The Boomerang Kid

grdybiwife

Enhancer of reality
The Boomerang Kid (CLOSED)

It was the second worse day of Carmen McHale's life, the first being the day her mother told her of her father's untimely death. A heart attack at his pick up basketball game, the game he played with his college buddies every week for all her life. She was 12 then, it had been 10 years since that awful afternoon and she felt almost just as bad as she had then. Though the emotions were different now. She wasn't sad anymore, now she was just angry. And tired. She worked so hard the last eight years of her life to make something of herself. To make her father proud. He had always told her that college had made him a better man. It was where he met her mother and found his calling. How one could say accounting was his calling Carmen was never sure but Benjamin McHale loved his career and was good at it. She never wanted for anything while he was alive, or after his death. Her working her way through school wasn't to help foot the bill. A practical girl, Carmen knew that she would need more experience than books could give her.

The last an unpaid internship at start-up e-mag that she hoped to parley into a paying gig but they cared very little for her fresh journalism degree, or her minor in political science. "We simply don't have room," the editor told Carmen on her last day, a week before her graduation. Sullen, Carmen delivered the news to her mother over the phone that night, but she was ecstatic. Her usual disposition these days.

"I know this wasn't in that 12-point plan of yours but maybe it's a blessing," Geraldine Mchale-Reynolds, or Gerry as she preferred, told her daughter as they made they're way back to the new home she made with her new husband in her new vintage pickup truck. "I always said you work too hard for too be so young. Just like your father," she added with a smile as she reached to right a wayward curl on her daughters head. Of course Carmen swatted her hand away, as she always had, but the action only made her smile. "I talked to Lance about it and we both think maybe it would do you good to take some time off. Enjoy the world. Back pack across Europe. Join the peace corp. Get into a little trouble. Just don't rush off to find a job so soon. I know you Carmen, you are my daughter and I love you dearly but you are your father's child. This is only a failure if you make it one and I pray you don't. Promise me Carmen that you'll make the best of this moment," she said as she pulled into the driveway of the little seaside bungalow where she made her new life.

Carmen rolled her eyes and made to get out but her mother reached across her to throw the lock. That made Carmen smile and let out a long breath. A breath she seemed to be holding since she walked across that stage to accept the degree she now thought of as a useless piece of paper. "Fine Mom I promise," she said shaking her head.

"Great. Now promise you'll come to yoga with me today," she asked and again Carmen rolled her eyes. "Come on it'll be fun. Let go some of the 20-something angst you holding onto. What could it hurt?"

She had to agree with her mother, and besides, what else did she have to do. All her belongings had already been shipped, and knowing her mother, they had already been unpacked and arranged in her new bedroom. It wasn't often that she appreciated her mother's new age logic but at the moment she couldn't deny it. "Alright, alright I'll do it but stop looking at me like that."

"Can't help it baby girl. I'm just glad to see you," she said as they got out of the truck. They each grabbed a back from the flat bed and Gerry slung her arm around her daughter's shoulders, kissed her head as she lead her inside. "This is going to be great Carmen, you'll see."

Carmen could only hope.

Last edited:
Lance Reynolds heard the sound the Gerry's truck from half a block away. It wasn't that the truck was noisy, Lance had made sure of that, but he'd rebuilt the engine by hand. He knew the timing of on that truck like he knew what his single malt scotch should taste like so when the tell-tale cadence started to resonate through the windows he couldn't help but look out and wait.

He'd gotten a call from his shop about a guy with a 1972 Chevelle. No one that worked for Lance would even dare try to give a shop estimate so things were on hold until he could get there, but Lance wasn't about to just leave a note for Gerry and ride off on his 1955 Triumph. She always said seeing him rev up that engine got her engine going and he was a man who believed foreplay should always start when the sun is still up.

When the two women started to get out of the truck he gave Carmen a curious look over. She seemed physically younger, probably a decade between them, but she walked like a woman who had a chill down her back. At least she didn't look like trouble - which was a good thing. If she'd been anything like her mom, he probably wouldn't have agreed to let her stay fearing the house would burn down.

Walking out he headed for Gerry, barely giving Carmen a follow up glance. "Hey, babe." He put a hand around her waist and pulled her into a short, but heated kiss. "Guys need me down at the shop for a bit. You need me to pick up anything?"

When Gerry couldn't think of anything she quickly introduced Carmen.

Lance turned to the woman, giving her a platonic smile and offering a hand. "Nice to meet you. You're room is actually upstairs and down the hall from the bathroom." He'd convinced Gerry that making the study Carmen's bedroom would be a bad idea as that put her almost above THEIR bedroom and he had no intention of behaving himself just because Gerry's daughter was around.

