The North (Closed)

KieranSoares

Literotica Guru
In the spring of 1153, late snow storms had finally subsided across Northern Europe, the last blizzard blowing itself out in mid-April and the final snowdrifts disappearing during a heatwave in the last days before May. Floods had raged through lowlands and river valleys. However, the late snow, heavy rain, and the distraction of mudslides and floods had given cover to the movements of soldiers across Scandinavia, along the coast of the North Sea, and along the English Channel. The Triad- Norway, Denmark, and Sweden- had led their allied countries to gather some of the largest armies outside the Holy Roman Empire, and set them up in camps all along the northern coasts with ships ready to invade Southern England. The original plan to go straight for Edinburgh had been put aside in favor of getting a foothold in England first, and reinstalling House Beauclerc on the throne there. England was a country split between Imperial Rebels supporting the new High King Brennan Royer of Scotland, Imperial citizens still loyal to the Holy Roman Emperor Joachim Hendrik, and Triad loyalists who remembered their rulers and protectors from twenty years prior. It would be easiest, in the Triad and Northern Alliance's mind, to find sympathizers in England and use their holdings to get an iron grip there first, secure Wales to open a path to their friends in Ireland, and then surge north.

It had been almost a year since the North had gone to war with the Holy Roman Empire once more. In the course of 1152 and through early 1153, the Imperial Council had been challenged, dismantled, and replaced. Emperor Joachim Hendrik had married and had a son, and his wife, the Englishwoman Tanya Ashcroft, had become the Empire's sword almost overnight. She was at the head of a legion of fellow Dragon Riders she'd hand-chosen from the Empire, known as the Order of Alstadt. The Order was full of bright young minds and intelligent dragons, a far cry from the starving and feral soldiers and beasts previously employed by the Imperial Council before they were dissolved. And it was Tanya and the Alstadt Riders that came at the head of two massive Imperial armies to make good on Joachim's promise to help the North retake their lost homes in the Isles.

It was a foggy, warm morning along the beaches of Calais, perfect cover for an invasion of Dover. Those who had studied or remembered the North's defense against the Empire knew that this was the closest and easiest entry to England from the mainland. And with England's people divided and fighting with the Imperial rebels, it'd be even easier to surge into England and take over a good amount of land before anyone with sufficient power could react. Most of all, the goal was to get into English towns and villages to bring word that the Northern Alliance was returning, with the hope that the people would either support their former rulers or at least shirk their new, cruel leaders. That was the plan cemented the evening prior- to send Riders and messengers across southern England, and send the main forces toward major settlements like Hastings, London, Oxford, and so on. One large army would head across Wales toward Caernarvon to secure the route to Ireland, and then once they all reached Hadrian's Wall, they would regroup, dig in, and start pushing into Scotland, hopefully with some of the free clans joining them along the way.

As the first light of morning began to filter through the fog, Commander Samuel Ghis was perched on the brand new saddle of his chosen partner, the Elder Dragon Dzana. She stood atop the cliffs of Calais overlooking the bay where the many ships were making final checks before setting off toward Dover. The fog obscured the famous White Cliffs of Dover, but Sam knew exactly how far away they were. It would be only hours before the ships landed and unleashed the vanguard upon the city of Dover itself. There was a good chance the city would surrender immediately without violence, as the Baron there was a known loyalist to the Beauclercs. Canterbury and Hastings would likely be friendly as well, so Sam had high hopes for the first weeks. They would move hard and fast, but mercifully wherever possible, as these were the North's own people still even after two decades.

Lowering a spyglass and tossing it back to the Northern Spymaster Kell Aleister on the ground beside, Sam turned to look back at the huge gathering of Riders. The Alstadts were in Imperial red and gold, but wore blue Ghis armbands now like the rest. Some Riders wore the colors of their countries- Ireland, Sweden, Poland, the Rus- and others wore their own armor and gear as independents beholden only to the Rider Queen herself. Sam's eyes fell upon a few figures up front in particular.

Jani Halfborn, first sword of the Rider Queen, was front and center with her partner Avfairn, decked out in light furs and heavy leather and plate armor covered in runes from her Icelandic heritage. She gripped her saddle horn in anticipation, her warrior spirit blazing for the chance to finally take back her dearest friends' homelands. Close beside her was Andre Zaufberg atop Gia, his new round shield slung across his saddle as he adjusted his gloves and tied back his shaggy black hair. And beside him was his fiance Riley Ghis atop Marth, the young, scarred dragon raring to go after months of retraining to overcome a lost eye and to strengthen his right side after grievous wounds. There were many more notable, loyal, and dangerous Riders gathered, all officers and found family. But Sam's eyes found two in particular as he tried to hide his worry from all those looking up at him.

