This was tough to see, a shocker

12oclocktales

siren songs
Here’s something I never thought I’d see, and now that I have, I post what happened here as a warning/reminder to all other writers. I submitted the second part of a two-part story last week and had it published today after a 9-day Pending holdup (a first for me, usually 2-3 days is the limit). This afternoon I opened up the story and was shocked to see it WASN’T my story, but something I’d never seen before. Who it belongs to I have no clue, though I can imagine if that person opened their story they’d be just as shocked if what they saw was mine. What was really weird was that all the tags I’d chosen were listed with this story, though none actually applied.

Like everybody I always check to see if a new story/chapter is appearing on the site, but never felt it necessary to actually open it up to read. No longer. It will now be the first thing I do, and I suggest everyone else do the same. How this gets resolved I have no idea, but the damage is already done.

Is this a first or have others faced the same cock-up?

Here’s something I never thought I’d see, and now that I have, I post what happened here as a warning/reminder to all other writers. I submitted the second part of a two-part story last week and had it published today after a 9-day Pending holdup (a first for me, usually 2-3 days is the limit). This afternoon I opened up the story and was shocked to see it WASN’T my story, but something I’d never seen before. Who it belongs to I have no clue, though I can imagine if that person opened their story they’d be just as shocked if what they saw was mine. What was really weird was that all the tags I’d chosen were listed with this story, though none actually applied.

Like everybody I always check to see if a new story/chapter is appearing on the site, but never felt it necessary to actually open it up to read. No longer. It will now be the first thing I do, and I suggest everyone else do the same. How this gets resolved I have no idea, but the damage is already done.

This happened to me once many years ago. I messaged Laurel and she took care of it.

Not long. Next day, IIRC, with the overnight update.

Hasn’t happened to me yet. I hope for experience similar to Keith’s if it ever does.

Was the title also from the other story? I also assume the other author's name was on it.

Human-based cock-up most likely. Did you submit it as a doc file? Maybe some kind of editing was needed and someone just clicked on the wrong file somewhere. (Could be a bug, but feels human to me)

Human-based cock-up most likely. Did you submit it as a doc file? Maybe some kind of editing was needed and someone just clicked on the wrong file somewhere. (Could be a bug, but feels human to me)
I think human error, too. Submitted it same way I've done with all my other 30+ stories/chapters. I reported it 7 hours ago and still haven't heard anything.

Yes this happened to me on my second story. I just got it deleted.
I also got a lot of complaining comments because the story didn't match the title.

I was a new writer and didn't know any better at the time. It hasn't happened since.

Generally the story publication has been an efficient process for me.

Yes this happened to me on my second story. I just got it deleted.
I also got a lot of complaining comments because the story didn't match the title.

I was a new writer and didn't know any better at the time. It hasn't happened since.

Generally the story publication has been an efficient process for me.
You have my sympathies; I know exactly how you must have felt.

Back