Blue Iris Ranch (Closed for cnuveau)

sweetlilith

Really Really Experienced
The air was crisp, and the sky was a brilliant shade of blue, the kind that only appears on a spring morning in the high desert country of Emerald Falls, Wyoming. Layla Hanson, the great-great-granddaughter of the original owner and the current caretaker of Blue Iris Ranch, squinted against the sun as she rode her horse through the rolling hills, the warmth of the sunlight on her face a welcome contrast to the chill in the air. Her curly strawberry blonde hair danced about her shoulders in the breeze, and she closed her eyes that were the color of smoke, inherited from her mother. Her body was lean and toned from the day-to-day work of maintaining the ranch, though she still had curves that spoke of her femininity.

The ranch, once a prosperous cattle ranch, was now on the brink of financial ruin. The land, stretching for miles in every direction. The main house, a sprawling ranch-style dwelling built of stone and wood, stood proudly atop a small hill, overlooking the entirety of their domain. It was here that Layla lived, tending to the horses, cattle, and other animals that called Blue Iris Ranch home.

She loved this land, had loved it since she was a little girl, and she was determined to keep it in her family, no matter the cost. But as she rode across the vast expanse of land, she couldn't help but feel a sense of foreboding. The bank was about to foreclose on the ranch, and she had nowhere near enough money to save it on her own. She needed help, but asking for it was the last thing she wanted to do.

Her father, Thomas, had been the ranch manager before her, and he had been the one to embezzle money from the ranch to fund his gambling addiction. It had all come to light when she was just a teenager, and it had torn their family apart. She hadn't spoken to him since then, and she didn't want anyone else from the outside world getting involved, either. But with the bank breathing down her neck, she had no choice.

She had heard of Encore Consulting, a company that specialized in turning around failing businesses, and some of the dwindling investors had managed to get their attention. They had sent a consultant, James Donovan, to assess the situation and see if they could save Blue Iris Ranch. Layla had been dreading his arrival, which was that same day. In the distance she could hear the crunching of gravel beneath tires and soon the new, obviously rented SUV was rolling up the unpaved driveway towards the house. It had to be him.

James Donovan gazed out the window as the plane made its final approach. He hadn’t been back to the high desert country since he was in college and if he had is way he wouldn’t be here now. He’d seen enough of how corporate agriculture was killing family ranches first hand so after graduation he got as far away from it as he could.

When he went to college his plan was to get his business degree and use it to save the family ranch but his father passed before he graduated. At the time of his father’s death the ranch was so underwater the only option left was to walk away and let the creditors pick over the carcass. It was then that James decided to move to San Francisco and put it all behind him.

Now a consultant for Encore, James had made a comfortable living saving businesses the way he hoped he’d be able to save his father’s. When the Sr. Partners approached him about the Blue Iris job he tried to decline it but they insisted. Had it just been the one job he’d have been able to kick it to someone else but they had designs on this job being the start of an agriculture practice and they had tapped him to lead it. Any other practice area he’d have been thrilled lead but this was like being handed a solo cup and being told he was in charge of keeping ships from sinking. Add to that the intense passion ranchers had for their generational family businesses and this was shaping up to be a suicide mission he wasn’t looking forward to.

Dust billowed out behind his rental as he approached the house. James took a deep breath and tried to put all of his preconceived notions and biases behind him so he could be as objective as possible. He parked in front and stepped out of the SUV in his tailored suit. His 6’2 frame still had all the hallmarks of a rugged rancher but his brown hair, cut short belied his rural upbringing. In that moment, he felt like he was back on his father’s ranch. As much as he hated to admit it, he’d missed the sun on his face and the rolling hills.

James made his way to the front door of the house and knocked then stepped back to the edge of the porch to take in the view as he waited.

Last edited:
As Layla saw James Donovan step out of the rental, she felt a surge of anger course through her veins. He was dressed too well, too confidently, like he owned the world. She wondered what kind of person would wear a suit to a ranch. He walked up to the house with purpose, his strides long and steady, and she couldn't help but feel like he was sizing up her home, her life.

