What happened to all of the doom and gloom economic threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
by Datechguy | April 8th, 2013

On Friday my first post of the day talked about how the LOW figure of the Obama years that the left considers so draconian was an incredible increase in spending.

At noontime I pointed out that even if you adjust for inflation the low year of the Obama spending years (2010) compared to the low year of the Bush years (2001) represented a 34% increase in real spending.

However a REAL clever person of the left might look at this and say:

“You can’t fool me DaTechGuy, your figures are all before 9/11 and the war on terror, of COURSE the Obama years cost more because you are comparing them to a year where spending didn’t include all those horrible Bush wars.”

It’s a fair cop (and a point I often make myself) and yes I did it deliberately for two reasons.

1. I wanted to compare the low years of each president, and 2001 was the low Bush year

2. It’s a trap for you oh leftists

So let’s look at this using a different year, 2005, two wars going on, Bush re-elected and all that jazz. That 2005 spending adjusted for inflation comes up to

$2,874,464,591,191.35

If we compare that adjusted for inflation figure with the smallest Obama spending year EVAH! $3,456 Billion dollars we find it is 83.17% of What Barack Obama spent.

That means Barack Obama in 2010 spent over 20% MORE than George Bush did at the height of two wars in 2005.

Ok all you 18-30 year olds that’s only 8 years ago. You were all alive then. If you were born in 1995 or later you can relate to this.

Are we 20% better off than 2005?
Is your government doing 20% more?
Do we have 20% more roads and bridges?
If the government doing 20% more to help you find work?
Have we managed to do 20% more in all those things?

And yet if we went back to that figure, as far as the president, the Democrat Senate and the MSM is concerned, we would be having cuts so draconian that humanity might not survive.

How stupid do they think we are? Pretty damn stupid, but the truth is we’re not stupid, just uninformed.

Not anymore.

Bernanke bullshit coming home to roost:

Trust in Gold Not Bernanke as U.S. States Promote Bullion
By Amanda J. Crawford - Apr 7, 2013 9:01 PM PT

Distrust of the Federal Reserve and concern that U.S. dollars may become worthless are fueling a push in more than a dozen states to recognize gold and silver coins as legal tender.
Lawmakers in Arizona are poised to follow Utah, which authorized bullion for currency in 2011. Similar bills are advancing in Kansas, South Carolina and other states.

More here:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-...t-bernanke-as-u-s-states-promote-bullion.html

Oops, you stopped quoting before the good part!

The measures backed by the limited-government Tea Party movement are mostly symbolic -- you still can’t pay for groceries with gold in Utah. They reflect lingering dollar concerns, amplified by the Fed’s unconventional moves in recent years to stabilize the economy, said Loren Gatch, who teaches politics at the University of Central Oklahoma.

The Republican party's boundless faith in the power of symbolic measures is a sight to behold.

Last edited:
Or this bit, Vette. Why didn't you include this part in your quote?

Tame Inflation

Consumer prices rose just 1.3 percent in February from a year earlier, according to an inflation measure favored by the Fed. That was below the central bank’s 2 percent target and compares with occasional bouts of more-than 10 percent increases in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Bets that inflation would pick up because of economic- stimulus measures helped fuel a 78 percent jump in gold since December 2008. The dollar’s rise to less than 1 percent below a one-year high set in July and monthly increases of about 2 percent or less in the U.S. consumer price index have curbed demand for bullion. Since reaching a record $1,923.70 an ounce in 2011, gold prices have fallen and are near a bear market.

ECON90_0410-(2).gif.cms

Small businesses, who employ the bulk of American workers, don't plan to hire additional staff, in another sign the job market is deteriorating again.

The National Federation of Independent Business said Tuesday that confidence among small firms dropped, with its index dipping to 89.5 in March from 90.8 in February.

The share of firms planning to grow employment minus the share planning to shrink it fell to a net 0%, the lowest in a year, from 4% in the prior month.

