Reading Books For Pleasure

I very highly recommend Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. It is a very well written book. The descriptions of things are so poetic, so beautiful, rather than crude like some books. This book lets you fill in the blanks and form your own mental picture which is sometimes nice. I really liked this book, my girlfriend actually read it to me because she knew that I would like it. It was read to me in bit and pieces rather than being read in the actual order of the book but it was still an excellent read.

leeroy jenkins said:
For the book I read yesterday I just use erotic for a search word, I do have a few other books on my list that sound interesting to. Though most of these book are more of a romance and sex style then bdsm I think.

Honestly, I'm not really into romances that much, or even just sex.

Fury :rose:

DustyWolfe said:
I very highly recommend Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald. It is a very well written book. The descriptions of things are so poetic, so beautiful, rather than crude like some books. This book lets you fill in the blanks and form your own mental picture which is sometimes nice. I really liked this book, my girlfriend actually read it to me because she knew that I would like it. It was read to me in bit and pieces rather than being read in the actual order of the book but it was still an excellent read.

Sounds great! I'll look for it!

FurryFury said:

Sounds great! I'll look for it!

It really is a great book, I'd tell more about it but it's hard to without giving too much away. Now, I will say that the book touches on some issues but doesn't dwell on them really. I guess I really liked the book because it hit home for me on a few different levels and I could identify with one of the characters.

DustyWolfe said:
It really is a great book, I'd tell more about it but it's hard to without giving too much away. Now, I will say that the book touches on some issues but doesn't dwell on them really. I guess I really liked the book because it hit home for me on a few different levels and I could identify with one of the characters.

That is always one of the best feelings when that happens!

FurryFury said:
That is always one of the best feelings when that happens!

Definitely... It's not often I find a character I can identify with since I'm an FtM.

DustyWolfe said:
Definitely... It's not often I find a character I can identify with since I'm an FtM.

FtM? I guess I don't know that term. Sorry.

FurryFury said:

Well what can I say Fury, but I like romance, must because I am a hopeless romantic. When I read books I can take or do without the sex its not something I just have to have.

Kierae said:
FtM = Female to Male :rose:

Ah! Okay! Thanks for helping me out with that one. :kiss:

Leer,

I like some romance but not a whole book whose main purpose is that. I love hot sex but not a book that is only about that. There must be a good strong story of some genre other than romance or sex to capture and keep my interest.

FurryFury said:
FtM? I guess I don't know that term. Sorry.

Kierae said:
FtM = Female to Male :rose:

What Kierae said :D Thanks for answering that for me. I should have explained what it was in the original post, I sometimes forget that there are still very few people who know what FtM is.

Anyone here read the Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman? It just now occurred to me that it has a hint of SM undertone because of the Hunter character. He feeds off of fear -- specifically that of attractive women --- and he is absolutely a sadist, but I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination call the books BDSM themed.

They are, however, one of my favorite Sci-Fi series ever. Hell, forget Sci-Fi, it's just one of my favorite stories. Excellent world-building, fully developed characters that actually change and grow.

No sex, sorry, and while I consider the books romantic they are not romances. I mean romantic in the sense of epic tales of derring-do.

If you haven't read them, I highly recommend them. They were just re-released last year so they should be easy to find through Amazon or B&N or at used book stores etc. The books are nice and thick so you'll get many good hours of reading enjoyment. ;->

I'm in the middle of reading the tenth book in the Anita Blake series, and I just wanted to post a warning: If you think the Anita Blake books have too much sex DO NOT read any christine feehan. Cause their's a lot more than that.

Topping from Below

For those of you who were thinking of reading Laura Reese's first book Topping from Below I might save you the trouble.

Yes, there is more and better sex in it and it is very clearly and explicitly BDSM, but her writing style is the same and the characters in this book are as unlikeable as the ones in Panic Snap with the possible exception of the dead sister.

If none of those things bothered you about Panic Snap perhaps it would be good to know that the plot of Topping from Below is remarkably similar: Main character, Nora, is sure she knows who murdered her sister and that the police just aren't doing enough to catch him so she decides to get involved with him in order to get a conviction.

Yes, again we have a woman so stupid that she starts up a BDSM relationship with a man SHE BELIEVES IS A KILLER. Within a couple meetings he knows she thinks that. And the whole time she's carrying on with him she's cheating on her steady boyfriend.

She's a shitty person. The suspect is a shitty person. The dead sister is screwy and pathetic if not a shitty person and the steady boyfriend is kind of a pitiable lump and his shittiness I won't comment on just in case you do read the book and don't want it spoiled for you.

Again, even though there's a great deal more sex in this, I still don't know for sure how much actual experience Reese has with BDSM. She knows the tools and practices and she gives some plausible if common reasons for why the sisters fall in with M, but again, our Dominant is wreckless and irresponsible. He behaves like a sociopath in a lot of ways --- not unlike the Dominant in Panic Snap.

