The King and his Thief (Closed for cnuvenu)

William, Brooks and the two fairies wound their way through the lightly cleared paths through the woods until they finally located Emma and the rest. As he approached who assumed to be the Prince he extended his hand to greet him.

"I'm King William and I assume you're Prince Arthur." he said warmly as they shook hands.

Standing in the woods seemed like an inappropriate place to have what William assumed may be an in depth conversation with the Prince and his entourage so he invited them back to the camp they'd just finished setting up. As they walked William began to explain the reason for their visit to this remote location.

"This land is technically part of my kingdom and we had reason to believe it would be of more interest to us then we'd previously thought. We had no prior knowledge of your presence here."

As they made it to the camp and spoke William came to learn that Arthur and his clan had indeed inhabited the land for many years since they'd been driven away from their previous home by encroaching humans. William suspected he might be talking about the contested lands he'd just come to an agreement on with the Thaines just days prior.

"We're certainly willing to respect your sovereignty here but we do have an interest in certain mineral deposits that appear to be located in this land." William said trying to be as transparent as possible.

"I assume you're speaking of the gold that the land is rich with." Arthur said knowing how human's valued it. "We really have little use for it but the operations to mine it are typically a disaster for my people. If we can work out a way to minimize the impact, I'm sure we can come to an agreement."

William considered it for a moment then agreed. "We'll make sure to do that if we decide to proceed with anything here."

Content they'd reached a mutual understanding the Prince excused himself and asked Emma to take a walk with him. William thought it odd but didn't protest. As they wandered into the woods the Prince began to speak.

"Tell me about your lineage." he said probing to find out what she might know.

Emma was quiet during the time William and the Prince spoke. Walking behind the two knights and the three female fae.

When asked to go for a walk she was curious if it was because of the note in the books regarding Swansong.

Moving off with the Prince she kept alert and heard his question. "Only what I learned in the books. Something about my lineage possibly dating back to the fae of the lands where Queen Thaines Father ruled."

After speaking it, "My Father if he knew kept it to himself. He died when I was twelve. I grew up in a different path completely." She admitted.

"I'm aware compared to most there's a certain delicate build to me, and there are few with my exact auburn shade of hair. That men find me appealing." There's a look to him.

"Because you asked I assume you know more?"

“I can certainly see why men find you appealing.” The Prince said as he unashamedly scanned Emma’s figure.

“I can’t say I KNOW more right now but I have my suspicions. There was a Swansong that took up with a human and produced offspring.” He continued as the continued to walk. “Based on the timing it might have been your father. Do you know how old he’d be now if he were still alive?” He asked trying to see if the timeline at least fit his recollection of between 50 and 60 years.

"Well it'd have been of mixed blood. Not entirely human. My father didn't look that old. But his age would be somewhere in the records at My Kings castle, unless it's something kinsley or Brooke's knows. They might." Emma looking thoughtful. Emma herself looked to perhaps have some of those ageless properties to her.

Moving quietly along with him and such she kept quietly looking to him. "Is it ... good or bad, if I'm potentially that Faes grandchild?"

The Prince waved off Emma’s question of whether it was good or bad if she was a descendent of a Fae father. “It’s really of little concern to me. I would think it of more concern to you to know where you may have come from.” Even though he knew it would be helpful that her connection would ease their relations he wasn’t going to admit it.

in the end, whether she knew her father’s age or not was going to be inconclusive. There was only one real way. “We have an elder who will know for sure, if you’d accompany me to our colony. She’d has the gift of seeing and will know for sure.”

“If you are who I think you are, you can meet your kin folk and come to know a part of where you come from. Do you think your king would allow you to go with me us to find out?”

Looked into those eyes at times as they walked along. She shrugged a little. "The only kin-folk I had after my Father's death was simply those who preyed on my newly dumped into the street status. A once daughter of a Knight, reduced to begging and stealing."

Those lush lips of Emma's pursed together then. "Fortunately I proved very good at it, and made my way out from under any thumb." A pause then.

"I've no idea if the King would, or would not." This perhaps gave the unmeant impression she might just mean something to William. She did, not that either admitted it in words. He meant something to her, also. Not that Emma expected anything more than sex to occur.

"I doubt any lost apparent Kin of mine would want a diluted quarter-breed as Kin-proper. Mixed breeds of any race generally aren't looked on fondly. I'm aware of that much holding in all other races." Stopping then, she stepped in front of him. All boldness in the fact she did it at all. "Does it hold true with the Fae?"

Emma had a point about mixed race people having challenges being accepted but since his clan had to flee their previous home there was a growing realization that the times where they could live without having to interact with humans were coming to an end. More and more the humans were encroaching on their woodlands and it was becoming clear that they either learned to live with them or face extinction.

