The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 03: Come On In

Well, we had a load of sunshine this morning, followed quickly by heavy cloud.
Loads of rain; I got very wet ! :mad:
Then a little later we saw the flash and then heard the Bang.
It was impressive, and the guide-rope holding my aerial up perished and so down it came. :(
What with that and my poorly PC, things could improve round here !
:)

Added for Saturday: Yesterday's Thunder was, it seems, the parting shot from North Atlantic Tropical Storm Debby and we are told to stand by for some more hot weather.
Deep Joy.
Any coffee left, please ?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the aerial, HP.

Our temps are cooling (to 84F today) and there are no tropical storms in sight.

Well, we set a record, temperature-wise yesterday. And I had 40 people over for a chase-the-shade surprise birthday party and BBQ for my love. Those two things did not mesh particularly well, but hey, at least it wasn't hailing, yes?

Coffee is indicated.

With all the trees in the yard, I don't have to chase the shade, it chases me.

At the present it is raining. We need a little rain as it has been hit and miss as of late.

Fresh coffee for the, uh, nooner crowd. Where does the day go so fast?

Well, The warmer weather this morning dried some stuff on the line, but this afternoon we had some serious rain and cold.
#
Time for Tea, I reckon

This morning, the weather service gave us no chance of rain today. By noon (after the clouds started building) they changed their mind and gave us a 20% chance this afternoon. It rained. Then they extended the 20% chance through the evening, but no chance tonight. It rained. Then they extended the 20% chance through the night. We'll see.

The Guardian has a new article out that lists the 100 best Sci-Fi flicks, as selected by critics. The all time top Sci-Fi flick? The German silent film Metropolis from 1927. At the time it was the most expensive film ever made.

I saw it about 10 years ago with music written for the revival and performed by a live band. It was awesome.

Rain early, sun during the early afternoon, another shower, and now the sun is peaking out again.

Chicken salad sandwiches for lunch. Cheese and crackers for supper. A lazy food day.

Fresh coffee for the evening crowd.

I suspect that the Weather man was a trifle optimistic.
It's cold and it's p1$$in' down.
Whilst I appreciate that the gardens will inevitably need some watering, and the reservoirs need topping up, this really is not pleasant .

It's at this point that a coffee is desperately needed.
Chloe, any chance of a slug of your Black Rifle stuff please ?

I suspect that the Weather man was a trifle optimistic.
It's cold and it's p1$$in' down.
Whilst I appreciate that the gardens will inevitably need some watering, and the reservoirs need topping up, this really is not pleasant .

It's at this point that a coffee is desperately needed.
Chloe, any chance of a slug of your Black Rifle stuff please ?

Morning HP. there is fresh coffee on the counter but it's not that high powered rifle stuff of Chloe's.

Up early to make delivery on the latest boat. I lake tested it yesterday late. It floats great and runs great with the trolling motor only. I wanted to test it with an outboard but I didn't have a 2hp in stock and the 3hp would have been a little too much.

Like I siad, the coffee is ready for the early morning, Sinday crowd. Help yourself.

I'd like to see that someday. Craftsmanship is a dying thing, sadly.

Meanwhile, large black, please and thanks.

Gorilla glue, two part epoxy, and fiberglass tape hide many sins. :D

The craftsmanship is getting better. I wouldn't sell anything I didn't feel was safe enough for me to run around in.

One large black coming up.

Gorilla glue, two part epoxy, and fiberglass tape hide many sins. :D

The craftsmanship is getting better. I wouldn't sell anything I didn't feel was safe enough for me to run around in.

One large black coming up.

I'd be interested to know the less obvious differences between the 2hp and the 3hp motor.
Is it, perhaps, the fittings and physical dimensions are that different ?

Coffee, white, & half sugar, please

I'd be interested to know the less obvious differences between the 2hp and the 3hp motor.
Is it, perhaps, the fittings and physical dimensions are that different ?

Coffee, white, & half sugar, please

Other than the obvious and maybe a few pounds, there isn't much difference but... The main difference is in the gear ratio of the lower end. Higher HP, higher torque, higher gear ration, faster speed. There is a formula to calculate the max HP based on the width of the transom and the length of the boat.

I'm easy so it was tuna fish sandwiches for lunch.

Other than the obvious and maybe a few pounds, there isn't much difference but... The main difference is in the gear ratio of the lower end. Higher HP, higher torque, higher gear ration, faster speed. There is a formula to calculate the max HP based on the width of the transom and the length of the boat.

I'm easy so it was tuna fish sandwiches for lunch.

And that formula ain't easy, I see, [too many variables for my taste !]. :(

Meanwhile I think a simple mug of tea is required.

I mowed the lawn, seeded a dozen pots of basil for fall harvest, and had a pimiento-cheese sandwich for lunch (thanks for the idea Tx!). I've written a few hundred words, and I can probably get in another thousand or so before I have to move on to other chores.

I mowed the lawn, seeded a dozen pots of basil for fall harvest, and had a pimiento-cheese sandwich for lunch (thanks for the idea Tx!). I've written a few hundred words, and I can probably get in another thousand or so before I have to move on to other chores.

My lawn is about ready to mow but it has rained on and off today. I decide to stay in and relax after the guy picked up his boat. The two of us, slid it into the back of his truck easily. He was as happy as a clam at high tide.

I ended up working on a winter contest story I laid out quickly last fall but never got time to work on. Now I'm almost 4k into it.

Fresh coffee for the evening crew.

By the lord Harry, iodine stings on an open wound; (I had the dressing changed this morning).

A nice cup of coffee is indicated.

By the lord Harry, iodine stings on an open wound; (I had the dressing changed this morning).

A nice cup of coffee is indicated.

I remember being told that the sting from iodine was a sign that it was working to heal the wound.

I didn't believe them. I was too young for coffee, but not too young to swear.

I remember being told that the sting from iodine was a sign that it was working to heal the wound.

I didn't believe them. I was too young for coffee, but not too young to swear.

It is bloody sore !

"It's OK, ", said the Nurse, "You can say what you like !"
"Madam," I replied, "they are more often described as being applicable to the upper case of a keyboard's top line."
She smiled.
"Madam," I said, "it am real sore and effin painful".

Good morning everyone!

Coffee much needed and much appreciated. I'm finally getting a solid writing day today. Lots of gloom and rain here on the East Coast lately. Not so perfect for getting my Summer Lovin' story in motion again. But then again... looking forward to a sun-drenched imaginary escape.

I didn't know anyone still used iodine. Then I checked Wikipedia. Betadine seems pretty common in the US. It's an aqueous solution of iodine and potassium iodide rather than the traditional tincture of iodine.

Back