"If you guys need anything, text me." He gave Gerry a quick peck this time. Then slapped her rear playfully and laughed. "Be good, ladies." He winked to Gerry and walked to his bike. First went the sunglasses, then the key, finally he rose up and drove his body weight down on the bike making it roar to life like a jungle cat being yanked from it's slumber. One final nod to the ladies, and Lance was off to his shop.

They'd only met the one time, just after her graduation but Carmen could tell in that one afternoon that her mother was truly in love with this guy. And he her. Of course the age difference bothered her but when she found that he had his own money and saw the way he looked at her mother, Carmen could be nothing more than happy for her mother.

It had been a long time coming for Gerry, shitty boyfriend after shitty boyfriend. But Lance was different than any man she had ever considered. Aside from being almost 10 years her junior, he was rugged and handy. Wouldn't be caught dead in a suit though he wore them well. And the biggest difference was that he was white. So unlike Carmen's father and she thought that might have been her issue finding love before Lance. She had been looking for someone like her Benji. It took some time but she came to realize that that love was a once in a lifetime type of thing and there was no substituting. She had to find something different and so she found Lance in the most unlikely place.

In line behind her at the food trucks. But she didn't really notice him until she received her order and realized she'd left her wallet at home. Lance offered to pay for it and initially declined but he insisted and she accepted. They had lunch on the curb not too far from the truck and were almost inseparable ever since. They got married on a whim in Vegas not even a ten months later. They didn't even remember the exact date so they celebrated the anniversary of when they moved into the house they now called home.

"Is that always how you greet each other or was that a show for me," Carmen said snidely as she nudged her mother out of her dreamy stare. Jealous wasn't a word she would describe how she felt about what her mother had, envious might even be too harsh but she wished that someday she might find someone who looked at her the way Lance did her mother.

"Every time baby girl so you better get used to it," Gerry told her with a girlish giggle. "Come on let's get you settled," she said as she took hold of Carmen's other bag and led her into the house.

It was a homey place. Nothing like the house she grew up in but Carmen always knew it was her father who was so concerned with appearances. Their house was almost a museum, full of antiques and stiff furniture. Rooms that she wasn't allowed to go in. This was a nice change with big furniture and a generally airy feel. It was definitely boho chic but she didn't mind. Gerry took her immediately to her room and Carmen flooped down on the softest bed she had ever felt. She tried to hide her smile but her mother saw through the feigned indifference , her daughters usual expression.

"Hey maybe we skip yoga today. Just chill out and get some rest. I'll make us some dinner, maybe open a bottle of wine...Have a little girl time until Lance gets back."

"I could really use a nap," Carmen said as she lay back to stare up at the ceiling and her mother chuckled.

"Well have at it babygirl. I'll just be downstairs if you need anything okay." Gerry blew her a kiss as she left, closing the door behind her.

At the garage, Lance parked his bike in a general area to the far side from the office. He hated the office because it had things like phones and invoices. That's why he had Ivy, this waif of a redhead. She was slender, fair skinned, freckled and in her mid 20's. In short - nothing Lance would find attractive.

She'd given up trying to get his attention over a year ago when she realized she could come to work without a bra or panties and get more attention from the staff. Now she wore jeans and loose tops so the men wouldn't hit on her all the time. She sighed, walking from the office, through the employee long, past the locker room and across 6 bays for vehicle repair to meet up with Lance who was already looking at the Chevelle.

Without even glancing at his Ops Manager he asked, "Is this the car?" He put his finger through a rusted out hole in the side fender and lifted the hood on the second try. I could have sworn rust actually had to break loose. "Damn! I'm so sorry, baby. Men need to learn to respect your body for the work of art is it."

Ivy knew he was talking to the car and held out the card. "Mr. Gauge actually drove it in himself. Said he picked it up from a Storage auction."

Lance took the card, looked it over, then pocketed it. Ivy should have either taken on the information or gotten two cards. "Twelve Gauge? Sounds like a rapper." That was good. Anyone in the hip hop community who came to his shop knew about his work and they usually had the money to back it up.

Ivy sighed in frustration, "He WAS. Now he's a music producer with his own LABEL."

Lance closed the hood. "Okay then. What's he wanting us to do." Lance leaned into the window to look at the interior and was surprised to find it mostly in tact. I must have been in the storage locker for decades so at least it was protected from the sun.

"He wants a full restoration. Says he's going to donate it to a charity organization for a high dollar raffle prize so - money is not an object. He wants all original parts."

