The Naked Party Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it as very positive.

She's happy to be home with you. She can be herself.

All the pent-up energies she's stored by being "good" at Daycare are all washed away.

Don't try to join in her games, just sit back and enjoy. Direct her back if she strays out of bounds. Smile. Laugh. Enjoy this intelligent and resourceful human you helped create.

:rose:

(And have a stiff drink as soon as she falls asleep.)

I knew you wouldn't forget about me.. I have something stiff for ya.. drink up.. :D

Yikes! :eek:

Two year olds!
I have no words of wisdom. I've never raised one, nor have I taken any early childhood development courses. All I can say is... good luck. When she turns 14 let me know. I have lots of advice. :D

Ummmm....

anything new at the Party?

Evening all... Please excuse my rant but:

My beautiful baby girl (2yr old) has now been home with me for 2 whole days and has decided I believe that she is either bored with mommy trying to spend quality time with her or is simply more impressed with causing trouble... I believe I just may lose my mind. I spend all week working and feeling bad that she's in daycare. Now I get some time with her and she refuses to color with me, watch tv or play candyland. Instead she prefers to tear things apart, smash food into the carpet, throw her toys at me/the wall/whatever, insist on cookies, jump off furniture, stomp/scowl/and pout, get into my purse, overflow the toilet (why? I don't know) and run around the house saying "no" and "now". I think I may pull my hair out. At this point she is sitting sweetly on the floor playing with a peg board game. I know that if I try to play too she will instantly (oh wait, she just decided to rip it to pieces...) YEAH! Quality mommy daughter time... Yikes! When did my sweet little girl turn into a terror???:confused:

*Sigh* Is it bed time yet?

Two is a rollercoaster ride of excitement and frustration, independence and possessiveness, affection and obstinance... and that's just what your little darling is feeling.

The major catalyst of the two year old explosion is frustration. She has all of these new found talents and abilities, but often finds it difficult to communicate exactly what she is feeling. That's where the outbursts come in. She doesn't even always understand what she is feeling, much less be able to articulate those feelings.

Let her take the lead in the activities. She wants to be independent, but I'll bet she doesn't venture far from where you are. Another way to get her involved is to try something new, preferably messy. Finger painting, wet sand... anything that is out of the ordinary. And instead of inviting her to play, sit down and start engaging in the activitiy yourself. Her natural curiousity will take over.

Molly gave some of the best advice -- ignore it. Ignore as much of the acting out as you can. For a bit it will increase, but when she sees that she gets no attention from it, she will likely crawl up in your lap for a hug. It is one of the hardest things in the world to do, and it takes a lot of patience, but it works.

Most of all, enjoy it. Yeah, I know, easy for me to say (as my 4 year old sits in his room mouthing off :rolleyes:). All of these emotions and activities mean she is developing as she should.

Oh, and don't take it too seriously. Laughter goes a long way to help ease your frustrations.

:kiss::kiss:

Two is a rollercoaster ride of excitement and frustration, independence and possessiveness, affection and obstinance... and that's just what your little darling is feeling.

The major catalyst of the two year old explosion is frustration. She has all of these new found talents and abilities, but often finds it difficult to communicate exactly what she is feeling. That's where the outbursts come in. She doesn't even always understand what she is feeling, much less be able to articulate those feelings.

Let her take the lead in the activities. She wants to be independent, but I'll bet she doesn't venture far from where you are. Another way to get her involved is to try something new, preferably messy. Finger painting, wet sand... anything that is out of the ordinary. And instead of inviting her to play, sit down and start engaging in the activitiy yourself. Her natural curiousity will take over.

Molly gave some of the best advice -- ignore it. Ignore as much of the acting out as you can. For a bit it will increase, but when she sees that she gets no attention from it, she will likely crawl up in your lap for a hug. It is one of the hardest things in the world to do, and it takes a lot of patience, but it works.

Most of all, enjoy it. Yeah, I know, easy for me to say (as my 4 year old sits in his room mouthing off :rolleyes:). All of these emotions and activities mean she is developing as she should.

Oh, and don't take it too seriously. Laughter goes a long way to help ease your frustrations.

Sweetness! so knowledgeable and sexy.......

you know someone who has a child that's close to the same age as a grandchild should be listened to...

Don't ever forget to laugh :D
Might be the best part of life in general :D

My sis-in-law is practicing counting to ten with her little one.

They BOTH count to ten when a tantrum starts... right now it's working (for both, again). She is so wise. (Hopefully she'll be my daycare provider if I ever choose to have my own kids. I'll pay her a fortune. :D)

I bet secretme was a very rambunctious 2 year old.....

Me? Never! Actually my mom tells a great story about the fact that I was an overly articulate 2 year old, which often made her forget I was 2. She at one point told me to stop acting like a 2 year old only to remember that was the age I really was. It's one of her favorites. She thinks I've always been overly good at acting too old for my age. Although now I'd say I'm doing a pretty good job at acting younger than I am.

Take it as very positive.

She's happy to be home with you. She can be herself.

All the pent-up energies she's stored by being "good" at Daycare are all washed away.

Don't try to join in her games, just sit back and enjoy. Direct her back if she strays out of bounds. Smile. Laugh. Enjoy this intelligent and resourceful human you helped create.

:rose:

(And have a stiff drink as soon as she falls asleep.)

Drink is right. that's where I am now. Actually I'm usually very patient with her. I spend a lot of time with kids her age who have so many issues, I'm always very grateful to see my beautiful happy healthy girl. No matter what trouble she may be up to. Usually my answer to her rambunctiousness is to take to a playground. I just haven't had time for that today and she won't let me forget it.