“That may have been true in the past but there is a growing desire to form closer ties with humans. In our minds it’s and existential necessity. Having someone that is partly one of us helping to make this happen would be of great benefit.”

He’d hoped that’d be the case at least. It made sense to him that if she was at least partially one of them she’d be a strong advocate. It didn’t hurt that she was particularly easy on the eyes also. He’d never found himself drawn to desire the company of a human but Emma seemed to be an exception in this regard.

"Would me going with you, be the start of this, partnership of sorts?" Emma found herself asked as she looked up into his face.

"The King, he's a good person. You'll learn that. He wants this to work. For everyone's benefit. Not just his own." Or that's how it had seemed to her.

So she waited then to find out Arthur's answer to her.

The Prince stopped on the path as Emma spoke then started back toward the camp before responding.

"I'm hopeful that it would the first step of many that would move us forward." the Prince said thoughtfully "Based on my conversation with him he does seem like a man that values fairness so I'm optimistic."

As they returned to the camp they made their way over to where the rest had gathered. By the looks of it Melody, Nora and Petal were getting along quite well with the men and they giggled cutely as Kinsley regaled them with a story.

Pulling William aside the Prince began to explain his proposal. "I was wondering if you'd mind Emma accompanying me to our colony tonight. There is someone there that I think can shed some light on her family history. It's not a long journey back but light will be fading soon and we'd likely return in the morning. I'm sure they wouldn't mind keeping you company while we're gone" he said motioning towards the fairies hanging on each of Kinsley's words.

William thought for a moment then looked to Emma "If it's something you're comfortable with, it's fine with me."

Emmaline truly considered it. Given she knew why the Prince wanted her to go with him, she nodded, after a moment. "I think I am comfortable with it. In any case. I can handle it." She smiled to William.

Looking to the Prince. "Give me a moment to pack a few things. So I have my stuff." As she left and repacked that backpack she'd used with William. Including a change of clothes, and a nightshirt. With her feminine bits and such in it.

Did William duck in and speak with her while she was doing it? Or. Did she end up out there without a visit of her King?

As Emma went in to pull some things together William followed her in. “He seems harmless enough but keep an eye on him ok? I know you can handle yourself just fine though. “

He gave her a quick hug then looked at her even more earnestly. “I do hope he’s able to shed some light on any questions you might have about your family.”

As the Prince and Emma set off Arthur looked over at her. “He really does value you quote a bit doesn’t he? He’s a smart man.”

They walked for a while more chatting before he stopped abruptly.

“I wonder if I’d be able to fly with you. Never really tried with a human. ,Let’s give it a try.” He said turning toward her.

“Just wrap your arms around my neck and as we take off your legs around mine. We won’t go to high.” He didn’t quite know if it’d work but he’d at least enjoy her body pressed to his as they tried.

With her arms around his neck he extended his wings and the began to rapidly flutter as their feet lifted off the ground.

“Guess I can. “ he said as they began to wind their way down the path a few meters off the ground.

He'd find while a quarter breed she wasn't the full weight a human female would be. That petite form is built more for elegance and speed, than strength. Not that Emma was weak, the training she'd put her body through to survive had enabled her to handle the fights she might get into.

With her arms up about his neck, then her legs up about his waist. He'd feel her tucking her head to his shoulder, out of the way of those wings. Keeping quiet to allow him to simply concentrate on flying them there, if that seemed to be his wish.

Now flying they were making much better time. As they cleared the wooded path they'd been traveling they exited into a field of wildflowers. Arthur ascended then did a half barrel roll allowing Emma to see the ground below them and relax her arms and legs for a while.

"It's not much further." he said as he swooped down taking them just over a heard of deer grazing in the field.

As they approached the next tree line other fairies could be seen flying in and out of the trees. Arthur ascended again to above the tree canopies where Emma would see their homes starting to pepper the treetops as they passed by.

Arthur came to a stop fluttering just above a walkway connecting multiple trees then descended straight down until their feet touched down on the wooden planks.

"Here we are." he said as Emma released his neck and looked around.

Emmaline released her legs, then arms from about him. Feet touching those wooden planks underfoot before she stepped back. Blushed for a second, then turned looking about slowly.

She took in the homes scattered in the treetops. Marvelling at the way they'd literally incorporated the tree into the houses built. Honestly, it awed Emma to see it. That much might be obvious as she had that, adorable, slightly opened-mouth expression of awe, happening.

"This is, really pretty.." Pretty, perhaps didn't covey the level of WOW factor it had in Emma's mind. But the way her face had lit up, and those eyes had widened. Maybe that came close.

