The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 09

Dinner was a NY strip steak and roasted potato wedges. Tomorrow it's back to my wife's cooking. That's a good thing, because my repertoire is not as big as hers. I'd bore myself pretty quickly.

at least the main shut off valve is easy to reach.

In our wondrous little town, you will be fined $150 for opening up the main shutoff cover next to the street. It has a pentagonal bolt, and "supposedly" only qualified plumbers are supposed to have the tool. Right. Guy who runs the local plumbing supply knows me from years of renovation projects, and offered me the special wrench a few years ago. Didn't need it, I have a farmer's wrench set with odd sockets that'll do it just fine.

Accessible shutoff is in the middle of all three of our buildings. Technically the only time you would need to shut off at the street is if there's break between the meter and the house shutoff... or you need to replace the house valve. I need to eventually do that at our main house. City wants $50 for authorized turn-offs and turn-ons. So. For an additional $50 I can just do it myself, provided they catch me, which isn't going to happen on a weekend, anyway.

Silliness.

Out here in the wilds there is no house shut off. There's a little plastic box in your lawn, you pop the lid and use a "japanese socket set" (Adjustable wrench) to turn the valve. The fellows from the city showed me that.

Other than the great flood of 24, in the past two days I've written 13k words on my story. I'm really loving this one.

It's been a good weekend for my personal projects which, right now, don't include a story.

Here's something I'm trying to think through. The distribution of votes on our stories tends to follow a geometric sequence fairly closely. A story with a rating near 4.5 and 121 votes would have a distribution from 5* down to 1* close to 81, 27, 9, 3, 1. Each value is 1/3 the previous value. The correlation is so strong that it seems to me like there has to be a reason, but what's the reason?

Mmmm, figs. The problem with figs is that they don't keep.
all the more reason to pick and eat them just as you take them off the tree!! I do so love figs; we had two large trees at the previous residence (6 years ago); these three are small and it will probably be next year before we can pick any (hopefully I will still be around then).

Oh! To be your neighbor at harvesttime would be so nice!
well "I" was done but supervised the grandson with planting the paw paw tree, my Passion vine, two new lantana; he got a drip line to the two blackberry bushes and the potatoes are finally sprouting leaves. Only the blueberries, the lemon, lime and avocado don't (yet) have a drip line; he says that will happen in another week or two.

We are expecting rain Monday (today) until mid afternoon; hoping to paint the top of two TV tray tables and the two small shelves on my two tier iron plant stand; too windy to paint them Sunday. Need to get some of the porch plants up off the floor.

Out here in the wilds there is no house shut off. There's a little plastic box in your lawn, you pop the lid and use a "japanese socket set" (Adjustable wrench) to turn the valve. The fellows from the city showed me that.
We an interesting issue Sunday morning relating to the water supply. Here, most properties have the water shut off valve at the front of the property next to the water meter. It has a handle like a garden tap, and three turns and the house has no water. There was a teenage party down the road, and some of those dang kids went on my lawn and turned the water off! Simple fix. Just annoying.

My house water shut-off valve is on the path in front of the House, located in a hole in the ground. It's easier than the 'internal' tap, located behind the TV !.

I'm getting increasingly peeved with the blokes who 'installed' my new boiler. They made a right mess of the whole thing.

But it's raining; is there any coffee available ?

Thanks for getting the coffee for me OC, the magic pipe fixers never called last night like promised (big surprise) so we're still out of water. Luckily there's a gas station 2 miles away for coffee and other early morning needs. At least my INR was good so the Mayo Clinic will be happy.

Water is back on with just one minor drip that I will repair when it stops raining. I have always liked working with PVC but I always glue the glue can shut and have to go buy another.

Heh. That's why I only buy the smallest can - never know when I'm going to get into it again. Wiping the spout and the cap with a paper towel seems to save me from myself.

I'm usually all about copper, anyway. Learned that skill many moons ago. Buddy is trying to convince me to get on board with PEX, but after the notoriety earned by the previous incarnation of polyethylene pipe and the horrible fittings, I'm still taking a pass.

I love working with copper, but down here everything is PVC. They lay the PVC down before they pour the slab. That's the nice thing about an old house, they're copper (unless they're iron)

Lots of houses had iron pipes when I grew up. Someone was always working on a leak here or there. It seemed perennial. Later in life, I learned it had to do with galvanic corrosion. People moved to all copper fittings, and PVC arrived much later.

When you are young and naive, you hear all kinds of things while growing up as an orphan. I learned running water picked up the iron from the pipes and made your d*ck harder, according to one old-timer working on bad pipes out on the farm. I wondered about that – frequently – every time I woke up. Sometimes, thinking it would 'freeze up' that way.

This house has iron pipes, but they're being gradually replaced -- some with copper, some with PEX.

Lots of houses had iron pipes when I grew up. Someone was always working on a leak here or there. It seemed perennial. Later in life, I learned it had to do with galvanic corrosion. People moved to all copper fittings, and PVC arrived much later.

When you are young and naive, you hear all kinds of things while growing up as an orphan. I learned running water picked up the iron from the pipes and made your d*ck harder, according to one old-timer working on bad pipes out on the farm. I wondered about that – frequently – every time I woke up. Sometimes, thinking it would 'freeze up' that way.
Copper pipes have their own issues.

My wife and I live in a rural area with well water. When she bought the hot tube, we had a tough time keeping the water clear. It turned green. And the more chlorine I added to kill bacteria, the greener the water.

It was copper, leached from the pipes by the alkaline water, which was turning into copper chloride (green compound).

I'm sure that in another 20 years, we'll hear of plenty of problems with the PEX and PVC pipes, including when they crack and burst from the material aging causing all sorts of water damage in houses. At least with iron and copper, pipes just mostly leak when they age and corrode. (They just cause brain and kidney damage with the associated corrosion problems.)

In North Dakota I had copper pipes and I would tape automotive magnetic oil pan heaters to them to warm the pipes in the winter. It was much cheaper than the heat tape you could get and was really effective.

Good Day, all you folks. How's the world treating you? Donnie's off to preschool, and I should be writing, but I'm not. What I am is here with you all. Enjoying a cup of Irish Cream without the jolt. Sigh, I miss Mr. Jameson.

The weather today was very spring-like, which means it alternated between sunny, and horizontal rain/snow.

The cats are feeling spring, too. They're begging for non-stop attention so I'll scratch them and get their shed hairs in my eyes and up my nose.

Back