Lance stopped to actually look at Ivy. "HE said he wanted all original parts."

Ivy nodded, "He said he doesn't care if this thing ends up costing a few million. It's all a tax write off for him in the end."

"Holy shit!" Lance stood up and ran his hands through his hair. Twelve Gauge was dead serious. A job like this would have insane labor costs alone just tracking down original parts that were still good and could be used. "Hell, it might be cheaper and faster to buy another 72 Chevelle and just-" Lance paused. "No. Yeah. Let's do this. Get Domingo to make some calls. We're going to do this right but quickly. I don't want to over charge this guy but budget is at 1.2 million. That should cover parts and labor. We'll get one or two decent Chevelles, strip them for parts and restore this one and ebay what's left."

Ivy nodded, "Okay, but I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to spend more. I mean, it is a tax right off and 2 million for a guy like this is probably less than he makes a month."

Lance shrugged, "They he'll just have to come back with more work for us." He gave Ivy a wink. "Seriously, I'm already padding the books on this. Tell him 1.2 and give us 90 days. I think we can get this done by the end of the month, but I'd rather under promise and over deliver."

Lance clapped his hands together and rubbed them, excited about this new project. "Anything else?" When Ivy shook her head he gave her a thumbs up, "Good. Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to go home and have sex with my wife. Hold my calls."

Lance rushed home, stopping only for two bottles of very expensive wine and one bottle of slightly less expensive scotch. He texted Gerry that was on his way back with good news and arrived moments later.

"Honey, you aren't going to believe the day I had." He kissed her hungrily and put the bottles on the dinning room table, "Where's Carmen?"

"She's upstairs taking a nap. Tired from her trip and all."

"Oh?" Lance smiled, reaching out to hook too fingers in the front Gerry's pants. "Is that so?" He pulled her to him with a wanton look in his eyes. He grinned mischievously and leaned in to kiss her neck then her shoulder. "Is she... a heavy sleeper?"

Carmen rolled over at the sound of thumping coming from somewhere in the house. She reached for a pillow and placed it firmly over her ears. When that wasn't enough she shrugged the blankets over her head too.

It was ridiculous. She hadn't heard noise like this since she moved out of the dorms and to think it was coming from her own mother's bedroom. Her 47-year-old mother. It wasn't as if she didn't know her mother was a sexual being. Carmen had heard her parents once or twice in her life but it was always quiet, as if they were hiding it from her. But this was...well...ridiculous.

"That's it Lance take me...ride me like that sexy bike of yours...that's it baby just like that," she heard her mother moan over and over, accompanied by his rhythmic grunts. She couldn't take much more, so she got up and dug around her purse for her phone. Her earbuds firmly in place, Carmen turned her music up loud and moved to sit in front of the big window. She looked out aimlessly over the beach, anything to distract her from what she knew was going on downstairs.

But eventually even that got boring and against her better judgement she ventured out of her room. In just her tank top and shorts, Carmen made her way quietly to the kitchen. Even if it was weird she didn't want to disturb them, besides she couldn't hear them over the sounds of PortisHead blaring in her ears. Her mother offered her wine but she didn't feel comfortable opening a bottle so she took a chance on the fridge and came up with nothing. It didn't take her long to find the wine fridge, just beneath the wine glasses. Carmen found a bottle of white she didn't much care the variety, and poured herself a glass. All the while her hips swaying to the music in her head.

Lance didn't expect to see Carmen, hips rolling and reminding him so much of her mother, as he moved through the house. From behind he couldn't help but see how much she moved like Gerry making him wonder what his wife would be like 20 years younger - if less experienced.

The things his wife had just done to him had erased all need for sexual desire so he didn't feel aroused by Carmen's little show so much as appreciation of a restored car. The body was nice, she had good timing and she looked like she ran well. Turning away he continued on through the patio door and outside.

Lance was in the mood to celebrate, and he was sure that the ladies might have had an idea on what to eat but Lance wanted to fire up his BBQ Pit. The monstrosity looked like an actual dragon and he opened the front chest of the beast and put in choice wood that he ordered and had shipped from Texas. Once he had the fire going he headed back to the kitchen.

Gerry smiled as she saw her daughter dancing around with her glass of wine and gave a quick glance down to ensure her robe was secure before she crept up behind her to give her ear a flick. Something her daughter always hated and very little had changed through the years.

Carmen whipped around with such intensity that her wine sloshed out of her glass. "What the fuck mom," she shouted as she tore her earbuds from her ears. But Gerry only laughed. Just like old times, minus the profanity of course. She assumed Carmen had picked that up in college because she surely never used such language at home. "I'm sorry but you scared the sh...crap.. outta me," Carmen said, only correcting herself at her mother's raised eye brow and folded arms. She didn't mean to be disrespectful but what the hell.