She dismounted her horse, careful not to show any signs of exhaustion or desperation, and led it over to the corral. The animal whinnied softly, sensing her tension, and she reached out to pet it, trying to calm herself down. As she walked towards the house, she took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, preparing herself for the meeting with Donovan.

The man settled his gaze on her and she forced herself to smile, even though it felt fake and unnatural. "You must be Mr. Donovan," she said, her voice steady despite her racing heart. "I'm Layla Hanson, it's a pleasure to meet you." She extended her hand.

For several long moments he simply studied her, his eyes traveling up and down her body, taking in her dusty jeans, worn boots, and the dirt smudged across her face. Finally he grasped her hand, firmly but not too forcefully. "You can call me James."

The blonde took her hand back and watched him as he took in the surroundings of the ranch. She leaned against on of the posts that supported the porch overhang and crossed her arms loosely under her breasts. "So, James," she began, her voice steady, "you're here to tell me how I can save Blue Iris. How do you propose we do that?" There was a challenge in her voice, a defiance that she couldn't quite hide.

James watched as she dismounted her horse and made her way to the porch to meet him. There was a steady confidence to her that he'd expect from someone who was born into ranching. It was the confidence of a woman who had mastered her small corner of the world and wasn't going to be appreciative of someone coming in and telling her how to do things.

"So, James," she began, her voice steady, "you're here to tell me how I can save Blue Iris. How do you propose we do that?"

James thought for a moment choosing his words carefully. The challenge in her question wasn't uncommon. By the time people decided to bring in Encore they felt like they'd exhausted all other options and there was nothing he could tell them that they hadn't already thought of or tried. Often times they were too close to the situation though and were surprised to find there were things they didn't think of. This is the moment he'd usually launch into his elevator speech about a comprehensive analysis of the operation where they'd look at operating efficiencies, available government programs, cost savings and revenue enhancements but he didn't get the sense she'd be pacified by his corporate speak.

"I wish I could tell you I was walking in with the silver bullet idea but I don't think it's going to be that easy." he started out "What I'd like to do is go over everything with you and see where we can make improvements. I doubt it's going to be one thing that gets us there but I think we might be able to find a number of small improvements that can be made that will add up for us. I'd like to start with the finances. Make sure you're taking advantage of all the tax savings and subsidies available. I'm sure you've gone through all that but another set of eyes wouldn't hurt. From there I think we'd move on to looking at the operations. We'll save the possibility of cost cutting and raising money for last."

As he spoke he fixed his deep brown eyes on hers searching for a softening. A realization that he was there to help rather than come in and tell her what she needs to do.

Layla considered James' words carefully, her gaze flickering away for a moment as she took in the surrounding landscape of the ranch. The sun hung low in the sky, casting long shadows across the grass and dust, and the air was cooling down as the day came to an end. She knew he was right; there wasn't going to be a single solution to save Blue Iris Ranch. It would take a combination of hard work, smart choices, and maybe a little bit of luck. But she didn't want to just hand over control of her home, of her life.

There was a moment of silence as they regarded each other, and then the blonde nodded slowly. "All right," she finally said, her voice calm despite the racing of her heart. Layla led him inside, feeling a strange mixture of trust and wariness as she did so.

She led him down a dim hallway and opened the door at the end on the right that led into the office. Boxes and neat piles of papers seemed to cover every flat surface, and bursting binders and old, worn books filled bookshelves. A large wooden desk sat in the center of the office, with a computer that seemed older than her, and the desk's surface was littered with papers and ledgers. She'd tried so hard over the past year that she was in charge to make heads or tails of the finances, but there were so many holes that she couldn't figure out. Sure, her father's embezzling had come to light over a decade prior, but the ranch never fully recovered, and there were still missing pieces. She sat down in one of the two empty chairs that sat in front of the desk. "I hope you can make more sense of this mess than I can," she joked dryly.

James took a seat across from her, his posture relaxed, his expression open. "Well," he began, "let's start with the basics. Can you give me a rundown of your income sources and your major expenses?"

Layla took a deep breath, steeling herself for the task ahead. She laid out the numbers, trying to be as accurate as possible. As she spoke, James jotted things down in a notebook, occasionally asking questions or requesting clarification.

