The Mis-Adventure’s of Mae and Ivory (Closed for Lexavier)

It was interesting just how Ivory picked up on the simple ignorance of her new companion. She laughed though Mae knew it was not a dismissive way in which she did it. The barbarian listened intently, her brows quirking lightly as Ivory finally indicated that elves could survive on smaller amounts of food than what human’s considered normal. The barbarian snorted lightly regardless, though her smile remained easily enough.

“Remind me of this if we ever go visit any elven settlements,” Her nose wrinkled impishly and for the moment the barbarian seemed almost playful. It seemed at least in the confines of the Inn the two could let down their defenses and leave the masks they wore for the outside world aside, if only for a few moments. The serving girl returned quickly with the beginnings of their meal, Ivory’s of course far easier to prepare than Mae’s. A bowl with two pears was set before her, while Mae had several plates and a flagon set before her with more coming in a few short moments. Without another word Mae set to it, picking up a heavy fork in one hand and the plate in another. She hunched over herself and began to literally shovel the food into her open maw; savoring her meal was not something the barbarian was accustomed to doing. Noisily she chewed and chomped, the contents of her plate being piled on top of one another. She only paused to fill up cup and take a long pull of the watered down ale, a sigh her only comment before she set back to it all over. It wasn’t until the plates were piled upon one another and completely empty did Mae sit back in her chair with a groan, patting her bare abdomen before she took in a deep breath only to release it as a thundering belch that echoed about her.

“S’cuse me,” She finally said, a rather smug look of contentment coming to her face as she peered over at the beautiful elf on the other side of the table.

"I think any settlements would... accomodate you." she retorted slyly. She was about to continue but the demure serving girl arrived with the food. The bowl was placed before her and Ivory critically examined the two pears sitting sweetly together, narrowing her eyes as she appraised them, before nodding to herself.

The noise drew her attention, and sat wide-eyed and open mouthed as the so sexy Mae had turned into a food devil. It was facinating in an odd kind of way, she certainly enjoyed her food. After a few moments though, the pears called to her and she tore her eyes away to slice open her fruit tenderly. She had just finished the first one when that ear splitting belch made her look up in surprise. "Well...." she said softly. "That was.... an experience to behold." she couldnt help but smile though, slicing into the second fruit and placing it in her mouth with a crunch.

The look on Ivory’s face as Mae expelled that rather lewd burp was priceless. For a moment she seemed almost offended, though she smiled again before rather politely calling it an ‘experience’. Mae couldn’t help but laugh herself, watching the elf slice up her fruit rather intently. Mae would have simply chomped into it without abandon, but to each their own. Just as Ivory found Mae’s eating habits interesting, so did Mae find hers. It seemed dainty and almost lady-like, at least to the barbarian. It also made her smile, far from that smug one she wore moments ago. Languidly she reached for her cup and took a deep drink, sighing against the rim as she watched the elf idly.

“Is Ivory your real name?” Mae suddenly ask at length, her look sincere and far from accusing or even devious. “I’ve meet a few elves before and they always had big, long winded names.”

The question caught Ivory offguard and she paused, a piece of pair still half way to her open mouth. Oddly enough no-one had ever inquired such a question, no-one would have dared. She'd never been the type that people had wanted to get to know on a personal level, so she'd never prepared an answer. The memories it brought up stung, and for a briefest of moments a pained expression crossed her face, which she attempted to cover by taking the bite that hovered before her.

A soft smile crept onto her lips. Trust Mae to be so blunt. It was exactly what she needed to be honest, if Mae had been anything other than direct, Ivory might not have been so eager to explain. But instead, she found herself wanting to tell her, she wanted Mae to know everything, every detail about her life, as she did hers. She knew they'd be time to talk about Mae's life on the road and hadnt wanted to rush into anything to quickly.. a contradiction to what they'd been doing only hours before.

"What makes a name real?" she started, continuing before Mae answered her rhetoric quesiton. "I've used Ivory for very nearly my entire life, so in my opinion it is my real name. But you're right in questioning whether it was the one given to me at my birth. And I hasten to add that not all Elves have long names, although most you'll meet will introduce themselves with their clan name too." the smile slipped away and she sighed slightly. "My parents gave me to the Order when I was such a small girl. I didn't understand the neccesity of their actions, nor did I want to. All I knew was I was being taken away from my loving family and given to stuffy old men. I... disavowed them. I stripped myself of my clan name and changed my name to match my hair colour." she smiled whistfully as she curled a lock of her dark mane around her finger. "I had the creamest white hair when I was but a child." She looked up at Mae and met her gaze, knowing she hadn't asked for a life story but hoped she didnt mind.

