The Construction Thread

Hey, I see a pepsi bottle in one picture and a coke bottle in the other. You have to choose!
Choose wisely grasshopper.

When I do drink either one, I drink Coke. I think the pepsi bottle was from a party or something.

Of course, if you people had a civilised welfare system, the whole workman's comp thing would be moot.

I'm proud of this job. It looks beautiful with the new cedar shakes,
The St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church was built in 1894.

StNicholas.jpg

i10719_1169015124l.jpg

StNicholasDay071.JPG

On another site, a restaurant, the plumbers forgot to sweat a copper connection in the ceiling. Inpsection had passed, everything was ok.

On the restaurant opening day after a few hours of operation one of the ceiling tiles fell down, soaked with water from the leak in the kitchen.

Luckily no customers saw it.

lol

I'm proud of this job. It looks beautiful with the new cedar shakes,
The St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church was built in 1894.

StNicholas.jpg

i10719_1169015124l.jpg

StNicholasDay071.JPG

Very nice :)

That being said, I ahve done enough roof jobs to say. There is not enough money in the world to get my ass on another roof, ever again.

Of course, if you people had a civilised welfare system, the whole workman's comp thing would be moot.

So who covers the brunt of the cost of medical expenses for work-related injuries in the UK? Here, it's the contractor.

A story I was told when I was in the building game:

A bunch of builders knock at the door of a house and do the usual, "we were working next door and noticed your chimney stack is in a really bad way..."
A deal is done and the boys go up on the roof. A couple of hours later the boys come down and proclaim job done to the old lady living there. She comes out, looks up, and sees a beautiful brand new chimney stack. She happily pays over the five hundred quid.
The next day, it rains. And the brick effect wallpaper wrapped round the stack peels off and falls into the garden.

What if it were your hole?

WTF? Cat got your tongue?

Your question was how could a person not vote their paycheck. I get it.

There were very few openly homosexuals in my local, if any. There were a number of religious, gun rights, pro life people that were conflicted by how the Union wanted the membership to vote. Some took steps to keep the Local's political funds away from the Dems.

I saw how badly the open Republicans were treated by the Brothers. Not pretty. :) I cannot confirm or deny that I added my two cents to that fight. Having everybody vote the same way is nice for the organization, but some things in life are more important than a job. I leave it to each person to decide where that line is drawn.

Excellent. What do you think about concrete vs. steel? Are your projects union or non-union or both? What's the tallest building you've designed?

If you have concrete then you need steel. Concrete is easier to design with becasue you can do almost anything but steel is easier to build with.

I don't have any control over contractors other than oversight on the job itself so union/nonunion isn't part of what I do.

The tallest building I've done was an 8 storey and was 92' tall. Most of what I do is around 2-3 storey/approx. 30-40' tall.

How much do you want to spend? There is little reason to use metal studs unless you're protecting yourself from a hurricane or something. It's a terrible cost for little gain.

Really? I always wonered why so many commercial projects use metal.

One thing, it does make it easier to run wires and pipe through the walls.

Really? I always wonered why so many commercial projects use metal.

One thing, it does make it easier to run wires and pipe through the walls.

It can be code in some places and there can be structural reasons in others. A factory might require metal for several reasons and an office more than a couple stories will most likely require metal. That's exterior though. Interior rarely matters.

It can be code in some places and there can be structural reasons in others. A factory might require metal for several reasons and an office more than a couple stories will most likely require metal. That's exterior though. Interior rarely matters.

Right, I meant interior for office space in a retrofit/remodel for an old masonry building.

Is there a fire load difference?

I'm suprised you remembered me, and that I'm non-union (anti-union might be more accurate) Stil I have a few good pix I might some time to share.

Right, I meant interior for office space in a retrofit/remodel for an old masonry building.

Depends on the masonry. If it's all over and there's no way around it then metal is probably better because you can secure it easier to concrete than you can wood. Wood and conrete just don't mix very well.

WTF? Cat got your tongue?

Your question was how could a person not vote their paycheck. I get it.

There were very few openly homosexuals in my local, if any. There were a number of religious, gun rights, pro life people that were conflicted by how the Union wanted the membership to vote. Some took steps to keep the Local's political funds away from the Dems.

I saw how badly the open Republicans were treated by the Brothers. Not pretty. :) I cannot confirm or deny that I added my two cents to that fight. Having everybody vote the same way is nice for the organization, but some things in life are more important than a job. I leave it to each person to decide where that line is drawn.

For some reason, the "gay rights" part of that screed in my mag caught my eye, more than the other issues. Probably that's just because I'm skewed towards noticing issues connected to perversity.

There's a powerful tension in Union politics between the economic left (most of us) and the social right (again most of us, arguably).

I guess I see ironworkers as libertarians,at best. So a pro-NRA vote doesn't really bother me. Anti-gay sticks in the throat, but I know it makes sense. Homophobia is rampant.

Depends on the masonry. If it's all over and there's no way around it then metal is probably better because you can secure it easier to concrete than you can wood. Wood and conrete just don't mix very well.

That makes sense. I've also seen it with concrete block in new construction, and in things like fast food restaurants.

It's just funny seeing carpenters with tin snips and battery drills instead of hammers.

lol

Back