The Knight and the Queens Niece

Eleanor sighed in frustration.

Very good timing. Not.

Eleanor maintained her composure as her step-mother approached and curtsied deeply.

At least there was one thing she learned. Eleanor wondered exactly what her father saw in this woman.

"Ahhh, there we are. Family is starting to arrive," the Queen announced, motioning for the duchess to rise.

"Thank you, Your Grace. I thought I could help with the preparations for the wedding, so I came straightaway," the woman announced.

"Of course, of course," the Queen assured her. Rising herself, she hooked the woman by the arm and lead her away from Eleanor and Brandon.

Eleanor looked at Brandon incredulously and she started to eat, wondering just how long the Queen could keep her busy.

There was nothing Brandon could say at the moment, not whit the Queen sitting in the middle on them both. He could see how hard it was for Eleanor to keep her composure at the appearance of her stepmother. Brandon didn’t know her at all, but for the few hours they spent there before, and that was enough for him.

Obviously the Queen knew her already, she agree with the woman right away by whisking her away before she gave Eleanor a headache.

Don’t worry darling, something tells me the Queen already knew your stepmother, and I’m sure shell keep her away somehow. Let’s and maybe we can sneak out of here.

At that moment Eleanor would have agreed to anything to get her out of that room. When they finished breakfast, they quickly departed, skirting along the edge of the room to avoid being seen.

"I am so sorry, my love. I don't even know that woman anymore. She has NEVER acted like that in the past. In fact, when we met, she was quiet, demure. This woman is the complete opposite," Eleanor explained, sighing heavily.

"I hope she doesn't ruin everything."

He understood why she worried. It would be a nightmare if the woman made a nuisance of herself during the ceremony.

Eleanor slipped her hand under his arm. At least she could be comforted by his presence.

Brandon was just as glad to get out of the big hall as she was, and as they were leaving she started to apologize for her stepmother.

Darling you needn’t apologize to me for your stepmother, let’s just get out and go check on the trap, and don't even think about her.

I’m sure the Queen won’t stand for her to meddle, not with the arrangements the Queen already made.

I wouldn’t worry about her making a nuisance of herself, and the way the Queen rushed her out of the hall, I’m sure she’ll be at her best behavior afterwards .

He smiled at her after she slipped her hand under his arm and both walked out of the hall, and then headed towards the wine cellar.

Eleanor was very happy to be rid of her stepmother. She was even happier to see if they caught the cad in the cellar, though Eleanor wasn't keen on knowing who it was.

Still, it would close the chapter and they could move on to a new one.

When they reached the cellar, she walked in ahead of him, but only long enough for him to close the door behind them.

Brandon was hoping the trap had been tripped and someone was in the tunnel. He wanted this episode done with and close once and for all, and didn’t particular cared who he was right know.

Eleanor walked ahead of him and wondered why, she couldn’t open the trap door by herself, but she stops so he caught up to her. He checks the bottom of the cellar door and nothing had been moved.

There is no one in there Eleanor, I left some marking on the ground and they are still there, and theres no foot print either. I guess we’ll have to wait a little longer, maybe that’s why I didn’t see the Earl of Surrey in the hall this morning. He could be away or something.

She sighed heavily.

Hopefully, this whole disaster wouldn't ruin the wedding. If they didn't get this cleared up though...

Eleanor shook her head.

"Maybe the man just overslept," she commented.

or

"Maybe there's another entrance we don't know about yet," she suggested.

Darling this doesn’t prove anything, like I said he could be away and that’s a possibility seen that he was not in the big hall this morning.

You could be right about that, but until we see him back here he could be anywhere.

Another tunnel could be a possibility but till we know for sure we don’t know where to start looking. We do know there was one in our room, and until we hear about it we can’t just start to pull panels off the wall.

"True enough, the Queen would never understand why we were destroying her perfectly decorated castle. We wouldn't get far, anyways," Eleanor replied.

"We should just enjoy the day. At some point, everything will come right as rain. Until then, we have other things to worry about."

"Our real task is to find your parents and to avoid my step-mother!"

Eleanor laughed.