Mae’s questions seemed to have struck far too close to home; then again Mae always had. The fiery haired barbarian was nothing if not brutally honest, something that not everyone could appreciate. The more delicate types might blanch at such a question, even those of a more sturdier nature might find it far too intimate knowledge for her to know. They had spent one (albeit truly incredible) night together, that didn’t give Mae any right to poke into the affairs of this woman. The look of pain, that subtle grimace of memories best left forgotten was undeniable on that beautiful visage and for a brief moment Mae regretted her question. Never had she really cared if her words tore into another, if they couldn’t handle it that simply wasn’t her concern. Yet somehow Mae found she wanted to erase that look from Ivory’s face, even as it passed and she contented herself with gnawing on her pear slice. It was a silly notion, one that Mae felt caused her stomach to flutter oddly. She finally blamed it on the elf, it was much easier than trying to find the legitimate source...

With that smile Mae had seem only a few times in their short time together Ivory began. Yet right from the get go she threw Mae off balance. Those jade orbs blinked and a rather blank look overtook her beautiful features. Such a esoteric question was simply beyond Mae’s grasp and to even think that hard on something, well, it made her head hurt to even try. Thankfully, Ivory didn’t wait for an answer to the question that really didn’t need one. She proceeded to lay out a tragic tale, at least the way she painted it. Surprisingly, it hit a little too close to home for the barbarian, who suddenly got a rather peculiar look on her face. It was the look of somehow who swallowed something horrible, or the face one made when they remembered something best left forgotten. It was but for a fleeting moment, Mae forced it down and behind the rim of her mug as she downed a rather massive helping of ale. She would have said something, agreed, disagreed, maybe made a joke but for the moment, she couldn’t find her voice and once again was thankful Ivory wasn’t expecting it from her. She swallowed heavily of her drink, sighing into her cup before their eyes met over the table. Her head canted to the side lightly as Ivory spoke of her pale locks as a child, to which Mae finally found it inside her to laugh.

“I can’t see you with white hair, or even blonde,” She wrinkled her nose up impishly and raised her hands to run them both through her short, fiery mane. “Whadda yah think? Maybe I should grow it out and go for the whole damsel in distress blonde, hm?”

Mae flashed that lopsided smile and the light danced in those jade orbs. It was a profound moment, something intimate shared that Mae really wasn’t sure how to react to. It was always easier with a joke, a gut relfex. It was better than saying something she would regret. But still, despite her laughter, she felt she needed to say something. With a soft cough Mae found a heel of bread and picked at it, her gaze drifting to the table before finding its way back to Ivory. “You seemed to turn out alright...regardless...’cept for being a little bitchy now and then...”

Ivory could plainly see the effect her story had had on her strong friend, but any worry was dispelled with the humour that Ivory suspected was Mae's defense mechanism. Despite the joke however, Ivory acted shocked. "Nooo you mustn't change a thing!" she declared adruptly, reaching over to softly sweep a small tuft out from Mae's face. The act was surprisingly intimate as her hand lingered but she slowly drew it back, unable to wipe the grin from her face. She laughed, a genuine laugh that seemed to sparkle with delight. "I shall take that as a compliment, although I was a lot worse believe me. But that's a story for another time." She finished off the last of her pear and sighed. "Are we ready to hit the road?" she asked.

Mae’s words had been in jest though Ivory didn’t seem to take it so, at least that was the Mae took away from her reaction. It was quick as was her touch, though it lingered far longer than he rightly should have. It took her off guard for but a moment, a tickle of warmth touching her cheeks before Ivory reacted fully. Already that smile was upon her lips, a laugh in her voice that indicated things were right. Mae wasn’t one to linger on things, nor was she really in any rush to push ahead. Things would come together when they could, that was just how it went in her world.

And it seemed their conversation had come to an end, the time had come to leave this dirt spec of a village behind them for wherever it was they were going. Mae nodded her consent as she reached for her mug and finished it off, only to refill it from her flagon and repeat the process all over again. With another belch, this time far more subdued, Mae pushed up from chair and rose with a practiced grace. Her right hand slid into her rather small pouch that hung from her hip, her hand dipping far too deep into something so small. She retrieved several gold pieces, more than enough to cover two or three full meals, and scattered them on the table top without a glance at them.

“I got this,” She responded before Ivory could object, if indeed she would. “You get next time.” The fiery haired barbarian contented herself with picking at her teeth as she strode towards the exit, her pack slung over one shoulder and the haft of her axe resting against the other. She emerged into the bustling street with the warm rays of the sun upon her cheeks. Those jade orbs narrowed as she took a quick glance down the street in both directions, taking in the scene for what is was worth with the trained eye of a killer. She noted the children at play, running around with no shoes in the dust, the woman holding a basket of laundry at her hip with a babe in the other arm, the man in tatters begging for coppers in the shadow of a nearby building; it was all collected and processed in those few short moments and Mae found nothing of danger or interest.

