Water soluble colored pencils

THROBBS

I am Fauve
Have you ever used Water soluble colored pencils?

I loves them!

If you have, what brand is your favorite?

Prismacolor, Derwent, Faber-Castell, Caran d-Ache, Crayola...?
I think I have some of all of those and pretty sure that Derwent and Caran d'Ache have the most saturated colors.
I find that to get the most out of them, as one might expect, one should use a good quality paper with some tooth.

I really need a better (faster) orgianization system tho'. Especially when "on the road". jumbled in a box is not very efficent.

Have you ever used Water soluble colored pencils?

I loves them!

If you have, what brand is your favorite?

Prismacolor, Derwent, Faber-Castell, Caran d-Ache, Crayola...?
I think I have some of all of those and pretty sure that Derwent and Caran d'Ache have the most saturated colors.
I find that to get the most out of them, as one might expect, one should use a good quality paper with some tooth.

I really need a better (faster) orgianization system tho'. Especially when "on the road". jumbled in a box is not very efficent.
LOVE my Caran d’Ache Supracolor Soft ones.

Don’t expect it to make sense. The books are completely free associative one-offs. They are a sort of mind museum. The point here is to show the marker and colored pencil effect. ( Plus some strokes of white acrylic paint.)

Attachments

• IMG_6613.png
    IMG_6613.png
    627.8 KB · Views: 20
Faber-Castell Albrecht Dürer. Very brilliant colors, soft and efficient. Used them to "paint" a mural on wall paper+layer of wall paint. With some patience aka letting the layers dry you can stack colors too.

I also have Castle Arts Supplies, but those really fade in comparison. You need more pressure to apply the color, they don't come close to the brilliance of the Faber-Castell and they have this certain chemical smell which I doubt is a good promise of the colors' longevity. But managed this project with them.

Those from Staedtler are somewhere in between, price-wise as well. Need more pressure and less vivid colors than the Faber-Castell.

The only stupid thing about the Faber-Castell is that the pencils are slightly thicker than the standard size and don't work with standard sharpeners, but maybe that's why they don't break so easily. Dropped them occasionally, but you could always continue working.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback and observations!

It is really neat how colored pencils (of any sort) can really jump on toned paper!

One example of using water soluble colored pencils (no idea which brands, as they tend to get mixed up)
but I do know this was done on crap, plain copier paper...

(and the scan is a bit blown out)

BlueFAIRYFOUNTAIN-IMF.jpg

Last edited:

It is really neat how colored pencils (of any sort) can really jump on toned paper!

One example of using water soluble colored pencils (no idea which brands, as they tend to get mixed up)

View attachment 2298695
Jay-zuz!

View attachment 2298695
You have a wonderful imagination! You draw completely unique images. You come up with scenes that, at least to me, are brand new. I like that so much more than the same old subjects shown in artless ways.

You have a wonderful imagination! You draw completely unique images. You come up with scenes that, at least to me, are brand new. I like that so much more than the same old subjects shown in artless ways.
Awe! Thank you.

So glad that you don't get out much. LOL

I reckon that your work is far more unique than mine!
And when combined with your prose — doubly so.

Well, it isn't DAZ rendered or A.I. which is trending pretty hard these days. :)
Don’t know what DAZ is. Don’t want to even start on A.I.
True, most of my drawings here are done on my touch screen cell phone using YouDoodle, so the images you see aren’t pen or pencil on paper, but my finger drew them on a phone screen, often over a preliminary pencil sketch that I did.
However it’s produced, I like to see the human touch.

I reckon that your work is far more unique than mine!
And when combined with your prose — doubly so.
Maybe in style…but I don’t come up with things like a guy in a bottle or your fairy/cock scene.

Don’t know what DAZ is. Don’t want to even start on A.I.
True, most of my drawings here are done on my touch screen cell phone using YouDoodle, so the images you see aren’t pen or pencil on paper, but my finger drew them on a phone screen, often over a preliminary pencil sketch that I did.
However it’s produced, I like to see the human touch.
DAZ is a 3D image generating software (as an example).
I think Monica, Nemiegs and JustTeasingU use DAZ (or something similar)

You should be able to see similarities and some differences. It is a tool which can generate some "canned" images, but also allows one to add to and adjust/finesse as much one is able to and has software to do so. Because it is 3D software, once a character is created, there are possibilities of posing and placing and lighting...

