The Fourth Age (closed)

They rode through the day, and came to a halt at the edge of Fangorn to take cover at the foot of the trees. Orcs didn't dare enter the forest, not since the rise of the ents back at the fall of Isengard. The trees were dormant once more, and even if one was awake, humans, elves, and dwarves were welcome if they were not hostile. And Legolas and Gimli were always welcome since their visit with Aragorn and reunion with Gandalf the White in the depths of the woods.

They made camp, and made a small fire in a clearing, sure to keep it safely away from the trees. Over a meal, Gimli told great stories of the unknown depths of the tunnels of dwarves. He told them of a legendary time when they struck an underground hold of demons and fought them for a year straight and came out triumphant with a grand haul of mithril. Gimli boasted that his father, Gloin, was a warrior in this battle. Legolas just called him a bag of hot air, which got Lexan laughing. Prince Bheyard, who'd joined them by Aragorn's request to meet with the Hobbits in the Shire, had already made great friends with the dwarves and was glad to join in.

Off to the side, though, Eruve would see that Uther, like her, enjoyed watching the group, but he was removed like she was, if not more.

Eruve was leaning against a tree, riding a horse all day made her long to stretch her legs. She watched and listened as Gimli told tales. She enjoyed his way of telling tales. It might be exaggerated, but It made the tale that much more interesting. She was used to the bluntness of the elves. She smiled as she heard Legolas challenge the story as it was being told.

She looked over to see Uther standing off to the side like she was. For someone whom was the leader of the group, she would have thought he would be in the middle of the group, joining in on the story telling. Not that he needed to build himself up any. They all knew him and trusted him. She quietly made her way over to Uther, one of the pluses of being an elf was the ability to be light on their feet. “You are not in the mood for tales,” she said softly as she stood beside him, “or do you just have a lot on your mind?”

"More the latter than the former. I'm listening to them," Uther muttered, looking up at the sky through a break in the dark green canopy. He sighed softly, "As much as I hate to think about it... I'm just wondering who among us won't be coming home... I swear I'll try my damnedest to see that we all come back... But I just have this feeling I'm going to lose someone." He shook his head and met her eyes, "You seem to be removed from the group too. What's your reason?"

Eruve nodded silently as Uther spoke. She had been dealing with that feeling all day. There was no way that they could all survive. Not if what they faced last night was any indication. She looked at him silently for a moment when he asked her her reason for being withdrawn. “It seems my reason is the same as yours,” she said softly. She looked to the group, “I cannot shake the feeling either. I was hoping it was just me being silly, but…” She broke off and looked back at Uther and shook her head, “I am not the only one feeling it.”

"I guess all we can do is make our way forward and not dwell on it..." Uther then rose, "Come on," he motioned her over to join the main group. It was better to get to know them all and have great friends, even if they might be lost, than to be a loner and never have had friends in the first place.

Eruve agreed. It was better to not dwell on it. If it was someone’s fate to die, then they could not stop it. She watched him rise and beckon her to join the group with him. She drew in a deep breath and joined him with the group. She knew it was best to get to know the group, so if or when any died, they were known enough for the legacy to be carried on through stories. Of course that also meant she had to open up and let them get to know her as well.

Gimli had just finished his story, and at the joining of Uther and Eruve, he grinned brightly, "Ah, look who's a-joinin' us. Have a nice, chat, strangers?" He chuckled. "Yer both awful quiet ones, aintcha?"

Eruve smiled as she joined the group and Gimli spoke. She laughed softly at his questions. “Indeed we are the quiet ones.” She sat down with them and smiled at Gimli, “I know I cannot compete with your stories. I have not had the adventures you all have had it seems. I would bore you all to sleep if I was the one talking.”

"No story's not worth hearin', though, lass," Gimli told her with a sagely tone about his voice.

"Except that fake story about how you took on one-hundred Uruk-Hai without your axe and came out with nothing but a bruise," Legolas grinned, earning a laugh from Miras and Lexan, and a glare from Gimli.

"Anyhow," Gimli grumbled, "tell us a story, lass. Anythin'. We hardly know a thing about ya."

