Well, Trump has finally and overtly committed treason

We have convicted spies and domestic terrorists for giving aid to countries that we were not formally at war with. "Open" war is subject to interpretation. Russia illegally invaded the Ukraine, and was under broadly supported sanctions.

Your statements may provide the technical basis for Trump beating a legal treason charge, but your last statement above ^^^ is an unnecessary slap in the face to those who understand the broader political definition of treason.

The people will ultimately decide if Trump was working on behalf of American interests or was giving aid to an aggressive military adversary. It is not "disingenuous" for people to conclude at this point that Trump was giving aid to the Russians by shifting the blame for Russian military-led aggression from the Russians to Trump's U.S. predecessors.

He's a traitor, and I don't care how much you might want to browbeat those who regard him in that way.

We certainly have - but not for treason. The last US conviction for treason was in 1952 - for a US citizen of Japanese origin who served in the Japanese army as a prison guard during WWII.

Treason is just simply not relevant as a legal case.

BB is just an apologist for the Koch Brothers. Whatever they favor, he does. That's my conclusion of late. If you meet Chuck or Dave, BB, after you get their autograph, tell them that Sev says to kiss his ass, both of those plutocratic ass wipes.

We have convicted spies and domestic terrorists for giving aid to countries that we were not formally at war with. "Open" war is subject to interpretation. Russia illegally invaded the Ukraine, and was under broadly supported sanctions.

Your statements may provide the technical basis for Trump beating a legal treason charge, but your last statement above ^^^ is an unnecessary slap in the face to those who understand the broader political definition of treason.

The people will ultimately decide if Trump was working on behalf of American interests or was giving aid to an aggressive military adversary. It is not "disingenuous" for people to conclude at this point that Trump was giving aid to the Russians by shifting the blame for Russian military-led aggression from the Russians to Trump's U.S. predecessors.

He's a traitor, and I don't care how much you might want to browbeat those who regard him in that way.

Would you feel better if he brought a "reset" button to his meeting with Puti?

I'm shocked that the righties are trying to spin this as something other than appalling. Shocked, I tell you!

John O. Brennan

Verified account

@JohnBrennan
Follow Follow @JohnBrennan

Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of “high crimes & misdemeanors.” It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???

8:52 AM - 16 Jul 2018

Would you feel better if he brought a "reset" button to his meeting with Puti?

Another Whatabout Hillary talking point-- shift the conversation to someone who did not let the Russians off the hook for aggressive military action.

But Traitor Trump went even further than that-- the fucking traitor blamed that military aggression on the U.S.! Fucking unbelievable, and the Repugnicans are backing him up!

Donald Trump committed treason on 28 July 2016 when, in a nationally televised press conference, he invited the Russians to find and publish over 30,000 of Hillary Clinton's e-mails. That was before the election. Anyone who voted in the election had access to Trump's open, direct act of treason. He has only continued exhibiting as a blackmailed asset of Russia since then. Trump exhibiting treason publicly isn't just happening now. It happened two years ago--for all to see and to decide if they were going to be complicit in his treason or not (if they were U.S. citizens).

I love how the (D)'s are all of a sudden beating the war drums LOL

If any of that shit is to be taken seriously then we need to launch a strike against Russia.

If the suddenly anti-Russia (D)'s want to call it treason then they need to have the balls to openly declare Russia and enemy we're at war with.

^^^^What a dumb-shit thing to say, as if military strikes are the only option! I guess I should expect this from a military hardware goon. He's a traitor whether it fits your definition of open war or not.

Your traitor in the White House just undermined the sanctions.

No, I didn't write these things "in defense" of any party.
Mine was a politically neutral statement.

I'm just perpetually taken aback by the naiivitee of some American posters from this forum. "Did you hear that Bomb! Russians have been spying on the US or trying to interfere! OMG! We're at cyberwar!"

When most of the world went like: "Oooh k. Competing superpowers are spying on or trying t sabotage each other. Most countries, even neighbours do it to each other. Tell me something that's not common sense. "

^^^^What a dumb-shit thing to say, as if military strikes are the only option!

You say we are at war with Russia.

If we are at war then why not? :confused:

Nothing says "Stop that shit" like a JDAM through someones front door.

He's a traitor whether it fits your definition of open war or not.