My personal tastes lean more towards the "human touch" as well, even in digital media. Actual digital painting CAN be as meaningful/artistic as physical painting. I mean using a digital stylus with brush (or pen, pencil, pastel) tools to actually apply those mediums (in pixels). VS applying digital filters to fake brush strokes and canvas textures etc. to, say a photograph.

Maybe in style…but I don’t come up with things like a guy in a bottle or your fairy/cock scene.

I suppose those are marginally unique, vs a straight up sex scene... which I've also drawn! LOL

DAZ is a 3D image generating software (as an example).
I think Monica, Nemiegs and JustTeasingU use DAZ (or something similar)

You should be able to see similarities and some differences. It is a tool which can generate some "canned" images, but also allows one to add to and adjust/finesse as much one is able to and has software to do so. Because it is 3D software, once a character is created, there are possibilities of posing and placing and lighting...

My personal tastes lean more towards the "human touch" as well, even in digital media. Actual digital painting CAN be as meaningful/artistic as physical painting. I mean using a digital stylus with brush (or pen, pencil, pastel) tools to actually apply those mediums (in pixels). VS applying digital filters to fake brush strokes and canvas textures etc. to, say a photograph.

I suppose those are marginally unique, vs a straight up sex scene... which I've also drawn! LOL
Thank you for your explanation, THROBBS. You’d be a good teacher. Or maybe you are one?
There are places for all of these media. Like everything in life, they can be used for good or ill; they can be liked by some and disliked by others; their possibilities are endless.
For me, for my taste, as I’ve said, I like some indication that a human touch was involved. Whether by stylus, pen or finger on a touch screen, those techniques say “human” to me.
I seek connection; isn’t that the whole point of the arts in general, to connect us?
Artists, writers, musicians, dancers, etc… express themselves in order to connect, to be received, to be heard and maybe even understood. That’s why we like these quasi-instant communication spaces. We want to feel we aren’t alone in this world.

Back to water soluble colored pencils (and less imaginative sex scene)

This was from memory (same day) as it happened, from my point of view.

Again on plain ol' copier paper.

View attachment 2298803

another, imagined POV, but with a graphite pencil...
Now see, I like the quick sketchy natural elements. Those lively touches are all over the sketch…they give it personality

Thank you for your explanation, THROBBS. You’d be a good teacher. Or maybe you are one?
There are places for all of these media. Like everything in life, they can be used for good or ill; they can be liked by some and disliked by others; their possibilities are endless.
For me, for my taste, as I’ve said, I like some indication that a human touch was involved. Whether by stylus, pen or finger on a touch screen, those techniques say “human” to me.
I seek connection; isn’t that the whole point of the arts in general, to connect us?
Artists, writers, musicians, dancers, etc… express themselves in order to connect, to be received, to be heard and maybe even understood. That’s why we like these quasi-instant communication spaces. We want to feel we aren’t alone in this world.
Thank you.
I did some teaching. For a couple semesters I was an adjunct professor at the community college, graphic design, Adobe Illustrator, Typography and Adobe Photoshop classes.

Yes, indeed connection. If it was simply/only for my own amusement, I wouldn't post here.

I DO create these erotic images for my own amusement, but also fishing for compliments/validation and more so... as you say, connection.

Thank you.
I did some teaching. For a couple semesters I was an adjunct professor at the community college, graphic design, Adobe Illustrator, Typography and Adobe Photoshop classes.

Yes, indeed connection. If it was simply/only for my own amusement, I wouldn't post here.

I DO create these erotic images for my own amusement, but also fishing for compliments/validation and more so... as you say, connection.
Same for me re erotica. For my own pleasure but I will say mostly for the pleasure of sharing it with others and getting their “feedback.”

Back