Finally, they fell silent, both lost in thought as they reviewed the information they'd just gone over. The more they had talked, the more comfortable she felt with him. There was something about his demeanor that put her at ease, despite the enormity of the situation. His posture was relaxed, yet attentive, and there was an air of calm competence about him that was strangely reassuring. He seemed genuinely concerned for the ranch, for her. She noted the lines at the corners of his eyes and the slight crease in his forehead as he stroked his chin thoughtfully.

As James followed Layla into to the office he let his eyes travel down her body in the dim light of the hallway. Though he was committed to keep things professional his eyes couldn't help but be drawn to the sway of her hips as her dusty low cut jeans clung tightly to them.

The office was everything he'd expected it to be. Piles of papers scattered about the desk and in boxes littering the area. He could only imaging how overwhelming it must have felt to be left to pick up the pieces without the benefit of and sort of reasonable transition. He thought to himself for a moment about his own sense of dread as he sifted through his father's office trying to make heads or tails of what was going on only to find one devastating revelation after another.

After she'd walked him through what she could he thought for a moment, stroking his chin, letting the numbers start to paint a picture in his mind of where things stood and where they'd go from there. After a long few moments of silence he started to speak.

"I think there's at least one opportunity that can help. We've got...." James shuffled through his notes for a second "3 loans at less than favorable interest rates. The USDA has special loan and grant programs for minority and women owned ranches that we could probably take advantage of to consolidate those at way better rates. It won't get you all the way there but it might alleviate the immediate pressures and buy you some time."

It was getting late and his stomach was starting to grumble.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to take the last couple tax filings and go check into my hotel and review them tonight to get a better sense of things. If I can get through it tonight we can move on in the morning and start looking at your physical assets." Had he been less tired from the trip and pouring through the numbers he might have realized how that sounded before it spilled clumsily from his mouth. His cheeks flushed a little "I mean, take a look at the land and the equipment."

Despite the gravity of the situation that had brought him there, she found herself momentarily lost in the warmth of his gaze. She felt the smallest flutter within her as she processed his words. She gave him a small smile as he awkwardly clarified what he meant, but her cheeks turned slightly pink as she wondered if that was actually a mistake.

"Tax filings," she said aloud to remind herself to stay focused, trying to sound professional. "Right..." She turned her attention to the piles on the desk and sorted through them. She spied the thick folder she was looking for on the far side of the desk, so she bent over the large piece of furniture to reach for it. Grabbing it, she plopped back down in her seat and held out the folder to him. "Stay for dinner?"

She'd heard his stomach grumble, but knew he easily could get some food on the way to or at the hotel and surely have it all covered by his employeer. She didn't have to invite him to stay. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision, and yet, she felt a strange sense of comfort in his presence. There was something about the way he looked at her, the way he spoke...

She then offered, "You could stay here as well, I've got plenty of room." Why was she offering for him to stay? "There's a guest room in the house. It's got a private bathroom, and you'd have your own space." Layla paused, seeing the hesitation run across his features. "I figured it would make it easier to work through this mess, versus you having to drive 30 minutes each way to and from the hotel."

James watched as she rummaged through the stacks of paper then leaned across the desk to grab the folder. He couldn't resist allowing his eyes to be drawn to her shapely ass as she stretched across the desk then averting them just in time as she plopped back down into her chair.

"Stay for dinner?" she asked as she handed him the folder.

The idea of having dinner with Layla seemed far more appealing then hitting a drive through or sitting by himself in the hotel restaurant. He was about to accept when she continued and invited him to stay at the ranch.

Though there he didn't recall ever seeing any written policy on it, he was sure that staying with her probably broke at least a dozen unwritten guidelines for the company but in his mind this was different or at least that's what he was telling himself. She had a point that the hotel was a substantial drive from her ranch and when the home is essentially part of the business what she proposed made sense.

"If it's not too much trouble, it would be way more convenient. Would also keep your costs down." he said as he opened the folder she handed him and absentmindedly thumbed through the papers not really focusing on any of them.

"If you're sure, I'll grab my bag then help with cooking." James said pushing up from his chair.