"Oh cool it girl," Gerry said as she took hold of her daughter's glass and took a deep sip before she took it to refill. "You know for someone in the prime of their life you're wound awfully tight."

"So you've told me," Carmen said with rolled eyes as she took her glass back from her mother. It wasn't the first time she'd heard such a thing, and not only from her mother. It was a common observation even strangers made of Carmen McHale, she had long since stopped being offended by it. That's who she was and probably who she always would be.

"Listen Carmen I just found out I have to go out of town for a few days. Some idiot client of mine crashed his company's server so bad I can't get in remotely. I'd bring you along but it's not like West Virginia is known for it's night life. You'll have more fun here, plus it will give you a chance to get to know Lance a little better." Carmen shrugged at that idea, by the looks of him they had very little in common besides her mother.

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow morning," Gerry said with a frown as she sipped from her glass. "But it should only be a few days. I'll leave my keys so you aren't stuck in the house while I'm gone. It's a nice place but even I get stir crazy sometimes."

"Oh yeah...speaking of him," Carmen said with a nod at Lance fooling around outside with the grill. "He doesn't expect me to call him dad, does he?" Gerry nearly spit her wine at the thought.

Lace entered, Gerry trying to compose herself from something Carmen must have said. He stopped, brow knitted but a hint of a smile on his face. He looked from Gerry to Carmen and back to Gerry.

His eyes couldn't help but travel down his wife's robed body and back up, making him smile even more. "I'm not even going to ask." He said with a wave of his hand. No explanation was needed. "Carmen, you're closest to the fridge can you hand me the steak in the bottom drawer?" The steak in question was almost 4 pounds and took up the entire width of the drawer.

Gerry updated him with the details of her trip and Lance deflated a bit. "Oh, come on, babe! I just landed Twelve Gauge as a client. We're talking about a seven figure restoration. I figured we could celebrate for a few days." He licked his lip and gave Gerry a look that implied he was ready for round two... then remembered Carmen was in the room.

"Ahem. Sorry... Hey, Carmen. Know anything about Twelve Gauge?"

"Only that he hasn't put out anything good since I was in high school but don't tell the rest of America," Carmen said with a snort as she passed Lance the steaks. Her mouth laughed as she made her way over to her husband and slipped her arm around his waist and pulled him in close to her. Carmen heard her giggle as she whispered something in his ear, then punctuated it with a kiss.

"Don't worry I'll make it up to you both when I get back I promise. I'll even see if I can get my hands on some shine for you baby," she said and Carmen found herself blushing at the way she spoke to him. Like she was witnessing something she shouldn't have and she looked away. "Maybe you could spend sometime getting to know your new step-daughter," she added with a smirk and a wink at her daughter who pretended to gag.

"You're the worst Mom," Carmen said with rolled eyes and Gerry shook her head laughing then excused herself to get dressed for dinner.

She felt immediately awkward in the presence of this relative stranger, but her mother was right she probably should make an effort to get to know him. Carmen imagined that he might be around for a while so she should at least try to get along with him.

"So Mom says you own you're own shop...must be cool to be your own boss," she asked him as she leaned on the kitchen counter, spinning her wine glass nervously by the stem.

"Yeah." Lance said, answering both questions at the same time. Turning to Gerry he gave her a kiss then another playful pat on the rear. "Hey, sweetie, why don't you open that nice Italian I got us. Get it breathing and I'll have Carmen help me with the pit."

He picked up some tools, spices and a couple of beers. "Bring your wine." he offered Carmen, then headed out expecting her to follow. Gerry gave Lance her approval when she saw the expensive imports.

Calling out through the kitchen, to the back yard, "Oh! Even the label is in Italian." Which usually meant they didn't expect non-Italians to be opening it. It should be expensive AND good. Unlike stuff they export just, that they wouldn't drink, just to unload it on ignorant Americans.

Lance called back, "Only the best for you, baby!" then laughed and continued to the pit. The big dragon was now breathing smoke and Lance opened up it's rib cage to reveal the part where the meat should go. It was one part art and one part bbq grill. Even if you didn't know anything about BBQ it was clearly this wasn't something you just order from a catalog or pick up at the local Grill Master store.

"Only the best for you, baby!

Carmen smiled at that. For some reason, she knew he meant it. She decided in that moment to let go her reservations about him and use the next few days to really get to know this man her mother loved so much. He may have liked older women but he was much closer to her age than her mother. Being in a new city, she would need a friend to help her find her way around.

