Thompson vs Thompson (closed for Gr8chtr)

As the couple took their seats Daniel knew that the ball was in his court. Over the last several days he had practiced a speech over and over, refining it as he went. Just this morning he had given it one more try, when suddenly Jason’s admonition came bouncing back to him, “For Chrissake shut up!”. The speech was too long, too wordy, too self-centered. Daniel decided to pare it down to few simple sentences.

“Teri, way back when the Thompson case was ending and I invited you to lunch at Quincy’s, I thought of that as a “date”. Daniel used his fingers to make the universal quote/unquote marks around the term “date”. Ditto for when we took our hike. I doubt that you thought of either of those events in that way, particularly because at the end of our hike you made it clear that you wanted just friendship, and maybe not even that. Since then, though, we’ve had more experiences together, including the fun dinner last weekend and your suggestion that we have dinner again this weekend. And, well, um….well…we’ve twice kissed pretty seriously. So, I’m not asking that we have any discussion now about some future that we might have, I just kind of want to know this simple thing. Teri, do you think of us as quote/unquote dating?” Before Teri could answer, he quickly added, “Oh…uh…when I say “dating”, I don’t mean that if you agree that we are dating, that that implies being in a sexual relationship, necessarily”.

Daniel breathed in and out slowly, trying to conceal his anxiety. It was now Teri’s turn to speak. He was feeling a bit guilty because once again he had been less than completely truthful about sex as a part of the relationship. Although he had no sense, per se, that it was the right time to start sex, in general he did assume that most dating couples were sexually active after some small number of dates. His guilt was, however, softened by Jason’s observation that Teri was smart enough to know that he was dancing around the sex subject some.

Last edited:
Okay, this is awkward, thought Teri. I don't really understand what he is asking. Is there a difference between scheduling times to be together eating, hiking, whatever and quote/unquote dating? What is quote/unquote dating anyway, is it different from just regular dating? He certainly didn't give out any clues to how he was feeling or thinking. Did he consider them a dating couple? Did she? She needed to say something, but this wasn't quite the talk that she expected, not that she was sure what she expected. Her mind just pinballed around to these thoughts and none of them were appropriate to say out loud.

A sudden thought occurred to her and she slapped her hand over her mouth and turned away, her shoulders shaking. But it was too much and she couldn't hold back. She was afraid she might make things worse but she had no control. Walker moved over to where she was sitting and put his hand on her arm, but it was already too late.

The laughter spilled over and soon she was roaring, holding on to her sides trying to gain some self-control. Sputtering and wheezing, she looked at him, "I didn't... think.. it was... possible for .... someone to over think things more than I do." She went back into her laughter, her body shuddering as she struggled for air.

Realizing she wasn't going to get control while she was sitting there, she stood, "Bathroom?"

He pointed her in the right direction, the look on his face one of concern mixed with total lack of understanding. She went off again at the look on his face, chuckling as she practically ran down the hallway. Once she had some privacy, she ran cold water into the sink and splashed her face repeatedly cooling off the heat. Oh man, this was so not going well. She stayed there a few minutes until she had herself under control. Now she was going to have to some explaining.

She took several deep breaths and let them out slowly, then washed and dried her face once more. When she came back into the living room she saw that he was still sitting on the arm of the chair looking at her like she was an odd piece of evidence that he couldn't fit into his case.

She took the chair where he had been sitting, figuring that some space would help her apologize. She took another deep breath and looked at her hands twisting in her lap. "Teri?"

At his call, she looked up and took another breath. "I am so sorry. I was super nervous about tonight and your words didn't match what I thought you were going to say. And I realized that you had been thinking about us... this.. and it all struck me as hilarious that you should be as hesitant about things as I have been. I am sorry for laughing, I just.. it was all just.." She sighed deeply knowing she wasn't being any clearer than he had been.

"Look, I am not sure what you are asking me. Could you explain the difference between dating and quote/unquote dating? There is something here I am just not getting." She shook her head slowly. "I am confused."

Teri was confused? Daniel was definitely confused. He couldn't tell whether Teri was in a funny mood with the ice between them broken, or if she was so tense that her laughter was not about humor at all. But one thing was clear as he saw her return from the bathroom. He cared about her deeply, and cared about them as a couple, whatever the words might be.

Daniel walked swiftly but with calm determination over to the chair where Teri was sitting. He reached out, taking both of her hands in his and pulling her slowly to a stand. Once Teri was standing upright, Daniel wrapped both of his arms around her and pulled her close to him, shielding her symbolically from any outside threat. Leaning in carefully, Daniel spoke softly into Teri's ear without loosening his hold. "I have expressed myself poorly. I don't have the right words or the right terms, but this is what I know. Teri, I care about you. A lot. I want you to be a part of my life. I want there to be an "us" in some fashion. I don't care if it's called dating or quote/unquote dating or whatever. The last couple of weeks, and especially our time at Oak Creek and last weekend at your house, were the best, warmest times that I've had since I moved here." Daniel stopped, sure that he had already gone too far, but his emotions carried him on. "Of course, when you're ready and only when you're ready, if you ever are, I want to make love with you, but right now I just want to hold you and, hopefully, have that affection returned."

Teri wished that Walker had started the evening with the soft words spoken in her ear. But honestly, now she was so mixed up she didn't know what to do or say. It seemed that no matter what she said he would take it wrong. If she said she wanted to be with him also, he would take that to mean sex. If she said she wasn't sure or needed more time, he would take that as though she wasn't interested in him. Their relationship had been filled with more angst than a fourteen year old. She just wasn't sure if she had it in her to deal with all these emotional ups and downs. That was why she didn't do relationships. It was just too darn hard.

Stepping back, she took his hand and led him over to the couch. When they were both seated, she faced him. "I appreciate your words and the sentiment behind them, but I just don't know if I am cut out to be with another person. We have been seeing each other for less than a month and I am exhausted from all of the emotional ups and downs, yours and mine. I am not really an emotional person usually, so this has been difficult. I like you. I really do. I have enjoyed being with you and appreciate the man that you are. But I just don't know if I can keep having these angst ridden emotionally confusing talks. I can't figure you out and I can't figure me out and it is messing with my head."