"Of course," Layla replied with a genuine smile, standing as well. "I'll show you where you can stay." She gestured for him to follow her, leading him out of the office and down the hallway. The house was spacious yet cozy at the same time. The walls were adorned with framed photographs ranging from family photos from the past several decades to pictures of horses and riders in various poses, awards and ribbons displayed proudly beneath them.

She opened the door to one of the few bedrooms in the house and led him inside. The room was rather spacious considering the age of the home, with a large bed against the wall and a pair of nightstands on either side of it. The headboard was a simple wooden frame with a green plaid comforter and matching pillow shams. The walls were a soft yellow, accented with a few framed posters of horses and cows. A window overlooked the pasture, offering a glimpse of the cattle grazing in the distance in the soft glow of the setting sun.

"The bathroom is over here, and there's a closet over there with some hangers and extra blankets if you need them. The bedding was washed probably about a week ago and no one has been in here since then, but I can get you a fresh set of sheets if you like." She stepped back to allow him to explore the room, feeling a strange mix of nerves and excitement about having him stay.

She watched as he walked around, examining the room with what she hope wasn't a critical eye. He glanced at the pictures on the walls, seeming to appreciate them in his own way. After a moment, he turned back to her and smiled. "This is perfect, thank you. I appreciate your hospitality."

Layla felt a warmth spread through her at his words. "It's no trouble at all," she replied, trying to sound casual. "Go ahead and get settled. You can find me in the kitchen when you're ready."

She made her way to the kitchen, her footsteps echoing on the hardwood floor. The kitchen was spacious and well-lit, with a large center island in the middle, stove and double ovens on one wall, and a large farmhouse sink under a bay window on a other with the refrigerator to the left. A dining area sat on the other side of the island with a wall of floor-to-ceiling windows that looked out to the pasture and hills beyond.

Layla opened the refrigerator, quickly surveying its contents and making a mental list of what she needed to get started. She pulled out various ingredients and laid them out on the counter. As she began to prepare dinner, her mind drifted back to the times when she would help her mom make dinner for the whole family. They had always loved having people over, a constant flow of friends and family, and the house had always been filled with laughter and conversation. With James there, the house felt different. Almost alive again. There was an energy between them that she hadn't felt in a while, and it was both thrilling and terrifying. She knew that she should focus on the business side of things, but there was something about him that made it difficult to keep her mind on track.

When Layla left the room James took a moment to look out over the pasture through his bedroom window. Two weeks ago he'd have never imagined himself back in the high desert country. As unexpected the turn of events was, what was more unexpected was how settled and content he felt being back. The pictures displayed on the walls of the house offered a glimpse of the life Layla's family and her led over the years but in many ways they were a window back to his own upbringing. The similarities were striking and it seemed as if he and her were tracking on parallel orbits only a few towns away until the death of his father and the loss of the ranch broke the gravitational pull and sent him hurdling in a different direction.

Snapping himself back to the present James made his way out to the rental to retrieve his bags then brought them back to his room. Opening them across the bed he began to unpack and hang his clothes in the closet. At the bottom of the suitcase he found the boots he'd bought just before he'd left. The new unscuffed leather was yet another reminder of how he was now an outsider in a world that was once so familiar. Their lack of wear just as emblematic of the distance he'd put between himself and this life as the suit he'd chosen to wear as he dressed for the trip.

Up to this point Layla hadn't asked about his background or experience in ranching and in some ways he was glad she didn't. Throughout the day it was becoming less and less clear to him that he was ready to deal with the emotions of being back. He had a sense that if she got him talking about it she'd open the floodgates that he'd prefer to remain closed for the time being. He thought back to that disarming glare she'd given him on the porch with her arms folded in front of her and knew if she began to probe the facade he'd constructed would crumble quickly. There was just something about her that was drawing him in and making it difficult for him to keep his thoughts on the task at hand.

James followed the aromatic scent into the kitchen and found her working at the island. At the far end of the kitchen he eyed the wine rack stocked with bottles.

"Smells great. Anything I can help with? Want me to open a bottle of wine?"