This is not to say that I prefer or even like "fluffy" Doms, but by the same token I don't think you have to be a narcissistic asshole to be a strong Dominant. Reese can't seem to find the emotional connections for her characters. She thinks the sex is powerful and hot, but there's only obsession and compulsion --- no true affection much less love or respect.

I will not be reading any more Reese should she happen to publish another book. Or, rather, another version of the same story she's told twice now.

/grumpy

-B

graceanne said:
I'm in the middle of reading the tenth book in the Anita Blake series, and I just wanted to post a warning: If you think the Anita Blake books have too much sex DO NOT read any christine feehan. Cause their's a lot more than that.

Hi Gracie!!

Have you read Hamilton's Merry Gentry series? I hear there's significantly more sex in that than in the Anita Blakes, as well. I don't have a problem with copious sex as long as it isn't stagnating the plot. I'm looking forward to Danse Macabre but I thought Michah was pretty weak. Just the initial excerpt of Danse Macabre has me itching to read it. I want a certain someone to get a serious smack-down. ;->

I think I've only ever read one Christine Feehan....but I could be mistaken. I might have gotten her mixed up with...uhm..Amanda Ashely? I don't know. Feehan's books are a little less sophisticated than our other paranormal ladies (Hamilton, Armstrong, Harrison) right?

Have you read Susan Squires vampire series?

-B

bridgeburner said:
Hi Gracie!!

Have you read Hamilton's Merry Gentry series? I hear there's significantly more sex in that than in the Anita Blakes, as well. I don't have a problem with copious sex as long as it isn't stagnating the plot. I'm looking forward to Danse Macabre but I thought Michah was pretty weak. Just the initial excerpt of Danse Macabre has me itching to read it. I want a certain someone to get a serious smack-down. ;->

I think I've only ever read one Christine Feehan....but I could be mistaken. I might have gotten her mixed up with...uhm..Amanda Ashely? I don't know. Feehan's books are a little less sophisticated than our other paranormal ladies (Hamilton, Armstrong, Harrison) right?

Have you read Susan Squires vampire series?

-B

I'm reading Narcissus in Chains right now. I've also read Micah (that's what got me started on these books). I've read the first of the Merry Gentry books, as soon as I'm done with these I'll start reading all of those. And I also can't wait for Dance Macabre. The tease at the end of micah . . . well i'm very anxious.

Christine Feehan writes the dark books. (Dark Prince, Dark Magic, etc.) They're about carpathians, if that helps you narrow her down. www.christinefeehan.com I am a C. Feehan addict. Their is nothing she's written that i haven't read.

edited to add: No I haven't read the Susan Squires vampire series.

Last edited:
Cool! Some good ideas for further books to read!!!

Sorry that Reese continues to write the same story which for us isn't what we want to read. Thanks for letting us know though!

Grace, wait until you read the first one if you haven't in the Anita Blake series. Guilty Pleasures was great but there was NO SEX! I hated that. I also hate the near universal idea by authors that women need to fight having sex even if they are not a virgin and WANT to in order to be "good." I say that's bullshit.

Anyway, I'm still trying to finish the selection of the month here.

graceanne said:
I'm reading Narcissus in Chains right now. I've also read Micah (that's what got me started on these books). I've read the first of the Merry Gentry books, as soon as I'm done with these I'll start reading all of those. And I also can't wait for Dance Macabre. The tease at the end of micah . . . well i'm very anxious.

Christine Feehan writes the dark books. (Dark Prince, Dark Magic, etc.) They're about carpathians, if that helps you narrow her down. www.christinefeehan.com I am a C. Feehan addict. Their is nothing she's written that i haven't read.

edited to add: No I haven't read the Susan Squires vampire series.

Hmmm....Carpathians rings a bell ---- Oh!!! I think I read one of hers in an anthology. There was a thing about three South or Central American brothers and in this story there's a woman on a ranch trying to keep two kids from being swallowed up by their family and one of the people trying to gain custody is one of these brothers. And then there was also a story about two sisters one of whom was badly abused at some point in the story, damn, I can't remember but, yes, Carpathians did it for me in the memory jogging department. I may have to go back and try her stuff in order.

All of the Blake books are better than Michah --- it wasn't a bad book, just not what I'd come to expect from her. There is a frustrating lack of sex in the first couple of books and I got to the point where I thought I wanted to just smack Anita because she was so self-righteous, but Hamilton is a good writer and her characters grow and change --- most notably Anita. (thank gawd!)

Squires books seem to me to have been published out of order. I think the second book should have been first since there's a character who appears in it that is DEAD in the first book. The third book was the best to my mind, but I enjoyed them all.

-B

FurryFury said:
I also hate the near universal idea by authors that women need to fight having sex even if they are not a virgin and WANT to in order to be "good." I say that's bullshit.

Anyway, I'm still trying to finish the selection of the month here.

Amen, sister!!! What is it with this lingering repressive attitude about sex? Female characters that are virgins at 30 for no reason other than they're saving it for marriage?