They both sat their for a moment, neither saying anything. Then Teri took a deep breath. "Look, I am going to go home. I need a break. Every week I have spent too much time worrying about something you said or were going to say or whatever and feeling guilty about something I said or did or didn't do. I need a week or two free from all that. I need... I need to figure out if what I feel for you is the same as what you feel for me. I can't... I can't figure that out when I am this close to you. I need space and time. Can you give me that?

Daniel felt like he had been punched in the stomach. Not that Teri had abused him, but that he was on the verge of losing entirely what he had come to enjoy, and what he had come to need. But, through his emotion he knew in an instant two things that pointed in the same direction: first, if he truly cared about Teri he must give her the space that she was asking for irrespective of the result thereof; second, the surest way to lose Teri would be to push rather than draw back. He knew that he had to do the hardest thing that he had done since his divorce.

Teri was still holding Daniel's hand. Again, he gently pulled her to a stand. "OK, Teri. I understand. I'll give you whatever amount of space and time that you need. Just know that I'm here if, and when, you are ready to resume us seeing each other." Trying very hard but successfully to not shed a tear, Daniel pulled Teri just close enough to plant a small kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight, Teri," he said softly as he led her to his front door.

Teri wasn't sure why she felt like crying. If anything she should be feeling relief. But as she walked to her car, she could feel the tears slowly running down her cheeks.

She swiped her hands across her face and took a deep breath. Exhaustion, that is all it was, just being tired. She drove home, but couldn't quite remember doing so, and went up to her apartment. She changed out of her dress into her flannel pajamas and washed her face. She hadn't eaten, but she didn't feel hungry. She felt empty.

She crawled into bed, pulled her comforter up high, and cried herself to sleep. She was wracked with dreams of Walker and woke up tired and cranky. She ate a bowl of cereal that she didn't want and dragged herself into the shower. She really just wanted to crawl back into bed and cover her head, but there was laundry to do and groceries to buy. She spent Sunday keeping busy with small errands and cleaning her apartment. Monday morning she overslept and dragged herself downstairs to Beth's office where she plopped into a chair.

"Well, you are looking chipper this morning."

Teri didn't even respond to such a blatant lie, she just grunted and slid down further in the chair.

"I thought you had a hot date with Daniel this weekend? Why are you so out of sorts?"

"I think we broke up," Teri mumbled.

"What makes you unsure that you only think you did. Either you did or didn't, which was it?"

"I don't know. That is the whole problem. I don't know. Last week he said he wanted TO TALK and that freaked me out all week. So by the time I got to his place Saturday night I had already come up with about forty versions of what THE TALK meant. So he started talking about whether we were dating or not. He called it quote/unquote dating. And it struck me funny that he was putting so much effort into thinking about what we were doing and my head started talking like you saying that there was too much overthinking going on and I started to laugh and then I couldn't stop and everything went downhill."

"In what way?"

"Well I practically hurt myself laughing so hard and of course he didn't know why I was laughing and even when I tried to explain it.. well it was a disaster. So I went into the bathroom, washed my face and got myself under control and went back out. I asked what he meant by quote/unquote dating and how did it differ from regular dating. And then he pulled me up from where I was sitting and whispered in my ear that he cared about me, that he didn't care what it was called, and that he wanted to have sex when I was ready unless I wasn't ever ready."

"Oh, my. Just like that?"

"Well words to that effect. I was still having trouble with the whole quote/unquote dating and the hysterical laughter. And I was suddenly just overwhelmed and exhausted. This thing has been so up and down emotionally. I feel like I have been on a roller coaster non-stop for a month. And I don't even like roller coasters!"

"Good grief, you sound like a fourteen year old."

Teri laughed. "I know, that is what I said. That there was too much angst between us and I didn't think I could handle it. I told him that I needed time and space away from all the confusion and angst. Then I left."

"Okay. So shouldn't you be happy and relieved to be away from all that emotional stuff that you hate?"

"YES! I know. So why do I feel so empty inside? Why have I been feeling so down and cranky? I am supposed to be happy and cheerful and non-angst feeling."

"Well, It has only been one day. Perhaps it takes longer to get rid of all that angst that built up over the past month," Beth responded, eyes twinkling.

"Are you laughing at me?"

"No. Well...maybe a little. Look, I know you are confused, but let's give your emotions some time to level out. I have never seen you go through so many emotions. It has been quite interesting to watch."

"I am not a science experiment!"

"No, you aren't. But you are a lawyer. So quit all this self-indulgent whining and get to work."

Teri leapt up and saluted, "Yes, Ma'am!" Both women laughed and Teri went to her office to work. Soon she was involved in the work. Whenever thoughts of Walker began to intrude, she ruthlessly pushed them away. Maybe, if she did that enough she could finally get him out of her system and get back to the way things were.

The hollow feeling in Daniel's stomach faded little over the course of the work week. On the good side, his work reviewing the results of his assistant's research on landowners' mineral rights was so non-demanding that even if his competence was impaired by his emotional state, he could get his work done well and easily. On the bad side, though, his work wasn't demanding enough to push thoughts of Teri from his mind.

By Friday Daniel was driven to contact Teri in some way, but he held off, realizing that contacting her at about the time that they might otherwise be having a date might stoke her fears. He waited until Sunday morning, and chose e-mail over text with the idea that e-mail seemed to be less pushy.

"Teri, Hi. How are you? I hope that you are well. I just thought that I would send you a brief note to check up. I miss you. Best, Daniel."

Daniel reviewed his message before hitting "send". He debated over and over whether he should include the "I miss you" at all, or word it some other way. Finally, he decided that he was grossly overthinking this, and that a brief, truthful statement was as good as he was likely to do.

Teri was miserable. She had had one of the worst weeks of her life. She missed Walker much more than she would have believed possible. She had spent a day at the hospital holding the hand of a three year old that had been horribly abused by his parents. She went to a funeral for one of her first clients that she had known since she was a child. By the weekend, she was done: mentally, physically, emotionally.

