The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 09

Thanks for getting the coffee OC, I've been busy avoiding the ravages of life and PVC plumbing.
While @orangecurious gets the Folgers ready I'll put the tea kettle on and see if there's any scones around here.

Here's an avatar for OC

Prange Bird.jpg

Stopped by a lab on my way to work to get blood drawn. That threw off my normal lunch schedule, so I treated myself to spicy salmon roll for lunch (and a banana).

I finished a phone call while sitting in front of my computer, then took a tour to the kitchen. My screen was blank when I got back, which itself isn't surprising, but I couldn't wake it up. Made me worry about ol' Betsy here. A reboot got everything running again and the startup routines didn't post any warnings, but it still makes me think that if I can't remember when I bought the computer then maybe it,'s time to replace it.

Ole Betsy must be near the end, @NotWise. Might think about looking for a new writing mate.
I finished a phone call while sitting in front of my computer, then took a tour to the kitchen. My screen was blank when I got back, which itself isn't surprising, but I couldn't wake it up. Made me worry about ol' Betsy here. A reboot got everything running again and the startup routines didn't post any warnings, but it still makes me think that if I can't remember when I bought the computer then maybe it,'s time to replace it.

Saw the doctor today and he told me I needed to get my cataracts taken care of. I am so not looking forward to that ...

Saw the doctor today and he told me I needed to get my cataracts taken care of. I am so not looking forward to that ...
My wife had her eyes done last year. It took two surgeries a few weeks apart, but recovery was easy and she has no complaints.

For my part, the doctor looked at my eyes and said, "You've got a little cataract, but not bad for a man in his fifties." Made me laugh, as I haven't been in my fifties for quite a while.

How are things on the cancer front? You seemed pretty depressed the last time it came up.

Ole Betsy must be near the end, @NotWise. Might think about looking for a new writing mate.
I've looked a couple times. I want something a lot smaller and a lot quieter.

Ole' Betsy was originally a media center/home theater that I repurposed when its predecessor decided to reboot itself every few minutes. It was sized to fit in a stereo component cabinet, so it's big. And it also has something like seven fans, so it's also noisy. And all that to run a fast (for its age) single-core AMD processor. I can do a lot better now.

Or I could just work with my laptop. It's a 7000-series Dell Latitude, so its really capable, but I'd need to get docks for it.

Need coffee.
I have a horrible cold, but at least it's a few days off now. I envy you retired lot - if I've got to have the health problems that usually comes with age, why can't I get the perks, too?

Thanks everyone. As far as the cancer front is going, I see my doctor again next month. Hopefully, I'll get a better reading then. I'm calling the ophthalmologist today to make an appointment to see him. I'll admit that my vision seems like I'm looking through a dirty window all of the time, always checking my glasses to see if they're clean.

Cataract replacement - I had one done 5-6 years ago. Not a life changer, but eye doc said it was time. Putting off the other one.

One odd thing I noticed afterwards was sensitivity to UV light. I could "see" UV through the new lens and could not through the other, natural eye. I work around display lighting featuring UV sources and it was disconcerting for a while. Don't do as much these days, but when I do work on something on the displays, I try to make sure the UV lights are off because I can't focus otherwise given the eyes are seeing different information.

Personally I'm going to take an entire day off from complaining about my health. It doesn't seem to help when I do bitch and moan anyhow.
But that's not stopping me from complaining about the VA. Bitching about them actually makes me feel a little better. it's an ego boost to know that you're smarter than an entire government monolith.

Good Java Seadog!

I've looked a couple times. I want something a lot smaller and a lot quieter.

Ole' Betsy was originally a media center/home theater that I repurposed when its predecessor decided to reboot itself every few minutes. It was sized to fit in a stereo component cabinet, so it's big. And it also has something like seven fans, so it's also noisy. And all that to run a fast (for its age) single-core AMD processor. I can do a lot better now.

Or I could just work with my laptop. It's a 7000-series Dell Latitude, so its really capable, but I'd need to get docks for it.
I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 tablet computer for almost everything.

There's a small, hidden port under the flip-out stand which holds a memory chip for a removable storage drive (I have a 128 GB chip in it, just in case the tablet ever dies). I can connect this to other monitors using the USB-C port and still have the regular USB port for a separate mouse.

For anything which requires a high-end graphics card, I have another VR computer, and I installed a host program on that ("Remote Utilities"). With the Remote Utilities Viewer on my tablet, I can remote into the VR computer and run it as if I'm on that other keyboard, seeing that remote desktop in full screen mode on the tablet.

So, for small and quiet, the Surface Pro tablet is the size of a notebook and thinner. The only sound it makes is from my fingers tapping on the thin keyboard.

(BTW, I'm a geek, and computers were a hobby and job.)

I use a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 tablet computer for almost everything.

There's a small, hidden port under the flip-out stand which holds a memory chip for a removable storage drive (I have a 128 GB chip in it, just in case the tablet ever dies). I can connect this to other monitors using the USB-C port and still have the regular USB port for a separate mouse.

For anything which requires a high-end graphics card, I have another VR computer, and I installed a host program on that ("Remote Utilities"). With the Remote Utilities Viewer on my tablet, I can remote into the VR computer and run it as if I'm on that other keyboard, seeing that remote desktop in full screen mode on the tablet.

So, for small and quiet, the Surface Pro tablet is the size of a notebook and thinner. The only sound it makes is from my fingers tapping on the thin keyboard.

(BTW, I'm a geek, and computers were a hobby and job.)
I still have my Surface Pro 3. The world has passed it by but for internet access in a slim, light package, nothing beats it. That hidden port also has a 128GB chip on mine too... My go-to laptop is an MSI Dragon. I always wanted a high-end laptop and I recently stumbled upon some money an got the MSI and I loved it so much I went back to NAS JAX and bought the matching desktop computer

I still have my Surface Pro 3. The world has passed it by but for internet access in a slim, light package, nothing beats it. That hidden port also has a 128GB chip on mine too... My go-to laptop is an MSI Dragon. I always wanted a high-end laptop and I recently stumbled upon some money an got the MSI and I loved it so much I went back to NAS JAX and bought the matching desktop computer
I started with the Surface Pro 3 when it was "state of the art". But I upgraded to the 7, and I've had this one for a LONG time. I might upgrade again in another year or so. But it's still doing everything I need.

My writing computer these days is a 7-year-old MacBook Air I picked-up three years ago to have something for up at our cabin. I used to do most everything on my desktop (a Mac Mini); I definitely prefer the big monitor.

However, C and the dog were complaining about never seeing anything more of me than the back of my head in the office. So the laptop (which I am on right now) comes with into the living room, where we are all in one place. C's on her iPad, dog snuggled-up to her on the sofa, and I'm in the loveseat with the MacBook on a TV tray, relaxing music playing on the Roku. Domestic bliss.

My writing computer these days is a 7-year-old MacBook Air I picked-up three years ago to have something for up at our cabin. I used to do most everything on my desktop (a Mac Mini); I definitely prefer the big monitor.

However, C and the dog were complaining about never seeing anything more of me than the back of my head in the office. So the laptop (which I am on right now) comes with into the living room, where we are all in one place. C's on her iPad, dog snuggled-up to her on the sofa, and I'm in the loveseat with the MacBook on a TV tray, relaxing music playing on the Roku. Domestic bliss.
What app do you use for music on the Roku? I've fallen back in love with Tune In which was one of the first radio apps for Android. It's so hard to find good classical music and Tune In's Sounds of the symphony fills that gap nicely.

Back