"I don't really cook so I'm not sure how much help I'll be," she said honestly as she took a seat on one of the comfy lounge chairs they had on the patio. Carmen tried hard not to think of what they might have done on these chairs before she got here. Instead she watched Lance work the grill, marveling how expertly he maneuvered the meat on the fire. The delicious smell that filled the air almost immediately. "God I love that smell," she mumbled into her glass.

"She I told you Lance," her mother said as she came outside to sit at the bottom of the chair with her daughter. Barefoot, clad in a sports bra and yoga pants Gerry smiled when Carmen didn't shy away from her. She wouldn't offer the information but Gerry could tell Carmen missed her almost as much. "The best way to win over my baby girl is charred meat," she said as she playfully messed Carmen's curly's. That she knew would get a reaction.

"Gosh mom would you stop it," she scoffed and swatted at her retreating hand but she remain in the chair. "And quit it with the baby girl stuff. I'm 22 years old..."

"I don't care how old you are Carmen. Long as I gave birth to you, you'll be my baby girl and don't you forget it. Now drink your wine and enjoy this beautiful day while Lance plays caveman on his second most prized possession." Gerry lay back next to her daughter, wanting so much to be close to her. They hadn't been after Benji passed, Carmen was such a Daddy's girl, and no matter how much she tried there wasn't much Gerry could do to make her daughter happy. Now that she was an adult though she planned to change the dynamics of their relationship just a little. She was a different woman now and she thought maybe, just maybe, Carmen could see her as a friend and not her annoying mom.

"I think that might be the best advice you every gave me Mom," Carmen said with a smirk, then quickly downed her glass. She lay back, her head on her mom's shoulder and looked out over the water. "Thanks mommy," she said quietly and Gerry kissed her head.

"The best way to win over my baby girl is charred meat,"

Lance laughed a bit, closing the dragon's rib cage and joining the ladies. A hand on Gerry's shoulder as he passed by saying, "I thought you were kidding. Everyone these days keeps saying that you should stop eating everything except air and coconut water."

He took a seat near Gerry and gestured with his beer to toast to family and new beginnings.

Dinner itself was rather uneventful, not that it was bad. In fact, the fist bottle of Italian wine was gone before the steaks were ready. And when they were finally served it was almost as if a knife was optional. Lance said he knew how to do three things in life; Fixing cars. Grilling meat. And making Gerry happy.

Once the food was ready, however, people mouths had better things to do than talk. Once the reviews of how good Lance's steaks were, people didn't feel the need to open their mouths unless it was for food. But it was a comfortable silence.

After dinner it was just packing, which wasn't much. Gerry being one who had to travel for work actually kept a bag of carry on ready to go. Lance liked to call her Bug-Out-Bag, saying it was really in case the FBI showed up and she had to slip out the back. But all Gerry really needed to do was put her laptop in it and go. Chargers, a mobile printer and so on, were already in the bag.

"Be right back," Lance told Carmen, "Just going to drop you mom off. Go ahead and finish the wine or pour it out. I never bother re-corking stuff."

Gerry poked her head back in saying, "That was imported from Italy, baby girl, so please do ME a favor and don't let it go to waste."

As the left Lance could be heard saying "Oh, don't pressure the girl."

"Please, she could stand to relax a bit. She works too hard."

It was nearly 2 hours later when Lance would finally return, parking the pick up and locking it up. He paused to examine a blemish on the hood then moved on deciding it wasn't that serious. Walking into the house he looked for Carmen, hoping to get some of the more complicated stuff out of the way early. For starters, he had no intention of being her dad so much as her mom's husband and felt it would cut through a lot of awkward moments to just get that out in the open.

Carmen listened to her mother. There was no way she would simply pour wine down the drain, no matter the price. "Waste not, want not," she said as she drained the bottle into her glass then quickly drained the glass.

She heard her mother's last words to Lance about how she needed to relax. The bottle of wine after a nap and an afternoon in the sun was a great start. A nice hot shower seemed like the best way to end the day. The first day of her now aimless life, she thought with a giggle as she undressed in her new room. A slow smile came to her lips as she slid her closet doors open and saw it very neatly organized. Her mother, the methodical free spirit, had all her things arranged in a very practical fashion. Her plush terry robe hung on a hook beside her linens and towels. T-shirts were folded neatly in a way that if there were a design it was visible and stacked in cube style shelves above a bar where her jeans hung. Even those were arrange by wash. Dress clothes were on the other side and her shoes were lined up in neat little rows on the floor.

