Past Love Lost (closed)

He was leaving it up to her? Well, not up to her but asking for her insight...? Dani immediately flinched and shrugged as she pushed off of him. She wasn't mad or upset. She was just unsure. She sat next to him on the couch, not as close as she was before. "Well..." she started as she was also thinking of what to say. Seb could do either but the Dallas FD sounded dangerous...then again, so did the Dallas PD. And again, she knew he could do both. "If you wait for the police to call you back, you could miss out on a good opportunity with the fire department but then again, you could miss a good opportunity with the police..."

"Both are dangerous Seb... I just want to say that with either, I would be worried but, I know you'd be great at both, no question about it..." her stomach rumbled and she smiled, "I was going to get some shopping done, especially for some groceries... let's go grab some lunch and talk about it perhaps? Then I can show you around some parts of the city." She held her hand out for his and he took it as she stood and led him to her car.

Dani chose a small, local burger place, where she and Seb could sit outside in the shady corner and talk. "As for the living situation... that offer is still on the table. I don't want to make you think you have to move in... I mean, I know the consequences if something were to happen should we not be compatible living together at that moment in time. And for that, I think...think we'll be OK. Like I said, there is the spare room but if you don't think it's right or I'm moving too fast, then tell me Seb. I'm not fragile."

"What do you want to do about the job? I'll support you no matter what. I know you'll do good in either but... I'm not going to lie. The police force? That sounds just... dangerous..." Was she being selfish? Probably but he had wanted her insight and she gave it. "What about you? What do you want?"

Dani brought up some of the same things that had been running through his mind. "I know that both jobs are dangerous Dani, but they aren't as dangerous as what I have been doing since high school. Plus, what choices do I have? What jobs am I qualified for? I didn't go to college." He was a little disappointed when Dani climbed off his lap. He felt he had done something to offend her. "I also know that Fire rescue is a sure thing and if I hesitate while waiting for PD, I could lose it, and then, what if PD never comes through."

Sitting outside at the burger place Sebastian looked into Dani's eyes. "Dani, I just want you to be sure you are okay with it. I have no problem being close to you. I don't think you are moving too fast. Hell, we are just trying to make up for the last 10 years that we have been apart. Oh, and I know you are not fragile Dani. You are far from that."

"I am leaning toward Fire Rescue. I can use some of the skills I developed while in the military. We had to take care of our own when we were on a mission. I know I could bring that to the job. I think I am going to take their offer. I just wanted to get input from you, because this is a decision that effects both of us, and I didn't want to just do it and drop it on you."

They finished their burgers and headed for the grocery store. On the way back to Dani's house after grocery shopping, Trevor took out his phone and called to accept the position with Dallas Fire Rescue. He smiled at Dani as he spoke. After hanging up, he leaned over and kissed Dani on the cheek. I have to get a physical tomorrow. They are expediting me and putting me in a training class that starts in 2 weeks."

“I just think that would be the most sensible course of action Seb,” Dani said in response to him moving in. “Like I said, I can help you find a place but by the time you move in and start a job, and then we decide it’s time…” she just stopped and shook her head, “Sorry, I’m rambling… the point is, I know I’m going to be OK with it.”

Dani was fine with either choice and he was right, they were both dangerous but he had been dangerous situations before. Hell, look what happened back in the desert.

That and she was certain he would look good in either uniform.. he even looked good today, as always. One of the things he had always made sure to do was dress nice. He was never a fashion victim like the other guys growing up.

At the grocery store, Dani had her list and stuck to it. She had a few staples she relied on when she made dinner, the only thing she did different was double up on a lot of the items… just in case Seb did decide to take her up on her offer. Her go-to meals were to make a lot for dinner and have extra for lunch. It worked so far. She wasn’t a picky eater, but she did prefer home cooking to eating out which is what the other nurses like to do a lot.

She listened to his end of the call as he accepted the fire rescue position. She leaned into his kiss and then rested her head on his shoulder as he explained about the physical he was going to get tomorrow. “Where are they doing the physical?” She asked. He told her the address and Dani nodded, “Oh, I know where that is, I can take you if you want? I don’t return back to work for a few more days.” She took his hand in hers and she continued to rest against him.

Sebastian knew that Dani wanted him to move in with her. Sebastian wanted that too. He knew that if he told Dani he wanted to live somewhere else, she would say she was okay with it, but really she wouldn't be. Sebastian wanted this to work between them. "I will move in with you Dani, but separate bedrooms to start. Of course, if you want to visit my bedroom, you are welcome. After all, it is your house."

