The Isolated Blurt Thread XXXVIII: Suffering Sappho!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats where you put it in that crap with the vacuum isn't it
I think some you can just soak a bunch of CA glue into it

Yeah, I've never seen the CA glue done but the vacuum and forcing resin is super cool. I like that it's science. ;)

Its hardly science..a bit of thin epoxy and a vacuum to force it into the voids
No more science to that than a coat of varnish

and you missed the natural wood reference;)

I didn't miss it, I'm always perky about wood.

I prefer natural too but I wouldn't discriminate against enhanced either.

pete apparently needed this a bit too much. try not to judge him too harshly.

yes and forty if you count neci's.

which really needs to turn over at some point.

stupid lounge being all stupid and lounge-y and kinda hard to remember most days.

look, i can't help it. i kinda like whatculture. their stupid list videos are occasionally amusing. it's like a palette cleanser or something to watch when i can't go to sleep just yet. i know it's trash, but at least it isn't watchmojo or nicki swift. i do have some standards.

Why can't Wings husband take new pics of her for us?

These are like 10 years old.

What is the origin of the question mark?

Oxford University Press
1 June 2017

Rather fittingly, the origins of the question mark are clouded in myth and mystery. One of the most appealing stories links the curve of the question mark to the shape of an inquisitive cat’s tail. This feline connection is either attributed to the ancient Egyptians (who were, of course, famed for their worship of cats), or to a monk who took inspiration from his curious pet cat, and included the symbol in his manuscript. A parallel story suggests that the exclamation mark derives from the shape of a surprised cat’s tail! Sadly, like many of the most charming and amusing origin stories, there is no evidence to back up this tale.

Another possibility links the question mark with the Latin word quaestio (‘question’). Supposedly, in the Middle Ages scholars would write ‘quaestio’ at the end of a sentence to show that it was a question, which in turn was shortened to qo. Eventually, the q was written on top of the o, before steadily morphing into a recognisably modern question mark. However, just like our cat friends above, there is no manuscript evidence for this theory.

The story accepted by most involves Alcuin of York, an English scholar and poet born in 735, who was invited to join the court of Charlemagne in 781. Once there, Alcuin became one of Charlemagne’s chief advisors, and wrote a great number of books, including some works on grammar. In the early Middle Ages, punctuation was limited to a system of dots at different levels. Recognizing the limitations of this system, Alcuin created the punctus interrogativus or ‘point of interrogation’. This mark was a dot with a symbol resembling a tilde or ‘lightning flash’ above it, representing the rising tone of voice used when asking a question. This new punctuation mark spread rapidly from the court of Charlemagne to other centres of learning. However, its use still remained haphazard, and it was often interchanged with the exclamation mark, or omitted entirely. It wasn’t until the 17th century that the question mark gained the familiar form and rules of use that we know today, and not until the mid-19th century that it first began to be referred to as a ‘question mark’.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/explore/origin-of-question-mark

Your link is broken but I'm not interested in DYI, if I'm going to stabilize it I will go the whole hog and buy the equipment.

DYI? Do Yourself In? Not that dangerous!

All blog(all one word)spot links don't post here

Unless doing on a commercial scale is buying the equipment worth it? You would have to turn out and retail a good number of knives IMO to justify the cost. DIY works for small scale hobbying.

Hold Fast Stabilization System
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=woodprep-stabsys

Word Of The Day

ataraxy
(also ataraxia)

n., A state of serene calmness.

Origin: Early 17th century: from French ataraxie, from Greek ataraxia ‘impassiveness’, from a- ‘not’ + tarassein ‘disturb’.

I don't need to stabilize anything that bad.
If I'm turning a burl or spalted chunk I will pour the CA glue to it and that will be fine.
If I buy any vacuum system it will be for veneering

I don't need to stabilize anything that bad.
If I'm turning a burl or spalted chunk I will pour the CA glue to it and that will be fine.
If I buy any vacuum system it will be for veneering

CA = cyanoacrylate? :confused:

What's the deal with that?

DYI? Do Yourself In? Not that dangerous!

All blog(all one word)spot links don't post here

Unless doing on a commercial scale is buying the equipment worth it? You would have to turn out and retail a good number of knives IMO to justify the cost. DIY works for small scale hobbying.

Hold Fast Stabilization System
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=woodprep-stabsys

It's not about dangerous. I can handle danger, it's just I like using things I know will work. If I try to DIY something on a treasured piece of wood and it doesn't work...oh hell no.

The Ginger just got in a shit-ton of exotic wood and I'm like a geek nerding out over some of the beautiful ones. I think the Kona is my favorite right now. He also got a burl that has bullets in it and I think we both understand now why people use a metal detector over those lots before they buy them, however he didn't think about it. I kind of want to make a table with it and leave the bullets in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back