Fiona Blackstone, the Rider Queen and rightful Queen of Inverness, was back in the saddle just in time to join her family and allies and her faithful partner Schaller. After nearly losing a leg, and a bad head wound, her best Riders had finally gotten her back in fighting shape. Her hip would always need a little extra attention to keep it strong and limber, but she was as close to her former fitness as could be hoped for in the amount of time they'd had. Sam had reinforced the hip joint of her armor, keeping the extra material hidden with careful layering, but he still worried she was pushing too hard, too soon. Even more worrisome- even if he wasn't a fighter- was Soma Ghis atop his new partner Idunn, close beside Fiona. He was in armor and fully armed as well, but he wouldn't be going into the fray. He'd campaigned for weeks to be allowed to fly so he could oversee the ships and armies, and Sam had finally given in on the condition that Soma was put with a good partner, had full gear and weapons, and that his bodyguard and cousin Brogan would be nearby with his flying partner Osman at all times. This would be Soma's great proving, as the entire invasion had been planned with him at the head. The entire North was watching the young man, confident that if he'd fooled an Imperial Council to free him from chains, and if he'd kept the Empire out of Scandinavia, he could retake the Isles. And with his newfound purpose and such trust being placed with him, Soma was blooming into a confident, fiery young tactician and one of the greatest military minds in the North.

Bugles sounded from the beaches below, pulling Sam's attention back down toward the ships. He glanced around and double-checked with lookouts before leaning forward and patting Dzana's shoulder. "Give the signal, love."

Dzana reared her head back and shot three short gouts of brilliant indigo flame into the sky. All across Calais, bugles repeated the pattern in three short blasts. Shouts arose from the soldiers on the ships and beaches below, and the vessels began pushing off from shore in a carefully-spaced fleet. Sam turned back toward the Riders, and Dzana turned with him to face them all.

"Listen to me, all o' you," Sam called over the veritable army of dragons and their partners. "Diplomacy an' mercy is th'name o' the game here. We're tryin' to win people over, not become new tyrants burnin' their fields an' homes. Most of you have target cities to take messages to, an' you're not to attack except to defend yourselves. Deliver your messages, get responses from the lords if you can do so safely, an' get back to Dover. Those o' you who aren't set to carry messages, you'll be runnin' overwatch for the ships an' over our camps an' Dover, an' move with the advancing vanguards to the nearby cities. Avoid fire as much as you can. Even if we have to fight soldiers, we're to spare civilians, homes, and crops as much as possible. I know you aren't raiders, but it bears repeating: mercy, an' diplomacy."

He glanced to Jani in particular and cracked a smile, "An' don' whip up the civilians into rebellion against stubborn lords jus' yet either." A few chuckles went around.

Jani shrugged with a smirk, "No promises, Commander. I might get a little impatient if this all goes too smoothly."

Sam shook his head with a smile, allowing a bit of hope to show in front of his most trusted people. "You all fly for your own causes an' people, each one o' you has something you believe in tha' brought you here, either to defend what you love or take back what you lost. But no matter your origins or your colors, you all fly for the North today. The entire Ghis Clan, House Aleister, House Beauclerc, the Monaghans, the Dunlands, the Triad... we all owe you more than you know for your confidence an' loyalty. Some o' you joined us when all hope seemed lost last year, an' you stayed true even in the worst times. Some are still here from twenty years back, despite all our losses. An' the young ones fighting their first battles, you've chosen to trust your mentors and me to steer you to victory. For all of that, I an' my family are in your debt. When Inverness is free again, I hope to welcome every man, woman, and dragon here to the biggest feast the Isles have ever seen. We'll revive our little haven, an' we'll see our best an' brightest put in positions where they can help the Isles grow again. I'm confident that us Scots, English, and Welsh will see home again very soon. Keep true to your partners an' Soma's plans, my friends. Messengers, head out. The rest of you, join the ships. Some of us officers will choose a few to join us in forward groups. Get going!"

