Random Gamer Silliness

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAH! Just killed Ifrit in hard mode in FFXIV, two more fights and I'll have my relic weapon. :cool:

I had a LOT of fun with D&D.

Eventually I had to leave because the cleric and the warrior sat on either side of me and kept passing notes asking me out (they were actually really funny and I'm sure I have them somewhere) and I just wanted to play a game, not be in the middle of some weird "let me throw myself in front of you!" "No me!" "No! She's mine!" "Guys, you're blocking my spell..." weirdness.

Oh the absolute horror of being a girl gamer. :rolleyes:

He was an ass and his wife played with us and the more good stuff she got, the worse he treated the rest of us. She was an immortal bard with a unicorn and a way out of everything or he got "the look" and the more he got "the look" the more the rest of us suffered.

He had me turned into a vampire once just because I wanted to ask EVERYBODY about vampire lore and he got irritated.

LOL. All of our DMs are asses in their own way. One never gives us gear or money so we all end up playing Monks and shit when he DMs so we can at least have good equipment because we are equipment.

One hates to railroad us and as a result he often forgets to give us much direction so we spend forever trying to find the plot.

One builds really big intricate casts and then gets pissed off when we either don't bother meeting them or worse casually off them because they got between us and something we wanted.

Oh the absolute horror of being a girl gamer. :rolleyes:

LOL. All of our DMs are asses in their own way. One never gives us gear or money so we all end up playing Monks and shit when he DMs so we can at least have good equipment because we are equipment.

One hates to railroad us and as a result he often forgets to give us much direction so we spend forever trying to find the plot.

One builds really big intricate casts and then gets pissed off when we either don't bother meeting them or worse casually off them because they got between us and something we wanted.

I had fun! I just didn't want to have that much fun.

It's interesting how the hardest core gamers think that suffering is required.

I had fun! I just didn't want to have that much fun.

It's interesting how the hardest core gamers think that suffering is required.

It depends on our mood to some extent but yeah, hardcore gamers have fun being punished. There's a reason why we love Megaman or in DnD terms doing the survival scenario where it is vital that you cover your details because you might have to pick up and go at a moment's notice.

It depends on our mood to some extent but yeah, hardcore gamers have fun being punished. There's a reason why we love Megaman or in DnD terms doing the survival scenario where it is vital that you cover your details because you might have to pick up and go at a moment's notice.

I remember that Wizardry had an "Iron Man" mode...no saving. That's like a 100 hour game...WTF?

See that's absurd. Who the fuck has a week off? Sure you can leave the system on but at that point saving would be nice. I get the one life runs and shit, though I rarely do them because most games have some BS point where you're gonna die.

See that's absurd. Who the fuck has a week off? Sure you can leave the system on but at that point saving would be nice. I get the one life runs and shit, though I rarely do them because most games have some BS point where you're gonna die.

That's what I mean. I do love games and I do love challenge, but I don't like masochism. I really do like the fact that games have gotten more fun and with more content because they're not just relying on killing you every five minutes.

Well that's in large part because games are no long designed primarily for the arcade where if you weren't dying you weren't paying. It's taken a while for them to get past that mentality and in some ways they still haven't but there's that.

I'm down for the hard mode, I like being challenged. It's why I tend to pick up Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, and Megaman games. I like getting to the end and being able to do the victory dance and knowing that not everybody can rock the way that I rock.

I also like big sprawling games with lots to explore. Elder Scrolls (even if I never beat them), Grand Theft Auto (Even if 4 sucked terribly), Endless Ocean (even if I'm tired of fucking angry sharks), Fable (Mostly because it's polite enough to hold my hand and tell me where to go.)

Well that's in large part because games are no long designed primarily for the arcade where if you weren't dying you weren't paying. It's taken a while for them to get past that mentality and in some ways they still haven't but there's that.

I'm down for the hard mode, I like being challenged. It's why I tend to pick up Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, and Megaman games. I like getting to the end and being able to do the victory dance and knowing that not everybody can rock the way that I rock.

I also like big sprawling games with lots to explore. Elder Scrolls (even if I never beat them), Grand Theft Auto (Even if 4 sucked terribly), Endless Ocean (even if I'm tired of fucking angry sharks), Fable (Mostly because it's polite enough to hold my hand and tell me where to go.)

Yeah, I like the variety of games.

For a few years there the only thing I had to play was Final Fantasy Tactics....

I never really got into that particular game. I think it being a knock off of Tactics Ogre kinda turned me off to it at the time.

I never really got into that particular game. I think it being a knock off of Tactics Ogre kinda turned me off to it at the time.

Really? I never thought about it that way. Game tile options were so limited, it seemed like there were a gazillion games just like that. Was Tactics Ogre first?

