The Fourth Age (closed)

Eruve watched as Gimli gifted his axe to Miras as she took some throwing knives. It was a great personal gift to give up and meant a lot to Miras. She then watched as Legolas give Lexan his bow. The tales of how Legolas handled a bow were legendary. Most elves learned to shoot well with a bow, but she had always enjoyed the sword. Her father always stated that she had to be different.

She paused as Legolas approached her and handed her his fighting knives. She stared from the gift to him in shock. She was not expecting anything. She would have argued the fact he was giving up something meaningful to a stranger, but it would have been rude and disrespectful. She smiled as he spoke. “Thank you, Lord Legolas,” she said with gratitude and a bow of her head, “You will get them back upon my return.”

"No," Legolas shook his head, "you will keep them for your family as our thanks for offering your services. And in all honesty," he leaned in close, "I have a feeling... a very potent feeling, that this fight will not stay in Delnirith."

Eruve nodded as Legolas told her to keep the blades as a gift. It was generous of him and she was thankful for it. She drew in a breath as he spoke of the threat not staying where it was at the moment. “Yes, I know the feeling. That is the reason why I came here. I cannot not do something about this and even if I fail, at least I tried. It is not the time to be complacent.”

"You are very brave. You remind me of several members of the Fellowship... Samwise especially, I often counted him as the bravest of us all." Legolas wrapped a gentle arm around her shoulders. "Come, join us for dinner. You see, we've taken a great interest in your group because of its members. Uther is a dear friend and, in a way, the King's unofficially adopted son, and a hero to the people of Minas Tirith though none know his name. Lexan is not just my nephew, but a defender of Lorien and an elf among elves for his great skill, navigation skill, supportive nature, and he is invaluable for being the man who knows the most about Delnirith after having recieved the reports from the only man to return. Miras is an heir of Moria and the finest axeman south of the Misty Mountains, and his nature and heiritage give him an attitude about exploring Delnirith that is a great support to his allies. He also wishes to prove himself worthy of his fathers' name."

“I don’t know if I would say I am brave,” Eruve said softly to Legolas as he put her arm around her, “I just feel that I owe it to Middle Earth. I’ll fade away eventually, but my legacy will stay. And I want to leave a good one for my people. I don’t want fame, but just want to be proud of what I have done.” She only wanted to help.

She was intrigued as Legolas spoke about the ones she would be traveling with. She had to admit she know less than nothing about them all. She nodded as he spoke. “Seems I am traveling with quite a group. One cannot help but wonder if I have much to offer the group.” She then smiled, “But of course I will join you all for dinner.” She wondered if they were wondering about her and what she was good at. So far she had proved that she was good at dodging information about herself, but she knew that would not last forever.

At the table, Eruve would sit down with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Uther, Miras, Lexan, Harken, and Arwen. The other princes were with the men who'd come to fight, speaking to them and inspiring them. All but Lady Arwen had gathered, but when the door opened, all rose for her. Her dear son caught her hand ever so gently and pulled out a chair for her at the right side of Aragorn. The meal was brilliant and stories were shared by the Fellowship members in attendance about the Battle for Helm's Deep so long ago. Gimli, once embarrassed by the action, joked about how Aragorn had tossed him from the rocky side path to the ramp leading to the Deeping Wall gate, and Legolas and Lexan nearly choked, laughing.

But after they'd finished and were enjoying warm mulled wine and simply talking over this and that, a Gondorian suddenly burst through the door and fell to the floor, blood spilling from his shoulder from a deep wound. "My lord!" He cried, "Helm's Deep is under attack! Black creatures from the north!"

"Harken, take your mother to the caverns and see that all women and children make it inside."

"But father, I want to fight!" Harken looked to the King, only to recieve a wilting glare.

"You cannot impress people if they are not alive to see your achievements, Harken! Now do as I say!" Aragorn snarled, and his son turned away with a growl, leading Arwen away. Harken was known for a tense relationship with his father. Harken wanted to be a hero and do as he pleased to achieve the title, whereas Aragorn kept him to his duties, knowing he'd be a terrible king if he did not remember that it was a job, not just a title that allowed him to do as he liked whenever he liked.

"Lady Eruve, Lexan, join me on the walls with your bows!" Legolas told them, bolting out the door. Miras ran to sound the horn to gather the men to fight, and Gimli, Uther, and Aragorn all picked up their weapons. Outside, nothing short of horror awaited them. Creatures akin to dragons filled the air, but were the size of dogs. There were hundreds upon hundreds, and they were vicious as hyenas.

Eruve sat there at the dinner, enjoying the company and the stories they told. It was nice to hear the stories from the ones that had been there. The stories tend to gain and lose some things after many others get a hold of them and then twist them slightly to their suiting.