A good three quarters of the Riders present took off toward the opposite shore to disperse their messages across England. They were essentially small treaties meant for loyalists and old friends, asking for free passage of the armies and a declaration of loyalty to the true English throne and the Northern Alliance. Any who took the treaty would be accepted as allies and protected, and those who refused would have to be considered enemies. While Sam wanted to allow neutral lords to go free, most of the Northern leaders and strategists had agreed that neutral states were too risky, and so they would have to be taken over as carefully as possible to avoid harming civilians.

"Officers," Sam called out to his inner circle and higher Riders. "Dismount, gather up." He dismounted as well, and began doling out direct, specific orders to each. One by one, they set off until it was just Sam, family members, Jani, and Kell. "Jani, pick two energetic greenhorns who can keep up with you. Show them how you work," Sam encouraged his shield-sister.

"So create more Halfborns. Got it," Jani affirmed with a grin before she and Avfairn rocketed away.

"Kell, I trust your judgment with any issues in Dover an' any potential traitors. This is a massive operation, so I expect some moles. Keep a close eye on Finn Royer. He says he's going to help us against his father, but I'm still no' sure o' him. I'm givin' you full power over judgment an' punishment of any traitors, same goes for Qira. An' keep Shani close, I want her learning directly from you two."

Kell nodded, clapping Sam on the shoulder before hitching a ride with one of his Rider agents back down to Calais proper. Sam turned to those left: Fiona, Riley, Andre, Brogan, and Soma. "Riley, Andre. I'm lettin' you two go without a supervising officer. Keep watch, intervene where needed, an' look out for anti-dragon weapons in particular. If any start firin' from Dover, destroy 'em but don't cause damage to the city if you can help it. If you need direction, report t' Jani." He sent them off, and turned to Soma. "Son... do what you need t'do to be effective. Much as it pains me to send you out there, you're our master strategist an' you need to be flexible. Jus' don't get far from Bo, an' stay high up out o' reach if a fight breaks out."

"I won't take unnecessary risks, promise," Soma assured him. Sam kissed his forehead and sent him off with Brogan, Idunn, and Osman. When it was just Fiona, Sam, Schaller, and Dzana, the two pairs separated for a quiet moment. Dzana and Schaller were not partners again, but their relationship had been healing slowly and carefully for months now, and she was no longer too proud to show him a bit of affection and care, nuzzling his neck and warning him quietly to stay safe, if only for Rikke and Sveri's sake. Little Sveri saw him as her father, and even if Dzana wasn't willing to call him her mate again, she wouldn't deprive her daughter of a good father figure.

Sam took Fiona aside, checking the hip joint of her armor for what felt like the hundredth time that week, before he forced himself to stop fussing. Taking a deep breath and facing her, he murmured with a smile, "Well... guess you win, love. Twenty years, you've been carryin' on about how we'll go home someday, tha' we'll win back our friends' and family's titles. We've got an Empire an' the entire Northern Alliance backing us now, provin' you right." He drew her in for a long kiss before hugging her tightly and muttering, "Sorry I ever doubted you. Sorry I doubted us."

Rider Queen. It was a title that seemed to follow no matter where she went. She had long ago grown used to the stares and murmurs that would follow in her wake, especially from new riders in the ranks. She was often a fairy tale for them. Or, depending on where they were raised, a nightmare. Fiona Blackstone cut a striking figure with her white blond hair and crystal blue eyes. With a white elder dragon as her partner, it was easy to see her no matter where she went. Seeing her close up would often form their opinions right then and there.

That day, in the mist and chaos of an operation, she looked every bit the Rider Queen that she was. New armor had been made for the occasion. Loyalty to her husband's country and homeland shown clearly on the detailed chest plate. She was a Ghis, married into the family and welcomed with open arms. She also also a fox, born and bred despite looking human. Sam's work in the forge gave him peace and he often took great pains to design every inch of her armor so that she would be well protected.

Fiona stood at the base of Schaller, glancing up as Sam started his speech for those gathered. Pulling on her riding gloves, she had to smile to herself. For a man that hated the idea of being a king he certainly sounded like one. As she had taken time to heal over the winter, he had taken on more responsibilities and been forced to plan with the others. She needed the physical aspects more than she needed the mental ones. As her husband, she trusted him to take care of them.