Really? I never thought about it that way. Game tile options were so limited, it seemed like there were a gazillion games just like that. Was Tactics Ogre first?

It was the first one I was exposed to I'd have to check the dates to know which game came first. I for the life of me can't name a third tactics style game though.

It was the first one I was exposed to I'd have to check the dates to know which game came first. I for the life of me can't name a third tactics style game though.

You're right, they're close, but Tactics Ogre was a year earlier.

But I do remember having game rentals and seeing a lot of similar games. But nobody else had a Calculator class!

Random weird-ass damage that you can't predict but you have the capacity to wipe out a lot of people at once.

Wow. It felt like they were farther apart than that but then again I didn't have a PS1 so I only got to play those games when I went over to a friends house.

I'm not a huge fan of random stuff in strategy style games. I like that in Pokemon for example I can (assuming I don't get a crit) know in advance exactly how much damage I'm about to do. Granted my mental math skills tend to be more rounding to a general neighborhood but it's nice to be able to look at a situation and know how screwed you are or aren't.

Wow. It felt like they were farther apart than that but then again I didn't have a PS1 so I only got to play those games when I went over to a friends house.

I'm not a huge fan of random stuff in strategy style games. I like that in Pokemon for example I can (assuming I don't get a crit) know in advance exactly how much damage I'm about to do. Granted my mental math skills tend to be more rounding to a general neighborhood but it's nice to be able to look at a situation and know how screwed you are or aren't.

Yeah, they were really not for the...strategically minded, but they were just so very freaky.

And having played that game to death, I can still see a lot of it in the Final Fantasy I'm playing now.

I miss Tactics Ogre though. Good game and it's a shame the franchise didn't survive.

Well the company went out of business a few years back if I'm not mistaken. I'm shocked that nobody bought that franchise though.

Well the company went out of business a few years back if I'm not mistaken. I'm shocked that nobody bought that franchise though.

It's amazing that Final Fantasy wrote the name of their game because they were going out of business if the game didn't sell.

Good for you guys. I'm pretty loyal to Square Enix for doing a lot of innovative stuff and although I didn't like all of it...I appreciate that they did it and that they kept doing it.

Now if they'd just add more quests to their damned game I'd be just fine.

I kinda hate Square Enix to be perfectly honest. I still buy their products from time to time but Square Enix is a beast that should never have been allowed to happen and I suspect that a lot of their recent "missteps" are due to the fact that they really don't have any competition left.

I do commend them on being brave enough to try new things over the years though.

I kinda hate Square Enix to be perfectly honest. I still buy their products from time to time but Square Enix is a beast that should never have been allowed to happen and I suspect that a lot of their recent "missteps" are due to the fact that they really don't have any competition left.

I do commend them on being brave enough to try new things over the years though.

Well, for me it's also the fact that they, like Bioware, have gone out of their way to make gaming more customized for women and gay people. That's a big deal. In this game they went out of their way to make NPC's that are sexually ambiguous and androgynous and you can also create characters that way. That's a big deal for me.

I think that's just their art style. They've always been a bit androgynous. That said they do good work over all I'm just not a fan of monopolies and that's pretty much what they have. And it's hard to imagine that they were hurting prior.

I think that's just their art style. They've always been a bit androgynous. That said they do good work over all I'm just not a fan of monopolies and that's pretty much what they have. And it's hard to imagine that they were hurting prior.

Well, their first online game sucked. It started after Warcraft and failed long before. They have a lot of competition and there's no guarantee this game will stick. Lots of big games have gone under because they just don't have enough content and players either go back to something like Warcraft and EQ2 that have been around for years or on to the next flash in the pan.

There's no real guarantee that they'll be a hit.

Well I meant more in the RPG market they clearly don't have a monopoly in the MMO market. But that's the house that Warcraft built and I doubt anybody will take it from them though at some point WoW has to die.

Well I meant more in the RPG market they clearly don't have a monopoly in the MMO market. But that's the house that Warcraft built and I doubt anybody will take it from them though at some point WoW has to die.

Not anytime soon, they're doing good stuff. At their next expansion I'll be right back on board.

Weird thing is that Warcraft and EQ2 started as different games...but used so much of each other's content that they resemble twins after all these years.

Now I can see that some people on both of those games are going to want auto-loot the same way that Final Fantasy does it.

They all compete and have mostly the same gamer base and they are all asked for the same things. But EQ2 has housing and Warcraft has their own Pokémon sort of thing going on, and they still manage to innovate while tightening up the core gameplay over time.

Going back to play a game where a lot of the bugs have been worked out is why they have such a fan base...new games come out but don't have the content or refinement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back