He loved how Dani leaned into him as they drove "home" from the grocery store. He never realized how much of a fool he was for walking away from her like he did. He wanted to make up for lost time. He wanted Dani to be happy, and he wanted her to be happy with him.

"Well, if you take me to the physical then maybe we can go to lunch after... my treat. I want you to pick the nicest restaurant for us to have lunch. One that you have really wanted to go to but haven't been there yet. We are going to celebrate. I think that we have a lot to celebrate, don't you Dani?"

When they got back to the house, Sebastian carried the groceries into the house and placed them on the kitchen counter. He helped Dani put the groceries away; following her directions as she pointed to where things went. After everything was put away, he took Dani in his arms and looked into her eyes. "This is going to work... US. I am committed to making it work Dani. It is the reason I came to Dallas. I want to be with you."

After dinner that evening, they sat on the sofa and watched television. Sebastian had no idea what was on. Most of the evening was spent talking to Dani, and kissing her, and just looking at her. It felt so right to be with her. At the end of the night, Dani shut the television off and they walked toward the bedrooms. Sebastian took Dani in his arms and kissed her. "Goodnight Dani. I will see you in the morning. The physical is scheduled for 9 and I would like to be there around 8:45."

He kissed Dani once more before heading off to his bedroom. He really wanted to be going to the bedroom with Dani, but they had agreed they would have separate rooms to start. After undressing to just his boxerbriefs, Sebastian went into the bathroom to brush his teeth and get ready to bed.... returning to his room when he was finished. Climbing into bed, he imagined Dani getting into bed.. wondering what she wore to bed. It was a wonderful picture that ran through his mind.

It felt weird to have Seb so close after the two of them had been apart for so long.... he was so close and yes, she could have taken him up on his offer to go to his room but for some reason, it didn't feel right. She wanted the time to feel right. Yes, she had missed him but she agreed to take it slow. They had time to build up their relationship a little more, get to know each other on an adult level... not like had they been in high school...

In the morning, Dani's internal clock woke her up at 5AM. She didn't think anything of it and got up, getting ready for the day. She didn't really think about what she was wearing (a tank top and shorts) as she went to make some coffee. She needed some coffee as her body started to get back into rhythm now that she was home. Seb wanted to be there early so that meant they would need to leave at least by 7:30am. Just to be on the safe side. Yes, it was early but in Dallas, there was no real set time for rush hour.

When the coffee was ready, Dani was leaning against the kitchen counter, looking at the news on her phone, scrolling through meaningless articles.

Sasha had sent her texts over night telling her she was doing OK and would let her know more later when she had time...

His first night sleeping at Dani's house was restless. He still had a hard time calling it his place. Dani had done everything to get the house, and he was just living with her now. That was what was running through his head all night. He wanted badly for it to be their place, but it would take a little time.

When he finally got our of bed in the morning, he put on a pair pf gym shorts and a t-shirt, and went out to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Normally, he would be looking to have a cup of coffee or six, but with his physical this morning, he did not want to be artificially stimulated. He would get coffee afterward.

Sebastian walked into the kitchen and was surprised to see Dani was already awake and standing there on her phone. He stopped and looked at her leaning against the kitchen counter in a tank top and shorts. Damn, she looked so good.

"Good morning Beautiful. What are you doing up so early?" Sebastian smiled at her as he walked over and kissed her on the cheek. He couldn't help but let his eyes wander over her wonderful body before opening cabinets as he looked for a glass to get his water.

Standing next to Dani, also leaning against the counter, Sebastian took a sip of water. "So, what time do you think we should leave to get there this morning. By the way, thank you for offering to take me. It isn't necessary, but I am happy that you are taking me, because it gives me an opportunity to spend more time with you."

Bumping her with his hip, he smiled at her. "Don't forget, you have to pick a restaurant for lunch that you have wanted to go to, but haven't been to yet. I want to take you there and enjoy it with you."

After coming out of the physical that he knew he would pass with flying colors, Sebastian gave Dani a hug. "Okay gorgeous, let's eat, i am starved and I want to celebrate that I am going to be starting at the Fire Academy in less than 2 weeks. Things are really looking up."

"2 weeks?!" Dani exclaimed and hugged Sebastian, kissing his cheek. He mentioned he was starving and it was just a little past 11, it would have to be brunch but that was fine. Dani thought a moment, even though he said to pick something earlier, she hadn't really thought about it as she was nervous for him to past his physical. "Mmm... how about Carters? It's a small steakhouse and well, it's not fancy but I heard from co-workers their steaks are amazing."

