Quirky women

0001-02_1200.jpg

The cheeseburger reference was tied into the reference to models and modeling, which has a culture of bulimia and other eating disorders, where women feel as if they have to do such things to be the human clothes hangers that the industry largely has wanted, though that is changing somewhat. It wasn’t a reference to thin women in general. If it’s seen as shaming, I apologize. But it was a specific, not a general
I understand the intent and didn’t question what you meant. I almost PM’d you after I made the comment.

Anecdata here: I’m the parent of a size 0 daughter who wears a 35” inseam. People call her anorexic. People tell her to eat cheeseburgers. The girl EATS. She’s also hypoglycemic and she eats often. She gained 10 pounds in the past several months and fucking celebrated. Her body type is her body type, and she has an unbelievably fast metabolism, always has. She’s not alone in her struggles and people are quite rude to her.

I have a close friend who stays a size 3-5 no matter what she eats or does. Her labwork is terrible and her drs caution her all the time about health risks. She’s not automatically healthy just because she’s thin.

I’m overweight and my labwork is amazing. “People would pay for these labs,” my dr said.

We cannot tell how healthy someone is just by looking at them and weight is not the only important measure (this part addressed to the supposed trainer (or something related) above.

I understand the intent and didn’t question what you meant. I almost PM’d you after I made the comment.

Anecdata here: I’m the parent of a size 0 daughter who wears a 35” inseam. People call her anorexic. People tell her to eat cheeseburgers. The girl EATS. She’s also hypoglycemic and she eats often. She gained 10 pounds in the past several months and fucking celebrated. Her body type is her body type, and she has an unbelievably fast metabolism, always has. She’s not alone in her struggles and people are quite rude to her.

I have a close friend who stays a size 3-5 no matter what she eats or does. Her labwork is terrible and her drs caution her all the time about health risks. She’s not automatically healthy just because she’s thin.

I’m overweight and my labwork is amazing. “People would pay for these labs,” my dr said.

We cannot tell how healthy someone is just by looking at them and weight is not the only important measure (this part addressed to the supposed trainer (or something related) above.
I've got to ask, how the hell do you think you are overweight? I've not seen MANY pics of you but a couple over the years and unless they were all very old pictures, there is no way you qualify as 'overweight'.

I've got to ask, how the hell do you think you are overweight? I've not seen MANY pics of you but a couple over the years and unless they were all very old pictures, there is no way you qualify as 'overweight'.
I’m happy with my size and curves. I’m about 25 pounds higher than my recommended weight, though. :) My height holds it well, lol, and a good chunk of it has to be the boobs.

I’m happy with my size and curves. I’m about 25 pounds higher than my recommended weight, though. :) My height holds it well, lol, and a good chunk of it has to be the boobs.

I wish we lived in a world that did not teach people that being 25lbs over the 'ideal weight' (which isn't actually, BMI is bullshit) over the age of 30 and after having kids, is somehow a terrible sin and detracts from natural beauty. I have too many friends who think they are fat when they are by no means anything but perfect. I say this as a man who is at last weighing 329 lbs. (and considered ugly as sin because of it)

I wish we lived in a world that did not teach people that being 25lbs over the 'ideal weight' (which isn't actually, BMI is bullshit) over the age of 30 and after having kids, is somehow a terrible sin and detracts from natural beauty. I have too many friends who think they are fat when they are by no means anything but perfect. I say this as a man who is at last weighing 329 lbs. (and considered ugly as sin because of it)
Oh, I agree. I’m not bothered by it. Just a statement of fact for me. I do have two kids and love that my body made them. :) Shaming women for these bodies is the issue to me.

My guy has extra to hold on to. Plenty of us like those bodies, too.