She tossed some clothes into a bag and drove down into the city to see her sister. She needed to get some separation from her work. Her sister was married to a doctor and was happy being a trophy wife. It wasn't something that Teri could ever do, but Grace loved all the attention. She and her husband, Peter, were not emotionally close as far as Teri could tell, but they seemed to have found a way to meet each other's needs. Teri didn't quite get it. She would rather be unmarried, then married and living separate lives. But she loved her sister and hadn't seen her for almost a year.

Teri arrived at the two-story Colonial estate and drove up the circular driveway. As always she managed to be in awe at the size of the house. Even the guest house over the five car garage was larger than the entire building where Teri lived and worked. The maid let her in and walked her to what Grace called the informal lounge and Teri had a seat on the soft leather sectional while the maid went to let Grace know she was here. As Teri waited, she looked around, noticing that there was new drapes and a new figurine added to the room. The painting over the fireplace had been done right after the wedding and now a new one showed an updated version of the couple. So far they had not had any children, but Teri wasn't sure if the couple even wanted them. They both seemed to focused on their personal lives.

Grace came in through the double doors smiling with her hands held out. Teri stood and the sisters hugged, then Grace turned to the maid, standing by the door, and ordered a tea tray.

"I am so glad to see you. Why didn't you let me know you were coming? I could have made arrangements for you to attend the theater with me tonight. That is okay, I will cancel and we can spend some time together."

"No, don't cancel. I am sorry I didn't call. It was a sudden urge to see you and I just jumped in the car. I don't want to upset your plans. I just felt an urge to see you and to get away for a bit. I hope Peter won't mind that I just invaded your territory?"

"Don't be silly. You are always welcome here. I am just glad I was home when you got here. Are you planning on staying for awhile? I hope so."

"Just until Sunday, if you will have me. I have too much going on at work to stay longer."

"Of course you can stay. Oh, good, here is the tea tray." The maid, Teri had no idea what her name was as the maids came and went on a frequent basis, brought in a heavy silver tray with the traditional tea pot and cups, sugar, cream, lemon, a plate of little bite-sized cucumber sandwiches and an assortment of home made cookies. Teri wondered how the petite girl could lift the entire tray.

"Oh, Cook has outdone herself today, don't you think?"

"You have the best cook in the county and you know it," laughed Teri. "Be sure to give her my compliments."

As the two drank their tea and sampled the goodies, they caught each other up on the events in their lives. Grace talked about social events that she had attended and the committees on which she sat. Teri told her about the Thompson case, the little boy in the hospital and the funeral that she had attended. She mentioned Justin, whom Grace knew, and about the accident and the renewal ceremony. What she didn't mention was Daniel Walker. She wasn't sure why, she just wasn't ready to talk about him yet.

The sun had set when Peter stopped by to say hello and to mention that he was eating at his club that evening and had come by to change clothes. He came into the room long enough to give both women a kiss on the cheek, then took himself off to his room to change.

"He isn't going to the theater with you tonight?" asked Teri.

Grace waved her hand casually in front of her face. "Oh, you know how it is. He is always so busy with work and his club, I keep myself occupied." She smiled, "But I do need to get dressed. I would cancel but I am meeting friends there and it is sold out or I would invite you along."

"Don't worry about me. I will be fine. I will take a long bath in that fancy bathroom upstairs and then settle in with a book. What are your plans for the weekend?"

"Call Cook when you are ready for a dinner tray. She can send it up to your room. You have the same room you always have when you visit so you should be comfortable in it. This weekend? I have the Garden Social tomorrow, you can come if you wish. Then there is a dinner/dance at the Smythington House which again, you can come if you wish. You know what? I don't think I will go. I am not needed and didn't make any promises. So tomorrow night, let's make popcorn and find an old movie to watch like we did when we were kids."

"That sounds like fun," Teri smiled. "I would like that. You better get ready for your show. Have fun."

The two walked up the wide curving staircase together. Grace went into the east wing where she had a suite of rooms and Teri went down the hallway to the west wing where the guest rooms were located. She entered the large room and smiled as she always did. The room was larger than her apartment. There was a huge canopy bed and antique Hepplewhite furniture throughout. There was a sitting area by a small fireplace, and Teri's favorite spot, a cushioned window seat with several plush pillows. The en suite had a separate large rock shower and a spa sized whirlpool bath. The bedroom and bath had been done in shades of forest green and cream and always soothed Teri's spirits when she stayed there. The view from the window seat and windows overlooked the English garden with its roses and brick walkways. Teri often thought she might be willing to get married just for the view from her room.

She found that the maid had already unpacked the few things she had brought, so she began to run the water for a long soak in the tub. She set out her things and the book she was reading, and added a good amount of bathing salts from the collection on the marble vanity. She chose a mix of lavender, bergamot and sandalwood. When the tub had filled enough, she slid in and sighed with pleasure. The aroma from the salts filled the room and she could feel her muscles relax. She reclined in the tub, reading, until the water began to cool. She dried off with the plush green towel and then wrapped the thick white robe around her body. Taking her book with her, she called down to the kitchen to request the dinner tray and settled into the window seat to continue reading.

There was a short tap at the door and Grace popped her in head, "Oh good, you look like you are more relaxed then when you got here. I am off. I will see you in the morning. Sleep well. Don't forget to ring if you need anything."

Teri laughed and waved her sister off. "Have a good time. Don't worry about me. I already called for a dinner tray. I am gong to sit here and eat your cook's wonderful food, look out over your beautiful garden and read. I shall pretend to be a heroine in an Austen book. Pampered and spoiled."

Both women laughed and Grace waved as she left. Teri spent the evening just as she said she would. When it got late, she climbed into the soft bed and snuggled under the layers of bedding. It was only then that she allowed herself to wonder about Walker and if he missed her as much as she missed him.

The next day, Teri and Grace went to the Garden Social. Teri was introduced around and while she couldn't say she had a bad time, it wasn't really her lifestyle. The food was good and people were more or less friendly. They just didn't seem to have much substance to their lives and so their conversations seemed frivolous to Teri.