Darling it’s only been one day really, who know that’s going to happen tomorrow. And you said, let’s enjoy the day and tomorrow is another day, and we do have other things to worry about. I think my parents should arrive sometime late today unless they are delayed.

Unlike your stepmother, I think you’ll like my mother, she’s a very lovely older lady that loves every one. She will adore you he told her smiling.

The nervousness factor doubled with Eleanor.

Later today.

She hoped she would be well received by his parents. Eleanor wanted to make a good impression on them. Mothers were always hard to impress - they wanted what was best for their children.

"You must be excited knowing they will be arriving soon," she said. "I know I would be. I couldn't wait to see my father again. It had been some time since I last saw him."

Eleanor glanced around.

"We should really get out of here."

Brandon though she looked a little nervous at the mention of his parents, and he wondered if she had forgotten they would arrive today, or may she was a little worry after her stepmother entrance this morning.

That had to be it he thought. His mother was nothing like her, and he was certain she would love her. He knew what his mother was like.

Of course I am excited darling. They live way too far for me just ride back and forth. I wish I could talk them into moving here, but my Father loves his horses and if he didn’t have them he would be lost doing nothing.

Maybe after we’re marry I can talk him into selling everything and buy a place here, he doesn’t really needs the money.

Yes I think we better get back, and we’ll check in a day or two if the Earl doesn’t show up by then.

The two returned to the hall only after taking their time to get there. Sometimes all the activity could be exhausting. Other times, the activity was a buzz of excitement. Holidays were like that.

"I wanted to leave a nice welcome gift in the rooms your parents will be occupying. Does your mother have a favorite flower? It's always nice to have something familiar in an unfamiliar place," Eleanor said.

She glanced up at Brandon as they walked. "Just a little something, you know."

They took their time getting back and if it wasn’t for the Queen he would’ve like to just go for a ride.

That’s very considerate of you Eleanor. He favorite flowers are red roses. I think she love to have roses in their room.

I know darling and you just made my day by getting roses for my mother. He stops in the middle of the hallway and kissed her.

Eleanor returned the kiss, and when she finally pulled away, she reached for his hand with both of hers. She glanced up at him.

"I know things have been pretty busy. I also know men have little tolerance for things they have no control over. Is there anything you'd really like to do today? I have nothing else to do but to wait for everyone to arrive," she said.

The further she could get from her step-mother, all the better. She didn't want to be anywhere the woman could find her.

Brandon smiled as he looked into her eyes. Darling I know things have been somewhat hectic for both of us, and right now I’m thinking how nice it would be to hide in our room and make mad love to each other.

If my parents left at the right time they should be here before dinner time, and that’s around two maybe three ours from now. He told her looking up at the sun. We could just hide till then and that will keep your stepmother away from you, unless the Queen gave her some to do to keep her busy.

Eleanor smiled. She took a step backwards towards the apartments, still holding onto his hand, pulling him forward.

"You don't have to tell me twice," she said, laughing softly.

They were certainly a pair of eager and vibrant people. Eleanor felt completely herself with Brandon. There was just something about him that brought out the good things.

It didn't take long to escape the morning chaos and when they approached the door, she finally dropped his hand. She could hear his laughter behind her and she glanced back with a grin. Eleanor pushed the door open and stepped through. Eleanor trapped her bottom lip between her teeth, feeling the normal nervousness that gripped her where he was concerned.

He started to laugh hearing her saying. I didn’t have to tell her twice and laughed. Eleanor must’ve taken his words literally although he had thought about it before, but things got so busy for them both they never had enough time for themselves.

She hurried him towards their room pulling him by the hand. He thought about what the others would said, as their behavior with one another was far from the norm in the Royal castle.

Neither seemed to care and he was surprise the Queen was happy about them both. Perhaps it was something the Queen always wanted to do, but couldn’t never do.

They approached their door after escaping that noise loud crowd and she lets go of his hand, she looks back at him and pushed the door open and goes in, while Brandon follows right behind her. He kicks the door shut behind him with his heel, and walk’s up to her smiling as he wraps his arms around her waist.