As a lesbian who is four foot eight and weighs seventy five pounds I am used to people thinking I must be anorexic and making judgements based on their assessment of my appearance. I'd like to say it's their problem, except it isn't, as it impacts on how some people react to me. Live and let live is what I say, love is stronger than hate - and do not judge a book by its cover. I love the shape of the quirky women I post here - they are taller than me, but a similar shape, and like me, don't easily fit into other categories popular on the Forum.
e4642f3473adcabda9b461638c44d6fe.jpg

Not trying to be difficult here, but what is this thread's definition of 'quirky'? Like, if I wanted to add pics, I genuinely wouldn't know what the criteria would be.

You absolutely cannot. As someone who fought cancer and managed to hit the gym 3x a week or more all during chemo - and who knows many people going through the same thing - you have no idea how fit, healthy, or strong anyone is based on looks. And thinking you do makes you a shitty trainer.
Im not a trainer, I have my doctorate in physical therapy, been practicing for 30 years and I can tell from a 2 min observation from a person's body type, movement pattern, weight distribution, dynamic balance, posture and speed of movement in a general sense ( Im a being very specific here) as to a person's health status and fitness level. I then have to do much more detailed testing to get specific and to discover less obvious strengths or weaknesses.
You fought Cancer, great for you. You got to the gym during chemo, great for you, you made acquaintances during a difficult time, great for you. It hardly makes you a better judge of these things when compared to someone like myself who has been trained in schools and teaching hospitals and has literally seen 1000's of patients over the years. So before you attack someone, get all the facts.

Skinny does not automatically correlate to being healthy and strong. Skinny women can have some of the worst labs ever and overweight women can be overall healthy. If you are actually a trainer, your clients need to find someone better.

Also, saying “eat a cheeseburger” about a thin woman is also body shaming, everyone. Some women have super high metabolisms and they struggle to gain weight even while trying to gain.

Lit is not the place for shaming of any bodies. If it continues, the posts will be removed.
I said this was a skinny forum, not a quirky forum. Never mentioned that skinny correlated with being healthy and strong.[ show me a copy of it if Im wrong.], Never said anyone should "eat a cheeseburger" [show me a copy of it if Im wrong]. Never claimed to be a trainer [Im a DPT]. Pointing out truths about body types is not shaming in my opinion, and no amount of attempted bullying is going to get me to back down or change my mind. State facts and maybe we can have a discussion.

Im not a trainer, I have my doctorate in physical therapy, been practicing for 30 years and I can tell from a 2 min observation from a person's body type, movement pattern, weight distribution, dynamic balance, posture and speed of movement in a general sense ( Im a being very specific here) as to a person's health status and fitness level. I then have to do much more detailed testing to get specific and to discover less obvious strengths or weaknesses.
You fought Cancer, great for you. You got to the gym during chemo, great for you, you made acquaintances during a difficult time, great for you. It hardly makes you a better judge of these things when compared to someone like myself who has been trained in schools and teaching hospitals and has literally seen 1000's of patients over the years. So before you attack someone, get all the facts.
I go to PT almost every week. And I have a personal trainer. Neither of these people know ANYTHING about my actual health.
A very popular peloton instructor - fit, gorgeous, etc - also recently finished breast cancer treatment. Susan Summers announced she has breast cancer again. You have absolutely no idea how healthy someone is by looking at them.
You can get a sense of their mobility, sure. You have zero idea what’s going on inside their bodies. Do you think three weeks before I was diagnosed, a fucking physical therapist could have known? No. Know why? Because you don’t know someone’s HEALTH STATUS by looking at them. And unless you also are a pathologist and radiologist and surgeon, you have no clue what is going on other than someone’s mobility. If you saw an amputee limping in their prosthetics, their mobility isn’t great but their overall health may be stellar. Meanwhile, you going have pancreatic cancer right now and not know.

Bottom line: Arrogance makes you a horrible provider of any care.

And this is why I teach my child, and do my best to practice, not commenting on anyone’s appearance. Comments about being ‘too thin’ are just as damaging as comments about too fat. There is thin privilege and all that, but at the individual level, it’s all damaging.

Back