That evening, after sharing another wonderful meal, the two settled down in Grace's sitting room in her suite. "So tell me, Teri, what has made you so sad?"

Teri was startled, she thought she was doing a good job of hiding her unhappiness. "What makes you think I am sad?"

"Oh you have been laughing and smiling, but your eyes don't smile. Your eyes are sad. You can't fool me, big sister, I know you too well."

So Teri told her about Walker. About how she thought he was arrogant and then how he had acted during the Thompson case, about the hike and how she had freaked. About him driving up to help her when Justin needed help and then staying the weekend to celebrate with them, about the dinner they had at her place and then the talk they had at his place. When she was finished she was sad and tired all over again.

"Boy, you two sure have made a mess of things, haven't you? How do you really feel about this Daniel guy?"

"That is the problem. I don't know. I like him. I like being around him. But I don't like all the emotional roller coastering that is going on. I don't want to hurt him."

"What makes you think you will hurt him?"

"It is bound to happen. You know I don't do relationships. That I don't want to get married."

"Look, Teri, I know you said you didn't want to get married after Mom and Dad split up. But that was a long time ago. Don't you think it is a bit silly to let what they did affect your future? I admit that we haven't seen many marriages that were fairy tale perfect, but don't you think you are a little old to still be expecting life to be perfect? I grant you that Peter and I don't have a close, loving passionate relationship, but then I am not that kind of person. What we do have is a marriage based on affection and mutual respect. We don't have many interests in common but we recognize that and have developed a level of trust and communication that allows each to go our separate ways most of the time, and yet feel we are still connected. It isn't everyone's way, but it is ours and it is working for us."

"I didn't realize you two were so close. It seems, looking at it from the outside, that you two barely tolerate each other. I thought you were staying only for the money and the lifestyle. I never saw or heard anything that made me believe that you two even liked each other. I am sorry for judging something I didn't understand."

"There was no reason for you to understand. Our relationship is very private to us. We never planned or expected to meet anyone else's idea of what a relationship or marriage should be. But we are both very happy with our lives and with each other."

"I am so glad to hear that. I have been so worried about you and what you had gotten yourself into. I thought the parents' divorce had jaded you like it did me, so that you had settled for a marriage of convenience."

"Oh, Teri, marriage is anything but convenient. It is a great deal of compromise and emotional ups and downs and making sure that you are happy and your partner is happy. It is hard work at times. Sure there are times when I think Peter is a pain, but I never think I should leave or that I want out. Everyone is a pain at times. That doesn't mean you throw in the towel and give up. You just have to swallow your pride or he swallows his and you work out the reason that you are mad and move on. A marriage is always a work in progress. There is no 'always happy' in life. You have to do what you need to make sure you are happy. Happy comes from within you, not what someone else does or says."

"You are the little sister, how and when did you get so smart?" Teri laughed.

"I have always been the smartest, the favorite too!"

Teri threw a small pillow at her sister and they both laughed. This is what Teri needed. Grounding. Common sense. "I am so glad I came down here. I didn't know how much I missed you and needed you."

"Well, of course you need me, just like there are times when I need you. Come on, let's go invade Cook's territory and a make some popcorn and watch an old movie. Maybe we can find something where the princess lives happily ever after," she grinned.

Teri laughed as she followed her amazing smart sister to the gourmet kitchen. Who knew that the rich and famous kept popcorn in their pantry.

Teri woke early and felt better than she had in a long time. She had made some decisions during the night and she felt like she could see the path she wanted to take for her future. Peter joined the sisters for breakfast and as the married couple discussed their individual plans for the day, with the new knowledge she had gained from her sister, she watched Peter as he consulted with his wife. Though the conversation consisted mostly of 'I will be there at this time or there at that time', Teri could see the affection that Grace spoke of, shining in both their eyes. She had never noticed it before, but she was glad for her sister. Now Teri needed to put some happiness in her eyes.

As she drove north, she began to plan and plot out her future and what steps she needed to take to achieve her goals. She attacked her plan the way she would a court case, looking carefully at each step needed to be taken. The closer to home she got, the more excited she became.

She, Teri Jackson, was going to quit blaming her parents, quit hiding behind excuses, and go forth and grab her future by the horns. She pulled up to her building grinning widely. Upstairs, she tossed her bag on her bed, and began step one of her plan.

She picked up her phone and dialed. "Can you come to my place tomorrow night? We need to talk." She hung up the phone and grinned. There, let Walker spend some time wondering what "The Talk" meant.

Seeing Teri's name on his phone sent Daniel's spirits soaring. At least she hadn't withdrawn entirely. However, Teri's message, short, to the point, and somewhat demanding surprised him. Wanting "to talk" again probably signaled continued engagement, although, in a split second of anxiety Daniel realized that Teri might be coming to his house to simply say "It's over.".

But what really surprised Daniel was Teri's tone and apparent mood. Much of the time during their weekend at Oak Creek and during their dinner date at Daniel's house, Teri had seemed comfortable, even confident, but any time they got close to talking about their relationship Teri projected a tentative and anxious state. Her tone on the phone was just the opposite, self-assured, clear, in charge. What she was going to say or what she was up too was a complete mystery. He vowed, with some difficulty, to follow Jason's advice to trust himself, Teri, and their relationship.

Daniel thought about little else during his workday other than meeting up with Teri for whatever talk she planned to have. He brought a change of clothing so that he could get into something more casual and go to Teri's without going home after work. At the appointed time, he appeared at Teri's door. Given the uncertainty of where they were at the moment, or where Teri thought they were going, Daniel opted to not lead off with the sweet "hello kiss" that he had started off their dinner date with.

With not much more than a few words and gestures, Teri motioned Daniel to a chair. He took his seat realizing that whatever happened next was in Teri's hands.

Teri had a hard time focusing on work. She had a moment of panic when she wondered if she was becoming manic. Her good mood seemed to be almost over the top. But still, she was determined to see this through. Tonight would either make or break her future. She had her hopes, but she was trying to remember that no matter what happened, she would survive to face another day.