Carmen ignored the little voice in her head that told her to move everything around to her own liking. She was sure her mother worked hard to put everything in it's place for her, so why ruin it. Besides she didn't think she could do a better job. She grabbed her robe, a towel, and headed to the luxurious en suite bathroom to find it stocked with all her favorite products. She made a note the call her mother as soon as she got out to tell her how much she appreciated her effort to make her feel welcome. More importantly that she succeeded. Carmen had heard stories about women who forgot their families once they remarried, especially when the new spouse was younger. She was nervous at the thought of them treating her as an intrusion on their new life and thanked her lucky stars that didn't seem at all the case.

Clean and thoroughly relaxed, Carmen lounged naked in her room a while waiting for her hair to air dry before she got dressed again in stretch pants and a yet another tank top. She went without underwear and let her perky c-cups be free of the confines of a bra. Phone in hand she went out to the living room and flopped down on the big comfy sofa to watch a little mindless TV. That's where she was when Lance came back. She heard the truck pull into the driveway and started to retreat to her bedroom. There was a TV there she could watch, but a little voice told her to stay. So she did and waited for him to come in.

"Welcome back Pops," she said with a smirk, only a slight slur in her speech.

Lance froze at the word, held up one finger in surprise and took a long, playful, moment to say "Whoa! Now I know what the Twilight Zone feels like. My older wife makes me feel 10 years younger but her daughter makes me feel 20 years older." he stuck his tounge out at her and went to get his scotch from the dinning room to join her. "Hey, I know you were probably kidding but I really do just want you to think of me as lance. You had a dad. I can't replace him and I won't bother trying. But I am your mom's husband and that's all I need to be." He offered a smile and a scotch salute.

"So, what are we watching?"

Of course she was kidding but his response was perfect enough that she didn't feel the need to agree. Carmen simply smiled and slid over so he could sit on the other end of the sofa with her. She chuckled at his question and hesitated before she answered. Unsure of how honest she should be, her inebriated mind made the decision for her.

"Fast and Loud. I know jack shit about the cars but the Richard Rollins is...mmm...I can't even tell you," she said with a little bit of a giggle. "I guess me and mom have similar tastes...ewww...wait that came out wrong," she said and immediately covered her face.

Lance gave Carmen a glance and a smile knowing what she meant but still finding the humor. “Okay, we can watch that. I don’t mind it.” He changed the channel and sat back with his drink. It was the episode where they find a 65 Impala and Rich wants to flip it.

“Wow! I would have never thought about that. Buying low, flipping and selling high.” He settled back, arm moving over the back of the couch. To anyone who didn’t better it might look like he was trying to slip an arm around Carmen’s shoulder, but he was really just opening himself up to talk to her and watch the TV.

“What he’s doing with this car, is what I specialize in. But I’m not in it for a quick turn around so it takes me longer and costs more. Twelve Gauge brought us this Chevelle and wants it to be rebuilt, all original parts. I can’t just use a part that will work. I’m actually tracking down the original springs, hood, gasket, oil pan, suspension… you name it. It’s going to be a driveable work of art when we’re done.”

Carmen watched Lance speak of his job with a passion she didn't know existed in real life. She had always thought cars were just pretty accesories and not the works of art he described. Even after watching the show for so long she hadn't developed the slightest appreciation for the big hunks of metal.

"Its almost like chasing down leads for a story," she said absently as she lean back to watch. Her hair still wet hair brushed against Lance's arm on the back of the chair but she didn't think much of it. Just settled back to watch the show with him. It wasn't long before she was asking him questions and he answered them with ease and without teasing. Even when the question she asked seemed like a silly one. Though he did tease her every so often about her attraction to Rich, but it was playful and she appreciated that he was comfortable enough to comment.

Eventually she got comfortable enough to steal a sip of his scotch when he set his glass down and gagged a little as it went down. "Gross," she said with a cough. "That's an old man drink if I ever had one."

Lance laughed at Carmen's reaction. "Actually, I'll give that one to you. Yes, it's an old man's drink. But, as I've always said; If your drink is too strong your tongue needs exercise." He laughed again.

"Hey, so what do you do, Carmen? I mean, I know you're between jobs and all. You wouldn't know how to lube a chassis, would you?"

Carmen smirked at his comment about her tongue and shook her head. "I can't deny it's been a while. You wouldn't have any single guys working that might want a date with your hot new step daughter would you," she asked and struck a seductive pose on the couch. But she couldn't hold it long, that wasn't exactly her style. Carmen was more of the girl next door, only she knew what she had. She just didn't feel the need to put all her goodies on display all the time.