Eruve sat thoughtfully for a moment as the toyed with the idea of telling them about herself. They were going to be fighting with her so they should know who she was. “Well,” she said softly, “I cannot promise an interesting story, but I can promise it is true. As you know I hail from Mavanue. We tend to keep to ourselves since we are off the beaten path and rarely see a visitor. I am sure some of you have heard stories of us as we are just as mysterious as the land we are traveling to.” She smiled, “But I am sure only a small portion of those stories are true. As for myself, I am on the High Council and quite the outspoken one. And that is why I am here to fight.” She paused for a moment before continuing looking at the ground, “The king of my people, Lord Faelon, begged me not to come for I had no business in this battle. I had better, more important things to do.” She looked up at the group and smiled slightly, “Don’t think that Lord Faelon is weak by begging…I am also his daughter. So, deciding to come on this journey was not something he was happy about. I was born a warrior and it is time for Mavanue to take a stand and help out the people of Middle Earth.” She looked to Gimli with a smile, “I should leave the story telling to you, Gimli.”

"Yer a good lass," Gimli told her with a proud smile, "'elpin' people what yer own ain't got stock in. Good heart in ya, I see it. Now, as fer Uther... boyo, we all know ya but Miss Eruve, 'ere. Tell 'er a story, lad."

"What's to tell? I'm from Rohan, fought at the Deeping Wall, and served the King ever since."

"Bah, ferget you. I'll tell ya some o' th'mazing things this 'ere lad's done. Five years ago, while we was all still clearin' out Mordor, this lad went to where ol' Minas Morgul used to stand..."

Gimli told her of how Uther traveled with a horse battalion of fifty men, all come to fight and protect the workers who were moving to Mordor for good work in mines and quarries. When Uther arrived, the workmen's camp was laid in ruins, and he charged out toward the volcano Mount Doom, and destroyed the remaining orcs and Uruk-Hai there with his men, but he was the only survivor of it all save for his brother at his side.

Eruve listened to Gimli tell a story about Uther. It seemed that Uther had had quite the heroic life, though he would probably not call it heroic. He did not seem like the type to brag any. She looked at Uther with an impressed look once Gimli was done, “How more tales do you have like this? It seems your life is filled with heroic deeds. One day you should have them written to be passed down so your family will always remember your legacy, because it is worthy of remembering.”

"'e'd never do that if 'e 'ad the chance, the lad's too 'umble 'bout all the good 'e's done," Gimli sighed.

"I'm nothing special," Uther told them quietly.

"Like hell you're not," Lexan rolled his eyes.

Eruve nodded with what Lexan said. "I doubt anyone would agree with that statement. It seems you were born to be someone very special. I respect the fact you don't feel the need to boost about it, but you cannot deny the fact you have survived much more than many have. I am certain you cannot blame it on luck, it has to do with your ability and character. I really hope that one day someone writes your story down so you can be remembered."

Uther genuinely smiled at that, and with a calm, soft tone, he said, "Well... thank you, Lady Eruve." Gimli chuckled at this and whispered something to Miras and Lexan, who both laughed aloud.

Eruve smiled back at Uther as he thanked her. She then raised a inquisitive eyebrow and looked over at Gimli, Miras and Lexan. "Gimli must have said something truly funny. Please tell us so we can join in the merriment." She gave Gimli a sly smile.

"Ah, nothin' lass, 'cept you two'd be quite the pair."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Uther raised an eyebrow.

"I'll tell ya when yer grown up, boyo." At that, Uther shook his head.

Eruve furrowed her brow at what Gimli said. She chuckled softly as he spoke to Uther. She found it amusing that Gimli was teasing Uther. She looked to Uther after Gimli was done, "Guess you still have some growing up to do." She looked to Gimli, "What about me? Can you elaborate for me or am I too young as well?" She was only teasing Gimli as he did to Uther. She smiled at Gimli.

Last edited:
"Far too young, far far too young," Gimli grinned, then stood. "Alright, ya wee kiddies, I don't care how old'r'young ya are, time fer bed." So, he, Lexan, Miras, and Legolas all went to their respective sleeping spaces. Prince Bheyard remained at the fire a while, deep in thought, and Uther didn't go either. Uther was keeping first watch.

Eruve laughed softly at how Gimli saved himself. He was rather quick, that was for sure. She nodded at what he said next. He was right and they needed their rest. She looked at Prince Bheyard, whom seemed to be deep in thought. She furrowed her brow for a moment as she wondered what was going through his mind. It is interesting to see people as they deal with stress and other things. She then stood up. She looked at Uther, “You will be keeping an eye out for enemies first, I assume. I suppose I should get some rest like the others. Who all is taking watches?"