The winter had been particularly harsh for Fiona as she had worked to gain her strength back. Ezra and Jani had put her through her paces in the air and she relied upon the Ghis brothers to get her back into fighting shape. She had trained like an axewoman, facing off against Boar, Durban, and Brogan daily to get that fighting spirit back. She had run miles with Kell and his most fit spies, seeing most of Norway on foot in the spring. Then she had taken two weeks in the Haven to train with younger and quicker dragons. She wasn't an invalid any longer. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

When Sam sent the others off on their mission and came to her side, she was just buckling on her new leather harness when he knelt to double check her hip armor. He would never trust it, even though he designed it himself. He would never forgive himself for the one flaw that had almost taken away her life.

"What's a reluctant king to do when the Rider Queen proves that she's been right all along?" Fiona asked as he took her into his arms and kissed her properly, apologizing again for doubting her all those years. "You're stubborn, Ghis. I've come to expect it."

She gave him a soft smile at those words, reaching up to touch his cheek as he held her. They had made difficult decisions together just after the winter solstice. Together, they had signed over guardianship of Tati to Rhett and Orla. For the time being it as the right choice. She needed stability that a war couldn't give to a disabled young fox. It was temporary, but it both fell, they knew that the little girl was in the place that she belonged. While at the Haven, Fiona had also made it official that Rory now owned everything. It was his to do as he pleased. She knew that being the Rider Queen was a blessing and a curse and the dragons were weary of decisions being made. She officially cut her ties to the land to bring them peace. In the last letter she had gotten from Rory just a week earlier, he had informed her that it was indeed much more peaceful.

"The last time we were in Dover was terrible. I hope that it's not a repeat." She said softly, remembering all the carnage that they had left behind in their retreat.

"With Soma's planning an' a healthy bit o' luck... There might no' have to be any bloodshed there at all." Sam kissed her again before forcing himself to think of the present invasion. "I know you don't care t'take orders, love. But all Soma an' I need from you is for you to look after the Riders an' keep them aligned with the rest o' the Alliance's movements. This first act o' the plan should be kept clean an' quick as possible. But if somethin' goes wrong, it's up to major officers like you an' I to step in an' smooth any rough patches, even if by force." Sam glanced over to Schaller and Dzana as the two spoke on their own. "We'll draw attention with Elder Dragons, and we've got Stila Oliveras to worry about too, so Kell's Rider agents will be up there with us. We need to avoid all-out combat as long as possible, for the sake of the civilians and ourselves. But if something goes really wrong, fight as hard as you have to, to make sure you an' Schaller get back."

Sam kissed her cheek then as Dzana and Schaller began to approach, their own conversation finished.

Fiona watched her husband walk to his new partner, confident that he had found a proper replacement for Invah who was in Sweden waiting on the birth of her egg. The Voya had offered to house both her and Gaiann for the time being and the dragons had graciously accepted the hospitality. Both she and Sam were waiting for word that she was safely delivered of her egg.

"Well, old man, let's not have a repeat of last time we were in Dover." Fiona said as Schaller assumed the position so that she could climb into the saddle. "I'd rather not have a tail strike today."

She sat on her saddle and buckled herself in as she felt Schaller flexing under her, getting use to the feel of a rider before he settled. He has his quirks and she had to laugh under her breath. Twenty years together and her dragon still abided by many different superstitions.

"Well, considering you've managed to make an ally of every Elder Dragon we've come across thus far, we should be set." Schaller stepped up to the cliff edge as Dzana and Sam took off, pausing a moment to survey the English Channel and the majority of the Northern Alliance's navy. The rest of their ships were guarding the coast from Normandy to northern Sweden, ensuring that the Imperial rebels were locked in on all sides. Schaller was pensive, his brows furrowing. "Twenty years, little fox," he murmured. "It may not be Scotland... but you will finally set foot in the isles again today. Even if I was not there long... a part of me has desperately missed that little haven the Ghis created, and that the crowns of the isles supported. It was worth all the blood we shed back then. And it seems we must shed more." He glanced back over his shoulder at her, his gaze loving but serious. "I am looking forward to the day that you set foot in Inverness Keep again, my love."

"Not bad for a wayward kit." Fiona said as he turned his great head and regarded her as his equal and not as a rider. "I look forward to the day when Fiona Blackstone, the Rider Queen is simply a distant memory. I want to be Fiona Ghis of Inverness again."

"And you, my friend, will grow fat and lazy as a protector of our little town. That's my promise to you." She said with a soft smile his direction. "After everything you've been through, it's the least that I can do."