"But to answer your question, I always wanted to be a reporter...a journalist really but since nobody reads the news anymore jobs are hard to come by. Mom always said I should find a minor but I just took it as her not believing in me. She just wanted me to be practical...you know my mom," she said with a little smirk but it didn't do well to conceal the sadness in her eyes. "So lube a chassis I can not but I can find almost anything on the internet. The guy I interned with told me I had a knack for fact checking but that's boring as fuck. Who wants make their living clarifying somebody else's half-assed work when I could just do it right myself? But I'm no editor so my opinion is worth shit...In short," she said with a laugh, catching herself midramble. It was a habit of hers when she got emotional. Most girls cried, Carmen rattled on and on until she the fire in her belly cooled. "I have the slightest idea what I'm doing. Mom wants me to take it easy for a little while and I can't say it's such a bad idea."

"You wouldn't have any single guys working that might want a date with your hot new step daughter would you," she asked and struck a seductive pose on the couch.
For the briefest of moments, Lance couldn't help but admire Carmen's body. There were one hundred reasons not to be but in the end he was still a man looking at a beautiful woman. He quickly snuffed that ember before it could turn into anything and looked away, pretending it was to take another sip.

"Oh, I know a few guys at the shop who'd date you in a New York minute. The problem isn't finding a guy, the problem is finding you the RIGHT guy."

He listened to her go on about her dreams and passion. It was nice to see. He was used to soo many women, her age, who had plans and idea but no drive. As if they were supposed to follow some pre-drawn plan and things would just magically happen. Or, they assumed someone would come alone and take care of them because they were pretty.

Carmen had drive, and she had conviction. Lance didn't know how, but in that moment he decided he needed to help her achieve her dream. Finally he said, "You know, sometimes the best plan you can make is to just listen for opportunity to knock. I'm sure it will, Carmen. You're one of the special ones. The ones you hear about who had every advantage but ended up at rock-bottom until the perfect job came along. It might not be the one you originally imagined but it's the one that needed YOU the most."

Before she could stop herself, Carmen was diving at Lance, throwing her arms around his neck. She planted a soft kiss on his cheek before she realized how weird such affection might have been but she felt oddly at ease with it. She wasn't embarrassed, though she did blush a little as she pulled away. "That was awfully paternal for someone who isn't looking to be my dad...both parts," she said with a little giggle as she got up. "Well I think that's enough bonding for the night. Maybe tomorrow you could show me around a little...I mean if I'm going to live here I might as well know my way around right?" With that she effected a curtsy and told Lance good night.

She wasn't exactly tired but she wanted to use his advice before it got lost in drunk sleep. Carmen noticed the text from her mother as she sat down to unpack her laptop. Way too many emoji's for someone her age but that didn't make her appreciate the message any less. In short, her mother loved her and hated to have to go away so soon after she moved in. She reiterated her request for Carmen to take it easy and she planned to do just that. She also informed her of the wi-fi password because "Lance will give you a thousand wrong guesses before he admits he doesn't remember it." It was easy enough but maybe that was only because Carmen had more of her mother in her brain than she thought.

It wasn't long before she was online and hard at work. It took her a moment to get back into the research swing but just as the sun was rising Carmen had located two running Chevelle's that looked like shit but she imagined the Lance could chop them up for parts. And if that wouldn't work she found a few listings on Ebay for parts sold seperately. She compiled an itemized list of all the information so Lance wouldn't have to dig around on the internet himself and sent it to be printed in her mother's office. Carmen stapled the pages together and punched a hole through the top to put a paperclip through so she could hang it on the hook with his keys.
Not sure if this will help
Or even if it's what you need
Too late to call
Figured you'd want to check it out yourself
Good Luck,
Carmen​
She scrolled on the chalkboard that hung above the key hooks. There was one of these in her childhood where family messages were left. She imagined that her mother left completely different notes for Lance than she had her and her father when she was little. "Gross," she mumbled with a smirk as she turned away from it and made her way back to bed. She was fast asleep within a few moments of her head hitting the pillow.

Lance sat on the couch and used the TV to check the time. It was almost noon and he had already given Carmen an extra hour of sleep. Finally, he just couldn't wait anymore. Turning off the TV he went up to her room, knocked on the door a few times and said her name, "Carmen?" He knocked again when he didn't hear anything. "Hey, Carmen. I have something for you."

He ducked down and shoved an envelope under the door. In it were 3 $100 bills from the bank. "This is the money I would have spent on one of my guys doing all the work you did, so this is yours... technically."