No he's not, he's a traitor when Congress says he is.

Your traitor in the White House just undermined the sanctions.

My traitor? LOL you need to put the crack pipe down bubba.

Not being totally drunk with hatred for Trump doesn't make me a supporter of his.

Nobody is beating war drums-- your Repugnicans just waved a big white flag.

Oh so we're not at war with Russia??

You gotta pick one....being at war is like being pregnant we either are or aren't.

your Repugnicans just waved a big white flag.

Again, not being a (D)ick sucker doesn't make me a Republican or a supporter.

I know people have been claiming it for some time, but until today I've not seen anything other than very circumstantial evidence that Trump himself was treasonous.

However, with the most recent indictments there's no question that the Russian government attacked the US in 2016.
Trump's response, as we saw today, was to say it's the US's fault, making Putin very happy, while at the same time again calling the press the enemy of the people because they'll report his efforts to make the US take the blame for the Russian attack.

If that's not treason I don't know what is. - 18 U.S. Code § 2381 - Treason

Trump is worse than Neville Chamberlain.
Not only is he appeasing Putin, he's having the US take the blame for their attacks on a sovereign nation. All Chamberlain did was appease Hitler and look the other way.

Stay the course, my friend.

Your unsubstantiated attacks on Donald Trump lead to his election.

Your continued unsubstantiated attacks will ensure the Republicans maintain control of the House and the Senate in 2018.

I'm just perpetually taken aback by the naiivitee of some American posters from this forum. "Did you hear that Bomb! Russians have been spying on the US or trying to interfere! OMG! We're at cyberwar!"

When most of the world went like: "Oooh k. Competing superpowers are spying on or to sabotage each other. Most countries, even neighbours do it. Tell me something that's not common sense. "

Neutral?

You an equivocating wimp, the perfect tool for propagandists. Have you even heard about the invasion of the Ukraine? Do you also agree with Trump and the Russian propagandists that this invasion was the fault of the U.S.?

The term "cyberwar" is a term of art, not a legal definition. It lacks one of the three necessary elements of war (violence). It may be a lesser crime, depending on what is done and how, up to including espionage and terrorism (e.g. an attack on a power grid, etc.).

Cyber operations may be part of an actual war (e.g. when the allies hacked and disabled the Iraqi air defense grid), but in and of itself, lacking violence, is not legally considered an act of war.
The DoD recognize cyberwar as a national security threat.
The White House recognizes cyber attacks as warranting a military response
When warranted, the United States will respond to hostile acts in cyberspace as we would to any other threat to our country. We reserve the right to use all necessary means — diplomatic, informational, military, and economic — as appropriate and consistent with applicable international law, in order to defend our Nation, our allies, our partners, and our interests. In so doing, we will exhaust all options before military force whenever we can; will carefully weigh the costs and risks of action against the costs of inaction; and will act in a way that reflects our values and strengthens our legitimacy, seeking broad international support whenever possible.

International Strategy for Cyberspace, The White House, 2011
Sounds like they consider it an act of war also.

Just because the US Code legal definitions haven't caught up with the present, doesn't mean cyberwar isn't real.
Even Trump considers them an act of war, suggesting a nuclear response to non-nuclear strategic attacks against the US.

When most of the world went like: "Oooh k. Competing superpowers are spying on or trying t sabotage each other. Most countries, even neighbours do it to each other. Tell me something that's not common sense. "

It's only bad because Trump and (R)'s.

When the (D)'s do it they call it "international relations" and pretend it's all great no matter how deep the shit gets.

It's nice to have someone else in here besides me talking sense for a change. But as I have painfully discovered, it is beyond merely frustrating when people who have not the slightest knowledge of or concern for the law attempt to make "legal" arguments when they feel their personal ox has been gored.

Maddening.
The fact that Trump gored the US to Putin's delight is not a "feeling".

And I love how the party of Reagan is suddenly all bending over for a Russian dictator.

yet another example of your blatant partisan hackery

The Gipper made agreements with Russia. He never collaborated with, sided with, endorsed, or blamed America for Russia.

The fact that Trump gored the US to Putin's delight is not a "feeling".

Well, it is a feeling--one of revulsion. The real kicker is that it's the Republicans who are buying into Trump on all of this. My goodness, the lengths one will go to to be a man controlling a woman's body.

Back