She frowned as a man fell as he came in, covered in blood. It seemed the time for merriment was over and now they needed to fight. She stood up from her chair as Aragorn and his son argued over him hiding. It seemed it was the best option for him at the moment. Whatever was out there did not look to be easy to take down.

Nodding at what Legolas said, Eruve quickly removed her cloak for access to all her weapons and followed him out the door. She grabbed her bow as she ran, ready for whatever was to come. She paused for a brief second as she took in the horror of what was unfolding outside. She said something to herself in elvish as she starting moving again. She had never seen creatures such as these. She pulled out an arrow and trained her bow on one that was swooping in on them. The hides looked to be thick and she did not want to waste arrows, so she fired at the eye, shooting through it and hitting, what she assumed was the brain, which seemed to drop it from the air. "So other than killing them all, is there a plan," she asked Legolas as she pulled out another arrow.

"Not yet," Legolas answered as he let loose an arrow through the soft underside of a beast's lower jaw. It plummeted to the fields below. "The king will know what to do, and he'll tell us when he does."
Arrows and black flying lizards filled the air, til a roar came from Aragorn: "Light your arrows ablaze! The fire destroys their hides!" So men lit their arrows and let loose. Now, any hit anywhere brought the things down. As quickly as they had come, they fled, only for one to turn round and come back, carrying something in its little claws. It was shot out of the sky and landed at Aragorn's feet. He picked up the capsule the beast had carried, and looked at the scroll within. He read it aloud:

"To the King of Men and all present: the Fourth Age's end is at hand, as short as it has been. I welcome you all to your deaths at the shores of the land you call Delnirith, for none of you will last a single night in my domain. Saruman, Saurdon, and the Uruk-hai of the Third Age were children, feeble inklings of beings compared to my might, my beasts, and my forces. The Shire shall fall at dawn in exactly one month, to give you a taste of the future that awaits you when I take this continent.

In all sincerity,
Kaan Dache..."

Aragorn paled when he saw something in the bottom of the capsule: the ear of a Hobbit.

Eruve continued to shoot and take down as many as she could. They were relentless. Even once they lit the arrows on fire, they still showed no fear. She would have started to have second thoughts if she was not enjoying the fight secretly. She had been kept on a seat in a council, biding her time, longing for a day she could show that she was more than her father’s daughter, she was a warrior. She had always known it was who she really was.

She listened as King Aragorn read aloud the scroll that one beast had carried. She frowned as he continued to read. She could not figure out why someone would first attack someone of no threat. It did not prove anything and did not take out an enemy. She shook her head as she held her bow. Seems they were on a schedule now.

Aragorn set the scroll aside, "Kaan Dache..." He shook his head, then boldened. "There's going to be a change of plans! I need volunteers to join part of Gondor's army to defend the Shire, and runners to send word across Middle Earth about this threat! Uther!" He looked to the human, who'd just lowered his bow as he kept watch on the skies for more of the beasts. "You and your group, meet with me in my chambers. The rest of you!" He faced all the men scattered around the walls. "This is only a taste of the dangers Delnirith holds! The steadfast and brave may stay to continue their intended mission or assist the Shire! Those of you who have changed your minds... I do not blame you, but do not abandon your King's cause! I need every last able man and woman I can get to help prepare for what may be a threat to us all!" He looked down to the capsule and the hobbit's ear there, and he showed them all. "This is what Kaan Dache has done to show us his resolve. He has obviously already struck the Shire in some way, and we must stop him from hurting any more of our dear friends!"

"Sir!" A brave young man bolted to Aragorn. "I have one of the fastest horses in Rohan, let me ride ahead to the Shire!"

"Very well. Find Samwise Gamgee, Peregrin Took, and Meridoc Brandybuck, they are leaders in Hobbiton. I will send my son Bheyard with you, he knows all about Delnirith and will remember this message best."

"Yes sir, it'd be an honor to have the Prince. I will protect him with my life."

"Good man. Go inside with one of my guardsmen to Bheyard, you will leave at sunrise." Once the man had gone, Aragorn posted sentries and sent all else to rest. He brought Uther, Eruve, and their allies and the council into a private chamber, and he faced them with a stern gaze. "I'm tempted to believe Dache when he says he's more of a threat than Sauron was... The fact that we know nothing about him and little about Delnirith and its beasts is strength enough... Secrecy will be his best weapon to start with."

Eruve stood there as King Aragorn told the men what to do now that the plans had changed. She started to wonder who or what would do this. When he held up the ear she sighed softly. Why would anyone hurt the hobbits? Maybe he did view them as a threat after what happened last time.