Layla looked up from the vegetables she was chopping, the knife in her hand stilling. "Sure, a glass of wine would be nice. Glasses are in that cabinet to the left," she said, motioning with her hand towards where the wine glasses would be.

He moved to pick a bottle of wine, going behind her and placing his hand at the small of her back as he did. It was a small gesture, but the gentle touch sent a flutter through her heart. She shook it off, attributing it to the stress of trying to work through what to do about the ranch. It was just her imagination running wild, she told herself. Still, she watched how he moved about the kitchen, his broad shoulders filling out his shirt as he rolled the sleeves up his strong arms. She felt a flush creep up her neck and into her cheeks, and she forced herself to finish cutting up the vegetables.

James returned to her side and set two glasses down on the counter before filling them both and then handing her one of the glasses, his fingers brushing against hers. "Thanks," she managed before taking a sip of the deep ruby-colored liquid. Her eyes found his over the rim of her glass, his gaze intent and curious. She wondered what was going on behind those eyes. "So, what's the plan for tomorrow?" she asked, breaking the silence that had fallen between them.

James moved around behind her to get the bottle of wine placing his hand on the small of her back. It wasn't something he put any thought into as he did it but once his hand landed it sent his heart racing. The image of pulling her into his arms flashed through his mind before he quickly removed his hand and continued to select a bottle of wine and retrieve the glasses.

As he poured the wine he could still feel the faint tremors in his hands as his heart rate continued to work it's way back to normal.

"So, what's the plan for tomorrow?" she asked after taking a sip of wine.

James felt his cheeks flush again as he thought back to his comment about taking a look at her physical assets. What seemed like a childish interpretation in his mind earlier was seeming more and more Freudian by the minute as the depth of his attraction to her became more apparent.

"I think I'd like to take a ride around the land and get a good feel for how much of it is in use and usable. If things come down to a decision of selling off or repurposing portions I'll want an idea of what we're looking at."

As he said it he realized he probably could have brought up that possibility in a more delicate way. Though it hadn't been spoken he felt pretty sure wasn't ready to confront such possibilities and he'd have likely been better off easing into that topic a little more cautiously.

Layla's heart sank at the words of selling off or repurposing portions of her family's land. Her land. She busied herself with the vegetables, bringing them to the stove to cook in a pan, and checked the pasta that was boiling in a pot, trying to hide her sudden discomfort, trying to keep the anger that was bubbling up inside from spilling out. This was not her fault, no matter how hard she'd been trying to turn the place around. And it wasn't his fault, he was simply looking at it from the eyes of profit.

She glanced up at James then, finally finding the courage to look him in the eye. "My great-great-grandfather came here with nothing but a mule and a dream, you know? He worked his whole life to build this ranch, to make it what it was years ago. After my mom passed away when I was ten, things started to go down hill a little, but seemed okay still. And now it just... Slipping through my fingers."

Her voice broke, and she felt a lump form in her throat. She turned away, pretending to busy herself with the foods simmering away on the stove. She took a deep breath, trying to bring up that wall that she'd built around her heart. "You ride horses?" she asked, trying to change the subject.

James knew the reaction his words might trigger and it was obvious that they had. He felt like he needed to do some damage control and reassure her. Turning her to look at him he lifted her chin raising her eyes to his.

“I’m sorry if that seemed insensitive. I know what this ranch means to you and I’m going to do everything I can to help you save it. What I was referring to is the absolute last resort. If all else fails saving most of it is going to be better than losing all of it but I’m confident we’ll be able to avoid it.”

As he spoke he could feel every bit of her pain and he wanted to make it all go away. It was going to take time though.

“It’s going to be ok.” He said finally in the most confident tone he could muster as the tears continued welling in her eyes. “I swear”

As she continued to fight back her tears James wrapped his arms around her and pulled her tight to his chest as his hand softly stroked her hair.

“And yes, I do ride.” He whispered as he began to loosen his grip on her.

The sound of the pasta boiling over broke the silence of the kitchen and James quickly released her to turn down the burner.