Sorry, but with rare exception, people who remain virgins long into their adult years for other than strong religous reasons are generally a bit unbalanced. It's not the lack of sex that unbalances them it is their social ineptitude and personal issues that result in the lack of sex.

I'm not mollified by the technically de-virginized heroines who had one encounter and then never had sex again for like ten or fifteen years. (provided it wasn't horribly traumatic or something)

I have ONE girlfriend who doesn't fuck. One out of a circle of about 30. She's had one sexual relationship in her life and, while she's not a weirdo, I can see what some of the obstacles are to her ever having another one.

bridgeburner said:
Amen, sister!!! What is it with this lingering repressive attitude about sex? Female characters that are virgins at 30 for no reason other than they're saving it for marriage?

Sorry, but with rare exception, people who remain virgins long into their adult years for other than strong religous reasons are generally a bit unbalanced. It's not the lack of sex that unbalances them it is their social ineptitude and personal issues that result in the lack of sex.

I'm not mollified by the technically de-virginized heroines who had one encounter and then never had sex again for like ten or fifteen years. (provided it wasn't horribly traumatic or something)

I have ONE girlfriend who doesn't fuck. One out of a circle of about 30. She's had one sexual relationship in her life and, while she's not a weirdo, I can see what some of the obstacles are to her ever having another one.

I tried to be good and save it. After that was over I was trying to make up for lost time!!!

Does that make me a less nice or heroic person, does it have aany bearing at all on those qualities? Hell no! Sex is good! Anyone who isn't a virgin, wants to fuck and doesn't, just pisses me off.

It's a prevalent double standard in literature. Not fucking doesn't make you a good person, it just makes you a frustrated horny person. You might shoot, slash and so on, the vamps, dragon and so on, more often though. Hmm. *strokes chin*

Last edited:
Ok now I have done another of the Dark Hunter books and they are good. I do have a slight issue with Kenyon and the book publisher for not laying out a timeline or at least an order the books were written. Its nice to read them in order of how the story arc develops.

bridgeburner said:
Hmmm....Carpathians rings a bell ---- Oh!!! I think I read one of hers in an anthology. There was a thing about three South or Central American brothers and in this story there's a woman on a ranch trying to keep two kids from being swallowed up by their family and one of the people trying to gain custody is one of these brothers. And then there was also a story about two sisters one of whom was badly abused at some point in the story, damn, I can't remember but, yes, Carpathians did it for me in the memory jogging department. I may have to go back and try her stuff in order.

All of the Blake books are better than Michah --- it wasn't a bad book, just not what I'd come to expect from her. There is a frustrating lack of sex in the first couple of books and I got to the point where I thought I wanted to just smack Anita because she was so self-righteous, but Hamilton is a good writer and her characters grow and change --- most notably Anita. (thank gawd!)

Squires books seem to me to have been published out of order. I think the second book should have been first since there's a character who appears in it that is DEAD in the first book. The third book was the best to my mind, but I enjoyed them all.

-B

Oh, I loved that one. Dark Demon. I've read the first nine of the Anita Blake books, AND micah. I got Micah a few weeks ago, and then last week I got books 1-10 in e-book format. I'm on the tenth one. Then I'll get the other ones, so I'll be ready when her new one comes out. Hopefully I'll have the Merry Gentry books read by then, too.

leeroy jenkins said:
Ok now I have done another of the Dark Hunter books and they are good. I do have a slight issue with Kenyon and the book publisher for not laying out a timeline or at least an order the books were written. Its nice to read them in order of how the story arc develops.

Dark Hunter Reading Order

graceanne said:

I went there but I should not have to do extra work just to read her books in order when so many others either label the spines or print the book order on one of the pages in a book. That does not really detract from the enjoyment of reading a good book, but it makes it harder to follow the books in order so you see where the characters start and end up at. I have at the moment 5 more and I will attempt to read them in order but I am missing a few and I didn't even see the library having copies of said books os that is another issue.

leeroy jenkins said:
I went there but I should not have to do extra work just to read her books in order when so many others either label the spines or print the book order on one of the pages in a book. That does not really detract from the enjoyment of reading a good book, but it makes it harder to follow the books in order so you see where the characters start and end up at. I have at the moment 5 more and I will attempt to read them in order but I am missing a few and I didn't even see the library having copies of said books os that is another issue.

Which ones are you missing? I might have em in e-book, I could send em to you.

edited to add: Oh, and you're welcome for finding that for you.

graceanne said:
Which ones are you missing? I might have em in e-book, I could send em to you.

edited to add: Oh, and you're welcome for finding that for you.

LOL your funny grace, the first thing I did when I got home today was look up her dark hunter website. I have read seize the night and night pleasure. I have with me unread atm kiss of the night, night play, sins of the night, dance with the devil, night embrace.

So I will say thank you if and when you send me the ebook, though how does it wear on your eyes?? Never yet read an ebook is why I ask.

Back