She made her way to Aragorn’s chamber with the rest of the group. She watched him as he spoke. She nodded at what he said about the strengths of their foe. “We also need to address the fact he knew we were all here,” Eruve said speaking up. “And unless you sent him word of your plans of attack, which I doubt you would do,” she said to King Aragorn. “So, we either are dealing with creature that is all-knowing and if that is the case, we don’t stand a chance. Or he might have spies in Middle Earth. And if that is the case, then once they are dealt with, we will at least some element of surprise as well.” Not that it would be wise to spread the armies thinner than they were, but if there were spies it would be smart to deal with them.

"He may well have some level of magic on his side helping keep track of us," Legolas offered. "He did say he was more powerful than Sauron, but he may well be using similar tactics."

"Do ya still have that Palantir ball, Aragorn?" Gimli raised an eyebrow.

"Yes... why?"

"Well, it's a known fact tha' one o' them's missin'. Maybe 'e's got one."

"True... well thought, Gimli." Aragorn turned to send one of his men to get the Palantir. "As for spies... Isengard will help us to discern who they may be. Wizards are unmatched when it comes to seeing into the shadows and finding liars and traitors."

Eruve stood there silently and listened. There was not much she could add to the conversation at the moment. She leaned back as against the wall with her arms crossed and watched them as they spoke of how the enemy could know their moves and plans.

"We're only wasting time by talking," Aragorn sighed. "All of you, get plenty of rest. I have a feeling Hell's staring us in the face and we're the only ones who know it."

Uther would be the one to show Eruve to a room in the keep, a small but private chamber. "I hope this is comfortable for you," he told her as he unlocked the door with a key given to him by a guard. "It's not much, but... I imagine you'd like your privacy instead of bunking with a bunch of men."

Eruve followed Uther as he led the way to where she would sleep. She had not thought about the fact that she was female in a sea of males and sleeping would have to happen at some point. She smiled briefly as Uther unlocked the door, showing her the room.

She looked around the room as he spoke. “I honestly did not expect a private room,” she said as the turned back to him, “I am sure it will be perfect for the night. I do not to put anyone out or demand more than what the other’s get.” She paused for a moment and then continued, “May I ask how long have you known King Aragorn and the others?”

Uther nodded, leaning on the doorframe. "Since I was hardly six years old, if I remember correctly... I'm from Edoras, and had to come here for safety with my parents. I was just big enough to draw a bow, and they needed all the help they could get, so Aragorn found me in the caverns and gave me a bow, and put me high on the top of the Keep where I could fire down and still be safe. After the Battle for Helm's Deep, I went to Minas Tirith with the Rohan riders. My family had all been killed in a warg attack on the way to Helm's Deep, so I was alone except for my older brother. I was there in the battle for the capital of Gondor, even fought at King Theoden's side, and met King Aragorn, Lord Legolas, and Lord Gimli and the others in the battle. King Aragorn saved my life and gave me a horse to ride and fight with like a real man of Rohan, and I've explored Middle Earth and fought in his name ever since. I was even at Mordor for the final battle, and I was at his side when Minas Morgul and Sauron fell."

Eruve stood, watching Uther as he spoke. She was quite impressed by his story. He has been in many of the important battles. She nodded, “Now I see what Legolas was saying about you. You have made quite a name for yourself with these men. You are a hero and I am honored to be part of your group.” She paused as she looked around the room again. “You mentioned an older brother,” she said her eyes rested on him again. “What of him?” She wondered if he was alive and if so, was he noble like Uther was.

"Oh, Oswyn? He should be currently at the northern shores of the Sundering Sea. We'll meet him there and he'll be coming with us to Delnirith. Apparently this Kaan Dache isn't using a direct route into our lands, because Oswyn's seen nothing coming from Delnirith thus far, so the port town we're going to is at least peaceful and we'll be able to get the ships going faster without the chaos that other places like the Shire might be in."

Uther then smiled, "He's the best warrior I've ever known, one of the finest there ever was of the Rohan Riders and once a personal guardian to King Theoden's late son, Theodrid, as well as one of the first men to join Lord Eomer when he was exhiled during the War for Middle Earth. He was in all the same battles as I was, and if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here right now, nor would Lord Legolas. As amazing a fighter as he is, Lord Legolas was once caught by four Uruk-hai at the Battle of Minas Tirith, and my brother, I saw him jump off the outermost wall of the city, and he crashed down on the Uruk-hai and slew them all, even though when he landed, he shattered most of his left arm and ribs." He spoke proudly of his brother, he loved the man dearly.