She left the office early. She wanted plenty of time to prepare for the evening. When Walker got there, she led him to a chair, gave him a glass of wine, settled in across from him with her own glass.

"How was your weekend?"

She could see he was surprised at the topic of conversation, but he gave her the basic highlights.

Then it was her turn. "I went to see my sister. She lives in the city with her husband. We had a long talk Saturday night and she pointed out a few things that I had been looking at in a skewed fashion. One of the points she made was that I had allowed my parents' divorce to affect my vision of the world in an unrealistic way. She was right."

Teri set down her glass and stood up. She walked over to Walker and, taking his hand, pulled him to stand in front of her. He wasn't nervous, she could tell that, but he was definitely curious as where she was going with her statement. She smiled, then still holding his hand, she led him down the hallway to her bedroom.

She walked him over to the bed and gently nudged him into sitting down on it. She smiled again, feeling confident that for the first time in a long time, she knew what she wanted.

Stepping back, she began to undo zipper that ran down the front of her dress. The sound of the zipper was loud in the room, and Teri shivered slightly as the cooler air touched her warm skin. The zipper lowered slowly and as Teri watched Walker's eyes, she could see them darken as more skin appeared.

The zipper stopped just short of her navel, and she pulled the edges away from her body so that the silk slithered down to the floor. Stepping out of it, she bent and picked it up, tossing it over the back of a chair. Facing him in only her thong and heels, she walked up to him, placed her hands on each side of his face and whispered, "I know what I want now. You."

Teri's beginning with asking about his weekend, Daniel thought, was almost certainly a tactic to start off with an innocuous topic. He soon learned that he was wrong. She was just setting up the conversation so that she could tell him about her weekend. Teri didn't get far into her description before Daniel realized that she had had an epiphany of some sort, and one that somehow would impact where they were going, or not going.

Teri's taking Daniel's hand and pulling him to a stand echoed what he had done at their last meeting at his house. Given her apparent good mood, he anticipated that she might hug him or, perhaps, even give him a kiss and, who knows, perhaps even indicate that she was ready to think of them as a dating couple.

When, instead, still holding his hand she started to lead him down the hall toward her bedroom Daniel was both surprised and confused. There were, of course, several possible outcomes, but the most obvious seemed so out of character for Teri as to be almost unimaginable. Even when she nudged him down onto her bed Daniel thought it most likely that she wanted to snuggle, perhaps to hold him or to be held while she delivered whatever message she had in mind.

When Teri began to slowly and steadily unzip her dress Daniel was actually shocked. As more of her skin began to show and she continued unzipping, Daniel could actually feel his eyes opening wider. He even thought that he could feel his pupils dilating. As she pulled the edges of her dress away from her body Daniel's earlier conjecture that she was not wearing a bra was confirmed.

By the time Teri put her hands on his face Daniel's emotions were over the top, as was his rapidly rising arousal. Her words to him were more than he had ever dreamed of hearing so clearly, so unambiguously from Teri, yet so much what he yearned to hear.

Daniel raised his hands to Teri's and rose to his feet. If this had been a third or fourth date in a typical dating relationship, he might have implored his incipient lover to undress him, but he sensed that it was an important step for him to give himself to Teri as she had just given herself to him. Daniel quickly unbuttoned his shirt and tossed it over the same chair that held her dress, kicked off his shoes, unbuckled his belt and waistband, dropped his trousers and stepped out of them, leaving him naked save his cotton briefs. He placed one of Teri's hands on his bare shoulder, allowing her to kick off her heels.

Daniel slid his right hand down to Teri's left hip, using his left hand to hold the back of her neck and pull them into a kiss, their nearly naked bodies pressed firmly against each other. His whole body and soul were on fire. He deliberately initiated a kiss that was definitely more intense than their previous "hello kisses", but not as intense as the their two serious kisses. Those two kisses would easily be surpassed very soon, Daniel knew, but not right now. Breaking their kiss after only a few seconds but not releasing his hold on her, Daniel held Teri's gaze and whispered, "I never have had the right words before. You have just taught me. Teri Jackson, for some time now and right now I know what I want. You."

Last edited:
Teri was surprised by the kiss. She thought Walker would go straight for the 'we are about to have sex right now' kiss, but instead it was soft, sweet, emotional.

Breaking their kiss after only a few seconds but not releasing his hold on her, Daniel held Teri's gaze and whispered, "I never have had the right words before. You have just taught me. Teri Jackson, for some time now and right now I know what I want. You."

At that moment, Teri realized that she was falling hard for this man.

With tears in her eyes, she whispered, "I am yours."

It was nearly more than Daniel could bear to not just jump into ravishing Teri's body, but he wanted to take at least one final moment before it was too late to do something romantic. Briefly releasing his left hand from the back of Teri's neck he wiped the tears from her eyes with his hand. Speaking in the same soft whisper as she had just spoken Daniel said, “And, I am yours Teri. I want to have your heart and your soul, and I want you to have my heart and soul in return.” Finished with his romantic overture Daniel replaced his left hand as before and pulled them back into a kiss nearly identical to the last one.

Breaking their kiss after only a few seconds, Daniel pulled back ever so slightly allowing them to gaze at one another. An expression formed on his face that was partially a smile similar to the one Teri sported when she first took him by the hand and led him to her bedroom, and partially a mischievous grin. “Jackson,” Daniel said, teasingly mimicking her universal last-name-only moniker for him, “but right now I want your body and for you to want mine.”

Using his strong left arm that encircled Teri’s back and his right hand that was placed on her left hip, Daniel pulled their near-naked bodies to be pressed tightly against each other. Moving quickly he started a kiss with an intensity far beyond what they had previously shared. His tongue flicked across Teri’s slightly open lips, but unlike their after-dinner kiss at her place this was not a suggestive move, but an urgent demand for his lover to match his passion.

Daniel was not disappointed. Teri wrapped both of her well-toned arms around him and pulled their bodies even more tightly together. Almost instantly in response to his passionate kiss, she opened her mouth to him, thrusting her tongue deep into his mouth even before he could do the same with her.