“So to the stables I guess, then find us that guide,” She called out over her shoulder, casting her green gaze back towards the leather clad elf.

Last edited:
Ivory smiled warmly but simply nodded her head in silence. She was sure there would be a next time and many times after that, no sense squabbling over a simple meal. Her eyes couldn't help but wander over the armoured frame of her companion as she followed behind, stepping out into the morning sun with a sigh. Much like Mae, she did her own sweep of the immediate surroundings but found nothing of any significance. She nodded again. "I left my pack with my horse when I first came into town. I hadn't intended to be so long, Zith will be worried about me." She looked over at Mae's questioning glance and explained. "My familiar. Left her in charge of protecting my pack, I'm sure she'll be in a mood with me now."

The pair started walking down the road. They must have looked like an odd couple, and certainly everyone moved quickly from their path. She was sure there would be many a story in the tavern they had just left of two gorgeous but deadly women with no discomfort on how much noise they'd made. The mental image of all those grubby men with their fists tightly gripping their poles to the sound of their pleasure amused Ivory and she grinned to herself.

They reached the stables quickly, and Ivory walked straight inside, moving to the end where a chestnut stallion waited patiently. Ivory took a moment to greet her old friend, petting and scratching him before opening the door and slipping in beside him. Her packs sat in the corner and as she opened them, there was a discernible hiss. "Oh I know, I'm sorry..." cooed Ivory. "I got ...distracted. Come on, look, I want you to meet someone. Be nice now and perhaps I'll let you kill something later ok?" The hiss seemed to die to a low vibration, so Ivory reached in and picked up a lime-green and speckled red snake. It coiled itself around her fingers, laying it's head comfortably against Ivory's thumb. It wasn't that big, but it was clearly quite deadly.

Ivory stepped towards Mae carefully, a strange smile on her face. "Mae, this is Zith. Zith, this is Mae. Isn't she gorgeous?" She asked, although it was impossible to tell who she was actually talking to.

They began to walk and Ivory explained her eager interest in going to the stables first. The fact she wanted to go wasn’t a surprise as much as the reason why. A rather quizzical look overtook her beautiful visage, those slender crimson brows furrowed ever so slightly.

“Zith? What is-“ Mae began, though before she could finish her question Ivory explained it all. Mae felt somewhat silly, for a moment she thought it was another person Ivory was speaking of. While she knew little about spellcasters and their ilk she knew enough. The word familiar was well, familiar, and Mae couldn’t help but wonder what kind of fluffy little fuzzball Ivory had waiting for her. Mae didn’t retort as they made their slow way down the dusty streets, Mae’s cloak fluttering about her ankles with each step. She couldn’t help the occasional glance to her side, to the leather-clad elf he kept an easy pace. The thoughts of men fondling themselves at the thought of them was far from Mae’s mind, indeed, she was thinking about acquiring her own mode of transportation. She didn’t own a horse herself and preferred to walk, she was never an animal person after all. She followed after her new companion as they entered the stables, her jade gaze flickering to and fro over the various beasts within their respective stables.

Soon enough they came upon the beautiful stallion that Ivory claimed, a majestic creature even Mae had to admit. She slowly lowered her axe and leaned it against the nearby wall, her lips pursing lightly as she took a step closer to examine the mount. Yet even as she drew closer Ivory was within the stables, going for a pack in the corner that let out a surprising hiss. That look crept back out over Mae’s features as the scene unfolded before her. It wasn’t the sound she was expecting, neither was the serpentine creature that Ivory withdrew. She watched the thick, lime-green body coil about Ivory’s hand, the red specks undeniable as were those dark eyes. The sight of the serpent did not cause Mae to flinch or draw back, though she was obviously surprised by its appearance.

While Mae knew little about certain species of snakes, she knew many of those colorful smaller types of snakes were even more deadly than the larger ones. The big one’s just wanted to crush you to death, ones like that only had to nip you and you were dead. It never happened that quickly though, one had plenty of time to know they were going to die before it ever happened. Mae blinked slowly, that curious look still on her face as her eyes focused on the curious creature that was Zith.

“Well…uh…hullo…Zith,” Mae said uncertainly, blinking those beautiful jade orbs once more before they drifted towards Ivory. The barbarian laughed softly before she gently shook your head. “I shoulda known…”

Ivory just beamed and planted a little kiss on the back of the snakes head before returning her to her bag. She wasn't worried about feeding her, the cheeky thing would have slithered around the stables catching door mice all night. Quickly, she slipped the pack over her back and turned to Mae, a hand wandering out to lightly tease the fine hair on her horses flank. "So uh, what do you fancy doing? We dont have to ride if you dont want, he wont mind a lesiurely pace." She asked earnestly. It wasn't exactly fair to make this woman fork out for transportation that she wouldn't have got before, and Ivory really didn't mind walking herself.

Back