"Legolas, Lexan, and I are the watchmen usually for our eyesight," Uther answered as he rose to walk over to a tree to gain a height advantage. "You'd best get some rest, Lady Eruve. It's going to be a long journey with no rest at the end, only another waiting for us."

(I'm going to go for a timeskip ahead to the Shire)

Eruve was going to offer her help as she was an elf and had the same keen eyesight as Legolas and Lexan, but she did not have the experience that they all did. She nodded her head at Uther, "I will." She turned and went to her place to rest.

(sounds good)

It was a long, constant journey before the group finally arrived just outside the Shire, but they could already see something was wrong, even from afar. Smoke clouded the sky and stifled sunlight, and as they drew closer, they found that the vast greenery of the Shire's fields had been burned to nothing. Some houses built into hills still stood, but even so, some hobbit-holes had been collapsed. The only undamaged buildings were a large hobbit hole at the end of one road, and a tavern whose sign boasted it as the 'Green Dragon'. Before the others knew it, Legolas and Gimli were charging into the little village, calling out names.

"Merry! Pippin!" Legolas cried.

"Samwise!" Gimli roared. Soon, the doors of the Green Dragon opened up, previously barred, and there appeared three filth-covered hobbits. Inside, there were more, holed up and hidden from the outside world in the confines of the tavern. The largest of the three hobbits came running out, meeting Legolas and Gimli, who both jumped off their horses to hug the small man. The two smaller hobbits came running to hug them too, not worried about manly shows of emotionlessness.

"I'm so glad you're safe..." Legolas knelt before them. "Sam... what happened here?"

The largest hobbit, none other than Samwise Gamgee the Brave, looked his old friend in the eye and told him, "'Orrible creatures, Legolas, black things, all of 'em, all different shapes 'n' sizes, came 'n' attacked us. They killed all sorts of us, even killed the good men who came t'help us."

"Who were those men?"

"I don't righly recall all their names, but I remember their Captain, Oswyn. Said 'is brother Uther'd be comin' t'help us too..."

Hearing all this, Uther had gone very pale.

Eruve noticed the smoke plume in the sky as they neared the Shire. Her heart sank as they drew closer and saw that it have been attacked already. She watched Legolas and Gimli rush ahead calling out the names of their past companions. She stopped by them as Samwise approached, telling them what happened. She drew in a silent breath at the news and looked to Uther, who was looking ghostly. "Uther," she said softly, not really expecting him to respond, but wanted to see if he was in shock or not. She looked down at the hobbit called Samewise, "How long ago did the attack happen?"

"Just yesterday. We've been 'oled up in 'ere since. Hobbiton was attacked a long while ago, we 'eard they sent a poor ol' 'obbit's ear to the King. We tried t'be ready, but th'only people 'ere with any experience ain't got much t'start with."

"Master Samwise..." Uther said quietly, "Oswyn... do you know where he fell?'

"Well... I ain't dead sure if 'e really did die, but I think 'e did." At that, Uther's face regained color. "The Captain an' 'is men were camped just north o'here." Uther looked to the others, and Gimli gave him a nod, letting him go, and Uther was gone like a bolt.

"Lady Eruve, go with him in case any of those creatures are still around," Legolas told her gently. The rest tended to the hobbits and gathered what information they could.

Uther charged to the northern edge of the Shire's vast fields, finding a destroyed camp. There were wounded and exhausted horses wandering about, many of them Rohan-bred. Uther leapt from his mount's back. "Oswyn! Brother!"

"Lieutenant?" A man appeared from a ripped-up tent.

"Corinn?" Uther came to the man and took him by the hand in greeting, pulling him into a careful hug when he saw the man was hurt.

"Sir... You have no idea how glad I am to see you..."

"Corinn... are there any others? Is my brother here?"

"He is, along with about twenty of our men. The Captain's off hunting with three men to feed the rest of us. We're all set up in the tents you still see standing."

"Good... go, rest, my friend."

"Sir... did you see the hobbits anywhere?"

"Yes, I did."

"They're okay?"

"Most of them. They're holed up in the tavern."

"Thank the gods," the man sighed in relief, saluted, and returned to his tent. Uther turned back to see Eruve, and he gave her a slight smile.

"It looks like Oswyn's held."

Back