Random Gamer Silliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
That actually makes me curious. How different do you think the reactions would be if, instead of sending them back directly 2,000 years, you sent them back 100 years at a time every time one year passed? It would take twenty to reach the destination, of course, but barring potential discrimination snafoos and the plague I wonder how different it would end up.

Motherfucking confusing is how it would end up. "I just figured out how not to burn stuff on this stove...damn!"

Oh, definitely. But I'd definitely be homicidal first before I was suicidal. Might as well take some of the pedophiles out. Not all, mind, but some.
Let's start with Tiberius.

My brain is accustomed to a certain level of air conditioning.

I don't idealize history the way many people do, I know it was brutal and there's a reason why most people didn't live out of their 20's.
They would look at the way the poorest among us today live, and think, "they live like gods!"

Driving at tremendous speeds across smooth asphalt roads in thunder-chariots...

People dressed in rags talking to others on cell phones, who could be anywhere...

We live in a world of magnets and miracles.

Let's start with Tiberius.

They would look at the way the poorest among us today live, and think, "they live like gods!"

Driving at tremendous speeds across smooth asphalt roads in thunder-chariots...

People dressed in rags talking to others on cell phones, who could be anywhere...

We live in a world of magnets and miracles.

I know! I live infinitely better than royalty of prior ages. Air conditioning, refrigeration, roads, electricity, antibiotics, health care... Hell, I live better than most people alive NOW.

That actually makes me curious. How different do you think the reactions would be if, instead of sending them back directly 2,000 years, you sent them back 100 years at a time every time one year passed? It would take twenty to reach the destination, of course, but barring potential discrimination snafoos and the plague I wonder how different it would end up.
^ This is a genius idea.

Less suicides, I would imagine...

Probably a more fulfilling experience for all, though, I would think.

^ This is a genius idea.

Less suicides, I would imagine...

Probably a more fulfilling experience for all, though, I would think.

Sounds horrible. Just once is enough. Every year once a year? I don't even want to move from place to place that often!

Not to mention, how do I explain moving to the kids, with the attendant lack of games or ice cream?

"You're sitting... in a chair... in the sky!"

omfg... did you watch the clip?

Yes, it's awesome. That's my attitude to a lot of it. My biggest miracle is my medication. Holy shit, nature took my brain away and THIS PILL right here...gave it back.

You think Big Pharmaceutical is all evil? WHAT?!

Yes, it's awesome. That's my attitude to a lot of it. My biggest miracle is my medication. Holy shit, nature took my brain away and THIS PILL right here...gave it back.

You think Big Pharmaceutical is all evil? WHAT?!
It's so fucking amazing... and kids today are like, so?

Then they do the IRL version of :rolleyes:

"You're making sparks... in the phone!"

I was telling Ulaven last night that I think the crime rate has dropped partially from the introduction of ibuprofen and video games.

First off, you can actually make pain stop so you don't want to take it out on people. Secondly, if you still want to take it out on people, you can take it out on PRETEND people.

Yeah, well, it's stupid to have no electricity and no modern machines and no running water.

Live like that and see if you even survive a month, let alone have time to worry about what you fricken sound like.

Dude, I think you missed the part where I said I lived in Appalachia.

It does fucking suck. I've had to do it before. And it goddamn motherfucking sucks and is goddamn /stupid/. Believe me, this is not a fucking subject that you want to get me started on.

There was a series of tornadoes a few months back that knocked out the power. Now, for people that aren't complete fucking dumbasses that means that you still have water. But for people who "ain't gonna pay for water" like my grandpa, that means that the pump and filters stop working. Now, taking into account that our groundwater is polluted with coal slurry from the mines up the hill, we have NO FUCKING DRINKABLE WATER at all. So we have to hit the town's TWO grocery stores, because that's all we fucking have, and buy up jugs of water. Now, the ENTIRE FUCKING TOWN is doing that, because we all have the same goddamn problem. So there this intense water shortage for the entire time, and I'm not supposed to be bathing- so I will fucking drive out of town and take my lecture to take a goddamn shower. I refuse to not bath. That's some bullshit right there.

Especially taking into account that ancient fucking Rome had aqueducts and running goddamn water. I'm in a situation that's worse then people like 1,000 years ago? That's some goddamn bullshit is what that is. Water is like... so fucking inexpensive too... Just... this is a fight we've had multiple times. And wells are a lot of upkeep, and you know who gets to do all that? Dragging the motherfucking pump around and shit? Me. Fucking covered in slurry and that orange shit... Goddamn...