HI Sweet, I actually did get her attention. We decorated the christmas tree. She refused at first, she didn't know what I was doing. So I ignored her, let her watch tv and when she saw how much attention I was paying to the tree she naturally decided to help. It was nice and quiet except for her insistence on another ornament to put in the same place she just put 10 other ornaments in...

They BOTH count to ten when a tantrum starts... right now it's working (for both, again). She is so wise. (Hopefully she'll be my daycare provider if I ever choose to have my own kids. I'll pay her a fortune. :D)

Tantrums?

Just leave the room.

Our daughter tried it once. Son never did.

It loses something when the adults aren't around to hear it.

;)

Don't ever forget to laugh :D
Might be the best part of life in general :D

Always, I totally agree! And she provides plenty of laughter. I love watching her try to dance and sing. My favorite is "You are my sunshine." When she's throwing a particularly nasty fit I'll pick her up and put her in my lap and start singing that song. Right around the "you make me happy..." part she tries to hit a high note that never fails to bring a large smile to my face, no matter what she was doing a moment ago. Even thinking about it now is making me chuckle... That one and "winkle winkle little star, wonder wonder what are..."

She's doing the alphabet at the moment. Right now every time she sees a sign or lettering of any kind she says " Mama! LOOK! ABC's" She hasn't figured out that the A-B-C's she's looking at are called letters.

HI Sweet, I actually did get her attention. We decorated the christmas tree. She refused at first, she didn't know what I was doing. So I ignored her, let her watch tv and when she saw how much attention I was paying to the tree she naturally decided to help. It was nice and quiet except for her insistence on another ornament to put in the same place she just put 10 other ornaments in...

My trees have been lopsided for 20 years!

Tantrums?

Just leave the room.

;)

I once stepped over my daughter in a grocery store aisle as she was throwing a tantrum.

My mom described a parent's attention to the tantrum as the "gasoline that keeps the fire burning."

Tantrums?

Just leave the room.

;)

My favorite tantrum is when she decides to go to the couch and get a pillow to throw down on the floor and fall on. I tried to explain that it looses effect when she makes the floor comfortable to fall on. She doesn't quite understand that...

Stores are easy. We start by getting a cheepo book from the stand at the front of the store. As long as she's good she keeps the book. She acts up and it gets put on the closest shelf to our location and we move on. It worked great for a while. Lately it hasn't been as effective though...

My favorite tantrum is when she decides to go to the couch and get a pillow to throw down on the floor and fall on. I tried to explain that it looses effect when she makes the floor comfortable to fall on. She doesn't quite understand that...

Stores are easy. We start by getting a cheepo book from the stand at the front of the store. As long as she's good she keeps the book. She acts up and it gets put on the closest shelf to our location and we move on. It worked great for a while. Lately it hasn't been as effective though...

Ahhh habituation is a wonderful thing.:rolleyes:

They keep us on our toes, coming up with new incentives for behavior.

I think the tantrum pillow shows incredible intelligence.;) Just because she wants you to suffer doesn't mean she should be injured.

Good thing you're an intelligent woman... she's gonna give you a run for your money.:kiss:

My trees have been lopsided for 20 years!

I once stepped over my daughter in a grocery store aisle as she was throwing a tantrum.

My mom described a parent's attention to the tantrum as the "gasoline that keeps the fire burning."

Good quote! Mine will actually follow me with the tantrum if I try to walk away from it. I ignore her as best as possible. She doesn't throw them as often as she used to. She's more likely to pull ghandi baby on me. She'll be somewhere she shouldn't be and I'll take her by the hand to pull her away from say the hot stove and out of the kitchen. Touching her hand will instantly involve her entire body going limp and a series of pitiful whines issuing from her. Last time she pulled it I got one foot under her bottom and walked her out of the kitchen (cooking turkey a the time) but she finds that funny. I find counting to 3 with the threat of being put in the play pen generally has good results.

Mmmmm.

I love your AV.

It's so - climb-up-a-board-able.

:heart:

your words won't stop the tantrum.. but they distract me enough to tolerate getting up and getting my own beer until I have to get up again.........

you are so sweet....... :rose:

Ahhh habituation is a wonderful thing.:rolleyes:

They keep us on our toes, coming up with new incentives for behavior.

I think the tantrum pillow shows incredible intelligence.;) Just because she wants you to suffer doesn't mean she should be injured.

Good thing you're an intelligent woman... she's gonna give you a run for your money.:kiss:

I give my mom all credit for any intelligence I show. She devised new and unusual forms of terrible punishments for my sister and I. Her favorite and perhaps one of the most devious punishments for the two of us was complete torture. If my sister and I were fighting she would sit us in a corner together holding hands. We weren't allowed out of the corner until we could hug and say we loved each other in a way that convinced her that we meant it. Usually we'd sit there a while taking turns squeezing each other's hand as hard as we could. Eventually we'd apologize and get set free. Or alternatively if we were causing trouble Mom would turn the tv to one of our favorite shows and have us stand in front of the tv facing away from it while she watched our show and we weren't allowed to look. She'd tell us how good the show was and sometimes turn the sound off so we couldn't hear it. We could go back to what we were doing when we told her we were sorry and "sounded like we meant it". My mom was big on the "sound like you mean it" apology....:rolleyes:

She was nothing if not creative. She didn't believe in spankings but I seriously think that the things she came up with for punishment were much worse!:D I plan on using all of them...

your words won't stop the tantrum.. but they distract me enough to tolerate getting up and getting my own beer until I have to get up again.........

you are so sweet....... :rose:

You look plenty "up" to me...

Mmmmmm... Yummy... I'd just love to :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back