Eruve could hear the love in Uther’s voice as he spoke of his brother. He smiled as he spoke of Oswyn’s feats. Even she was impressed with the stories Uther was telling of his brother. It seemed the group on a whole was well rounded. Each added a something to the group to make it stronger. She hoped it was enough to keep them all alive through it all. She smiled at Uther, “Oswyn seems impressive. I bet he speaks just as proudly of you. We are lucky to have such brave souls fighting against this Kaan Dache. Seems we will have quite a battle on our hands.”

"I'm sure we will." Uther nodded and stood up straight once more, speaking a bit more softly now as all the other men were heading to bed, "You'd best get some sleep. We'll all meet an hour after dawn on the high inner wall with the Council and the King will give us our exact orders. We'll be gone from Helm's Deep by noon, if not long before, and from what I understand... we'll be heading along the edge of Fangorn, to Lorien, through Moria, and up past Sarn Ford and to Hobbiton, then we'll head to the Icebay of Forochel to board the ships."

Eruve stood, listening to Uther tell her the plan for tomorrow. It was going to be a long journey to get to the ships alone. She hoped their enemy would not think much of their small band traveling across the land. The odds of that were not great. He seemed to know things he should not, however he was getting the information.

She nodded, “Very well. I shall see you in the morning then.” She turned towards the small bed and sighed. Her mind wandered as she readied herself for bed about the trip and what was to come. Her father had warned her about the mission she was so ready to take. He warned of her of the bloodshed and loss that would happen. She was ready. She had always been ready.

Morning came far too fast, and after a hasty breakfast for the group, they all came to meet with Aragorn and Council, only to find out that Gimli and Legolas were going to be accompanying them despite Aragorn's wishes. Gimli was intent on going for the sake of dwarves, and Legolas refused to stay behind if he left. Their bond was far too strong to separate them, it was even hard to keep them apart even when they were at their homes that were so close together in Moria and Lorien.

Aragorn faced them all, his expression grave. "You all know what you must do... you will have the aid of every friend and ally of Gondor, Rohan, Lorien, and Moria on your way, but from what I understand, the area between the Shire and the Icebay is likely to be the most dangerous area in this leg of your journey. Waste no time, stop only when you must, and when you reach the Icebay, set sail immediately. Once you've reached Delnirith, you must take your time to understand the land and the creatures there so that no mistakes will be made. If there are people or sentient beings there, find out all you can about Dache and where he is and who he is. You will all be given the fastest and strongest Rohan horses we can muster and enough supplies to reach at least Lorien if not further. Make only brief stops in Lorien and Moria to gather men to the cause, tell them that our forces will be coming by soon and they may join us then. When you reach the Shire, only pause to make sure the hobbits are well. If the Shire should be ruined or under attack, do your best to help, no matter if it slows you down. The little hobbits are our friends and dear companions, even if most of them don't pay any mind to the outside world. While you're there, find Samwise Gamgee, he will assist you. And if possible, find Peregrin Took and Meridoc Brandybuck, they know the northern roads well and can give you a good path to the Icebay. Now... Are there any questions or concerns?"

Eruve awoke after tossing and turning most of the night. She was not sure if it was the bed or the fact that she knew the next morning was the beginning of a dangerous journey. She was ready for it, but that did not mean she still did not have an uneasy feeling in the pit of her stomach. She could not shake it for now. She knew there was no way the group could get through this without losing a few.

She stood with the rest of the group as Aragorn told them of the plans. She had braided her long red hair back letting it trail down her back. She had all her weapons, including the ones Legolas gave her strapped on and they were covered by her cloak. She stayed silent when Aragorn asked if there were any questions as she had none at the moment.

None of the others had anything to ask or add, so Aragorn stepped outside with them, to the Deeping Wall gate. They were all brought their horses, and Aragorn shook every hand. "Good luck... do your best, and know that no matter what happens, I'm proud to count all of you as friends, no matter how shortor long a time we've known one another, all of you are my friends. When this is over, if you can return to me, I will reward you with all I can and we will enjoy a great celebration in honor of the taming of Delnirith and the heroes responsible. Now go, make me proud."

Uther led the group naturally, and soon, they were off at full tilt with the goal of getting to the edge of Fangorn by nightfall. No one spoke much, all knew how dire their mission was. That was, til Miras and Gimli started singing some old tavern song, which Lexan and Legolas joined gladly to lighten the mood.

Eruve rode out on her horse as they left for their journey. She thought about what Aragorn had stated as she rode toward the rear of the group. She remained silent, like the rest of them. All of them must have been thinking of the same thing, the dark feeling that was hanging over all of them. It was not easily dismissed.

She smiled as she heard the dwarves start to sing. It seems like a pleasant tune. She did not know it herself, but the Legolas and Lexan seemed to. It was nice to see the mood lighten a bit as they rode. She was an outsider to their group and enjoyed watching them interact. She looked around as she smiled, listening to them.

Back