Finally, she tore herself from looking at it to looking at the Prince. "Thank you, Prince Arthur, for bringing me here."

Arthur could tell Emma was somewhat awestruck at the sight of the colony.

"You're quite welcome. Allow me to show you around." he said taking her hand and leading her down the walkway. "You're actually the first human to be here." he continued stating a fact that she was sure to have been able to determine on her own as she noticed the gawking looks of every fae they passed.

As they walked along the interconnected pathways between the trees he pointed out the communal areas and homes seemingly built into the trees as if the trees had grown to specifically accommodate them. "We've found living amongst the trees far safer for us these days. Our previous home was far too vulnerable to passers by."

Finally coming to the door of a home situated in the furthest outreaches of the network of pathways "Allow me to introduce you to the one we came here to see." he said as he opened the door.

"Madam Windsong?" he called out as they entered the dimly lit room.

"Oh Arthur, nice of you to visit." the old woman said as she stepped closer. She was a notably older woman with silver hair. Her colorful dress seemed to shimmer as the light from the doorway hit it. "And let's see who you've brought with you." she said as she stepped in front of Emma taking her hands and looked into her eyes. "Oh, I see." she said after a few seconds. "Come let's talk."

Madam Windsong led Emma back to sit at a round table and offered her a chair. "You're quite the novelty my dear." she continued as she took a seat across the table from her. "You are indeed a part of us. The Swansong family has been notable in our clan tracing back for a very, very long time. Your grandfather was indeed one of them but sadly was one of the casualties of the events that forced us from our previous home. You have many of your line among us though."

She paused for a moment then looked at Emma with a questioning look. "I'm sure this is a lot to take in. Do you have anything you'd like to know?"

In this place, Emma's vivid green eyes beheld a glow within them. With her hands taken, she allowed that touch and looked into the eyes of the Fae before her. Allowing herself to be led along she moves easily along with a sense of grace, her natural quiet was more her thief skill coming to the forefront.

".. so it's because he bedded a human, and .... what? He abandoned her? Did he abandon you all also?" Emma took a breath and closed her eyes a moment recalling the few things said.

"He said, his mother was alone. Sacrificed everything to raise him and get him pledged into Knighthood training. That it wasn't long after that began when he was ten, she died." Those vivid green eyes opened then.

"There's never really been a mention of a Grandfather. Until Your Prince Arthur, hinted that way." She looks to Arthur and then if he's with them and exhales slowly.

"It is a lot to take in. But I already had a hint that my lineage might not just be human. Because of the documents of the Kingdom of Thaines. Where, I'm guessing you all were originally and got chased out by the barbarian's and the like. Since that's what happened to the humans there." As she then looks between the two.

The woman frowned as she thought about the whole affair. “The way I remember it he was forced by the elders to cut off contact with her when it was leaned she was with child. He was always a bit of a cad but consorting with humans just wasn’t done back then so they put a stop to it.”

She was surprised how much Emma had known about their exile from the Thaine’s kingdom. “Yes, it was a terrible time and we lost many unfortunately. We’ve found out new home here though and we’re hopeful it lasts.” She said before turning to Arthur. “Hopefully he’s seeing to that.

“I’m doing my best ma’am.” He said feeing the weight of her expectations heavy on him. “Hopefully Emma here will be instrumental in helping too.”

Emmaline exhaled then. "My King's people keep very excellent records. They've been close to the Thaines since My King's Father reigned. The two older men got along very well since youth I believe. So the Thaines business, well King Thaines' wife's history. Was documented enough to know the names of those instrumental in it. Swansong was mentioned in it."

Looking at Prince Arthur, she smiles a little, then back to Windsong, "King Braxton, wouldn't want you all lost. He didn't know you'd fled there to here. He believed with what I learned in the Archives that perhaps you'd all been captured."

Emma herself and William both were pleased to know the Fae hadn't, and that they'd found somewhere to go to. That it had ended up being William's lands was fortunate perhaps for them. More so with Emma a quarter-breed of them, and a Dame.

"I've recently been made a Dame, it's well the equivalent of the King's Knights. But, only men can be Knights. Women, end up Dames. I actually, believe I'm the only Dame in the whole Kingdom." At least given all her time in the records she'd not seen such a thing mentioned anywhere there.

"But it makes me Noble, which gives my word weight." A pause. She had no idea how to explain that the King felt her words carried more weight than most, due to how trust had developed between them. A lariat and it's subjugation properties. She had no idea what her somewhat kin may think of it developing slowly that way over the months it had.