"Hardly," he said with a rare chuckle. "You know me. I'm far too suspicious to be lazy." With that, he spread his wings and took a leisurely step off the cliff edge. His wings caught the wind instantly, letting him glide out over the calm, misty channel. The fog was thick enough to obscure Dover for a good long ways. Schaller circled the ships and kept an eye on the other overseeing Riders. But soon the fog began to burn off, and a southwesterly wind blew the rest away. While the wind was good for the sailing ships, the cleared air now gave away the massive navy. Most ships arrived within five hours of setting off, but alarms were raised long before thanks to the arriving messenger who offered the treaty to the lord there. By the time footsoldiers marched into the open gates at the welcome of said lord, other towns beyond were already reacting by either opening their own gates, or preparing for a fight out of fear, or loyalty to their local lord.

Dover's citizens were understandably nervous at the arrival of Northern soldiers, but tensions were soothed quickly as Sam himself landed in the lord's estate and publicly addressed the city. He assured them of the treaty's language, their intentions, and of the return of House Beauclerc. The Northerners were suddenly treated as heroes rather than invaders, and Lord Dover happily volunteered his castle as an outpost for the North. Within the day, word came back from Folkestone, Deal, Canterbury, and even Margate that they'd pledged fealty back to House Beauclerc as well. The first major resistance came from Ashford, not surprising Sam or Soma at all. Ashford and the surrounding villages were controlled by family of the self-appointed rebel King of England Amadeus Hess, who'd previously governed England for the Empire and declared independence alongside the other rebel lords. He and his family and closest allies would be the biggest hurdle for the North in England, but also one of Brennan Royer's major allies.

The first Riders scouting around Ashford made camp near a little village called Mersham that afternoon, and the vanguard of footsoldiers arrived that evening after an eight-hour march. Everyone was prepared to move fast and hard across England, and the footsoldiers had been training their endurance for months knowing there would be a lot of long marches. As tents were set and meals were made, Sam and Soma were fielding reports and adjusting plans as needed, until a horseman from Ashford came riding into camp with a message from Baron Alban Hess. He warned that Amadeus would know within a few days of the Northerners' presence, and that if they did not turn over traitors and leave immediately, they would face the full might of his extended family and their allies across the isles.

That evening before bed, Sam found his way to Andre and Riley's camp. They shared a central firepit with a few Johania Riders and some Northern, and a few were still up as Sam entered the camp escorted by a couple of Kell's agents. Andre was just pulling off his riding armor, sitting next to Riley in their tent, when he heard a few of their camp-mates address the Commander out of respect. They didn't have their usual ger out, needing a tent that was quick to put up and tear down, so the walls were thin.

"Did you get us in trouble already?" Andre teased Riley with a grin as they heard Sam call out for them.

Riley glanced up at Andre as he teased her about trouble, her Da's voice calling through the thin fabric of the tent. She had just pulled off her armor and stacked it neatly, readying to eat a meal before bed. Of course, she rolled her eyes at her betrothed and stood to open the tent flap, welcoming her father inside.

"Tell him that I'm not in trouble." She said to her father, motioning to Andre as she crossed her arms over her chest. "At least no trouble that I'm aware of. I've been on my best behavior all day long."

"You're always in trouble. I just don' know the specifics yet," Sam chuckled lightly, stepping up to kiss Riley's cheek as Andre joined them. "We've got word in from Baron Ashford. He'll be our first point of opposition, sounds like, an' he rang the alarm to London. I don' need to tell you two to be careful, I know. But now tha' everyone's gonna know we're here, we need to be extra vigilant. What I really want to talk to you two about, though, is the plan for tomorrow. Soma's directin' this battle, his first solo fight. He knows you two are fine hit-and-runners, and he wants to use you to cripple Ashford's defenses an' help us avoid an extended siege. We need to move fast across England, so we can't afford to dig in for weeks tryin' to starve out our enemies. He'll give you more details tomorrow, but are you two up for tha'? It'll be dangerous, but Soma's leanin' on your strengths, so you're the best for the job." There was tension visible in Sam, asking his daughter to charge into danger with her fiance. Normally he'd ask Jani, but he knew Riley was trained and ready, and he needed to use all his people and resources to the utmost of their abilities. And he knew, like Jani, she was stubborn enough to see it done no matter what.

“Ah, so I’m the new Jani.” Riley said with a small grin towards her father. “Seems like my soon to be mother in law has rubbed off on me enough that my little brother thinks that I can do the same job.”

