA credit rating we no longer have. So your Bush cuts just became more costly.

They also say the total Bush cuts will cost us $3.7 over the next decade.

Sources:
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10871/BudgetOutlook2010_Jan.cfm
http://cboblog.cbo.gov/?p=465

No seriously, when did the Bush tax cuts hit 20%? Was I THAT out of it?!

The Pubs had a plan, the Dummies in the UD party had none. They didn't care if it would work or not, it wasn't their plan, so they voted against it so they could maintain the fiction that the only answer was to raise taxes.

Raising taxes is the only plan they had, watch UD/mercmoron keep whining about it. Makes for a good laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back