Arthur was indeed heartened by Emma's optimism about King Braxton and how he might respect their claim to the land. That she happened to be someone the King was so fond of was quite a stroke of luck he thought to himself as she explained her position within his realm.

"Thank you for your time Madam Windsong" Arthur said not wanting to keep her any longer.

Taking Emma by the hand he led her out of the elder's home and back down the pathways.

"I'll arranged a feast for this evening including your kin." he said as they made their way along the pathway. "Though they're distant relations it might be nice for you to meet them. Would you be more comfortable in something that stood out a little less?' he asked looking over her outfit. There was certainly nothing wrong with it and she looked stunning in it but he thought she might feel less conspicuous in something more traditionally fae. "I could take you to our seamstress who I'm sure would have something you'd like."

Emma allowed her hand to be taken and led along there was a soft exhale from her as she finally looked at Arthur for a moment. "I'm alright with eyes being on me. The fact I don't have the wings, or ears, or whatever else. It already makes me stand out a mile. Not to forget I'm an unfamiliar face. I wouldn't want to add insult to injury, per se, by making them think I'm trying to play at something I'm not."

She shifts her hand on the grip of the backpack on her shoulder. "Are dresses here typically longer or shorter? I've got something of both. I'd rather they saw me as I am. After all, if they're to grow used to humanity, wouldn't it be wise to let them see me in more human dress, so they know what to expect of at least the females of my kind?"

Allowing him a moment to consider her words, before she added. "I do, however, need to know where you are willing to let me sleep tonight. So, I might put my backpack there?"

“yes, that makes sense” Arthur said as Emma declined his offer. She wasn’t wrong and he didn’t have any concerns either way.

“Dresses tend to be shorter. Less to get caught on limbs and such as we move about. That did seem to be the rationale that was always used and he never really questioned it since he enjoys the look of shorter dresses.

“Yes, let’s get you settled.” He said as they continued down the path. “My residence has a spare room for visitors so you can use that. It should provide you all the privacy you require.”

Finally they came to his home. It was larger than most and was built between two trees instead of being built around one like most of them. Leading her in Arthur showed Emma to the spare room and left her to get settled while he set out a basket of fruit in case she was hungry when she came out.

Within that room, she sought to get out of those trousers and shirt. She took a moment to put on new panties, and a white short lacy dress with flowing sleeves of lace trim.

Running hands up through her auburn hair and breathing out. She left that bedroom seeking to find Prince Arthur. She wore her usual boots with that oh-so-short dress. It's length drifting to barely mid-thigh.

When she found him she gave a little twirl about. "Better than my other clothes yes?" Flashing him a charismatic smile.

“It’s quite nice.” Arthur said taking in her toned legs amply exposed by that short dress. He did very little to hide his appreciation of her form

“I have some fresh fruit if you need a bite.” He said motioning to the basket he’d set on the table.

A knock came at his door before it slowly swung open and a thin fairy with bright blue eyes that matched her hair stepped in. She gave Emma a disapproving look before turning to the Prince. “Any arrangements that need to be made for this evening?” She asked.

“Yes Fawn. please arrange a dinner with the Swansongs. This is Emma Swansong and she’d like to meet them.”

Fawn took a step toward Emma and shook her hand “nice to meet you.” She said curtly before shooting Arthur a look then leaving.

“Pay no attention to her.” Arthur said noting Fawn’s cold greeting. “She can be a little jealous.”

Emma was snacking on a few grapes as Fawn entered and spoke with Arthur, then she looked at Fawn and moved to shake her hand. Emma shook it firmly, that hand with its callouses from all her thief activities and such. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Fawn."

After the prickly blue-haired and-eyed Fae left. Emma looked to Arthur. "Since you'd rather we be truthful with each other, Prince Arthur. I'm curious, what do you think of me? And will others look to me in such a way? Or... does she just have this idea, that she'd rather be with you... than letting some quarter-breed near you?"

Another grape popped into her mouth and she ate it slowly. "Or am I misspeaking and she's someone important to you?"

Arthur shook his head in disgust at Fawn’s behavior. “I can assure you it has nothing to do with your breeding. She treats anyone she believes I’m interested in with the same distain. She can’t seem to grasp that her and I are not meant to be. I don’t think you’ll have others treating you the same way.”

He avoided, for a moment, her initial question because he himself was still coming to grips with it. Ultimately he decided to answer.

“As for what I think about you? I find myself incredibly drawn to you. Someone of your beauty and intellect is something I’ve never come across before. I’m sorry if that’s too forward.”

He’d intentionally left out any qualification related to Emma’s breeding. Indeed he would have never considered being this drawn to a human before.

Back