Eleanor laughed lightly as Brandon's hands reached around her waist. She slipped her arms around his neck and pulled him down to her, kissing him eagerly. She liked how she felt when she was with him.

Her emotions were running high and she could feel her heart beating hard. The typical nervousness she felt when he touched her excited her. It wouldn't be long and they would be bound together.

Until then, they were going to take the opportunity to enjoy their time together.

Brandon returned her kiss when she pulled him down to her, and couldn't wait till she was naked in his arms once again. He smiled when he noticed she was slightly nervous even after all the time they made love to each other.

He thought of them being finally married and with luck, not to mention the Queens permission, to simply take some time off and ride away together.

He started to remove all his clothes his eyes locked with hers.

Eleanor felt the heat rush up into her cheeks as they locked gazes. Slowly, Eleanor peeled out of the layers of garments she wore until she too, stood there with little else than a smile. She caught herself attempting to minimize his view as would be the norm for any woman with little to no experience and she gave him a sheepish grin.

Eleanor stepped forward and clung to Brandon. The warmth of his body kept her warm and she could feel herself shaking. It was, of course, just her being anxious.

Brandon smiled at her shyness and trying to hide parts of her but did understand. They only slept together just a few times, and in the inns was rather darker than here in the castle, and she was still an innocent young woman.

He opens his arms to embrace her when she stepped closer and clings to him. He could feel her shaking and he picks her up to carry her to their bed.

Just think my love, in a few days we’ll be husband and wife, and you’ll never have to be shy any longer. If it makes you feel better, I love your body and it’s the most beautiful I have ever seen.

He kissed her deeply as he pressed his body to hers.

Eleanor awoke finally. It wasn't the crack of dawn, which meant she had either been very tired the day before or she finally fell into a deeper sleep. The last few weeks had worked on her nerves as the anticipation of tomorrow's wedding approached. The Queen had taken care of most everything and even the dressmaker had outdone herself. Thankfully, Eleanor and Brandon had managed to avoid Eleanor's stepmother and managed to spend time together each day. The nights were even better having convinced Brandon she would feel much better with him staying close.

The future was at hand. The days of checking the trap had all been fruitless, finding nothing each time. She was starting to wonder if she was going crazy or if maybe someone had figured out what they were trying to do. Eleanor had no enemies, but here she was worrying about something that she couldn't control.

Brandon was already gone from her bed. When she ran her hand over the pillow, she could tell he hadn't been up for long. The heat of his body was still warm on the sheets. Eleanor stretched lazily. She just wanted to go back to sleep and wake up ready for tomorrow.

Brandon woke up early as it was a normal thing for him. He quietly slide out of bed so not wake Eleanor, may as well rest a little longer, and with tomorrows wedding he knew they would have a very long and tiring day.
The only sad part was the absence of his parents unless they would arrive today, of course it was possible that they never got his missive or they couldn’t make the trip.

For all he knew everything was ready for tomorrows wedding, and that was what the Queen told him. She also wanted to know where we were going and for how long. He wished he could tell her but they didn’t know themselves. They both decided to just ride and explored the land and the cities they never saw.
He got back as Eleanor just got out of bed.

Sorry I didn’t wake you Darling. I just went out to check if my parents got here, and then I ran into the Queen and we talked for a little while, wanting to know how long we were going to be gone. I told her we didn’t really set a time. He wraps his arms around her waist and kissed her softly on the lips.

Eleanor returned his kiss gently. He had been just as concerned as she with everything going on. Sometimes she forgot that. Men were supposed to be brave and impervious to... whatever, right? Brandon was very much a good man, but he was also human, just like Eleanor.

They had left their plans open and that was probably the most frustrating for the Queen. Eleanor was quite sure she wanted to make sure they had a place at court upon their return, but Eleanor had tasted the freedom from court. The time they would spend away would hopefully, curb that and finally allow her to feel like she could settle down completely.

In the meantime, there were roads to be traveled and cities to explore. Eleanor really didn't think about all the logistics, that really wasn't her forte.

"I'm sure your parents will turn up. It was going to be a very close call when you sent the message in the first place, my love. Have faith," she reassured him.

Back