He lifted her chin to make her look at him, the gesture surprisingly gentle. She wanted to believe him, wanted to trust that he'd do everything he could, but the fear of losing this place, this home, was overwhelming. "It's going to be okay," he said, and he sounded so sure of himself. "I swear." As he wrapped his arms around her and held her close, she could feel the strength in his arms, the warmth of his body, and for a moment she forgot about everything else.

When he relaxed his arms around her, she took a deep breath and wiped the tears that streaked her cheeks with the sleeve of her flannel, and then forced a small smile. "Good. Because I'd hate to have to teach you how to ride a horse." The words came out light and teasing, and she hoped they sounded convincing. "You never know what they'll do when they're angry." She leaned out of his way as he reached past her to turn down the burner. "Where did you learn to ride? I don't expect there's many equestrian places out in the city."

Last edited:
James busied himself checking on the pasta hoping to avoid getting into another emotionally charged conversation so shortly after the last.

"Oh I wasn't always in the city and you'd be surprised where you'd find places to ride. So tell me about the town." he replied trying to change the subject.

Layla went on to describe a stereotypical rural community scattered across the large swaths of open land. The town center that has slowly eroded from being a vibrant hub of the community to something more akin to a ghost town with the few remaining businesses struggling to remain open. She spoke of how the gap between the haves and the have nots has widened over the years. How the wealthy ranchers have continued to accumulate wealth and influence while the prospects of those around them steadily dwindle. It was a microcosm of the way things were developing more broadly but in a small town like Emerald Falls the effects were far more profound for those with no other options.

James listened attentively with an occasional knowing nod as she finished plating the food and he followed her to the dining room table with their wine glasses and the bottle. Though the story of the town wasn't all that different from any other rural town the speed of the decline seemed almost sinister. It seemed as if it was intentionally being bled dry by someone. James made a mental note to do some more research on the players in the area.

As they ate their dinner, Layla found herself unable to stop glancing at James. He was so different from any of the men she'd met before. He listened to her words, seemed genuinely interested in what she had to say, and asked thoughtful questions. It was a welcome change from the usual line of "What's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?" or "You know, if you ever want to get out of here..." The conversation flowed easily, ranging from the town's history to the latest news and gossip, which she was usually behind on.

As they finished their dinner, James cleared the table and began washing the dishes, and Layla stood next to him to begin drying them. It was oddly comforting having someone else to do mundane tasks with. The warmth of the kitchen, the clanking of dishes, and the soft sound of the running water filled the room. She could feel his gaze on her, and she glanced up at him from time to time, wondering what he was thinking...

As he finished rinsing the last plate, he turned off the water and dried his hands on a dish towel. "You should get some rest," he suggested.

She turned her head to look up at him, meeting his eyes. There was something in the way he looked at her, something so steady and reassuring, and something else she couldn't quite place. "Yeah, you too." She hesitated for a moment, trying to find something to say, but they hung in the air unspoken. "Goodnight."

Layla woke with dim morning light filtering through the windows, the sun was barely coming up. She stretched lazily, feeling the warmth of the covers and the softness of the pillow beneath her head. A yawn escaped her lips as she sat up and swung her legs over the side of the bed and set about getting ready for the day. She pulled on a pair of light-washed blue jeans, a green t-shirt, and her usual boots, and tied her curls back into a low ponytail.

She went to the kitchen and set about brewing up some coffee. The smell filled the air, and she poured herself a travel mug and set an extra one out on the counter for James, before heading out to the barn. The cool morning air hit her like a slap, sending a shiver down her spine, but it was a welcome change from the stuffiness of the house. She went to the stalls where she kept her horses, checking on them and giving them some hay before working on saddling them up for the day.

Last edited:
When James returned to his room he closed the door and let out a deep breath. As hard as he was trying to keep things professional with Layla there seemed to be an attraction simmering just beneath the surface of their casual interactions. He could certainly feel it and judging from the looks she'd given him through the evening he was pretty sure she felt it too. He tried to put the thoughts out of his head as he picked up the thick folders containing the tax filings and set them on the bed. He never was one to get to bed early and with the added pressure of the task at hand he knew he wouldn't be getting to sleep for a while so he stripped off his slacks and dress shirt then began pouring through the documents as he leaned against the headboard of the bed.