Teri’s ardent response drove Daniel over the edge. With his strong right hand on her hip he pushed just hard enough to open a sliver of space between their torsos. Moving swiftly he slid his hand in between them and ran it up Teri’s bare midriff, cupping her left breast with his hand and beginning to massage it urgently. Daniel’s hand on Teri’s breast drove their kissing to an even more passionate level.

From the time Teri began to unzip her dress there had been little question as to where the night was going; now there was none. There were, however, some questions that needed to be answered. Breaking their kiss but continuing to fondle Teri’s breast, Daniel whispered in her ear:

“Safe? Protected?” A quick, sure nod from Terri.

“Last med checkup, uh, I’m STD free. Trust me?” Another quick nod from Teri, plus a “me too”.

“Do we need condoms?” This time, a quick headshake “No” from is lover.

If it had been possible for anything to drive Daniel’s arousal any higher, Teri’s answers to his question did so. In one quick move he spun them around and, with a firm thrust, threw them down onto Teri’s bed with himself landing on top. He quickly rolled them half way over to position them on their sides, front-to-front, symbolically equal. Although Teri had already re-initiated their forceful kissing, Daniel broke their kiss quickly. Through what was now his gasping breaths and trying to smile just a bit through his expression of full arousal he whispered, “Teri, may I have this dance?”

Last edited:
Walker's kisses were driving Teri crazy. His lips were soft, yet firm at the same time. She wrapped her arms around him wanting to be as close as possible. She had no idea how they ended up on the bed, but as she lay there, facing him, the urge to have him deep inside her had her heart pounding.

“Teri, may I have this dance?”

Teri sputtered, then broke into a laugh. Her eyes danced wickedly as she slid up over him. "You want to dance? I will show you how I dance."

Leaning down over him, she ran her tongue along his collarbone, up along his neck and behind his right ear. Gently, she took the lobe between her teeth and tugged. Then slowly let it slip from between her teeth. Looking down into his eyes smiling and warm with affection, she nibbled her way down his chin, then playfully bit his lower lip.

Sliding lower on his body, she ran her tongue down his chest and dipped into his navel. She laughed when his stomach muscles contracted under her touch. She didn't know that a couple could have fun teasing each other while totally aroused. She loved the way he looked at her, totally focused on her as if she was the only other thing in the world.

Daniel was astounded. Over the past several weeks he had not given much thought to what Teri would be like as a lover, but to the extent that he had he had imagined a passive, dutiful lover; a sweet, romantic lover; or, less likely he thought, a passionate lover. The latter image was clearly the most correct one at the moment. But, he had never imagined that Teri would engage in playful sex. Her actions were those of a woman who was confident in her own sexuality, and completely confident in her status in the relationship. Who knew?

Teri's tongue playing artfully over his body reignited Daniel's white-hot arousal that had been briefly calmed just a bit by Teri's playful remark. He didn't know what she had in mind as she worked her mouth down his body. He yearned to be deep inside her, but he wasn't entirely opposed to a detour or two here and there. Teri had to raise her hips some in order to position her mouth on his chest. Daniel took that opportunity to hook his fingers around her thong and slide it over her hips so that she could wiggle out of it. He repeated a similar move on himself, doffing his briefs. Somehow, he even managed to use his toes to remove both of his socks. He and Teri were now completely naked, their bodies touching each other in so many places.

Daniel was ready to completely let go and see whatever Teri had in mind. Suddenly, though, a thought came to his mind: he could be playful too. Wrapping his arms around Teri he rolled them back over. Lifting himself on his elbows so that he could gaze directly into her eyes, he gasped, as playfully as he could, "You're not the only dancer in this couple, you know." Mimicking Teri's move Daniel lowered himself so that his mouth was at her ear. He flicked his tongue around the inside of her ear, firmly enough to get a reaction from Teri but lightly enough to just tease her. As he nibbled on her ear he placed his hand back on her bare breast, this time kneading it with more demanding urgency than before. His fingers found Teri's erect nipple, teasing her hard. Teri's soft moans didn't surprise him; the speed with which those moans became louder did. Continuing to mimic her movements on him he nibbled on her neck and then her shoulder, as he continued fondling her swollen breast. When his head had worked down to Teri's chest, he stopped playing with her nipple, cupping her breast with his hand. Daniel's mouth was now all over both of Teri's breasts, sucking, nibbling, teasing her nipples with his tongue.

Breaking his action, Daniel again raised himself on his elbows, again looking deep into Teri's passion-filled eyes. Gasping he asked, "We've each led the slow dance. Ready for the fast one?"

Last edited:
At first, Teri was disappointed when Walker flipped her over, she had wanted to taste more of him. But the disappointment didn't last as his tongue moved on her. Her hands on his shoulders, fingers digging in. She tried to relax them so as not to hurt him, but his tongue was creating such an intense feeling, all she could do was hold on to him as best as she could. She had moved beyond laughter, beyond talk, all she could do was gasp and writhe under him. Her back arching as he sucked deeply on her sensitive nipples.

"We've each led the slow dance. Ready for the fast one?"

She wrapped her legs around his waist, opening herself even more. Speech was beyond her, all she could do was whimper and moan, but she managed to let go of his shoulders and grip his hips, pulling him down. If he didn't enter her soon, she would explode on her own she was so aroused.

It was all that Daniel could do to gasp out his quip about a fast dance. Teri's completely nonverbal, but intense, response, along with his own reactions as he worked his mouth down Teri's body made him realize that he and Teri were done talking. From now on their bodies would do all of the "talking" that was necessary. Teri's whimpers and moans confirmed his conclusion.

There was still just enough room left in Daniel's erotically filled brain for an insight to bloom quickly. This was surely not the only time that he and Teri would have sex. They didn't have to do everything sexual that they would mutually enjoy; there would be other times. Teri's gripping of his hips made it clear to him that what she wanted right now was exactly the same as his own desire. The sounds of intense arousal emanating from her also made him realize that he was not the only one very close to exploding.

