The Chosen

Bart almost smiled, shaking his head. "Such a delicate flower." "But, I appreciate the honesty." She was always that, for all her faults and psychoses. You knew exactly where you stood with Eva. Useful, huh? "So what use do I have?" "I left HQ without permission, a plan, and took a lot of gear with me." "Even without that nasty little truth that's swishing around in your pocket, I can't believe I haven't been classified as maverick or renegade."

In another part of the city, two young people strolling through the streets like this might be looked at oddly, but not here. This was a historical, gentrified part of town, and people often came here to walk the brick streets and sidewalks. They might have been any other young couple admiring the old buildings and peaceful atmosphere, but for the distasteful expressions of their faces. "There's no going back for me, not where the Brotherhood's concerned." "And I wouldn't go back if there was." "When you DO tell them, and we both know you will at some point, I'm not going to be in the middle of the lion's den." "I already told you I"m not going to interfere in the Brotherhood's work, and I'll kill that gunfighting leech when I get the chance." "What else can there be between us?" "'Cause I don't see it."

Back