I'm sorry, I totally forgot that I was supposed to be making some kind of comparison to Rome in that... um... I'm guessing they were better off because they got to have orgies. And all the gay sex they could handle. But I think if they were fucking nasty that wouldn't be as great as it sounds. I don't really know how I feel about that. I don't want to think about orgies right after I bitch about not having water. That's gross.

It's so fucking amazing... and kids today are like, so?

Then they do the IRL version of :rolleyes:

My kids are cool. Not always, but in general they're appreciative.

The best tool for parenting and the child that is overcurious about everything when I've answered fifty questions and I have to get back to work? "Go wiki it. Follow up."

And they CAN. They can find ANYTHING. It's awesome.

In the old days, you got sick and the witch doctor would wave a necklace of gorilla teeth over you and chant some stuff and that was all you got.

I was telling Ulaven last night that I think the crime rate has dropped partially from the introduction of ibuprofen and video games.

First off, you can actually make pain stop so you don't want to take it out on people. Secondly, if you still want to take it out on people, you can take it out on PRETEND people.

Video games have led to a decrease in crime, there have been studies on that very subject. They also promote literacy and problem solving skills.

Also, there have been experiments that make me sad, but which I won't question the credibility of, because they're done by scientists, who are doctors, and I'm an art-school dropout, so I assume they know more then me. And these show that people with violent tendencies tend to play more violent games, and that, therefore, if someone is coming into gamestop picking up violent shit every week, they're more likely to be violent. But these tastes cross over into all their media; they read violent books, watch violent movies, have violent hobbies, etc.

I do not like this information. It makes me sound like a psychopath.

Dude, I think you missed the part where I said I lived in Appalachia.

It does fucking suck. I've had to do it before. And it goddamn motherfucking sucks and is goddamn /stupid/. Believe me, this is not a fucking subject that you want to get me started on.

There was a series of tornadoes a few months back that knocked out the power. Now, for people that aren't complete fucking dumbasses that means that you still have water. But for people who "ain't gonna pay for water" like my grandpa, that means that the pump and filters stop working. Now, taking into account that our groundwater is polluted with coal slurry from the mines up the hill, we have NO FUCKING DRINKABLE WATER at all. So we have to hit the town's TWO grocery stores, because that's all we fucking have, and buy up jugs of water. Now, the ENTIRE FUCKING TOWN is doing that, because we all have the same goddamn problem. So there this intense water shortage for the entire time, and I'm not supposed to be bathing- so I will fucking drive out of town and take my lecture to take a goddamn shower. I refuse to not bath. That's some bullshit right there.

Especially taking into account that ancient fucking Rome had aqueducts and running goddamn water. I'm in a situation that's worse then people like 1,000 years ago? That's some goddamn bullshit is what that is. Water is like... so fucking inexpensive too... Just... this is a fight we've had multiple times. And wells are a lot of upkeep, and you know who gets to do all that? Dragging the motherfucking pump around and shit? Me. Fucking covered in slurry and that orange shit... Goddamn...

I'm sorry, I totally forgot that I was supposed to be making some kind of comparison to Rome in that... um... I'm guessing they were better off because they got to have orgies. And all the gay sex they could handle. But I think if they were fucking nasty that wouldn't be as great as it sounds. I don't really know how I feel about that. I don't want to think about orgies right after I bitch about not having water. That's gross.

Yes, you are better off in that you don't think your thoughts come only from the Gods, you don't have to sacrifice yourself to them unless you choose to voluntarily, you can't be compelled into slavery based on birth...

Yeah, the water thing sucks, but there's much worse.

You'd be even worse in Rome. Then it wouldn't be that the water stops flowing and you have to "drive" to a "hotel" to get "running water." It'd be that Neptune is now mad at you and that's why the water doesn't work.

People didn't even know what caused cholera and dysentery until about 150 years ago or so.

In the old days, you got sick and the witch doctor would wave a necklace of gorilla teeth over you and chant some stuff and that was all you got.

And you were thankful!

Or at least respectful, because if you weren't, the witch doctor would say you were cursed, condemn you as evil, and take all your family's stuff.

Video games have led to a decrease in crime, there have been studies on that very subject. They also promote literacy and problem solving skills.

Also, there have been experiments that make me sad, but which I won't question the credibility of, because they're done by scientists, who are doctors, and I'm an art-school dropout, so I assume they know more then me. And these show that people with violent tendencies tend to play more violent games, and that, therefore, if someone is coming into gamestop picking up violent shit every week, they're more likely to be violent. But these tastes cross over into all their media; they read violent books, watch violent movies, have violent hobbies, etc.

I do not like this information. It makes me sound like a psychopath.