“I think we can handle it, Da.” She promised, touching his arm as he promised that there would be more information coming in the morning. “Simple strikes to demoralize. No one gets hurt. I know the routine.”

"If you see anti-dragon weapons or cannons, those are a priority to disable. No' destroy, just break. We may need to make use of 'em if Hess or Royer have some stubborn Riders." Sam laid a hand on her shoulder and the other on Andre's. "You two 'ave come a long way this past year. You especially, Riley, catchin' up with those who've had a head start. We trust ya to know what to do when you get out there, but just remember you're both Ghis. We strike with you, an' whatever happens, we've got your back."

Sam kissed Riley's cheek and pulled Andre into a brief hug before turning back toward the agents with him. "An' before you go... I managed t'finish a couple projects back in Trondheim between workin' on Fiona's armor."

Each agent pulled a wrapped bundle off their back and handed it over. Inside were new two-handed crossbows with a crank reload mechanism, allowing for much faster reloading without having to drop the weapon and pull the string back by hand. While Sam had been making crossbows with this mechanism for years, this particular design was faster, smoother, and could be collapsed for easier storage during travel.

As they each received their crossbows- one of the cornerstone weapons of a professional Rider- Sam spoke again, "They're lighter an' faster now. Made 'em for Fiona, Ezra, an' Jani too. Even figured out a one-handed smaller design for Soma just in case. Use 'em if you have to tomorrow, but only t'protect yourselves an' your partners."

"No wonder you're always so damn tired," Andre chuckled, clicking a mechanism on the crossbow that caused the limbs to collapse and fold in, making it less cumbersome to store. "Thank you, Sam."

"Thank Soma, he came up with the design." Sam smiled to himself before turning to the two agents. "We'd better get back to Castle Dover before Kell thinks I've run off. See you tomorrow, kids." With that, he headed back up the hill toward Dover proper.

Riley looked over the work of art that was her new crossbow. She admired every little detail, smiling as she noticed the Ghis crest on it. She would never know where he got his energy from nor how he split all his time between his forge, their Ma, and his children. Carefully, she stored it away and turned to look at Andre as he was doing the same.

“He loves you like a son.” She said, knowing that he was aware of that fact. “And he wants to make sure that you’re safe.”

She leaned in and kissed his cheek before she moved towards their rations and started to pull out things for a simple meal. “Give me half an hour and I’ll have us something to eat. Then we can sleep before our duties begin.”

Back at Dover Castle, Fiona had finally come in with Schaller, taking her stacks of letters and her meal to her room. When Sam came back, she was resting her leg with a thick poltice that Alex had sent with her for those times when she was too sore and stiff. She was drinking her tea as she sorted through her letters, laughing as she came across one just for Sam.

“Special delivery just for you, love.” She said as he stepped into the room. “For your eyes only as instructed by Miss Tatianna Ghis.”

As Sam entered and began setting aside his armor, he paused in the middle of taking pieces off as he heard Fiona laugh. Only hesitating to put his chestplate aside, he smiled and stepped over to Fiona's side. "Best get to it right away, then." He plucked the letter from her hand and settled into a chair to open it up. "I imagine she started thinkin' up things to write th'instant we left."

Opening the letter from Rhett that came with Tati's letter, Fiona found herself smiling as she looked over at Sam. She was sure that her letter held the same news.

"The Voya has been in an uproar this morning as Invah took to her nest. By midnight, it was clear that she was soon to have her egg. Delivered safely this morning by dawn, a large teal dragon egg as found wrapped in Invah's soft scales. Mother, egg, and father are all well. Members of the guard are taking shifts to ensure that she is well protected as she and Gaiann wait for the little egg to hatch." Fiona read softly, looking up at Sam with a grin. "We miss all the excitement."

Sam smiled fondly as he read over Tatiana's letter reporting much of the same news from the little kit's own perspective. "Says she got t'visit Invah once everything quieted down. Rode with Glaynviahr out to the valley lake an' Gaiann told her all about how they built the nest. She says Invah has an underwater nest too, as a backup." Reclining back in the chair, Sam shook his head with a grin. "I'm sure Aela and Skald's little ones'll be hatching in the next week or so. Tati'll be writing Soma good long letter about that. Invah's will probably take a couple months, from what I understand about eggs from Rory."