The survey also found business owners were no more pessimistic on the economy, but the balance of sales expectations swung to -4% from 1%. Small firms also were more inclined to shrink inventories and less inclined to think now is a good time to expand.

The NFIB index comes days after the Labor Department said nonfarm payrolls grew by just 88,000 in March, after averaging gains of more than 200,000 in the earlier five months.

The latest jobs report seems to indicate a pattern of strong winter hiring followed by a spring or summer slump will be repeated this year.

"After another false start, small-business confidence has sputtered and stalled again," said Bill Dunkelberg, NFIB's chief economist, in a statement Tuesday. "For the sector that produces half the private GDP and employs half the private sector workforce — the fact that they are not growing, not hiring, not borrowing and not expanding like they should be, is evidence enough that uncertainty is slowing the economy."

The NFIB also found business owners were slightly less pessimistic on current sales, profit trends and the credit outlook. Plans for capital spending were unchanged

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/economy/0...ng-outlook-at-year-low-nfib.htm#ixzz2PyPHf2uN
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook

Trading halted.

should b interesting

one or the other will look like a GENIUS

one or the other a JACKASS

Ichan can afford to look like one, the other cant

me thinks, Carl I will take em over just to fuck the other guy'

should b interesting

one or the other will look like a GENIUS

one or the other a JACKASS

Ichan can afford to look like one, the other cant

me thinks, Carl I will take em over just to fuck the other guy'

opps

AUDITOR steps down

Yo

carl

CALL YOUR OFFICE:D

I like when the big boys lose money. Sure it's petty of me, but the sour grapes of them losing more in one deal than I will make in a life-time makes me smile.

the short guy

(Einhorn? Ackaman?) I forget

WILL CLEAN UP

Don't worry for Carl.....he still have $6 billion:D

Ackman. He's a dick too, but its still fun to watch.

Ackman shorted, Icahn bought 15% to pump up the price and squeeze Ackman.

Ackman Reprieve: Herbalife Halt Likely Due To Resignation Of Auditor KPMG

Moments before the open, HLF stock, of the infamous Ackman-Icahn spat, was halted for trading with news pending. Rumors quickly spread that this was due to Icahn pushing to add insult to injury and either tendering for the company, or LBOing it outright. Then moments ago, NYT's DealBook reported that this is due to a KPMG resignation over an investigation, which immediately was assumed by the other camp to imply a fault with HLF's books. Yet, as we reported in the frontrunning post (and tweeted subsequently), the resignation may have nothing to do at all with Herbalife and everything to do with a KPMG partner leaking inside info, and totally unrelated to any improprieties at HLF.

From NYT:

Herbalife is poised to disclose on Tuesday that KPMG will have to resign as the company’s auditor, following the accounting firm’s firing of a senior paetner, according to a person briefed on the matter.

Herbalife shares were halted for trading because of news pending on Tuesday morning.

KPMG disclosed late Monday that it had fired the partner, who was based in Los Angeles, for providing inside information to an unnamed individual who then traded in shares of several West Coast companies. The firm did not name the fired partner, but described the individual as having led accounts for some clients in the region.The accountancy did not name the companies whose
confidential information was disclosed as part of the scheme.

A call to a spokesman for Herbalife was not immediately returned.

For now, mostly confusion and chaos, and it is best to wait for the official HLF release which should clarify what the full story is.

Of course, it would be poetic if somehow Icahn discovered a weak leaked link that had been linked, pardon the pun, to someone in the Ackman entourage, and then used it as ammo to bring securities charges.

Because remember:

That Icahn is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until Ackman is destroyed.

Face it, Obamunism is destroying the economy and devouring thr civil society.

You don't think the economy has anything to do with corporate greed and corruption or legislator's greed and corruption both of which is destructive to civil society?

You don't think the economy has anything to do with corporate greed and corruption or legislator's greed and corruption both of which is destructive to civil society?

STFU......clown!

has nothing t do with it

there was NO GREED etc under Bush when the GDP was 7%?

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back