No, I actually think it's a positive thing. If anger can be bled off like a pressure valve, and I believe it can, I'd MUCH rather it was taken out on someone virtual.

It doesn't cure violence, but it does drain it off, like a boil being lanced. Yes, they'll make more, but as long as there's a game system..

No, I actually think it's a positive thing. If anger can be bled off like a pressure valve, and I believe it can, I'd MUCH rather it was taken out on someone virtual.

It doesn't cure violence, but it does drain it off, like a boil being lanced. Yes, they'll make more, but as long as there's a game system..

That's what I thought to, but that's not what this study said... that's why it made me sad. And like I said, I tend not to question people who are smarter then me.

My great-grandfather was a witch doctor (true story) and I can assure you, that is not at all what they did. They specialize in herbal medicine, wholistic healing and whatnot. And a lot of what they did worked and a lot of the elements that they used are now distilled and is exactly what you're taking in your pharmacological drugs except blended with a bunch of other shit. He actually passed away only a couple years ago...

Yes, you are better off in that you don't think your thoughts come only from the Gods, you don't have to sacrifice yourself to them unless you choose to voluntarily, you can't be compelled into slavery based on birth...

Yeah, the water thing sucks, but there's much worse.

You'd be even worse in Rome. Then it wouldn't be that the water stops flowing and you have to "drive" to a "hotel" to get "running water." It'd be that Neptune is now mad at you and that's why the water doesn't work.

People didn't even know what caused cholera and dysentery until about 150 years ago or so.

Hotel? I went to a friends house- what am I, rich?

My kids are cool. Not always, but in general they're appreciative.

The best tool for parenting and the child that is overcurious about everything when I've answered fifty questions and I have to get back to work? "Go wiki it. Follow up."

And they CAN. They can find ANYTHING. It's awesome.
You're kids are exceptional. For most, in my experience, this marvelous tool sits unused.

You may remember a time before Algore came up with the idea for the Internets. That was when, if you wanted to find out something, you had to go to the library. Learn the Dewey Decimal System...

Now they can find out how brutal life was even 100 years ago, in air-conditioned comfort, snacking on a hot-pocket.

Remember the days before cell phones? You had to arrange to meet your friends somewhere at a particular time... your car broke down and you'd have to flag down a passing car, or just walk two miles to a payphone... explain two days later why you didn't show up...

Now you can call them en route and explain why you're five minutes late. You can call road service from your car. It's almost too easy.

That's what I thought to, but that's not what this study said... that's why it made me sad. And like I said, I tend not to question people who are smarter then me.

My great-grandfather was a witch doctor (true story) and I can assure you, that is not at all what they did. They specialize in herbal medicine, wholistic healing and whatnot. And a lot of what they did worked and a lot of the elements that they used are now distilled and is exactly what you're taking in your pharmacological drugs except blended with a bunch of other shit. He actually passed away only a couple years ago...

Oh, I question everyone all the time. I didn't say it contributed a huge amount, but I think it'll provide someone borderline an opportunity to beat someone up in a game and not kick the cat. It won't make any difference in someone who wants to take it out on real people.

Yes, that's part of what they did and the reason why is that shaman is a JOB. If you want to stay alive in that job, you have to find a cause. Your great-grandfather lived in a time where germ theory was accepted and demonic possession no longer the go-to cause. In previous times the shaman/healer was supposed to know the will of the Gods and demonstrate it in a real way. Crop failure was the shaman's fault unless they picked someone else to blame. If your grandfather was a true healer, they'd have died as a crop failure martyr and another one chosen until they find the unscrupulous dickhead willing to blame the third widow on the left for it and keep their skin together.

I understand herbal medicine and shamanism and holistic medicine and consulted a great deal of those traditions in order to try to treat my headaches. Oddly enough a tea with lady slipper roots worked well until lady slippers were deemed endangered and I could no longer get it. Tasted like hell.

But Imitrex is better.

You're kids are exceptional. For most, in my experience, this marvelous tool sits unused.

You may remember a time before Algore came up with the idea for the Internets. That was when, if you wanted to find out something, you had to go to the library. Learn the Dewey Decimal System...

Now they can find out how brutal life was even 100 years ago, in air-conditioned comfort, snacking on a hot-pocket.

Remember the days before cell phones? You had to arrange to meet your friends somewhere at a particular time... your car broke down and you'd have to flag down a passing car, or just walk two miles to a payphone... explain two days later why you didn't show up...

Now you can call them en route and explain why you're five minutes late. You can call road service from your car. It's almost too easy.

I remember my mom always having to have enough cash on hand to...pay bills. Outrageous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back