It was just after 1:00 AM when he'd gotten through the last of the filings. Though he didn't find any one silver bullet there seemed to be some tax credits and deductions that she could take advantage of. Just like the consolidation to a lower interest loan he looked at it like a few extra dollars he could add to the pile that he hoped, in the end, would add up to enough to get her straightened out.

In the morning he woke to the smell of freshly brewed coffee wafting through house. The old bedframe groaned as he pulled back the covers and swung his feet off the side. He picked up the slacks and dress shirt he'd laid over the chair the night before and hung them in the closet then pulled on a pair of jeans and an old flannel shirt. As he looked at himself in the mirror he laughed a little at the thought of Layla expecting him to come out dressed like some corporate yuppie on his first day at the dude ranch in his brand new Wranglers and a cowboy shirt you'd only find in a country bar.

Picking up the coffee she'd left for him on the counter James stepped out into the cool morning air to find her. He expected to find her down at the barn tending to the horses. As he stepped off the patio he saw her in the crossties tacking one up and he made his way over.

"Morning, need any help?" he asked

Layla looked over her shoulder and back at him as he approached. "Good morning. Nope, just finishing up. You sure you don't want me to leave a lead line on yours?"

James laughed "I think I should be ok but thanks for looking out for me."

Layla smiled at his confidence as she finished tacking up her own horse. "Alright, if you're sure. This is Luna," she said, patting the mare she was next to affectionately on the neck. "And that is Casper. You'll be riding him." Both horses were American Paint horses, with splotches of reddish-brown and white covering their coats.

She watched as James approached Casper, his movements smooth and confident, and Casper nickered curiously at him. He patted the horse on the neck and spoke to him softly, making eye contact and earning the animal's trust instantly. It was clear that he'd been around horses before, that he wasn't just some city slicker trying to play cowboy for the weekend. She'd expected him to be more stiff or awkward, but he moved with the grace of someone who had been around horses for years.

Once mounted up, they rode out into the pasture, and Layla couldn't help but feel a sense of relief and peace wash over her. The morning air was crisp and clean, the sun just starting to peek over the horizon. She glanced over at James, noticing the way he sat atop Casper, his body flowing with the horse's movements. He seemed to have an innate understanding of the animal, communicating with him not just through words but through touch and silence. It was a beautiful thing to witness, and she found herself enjoying the ride more because of it.

As they rode across the field, Layla pointed out different aspects of the land and some of the landmarks. She told him about the cattle they had and the various routines they followed in caring for them. It was clear that she knew the land like the back of her hand and had a deep respect for it. Her knowledge of the animals, both the horses and the cattle, was impressive as well. She talked about the breeds and their unique characteristics, and James listened intently, asking thoughtful questions and making insightful observations.

The sun was starting to rise higher in the sky as they approached a small stream that cut through the property. The water was clear and cold, and they dismounted to let the horses drink. Layla led Luna over to the water's edge, and she lowered her head to lap at the water greedily. Layla rubbed her hand over the mare's neck, and glanced over her shoulder at James who brought Casper up next to them. "What do you think so far?"

Last edited:
Though it had been years since James was on a horse it felt as natural as it ever had as they trotted away from the barn then stepped off into a canter as entered the clearing of the pasture. The cool morning air felt good against his face as followed Layla across the fields letting his eyes fall to her seat from time to time as they rode.

He listened as she periodically pointed out landmarks and filled him in on the ranch operations. At just over 500 heads of cattle the 2000 acre ranch seemed slightly underutilized. He figured the land would be able to carry maybe another hundred but but he held that observation for the moment in case there was a reason for it.

As they rode he couldn't help but wonder what the demand might look like for small cabins perched atop a few of the rolling hills on the property. It certainly wasn't a novel concept but it might be something worth considering. In the back of his mind he did some quick return on investment calculations and came to the conclusion that even some of the nicer manufactured dwellings would probably be cash flow positive within a year. He didn't expect Layla would be warm to the idea but it was certainly something to add to the menu of options worth considering.

James was a little relieved and ready for a break when they began to slow as they approached the stream. He led Casper over to the water to cool off.