Daniel raised himself slightly on his elbows taking some of his weight off of Teri. With the help of Teri's hands guiding his hips he positioned his swollen, fully-erect cock at the entrance of her well-lubricated vagina. Their bodies now covered in sweat, Daniel gazed deeply into Teri's eyes and slid slowly into her until he was deep inside, their entwined bodies completely aligned. Daniel had pushed in slowly in order to ensure that his entrance wasn't painful. The grip of Teri's legs on his waist and her pleasureful moan that accompanied his entrance put that concern to rest. Daniel had no cause left for restraint of his passion.

Fully and deeply inside of Teri Daniel made several quick movements simultaneously. He thrust his left arm under her back to cinch their upper bodies to each other. As he did Daniel slammed his mouth down onto Teri's, his tongue urgently demanding entrance. He thrust his right hand onto Teri's left left breast, this time fondling her without any attempt to be gentle. He raised his hips, pulling himself half way out of her, then thrust back in, though not rapidly at first, again not wanted to cause pain.

It took Daniel and Teri only his first thrust to establish a perfect rhythm, his hips driving hard into her, her hips writhing and bucking up to meet him with equal intensity. Their rhythm accelerated rapidly, with Daniel's loud groans matching Teri's increasingly loud moans. After only a few cycles of their rapid thrusting Daniel knew that he could last only one or two more. His upper body muscles were so tense and his control was so weak that he could no longer whisper. Daniel could only yell, "Teri. Now! Now! Anytime!"

Last edited:
Teri tried to wait, but she was too aroused. Having Walker buried deep inside her, thrusting hard and fast, pushed her to the edge. She could feel her muscles tightening up when he cried out, "Teri. Now! Now! Anytime!"

Her back arched, her head flung back and her body convulsed tightly around him. Her cry echoed in the room as she clung tightly to him with her arms and legs shivering with each spasm that pulled him deeper into her body. It was incredible, unlike anything she had ever felt and as she slowly came down, she knew she wanted to feel it again and again.

As his body settled down on her, his weight pressing down, she whispered, "Oh, Daniel. That was amazing."

Daniel had not even gotten to the end of his ardent yell when Teri's spasms started, accompanied by her loud cry. Her very first set of spasms clinched the walls of her vagina tightly around his cock. That was it. Daniel's body responded in kind; involuntary spasms in his strong abdominal muscles pushed him into her in rapidly repeated, short thrusts. He exploded into Teri, filling her womanhood with his hot seed.

After several moments he could feel Teri's body beginning to relax, as his did the same. Physically, Daniel was beginning to come back to earth. Emotionally, he was still on the summit of Everest.

Oh, Daniel. That was amazing.

"Oh, Yes, Teri, it was," Daniel replied as he relaxed further, their bodies still tightly entwined as lovers, his erection only gradually causing him to slip out of her body. As his mind cleared some, he realized something that he had missed at the exact moment of its occurrence. Teri had called him, "Daniel", not her universally used, "Walker". Wisely, he thought not to comment on that at the moment, best to just let this remarkable moment exist in the present.

But, Daniel couldn't resist breaking their romantic intensity in favor of experiencing the relaxed, confident, easy-going interactions that they had had at dinner at his house. Rolling up on his side so that he could make eye contact with her, he smiled broadly, "Teri, I know that you don't need my permission, but you have both my blessing and my encouragement to see your younger sister as absolutely often as you wish." The two lovers literally collapsed in peels of laughter that filled Teri's whole apartment.

Life was good.

Last edited:
Rolling her eyes, Teri burst out laughing. She loved how easily he made her laugh. She moved into his arms as he rolled to his back laughing. Her head fit perfectly in the nook of his shoulder. Her arm lay across his stomach, rising and falling gently. She could feel his heart beating and realized her heart was matching the beat of his. It was a comfortable, intimate position. "I could get used to this," she murmured sleepily, "you're warm and make a nice pillow."

I could get used to this you're warm and make a nice pillow.

Daniel knew that despite the epiphany that Teri had obviously had, he should still be cautious, but the emotional warmth that he was feeling laying next to Teri overrode his caution. "I could get used to this too," he replied, then added, "we've just made love for the first time. I want this to be the first time that we spend the whole night together."

Daniel slid his arm under Teri's shoulders without causing the rest of the arrangement to change. Their was definitely a part of him that wanted an Act II this very evening, perhaps this time a long, slow buildup, allowing them to completely explore each others' bodies. But, most of all, he wanted to hold Teri in his arms and experience the pleasure - right now, for the moment - that they were a romantic couple. More sex would be welcome, sure, but not the ultimate.

They lay quietly for at least 10 minutes without speaking, or even moving much, although neither of them were asleep. If Daniel's spoken desire to stay the night had bothered Teri in any way, it wasn't evident. As Daniel lay there he remembered the conversation that he had had with his friend Jason a couple of weeks ago. When Daniel had suggested to Jason that this whole thing was just too damn difficult and that maybe he would just stop even trying, Jason had opined that it was too late, Daniel had already fallen in love with Teri. Daniel had not protested, but he had never previously accepted his friend's conclusion. A warm smile crossed Daniel's face as he lay holding Teri. He knew now, for sure, that Jason was right.

Last edited:
Teri was in that drowsy state between awake and asleep. With Walker's arm wrapped around her, his warm body generating heat, she had a sense of safety. She wasn't sure why she had that feeling. It wasn't as if she was in any danger, but that was the best word for what she was feeling. She certainly didn't expect him to protect her from the woes of the world, she had been taking care of herself for some time. She didn't picture him in a coat of shining armor, although he had come to rescue Justin and her when they needed it.

The only thing that made sense to Teri was that being in his arms, held close like this, probably had to do with some part of her brain left over from caveman times when women needed the man's protection from the world. Wherever it came from, this sense of safety, felt good. Being with Walker felt right. She tried to imagine her life without him and couldn't do it. Somewhere along the line, despite her desperate attempts to keep away from him, she had let him break down her walls and she couldn't find any logical reason to build them back up.

She shifted in his arms, moving over him so that she could cross her arms on his chest and look down onto his face. His eyes opened slowly as if he too had been in that drowsy place. "I think you have ruined me."