He sat back, waiting for her to come to the door. His arms folded and a big grin on his face.

The sound of knocking at her door startled Carmen awake. Confused and hung over, she shot out a bed so quickly that she tumbled to the floor before she heard Lance on the other side of her door. The mention of money and the sight of the envelope brought her wits back to her. Carmen squealed as she untucked the flap to see the crisp bills. Ecstatic to have been paid for her a service she'd done for free in her internship, she flung the door open and jumped into him. She didn't care if he caught her as she threw her arms around his neck. The fact that her boyshorts and tank top weren't an appropriate outfit to be wearing as she latched onto her mother's new husband didn't even cross her mind.

"I have earned this much for a few hours work in like...ever," she said with a kiss to his cheek and other squeeze before she dropped her legs to the floor. "Thanks so much Lance but I was just trying to be helpful."

Lance caught Carmen by reflex more than desire. One hand wrapping around her back, another around her waist. Leaning back he laughed a bit at her excitement and put her down when she extended her legs to the floor.

Letting Carmen go, Lance nodded in appreciation. "Well, that's how much I don't have to pay my staff for looking up what you found." He realized his eyes were now traveling from Carmen's toes to her eyes, enjoying to tight youthful body he saw along the way. "I might actually have another project for you. A paying one, in fact. Get dressed and we'll hit this all organic restaurant your mom loves."

He found himself avoiding another glance at her body as he turned to go, "I'll be on the couch." he glanced over his shoulder and gave Carmen a friendly smile. But as he left he realized his pants were a little uncomfortable. He waited until her door was closed so she could get dressed before adjusting the start of an erection.

Damn, he thought to himself, I might have to call Gerry tonight for some phone sex if this keeps up. He opted to send her a text.
Hey, sweetie. Everything's good here. Carmen helped me with the 12 Gauge project. Saved me about a weeks worth of work. Let me know if you have some free time tonight. I'd love to hear your voice. :devil:
He hit send knowing she'd be well aware of the naughty thoughts he was having... of her. Of course her. His WIFE being HER.

If she didn't know better, Carmen would have sworn Lance had just gave her the once over. But she knew better, he was probably just taken by the sight of her so dissolved. Her hair in a mess all over her head. There were probably drool stains on her cheeks. It was probably nothing. But that smile when he looked back at her...no it was nothing. Her mind playing tricks on her from the lack of attention she'd received lately.

She wasn't much into casual hook-ups and her 20 item checklist for potential suitors was near impossible to fulfill. Carmen was a picky girl, most would say stuck up. Others bitchy, but she didn't mind. She knew what she liked and wasn't about to lower her standards for anything less than her ideal mate making her almost perpetually single. It had been a while since she enjoyed anything other than the little toy she kept, and Carmen thought perhaps she should take a little of the edge off in the shower to keep her from imagining anything else from Lance's niceties.

But that's not exactly what happened. As she held the vibrator to her clit, letting the steamy water wash over her head, Carmen allowed her mind to wander. Her spank bank was full of bearded men with hard bodies who looked very much like they worked hard for a living. Like no one she ever attracted given her generally tight assed demeanor but that didn't make her attraction any less intense. Black, white, hispanic. Ethnicity really didn't matter as long as there was scruff on their face and calluses on their hands Carmen was into it.

She bit her lip to keep from moaning too loud as her climax approached and she gripped the wall with her free hand. Her body trembled and knees wobbled as she invisioned herself being bent over the back of a motor cycle being ravaged from behind. It was an exciting sight with her mystery man's pants pulled down just enough to get his cock into her with her sundress pulled up over her ass. He hadn't even bothered to take off her panties, simply pulling them to the side as he gripped her firmly with one hand while the other held her down at her back. Then he grabbed her hair, yanked her up to stand to shove a hand into the front of her panties. That's when she saw his face, just as she came.

It was Lance. The shock of it made her loose her footing on the wet tile and sent her toy hurtling out of the curtain to land in a few pieces on the bathroom floor. She couldn't believe it. Sure he was hot but he was her mother's husband. Her step-dad. She couldn't have a crush on him, could she? She finished her shower with the quickness but found herself taking more time than normal getting dressed. She kept wanting to put on a dress, and even if he didn't know of her fantasy, she didn't to be sending out subliminal messages. Carmen settled on a flouncy floral skirt, not a dress, and v-neck t-shirt. A pair of pink low top sneakers and her hair in a loose messy bun, Carmen swiped on a little lip gloss before she headed out to the living room to find Lance.

"Ready when you are," she said to the back of his head as he sat on the couch flipping channels.

Back