"What do you think so far?" she asked.

"Definitely a beautiful piece of land you have here. I could be wrong but it seems like you have some land to spare given your current head count. Seems like you could either add some cattle or carve off some for other purposes. Have you ever considered the idea of adding a cabin here and there to rent out? I'm sure it's not something you'd be really thrilled about but there's a demand for that sort of thing so it might be worth giving some thought."

Given how his comment the evening before had gone over he braced himself for whatever was going to come next. It was a questions that needed to be asked though. He wasn't going to be able to do his job properly if he only told her what she wanted to hear.

Layla listened to James's suggestion about renting out cabins on the ranch and pursed her lips. She didn't like the idea, but she understood that times were changing. The way things had been going lately hadn't been working, and something needed to change. Maybe this was part of the solution. "I don't know," she admitted with a sigh. "I just don't want to see this place change too much. It's been in my family for generations, and I want to keep it that way. But at the same time, I can't ignore the fact that something needs to change. "She glanced around at the rolling hills, the grazing cattle, and the mountains in the distance. "It's just hard to imagine it any other way."

Layla turned to look at James, her gray eyes more serious. "But I'm willing to listen to your ideas, and I'll consider everything. I know you're not from around here, but you seem to have some sort of understanding. So, tell me more. What else do you have in mind?"

She hoped that James would have other ideas, ones that she might find more palatable. Because while she was open to the idea of change, she wanted it to be on her terms. She wanted to keep the essence of the ranch alive, even as they found new ways to sustain it.

The fact that Layla was starting to accept the possibility of a less than ideal solution was encouraging to James. He certainly didn't want to push her into anything too disruptive be he also suspected it was going to come down to selecting the least bad option so her willingness to at least consider it was going to be helpful.

"I'm still mulling over a few things that I probably need to research first before we talk them through. Let's put it aside for now, finish our ride and enjoy this beautiful day then tonight we can talk through things." he said. He wasn't necessarily trying to avoid the conversation but there were a few of the options that he felt needed a little more thought and research before he was comfortable presenting them to her.

Once the horses seemed rested and cooled down they mounted up and continued the ride further back into the property. As they rode James noticed a gravel road that seemed to serve as a boundary to the property. He made a mental note to have a look at a map when they got back to get a better feel of the access points and how that could effect any of the options.

As lunchtime approached they made their way back to the stables. James slide off of Casper and untacked him before leading him into the wash rack and clipping him into the crossties. He was lost in thought mulling through the options that were beginning to take shape in his mind when Casper nudged him hard with his head causing the hose to slip from his hand and douse Layla with a solid stream of water as it fell to the ground.

"Shit, sorry about that!" he said in a near panic as he looked up at the startled look on her face.

Layla gave a shriek of surprise as the water drenched her, causing her shirt to stick to her skin and hair to plaster to her face. She blinked at James, the look on his face concerned yet comical, before she started laughing. Memories flooded through her head, remembering days when she and her brothers would chase each other around with the hose and buckets of water. She grabbed the hose from the ground and with a playful smirk she exclaimed, "Oh, you're definitely gonna be sorry!" and aimed it at him.

As she sprayed him, James ducked and dodged, but he wasn't quite fast enough. He yelped in surprise and laughter as she soaked him. Layla let out a delighted cackle, having maybe a bit too much fun as she enjoyed the sight of him squirming and trying to escape the relentless stream of water. He managed to get close enough and grabbed the hose out of her hand with a triumphant cry, turning it back on her once more. He cornered her against a wall and trapped her with his body. With a mischievous glint in his eye, he leaned in close to her, their faces only inches apart. "You're a wild one, aren't you?" he teased, his breath hot against her ear.

Her heart race and she could feel her cheeks flush as she met his gaze. She was suddenly aware of how close they were, how handsome he looked with the water dripping from his hair and down his face. She stared up at him, breathless, feeling a shiver of anticipation run down her spine. The tension between them seemed to escalate in an instant, and for a moment, she thought he might kiss her. "James... I..." she breathed, her voice coming out shaky and uncertain.

Last edited:
Back