Things People Probably Don't Know About Aussies .........

JenniZinc

Housewife With Past
I'll go first :sneaky: If you're in company of any gender and ask people what sporting team they're rooting for - you'll probably get more than a laugh or two. In Australia rooting is slang for sex.

With that in mind, Root Beer is something you hope to get after a few cold ones :LOL:

Elsewhere 'barbie' conjures up an image of a plastic toy for girls since the 60's, but in Australia it's a colloquial term for a barbeque (BBQ).

Visited a couple times. Wish I lived there. You guys know how to 'chuck a sickie' way better than us Canucks. I'm guessing hot weather, beer and beaches help.

We don’t drink Fosters. Ever.
I don’t think they even sell it here anymore! So that image of Aussie backpackers always drinking a can of Fosters lager is not a true representation of Aussies lol
When I was stationed in Korea, one of my buddies there had done a walkabout before he singed the dotted line for Uncle Sam.

He met an Aussie lass and they kept in touch. She flew up to spend some time with him and I’m not joking, she brought at least three cases of Aussie beer with her! He invites a couple of us to sample the beer and looking around I see no Fosters. She laughed and said the same thing! “We don’t drink Fosters!”

This was late 80’s and the Fosters craze and advertising was in full force in the States. I take it Fosters is the Old Milwaukee of the land down under?

If you order a hamburger in Australia, it will usually contain beef, cooked onion, lettuce, tomato AND beetroot, with either tomato sauce (Ketchup) or barbecue sauce. Popular add-ons are cheese, bacon, egg or even pineapple! 🍔

Hope it’s ok to say this about Aussies, is that most of the population of the rest of the world, haven’t discovered the Aussie gem that is…. Kevin Bloody Wilson.

I’m sure you will agree Jenni, as Sheila, you were there lol and I say that as I’m a Caring Understanding Nineties Type.

And for those who are wondering what the heck I am talking about, go on U-Tube and look up Kevin Bloody Wilson.

😂🤣 Gina 🤣😂
OMG, Kevin Bloody Wilson has been around for decades, so un PC :LOL:

If you order a hamburger in Australia, it will usually contain beef, cooked onion, lettuce, tomato AND beetroot, with either tomato sauce (Ketchup) or barbecue sauce. Popular add-ons are cheese, bacon, egg or even pineapple! 🍔
Burger and the lot.

The lost the rugby World Cup to Scotland one year, but the whole nation remained silent about an obvious foul so that they’d win. It’s the greatest National shame of Australia.

We have this image of Aussies are fair dinkum, lovable rogues but we are a lot more like rigid rule followers than you would expect. Although we do love taking the piss out of our elected officials.

One of the great joys in life is a Tim Tam Slam. When I have met Americans I always introduce them to it and they invariably love it.
I love tea thru a tim tam

Their opinions regarding the trial of "Breaker" Morant differ somewhat from the opinions of many people in South Africa.

(Edit) What can I say, I'm a history nerd.

I'll go first :sneaky: If you're in company of any gender and ask people what sporting team they're rooting for - you'll probably get more than a laugh or two. In Australia rooting is slang for sex.

With that in mind, Root Beer is something you hope to get after a few cold ones :LOL:
lol

The best people I ever met while on deployment for ISAF were my Aussie friends. They were never negative, always kind, engaged in interesting conversation, and one especially was absolutely gorgeous.

Daily-Pictures-39-2.jpg

Elsewhere 'barbie' conjures up an image of a plastic toy for girls since the 60's, but in Australia it's a colloquial term for a barbeque (BBQ).
That's probably the one thing everyone knows about Australia.

Back