At the look on his face, she laughed. "Not that way, but for other men. You broke down my walls and I can't find the pieces to rebuild them. I am blaming you for that." She smiled softly, then leaned down to kiss him gently. His arms tugged on her body so that she lay over him.

She could feel his warm hands lightly caressing her as they kissed slowly, languidly. The kiss broke and her lips slid across his jaw, her tongue lightly touching, tasting him. "You taste of salt and... you." Her tongue slide down across his collarbone. There was something erotic about the collarbone. The bone was so hard, but the skin was so silky soft. She could feel his heart beating faster as her tongue moved slowly down his chest. As she made her way down his torso, she moved her knees to the inside of his thighs. When she ran her tongue along the sensitive skin below his waistline, she smiled. Looking up at him, she shifted her hips and took him in her hand.

"Now where was I when I was wonderfully interrupted?"

She leaned down and ran her tongue over the soft skin, still lightly damp from being inside her. Her tongue ran around the head and down the shaft slowly. She wanted to make him feel as good as he made her feel. Shifting her hips even more, she lay down using her elbows to prop her up. Her tongue slid around his balls then back up the shaft. Dipping her tongue into the small slit, she could taste him and moaned softly with pleasure before running her tongue back down the shaft again. When she went up again, she took him into her mouth using the tip of her tongue to tease him. Slowly she sucked and applied pressure with her tongue as he slid deeper into her mouth.

Pulling up, she gasped for air, then slid down again, taking him further, deeper. As he hardened, she slipped up and down the shaft, her lips stretched around him. When she felt him shift under her, she rose, and straddled his hips. Leaning up she kissed him, her tongue sliding into his mouth as she pressed down, taking him into her. Sitting up, her hands on his shoulders, she pushed down, wanting him deep. A spasm shook her body at the intense pleasure of being connected this way with him.

As he lay there half asleep holding Teri in his arms Daniel allowed a little cloud of worry to drift into his mind. He guessed that they had been lying there for about 10 minutes. Teri had not reacted, so far, negatively to his request to stay the night, but, in fact, she hadn't said anything at all. Was she having any second thoughts? Had his suggestion precipitated some anxiety in her? After the events of the last half hour or so Daniel was pretty confident, but, still, this was Teri. He tried to remain calm and continue to enjoy this wonderful moment.

I think you have ruined me.

A brief moment of panic seized Daniel; he was certain that it showed on is face. Teri's laughter and her follow-on comment completely erased any of these little doubts that had crept into his mind. He reminded himself that he needed to trust the relationship.

They started to kiss, but with no hurry at all. The world, for the moment, existed only in the few feet of space around them. Until this night only in his relationship with his ex wife, Jill, had Daniel ever experienced passionate slow kissing. There was no urgency to speed up, yet the intensity was nearly as great as the physically strong, fast kissing that they had shared earlier. He wished this could go on forever.

Teri had initiated the kissing; Daniel wasn't sure where she was going, but it didn't matter. He was content to let her lead. When Teri began to kiss his jaw and move down to his collar bone it was immediately evident that she was recreating what she had started before he rolled them over. Her playful quip was, itself, erotic; Daniel was clearly on the way again to full arousal.

Daniel presumed that he would never tell Teri that Jill had been not only his best previous lover, but a very good one to boot. Before their marriage began to falter, they had had a truly excellent sex life. Notwithstanding, Jill wasn't into oral sex. Daniel had experienced this pleasure only with one former girlfriend, and their sex, although good, tended to be rushed and with little accompanying affection. Teri was introducing him to something altogether different, and delightful it was. As Teri slowly teased every part of his manhood, Daniel moaned softly, even as his arousal was reaching the level where he was beginning to want more action.

Daniel loved the way that Teri was taking charge as she tongue-kissed as she mounted him. Her actions were such an affirmation that, in just a couple of hours, they had become a sexual couple. She wasn't taking him, nor he, her. They were taking each other.

Daniel decided to continue the style and pace that Teri had set. He bucked his hips up against Teri, but with a slow rhythm. He placed one hand around her neck to gently pull her down into a kiss after every few, slow strokes that they were taking, never breaking eye contact, smiling as she smiled back at him. Daniel used his other hand to alternately explore and tease Teri's bare breasts, or to slide down her stomach and tease her moist clit. He knew that at some point they would either both come to quiet, warm orgasms, or speed up to create more powerful ones. They would choose, communicating with their bodies. But, right now, this was good enough.

With her hips slowly rocking, Teri could feel the pressure slowly building inside her. It was a slow, easy movement that she hoped would drive Walker as crazy as it was making her. Part of her wanted it to last a long time, but she knew, eventually, the pressure would become too much and she would orgasm. But until then, she moved slowly, pushing down against him, kissing him with long, slow kisses.

When she could feel the end approaching, she straightened her back and felt him slide deeper. The sensation made her shiver and she rose up, until he was barely inside her, then thrust downward, taking him in deep. Again and again, she rose up slowly, then dropped down quickly, his back arching to thrust as deep as possible. Her soft moans soon filled the room as she moved closer and closer to the edge. The constant friction of his shaft tugging at her clit had her moving faster. His hands on her hips helped guide her into the rhythm that met both of their needs.

Daniel loved the feeling of Teri riding him slowly and sensuously. Their kisses were slow, but very deep. He realized that he was enjoying this as much as he would the eventual orgasm.

He sensed Teri's readiness to push to the end even before she changed their rhythm. It was fine with him; he was ready also. As she began her more forceful thrusts, a thought filled Daniel's mind. God, she was a good lover! No, they were good lovers for each other.

With that in mind, he arched his back to meet each of Teri's thrust full on. Faster and faster, deeper and deeper. The expression on Teri's face had changed to reflect the buildup of her sexual arousal getting ready to explode. That image, as much as their physical movements, drove Daniel over the edge, exploding into her with full force. For the second time tonight Daniel yelled out, "Teri! Oh, Teri! Yes! Yes! Yes!", except this time his self-monitoring and control were completely gone. With what breath he had left and without realizing in advance what he was saying, he ended his passionate outcry, "Oh, Teri! Yes! I love you!"

Back