Looking over to his wife, Sam's expression softened. "I know Invah's always been like a mother to you. This little dragon'll be born into quite the interesting family, with a damn good sister waiting for it."

Fiona laughed as Sam told her that she would be a good sister for that little dragon and she carefully folded up Rhett's letter, looking over at her husband. "You know, as often as you protest your role as King, today proved that you make a good one. You did everything in your power to make sure that this operation went off without a hitch and that everyone came back safely. I know you feel most at home in your forge or playing the role of my husband and protector, but I'm proud of you, Sam. I'm the luckiest woman in the world to get to call you my husband."

"I still have my doubts an' worries," Sam admitted softly, but with a smile. "But all I can do is try my best, I suppose. It's good t'know I'm managing alright in your eyes." He would never accept much praise, but it was clear since the turn of the tide against the Empire thanks to Soma's careful manipulation of the old Council, and the onset of plague in the south, that Sam was beginning to accept that he was a capable Commander again.

Sam rose from his seat to cast off the last of his armor. He pulled the tie from his long hair and came to Fiona's side, kneeling to lay his head against her thigh opposite the dark scar from her run-in with the former Archduke of Austria. "I love you," he murmured, taking her hand and brushing his thumb over the back of her knuckles. "You're a better partner than I ever dared t'hope I'd have. Even after we married, I could never 'ave imagined how strong we'd become together."

“And you, my stubborn, bullheaded, infuriating husband, never gave up that chase.” Fiona said as she set aside her work and let her fingers smooth through his long hair. “I’m forever grateful that you chased me over that hill and knocked some sense into me that day in the woods.”

She often wondered if all of their familiar sights were still there. Was anything left over her grandfather’s cabin after so long? Was the wilderness still scarred from where it had burned as she faced off against Barbarossa? Was the loch still was peaceful and mysterious as it always was? It was things that she had wondered quietly for 20 years, thoughts shared by many others on their own as well.

“What are the odds among the officers that I get a matching scar this time around?” She asked to lighten the mood.

"Pretty damn high, I imagine," he chuckled. "I'm expectin' a few fer both of us when we do somethin' stupid an' stubborn." He lifted his head and reached up to cup her cheek. "I know it'll happen. Jus' take me along with you when you do it."

“Ooohhh….so now you want to join me in something reckless?” Fiona teased as he touched her cheek and she smiled down at him. “I’m not sure if I can agree to that. You’re the worst kind of spoil sport.”

"I'm not encouraging it, just tellin' you not to do your nonsense alone. We all know where Riley's wild streak came from." He leaned up and pulled her closer to steal a kiss, her face cupped in both his hands. "You love t'chase trouble, darlin'. An' tha' damned dragon o' yours always helps. No doubt he's waitin' for a chance to show off in front of Dzana. But, thankfully, she's just as angry and stubborn as him, and she'll help me one-up both o' you." Sam chuckled and stood, making his way toward the door that led to the bedroom.

Fiona watched Sam retreat into the bedroom with a smile, the sounds of him getting ready for bed soon following. Her smile slowly faded as she looked at her stack of letters. The stack would keep her awake for hours, mindlessly looking over things that might not even be important. She promised herself that it wasn’t going to be like this.

Gathering her dinner, her grandfather’s book of poems, and her nighttime tea, she made her way into the bedroom. “Want to pick up where we left off?” She asked as she offered him the book and slipped beneath the covers with the tray between them. “Letters and orders can wait for tomorrow.”

"Ephriam's poems helpin' you dream of home?" Sam asked with a smile, settling back against the pillows and headboard, wearing only trousers to bed. He lit an extra candle from the bedside table and laid it in an empty spot on the tray, and opened the book to their most recent bookmark. They'd both read the poems many times over the years, but had only recently begun going through the books together, with one of Vincenzo's journals here and there as well.

“No. They give me an excuse to spend time with my husband.” She said as she settled into her spot and sipped on her tea as Sam started to read.

His voice was always soothing and she loved to mindlessly listen to him. She ate part of her meal, but soon felt herself drifting off, sound asleep within moments as the words of her grandfather’s poems raced through her head.

Early the next morning, the Northern vanguard started their march toward Ashford, while Riders went ahead to scout and make hit-and-runs against the Baron's defenses to scare his forces into surrendering or fleeing. Soma went with a number of Riders and agents to set up a forward camp and instruct the first guerilla fighters. It was mid-morning when Andre and Riley arrived at Soma's war tent along with a few other Riders from across the North and Empire.

