The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out the orchids commonly known as Slipper Orchids or Cypripediums. They are ground orchids, normally, and several species are native to your area. They will require, as I recall, shade and boggy, acid soil. They go dormant in the fall and hid underground during the winter to come back out in spring. For SoCal, they are among the trickiest to grow because we don't have much in the way of winter chilling but you might just at least give them a looksee.

cypripedium_parviflora-MED.jpg

http://www.hillsidenursery.biz/

Since you're in Climate Zone 5b, you should have no trouble with nursery grown native orchids. Most of them are hardy to Zone 4, sometimes even 3.

Know of any that grow in the arctic? ;)

Well, you live in climate zone 1, I think. That's pretty harsh. I'd send an email to that nursery in the link and ask them. I suspect there are but I can't name them off hand. I'll check and email you what, if anything, I find.

Check out the orchids commonly known as Slipper Orchids or Cypripediums. They are ground orchids, normally, and several species are native to your area. They will require, as I recall, shade and boggy, acid soil. They go dormant in the fall and hid underground during the winter to come back out in spring. For SoCal, they are among the trickiest to grow because we don't have much in the way of winter chilling but you might just at least give them a looksee.

cypripedium_parviflora-MED.jpg

http://www.hillsidenursery.biz/

Since you're in Climate Zone 5b, you should have no trouble with nursery grown native orchids. Most of them are hardy to Zone 4, sometimes even 3.

I've seen something very similar--possibly the same species--growing in the wild back home. Didn't realize it was an orchid.

There are damned few locations, barring the deserts or the tundra/Antarctic where some orchid or other doesn't manage to survive. People get the idea that because some of them are spectacularly frilly and outrageously colored that they must be delicate. Hah! As a group, orchids are the most widely dispersed flowering plant there is and tough as old boots.

There are damned few locations, barring the deserts or the tundra/Antarctic where some orchid or other doesn't manage to survive. People get the idea that because some of them are spectacularly frilly and outrageously colored that they must be delicate. Hah! As a group, orchids are the most widely dispersed flowering plant there is and tough as old boots.

I believe there was another one, but I can't remember much about it. It's hard to find.

There's no challenge to growing orchids in either Florida or Hawai'i.

Nope. There's a yearly orchid show in a town nearby...talk about beautiful! I have to keep a firm grip on my wallet or else I'd walk out of there with a dozen or so. :D

Nope. There's a yearly orchid show in a town nearby...talk about beautiful! I have to keep a firm grip on my wallet or else I'd walk out of there with a dozen or so. :D

We have a similar problem. When I can get HM to take a three day weekend we drive up the coast to Santa Barbara. A visit to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estates always runs a minimum of $300. It . . . can . . . get . . . worse!:eek::eek:

We have a similar problem. When I can get HM to take a three day weekend we drive up the coast to Santa Barbara. A visit to the Santa Barbara Orchid Estates always runs a minimum of $300. It . . . can . . . get . . . worse!:eek::eek:

Oh man, if I dropped that kind of coin on some flowers, DW would hang me out to dry! :eek: Of course she's so tight she squeaks.

Oh man, if I dropped that kind of coin on some flowers, DW would hang me out to dry! :eek: Of course she's so tight she squeaks.

HM complains if I use house money to buy most other hobby things but I guess she figures if I'm messing around with flowers, I won't be 'messing around'. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back