Young Soma Ghis, only fifteen, had gone through a huge growth spurt the past year, and his training was causing him to fill out handsomely. Instead of the skinny, short boy he'd been most of his life so far, he was starting to show the classic Ghis musculature and he would surely get much taller like his father and grandfather in the next few years. He already outsized some of the smaller Ghis women, and was now of equal height to Andre. Dressed in his dark blue and black Northern uniform with a black cloak draped over his back and missing arm, his platinum-blond hair ruffled and the first hints of proper stubble coming in, he struck a confident and sure figure that he'd only found in himself the past year.

"Morning," Andre spoke up as they stepped in to see Soma standing before a large map of southern England and other charts and documents. Young Brogan was at his side, more and more like his father every day as he kept close watch with his fellow agents, all of them dressed in solid black. He too had filled out a bit more, but as he'd matured, his fur had become a bit coarser and sleeker. If not for Kell's hints of grey in his own fur and mane, he and Brogan would've been nearly identical.

"Morning," Soma greeted in his deepening voice, looking between Andre and Riley, and then to the other Riders who came in behind them. He addressed Lukas Bergsholt first, the German Rider whom Andre had handed the Johania Riders over to. Soma spoke in rapid German, having focused hard on learning the language so he could work without a translator. Lukas nodded, and turned to head out with the Johania Riders a moment later. He made sure to pat Andre's shoulder as he passed. Soma looked to the rest and repeated in English, "The Johania Riders will pair off and run overwatch, and drop in to help anyone who needs it, Rider or footman. The rest of you will have more specific tasks, and then join them when you're done."

Turning to regard Tanya who'd arrived with some of her Alstadt Riders, Soma continued, "The Alstadt will back the ground vanguard, and specifically focus on the walltops and bastions when a fight breaks out. Avoid damaging civilian structures or farms. That's extremely important. We're not going to use fear and devastation here. Only soldiers and the Baron's properties are to be targeted."

"No collateral, got it," Tanya confirmed. "I'll be checking in every so often and have a few Riders aside for task forces if you need them."

"Good, that'll come in handy. Give me their names once you've instructed the rest." Soma nodded to Tanya as she headed out of the tent as well. Soma doled out orders to a few individuals and teams, until only Fiona's officers and Andre and Riley were left before his table.

"Jani," Soma looked to the Icelandic veteran who looked ready to rip into Ashford with glee. "Ma's given me command of Ezra, Dani, and Costa's teams today, and you. And we've got Andre and Riley." Looking to his sister, Soma offered a small smirk. "I want Riley and Jani in the lead to do what they do best: harass and annoy."

"I'll assume that's a compliment in this situation, young pup," Jani chuckled with a grin.

"Not so sure it is," Andre snorted, laughing to himself.

"Jani, you'll take Costa and Dani. Their teams will be acting separately, so it'll be just the three of you. Riley, the same for you with Andre and Ezra. Both teams will be running guerilla tactics. You hit their weapons or larger groups of soldiers, and flee. Scare the hell out of them. The more afraid the soldiers get, the more likely they are to defect, especially considering some of them will already have strained loyalties to the Imperial rebels. Do what you feel will cause the most damage to their defenses, and terrify them the most. But again, do not harm civilians, homes, or farms. With Ma and Da at the head of the North, we're still repairing the reputation von Morden spread about them. If we show normal people that we care about their wellbeing, others will join us without a fight and that will destroy the foundations that the rebel lords stand upon."

"Destroy weapons, scare the cannon fodder, spare the rest," Jani repeated in short order before turning to Dani and Costa who waited beside her. "Alright, lovers. Let's sew some chaos."

"And Costa, Dani," Soma called before the trio could leave. "I know things have been strained with your son, but I think he's proven himself in how hard he's been working since. Both your boys are welcome to join the Johania Riders and learn from Lukas."

Danica looked to Costa, quiet. Their little family had nearly fallen apart after she'd chosen to defend her traitor son and Costa nearly disowned him. But the rift had been healing well, and Costa had begun acting like he had two sons again, instead of just one. "We'll offer them the option," Costa murmured, wrapping an arm around Danica's shoulders before they stepped out with Jani.

Ezra placed his hands on Andre and Riley's shoulders, looking to Riley in particular. "Well, it looks like you're my Captain today, Miss Ghis. Lead on."

Back