When they got there, it was in a small neighborhood where other small shops where located. The lighting was a bit dark and could be called romantic...?

When they were seated, there were only a few others there, and they were handed their menus. She hadn't picked the place because it wasn't too expensive, but because she had heard good things about it and never really had the time or reason to go there.

"So, tell me what did they do at your physical. What do you think you'll do at the academy?"

"I told you Dani, you pick the place. I don't care what it is where it is, or what it costs. I want to go someplace with you that you have never been, but have wanted to go. I am not going to have any role in choosing the restaurant where we eat."

Once they were at Carter's, Sebastian took the seat next to Dani instead of sitting across from her. He would have preferred a booth, but the table was just fine. Sebastian smiled as Dani fired one question after another at him. He was really happy that she was excited about the career that he was about to embark on.

"Why don't we take a minute to look at the menus and order, and then I will answer any questions you may have." He looked at Dani and was very happy to be sitting here with her. It had been a long time coming.

Once they had ordered, Sebastian took Dani's hand. "It is crazy how fast everything is moving. They are moving me into a training class that has been set for well over a month. I am an add-on to the class."

He took a sip of water. I think there is going to be a lot of book work and a lot of physical training. The PT I am not worried about. My life in the military was all about PT. It will be the book work that will be the most challenging, and I am pretty sure I can handle that."

He paused a minute to let Dani digest that. "As for the physical, there was probing and poking and taking vital signs and drawing blood and peeing in a cup. I think she enjoyed getting to do my physical." He winked and smiled at Dani. Sebastian had a real good feeling about the directions things were going for them.

All the food looked delicious and Dani had a hard time picking out something before settling on the chopped steak with mashed potatoes. Then she took in everything Seb was telling her. She gave his hand a squeeze back after they had ordered, "That's good that it's moving fast though. There is a very big shortage of first responders out there... trust me, I know."

When he told her about his physical, she couldn't help but get a small fleeting moment of jealousy with in her. Yes, Seb was still very handsome and yes it had only been ten or so years... His wink made her melt. It always had. She could be absolutely pissed off at him or just something in general and he would give her that wink...and oh goodness...

"Stop it.." she said quietly and shook her head, "Well, I really am excited for you and very happy things are working out. I don't want to jinx anything but..." she paused, not sure if she should say it, "they are working out so far."

Of course, there was that little voice of doubt in the back of her mind but she ignored it. No, she would not listen to it.

"I thought that after this, I thought I could show you around the place, at least some of the more interesting places. Kind of like you're own personal tour guide.. at least until you get to know the city."

It felt so good to be with Dani. He had been responsible for them going their separate ways years before and he hoped that he could make amends for what he had done to her. She deserved me doing everything right for her.

Enjoying their meal together, it was nice to be able to just sit and talk with Dani. Of course, he did flirt with her a little, but he knew she did not mind it. In fact, he was pretty sure that she enjoyed it.

"You can take me anywhere you want, Dani. I would love to see everything that you want to show me. You can be my personal tour guide if you like. I would just be happy to be in your company wherever we go and whatever we do."

When they were finished eating, Sebastian took Dani's hand as they walked out of the restaurant. "Where should we go first Dani? I am at your mercy and will follow you wherever you want to take me." They walked down the street hand in hand; neither of them saying anything. Sebastian was fine with Dani taking him wherever... museums, parks, home.

“Anywhere?” She said, smiling, “You might regret that later.”

As they walked, she gave Seb’s hand a gentle squeeze, “Well, first off…this is a street...” she laughed and leaned her head on his arm, “I’m joking.”

While they continued to walk, Dani let him know a little more about why and how she ended up in Dallas, of all places in the world. She had finally been able to leave home to get away from her abusive father and go to school. Even though she had arrived a couple of months early, she needed to leave. The only regret she had was leaving home without her little sister, but she hadn’t the money to bring her along… at least not yet. So, Dani worked her butt off during the Summer before college started and had sent what she could to her sister to keep and add to her savings.

It seemed to work out in the end, now her sister was off at school and Dani was done with the assignment that helped her pay for her sister’s schooling.

They ended up at a small square and led Seb to sit with her by the fountains, “Right now, we’re super close to the one of the many trauma one hospitals which is why there is so many places to eat.” That’s when it came to her, “Let’s get the car and I can show you where I work?”

He really enjoyed being with Dani. He always thought she was amazing, but now, with everything she had done on her own, he was convinced she was even more amazing than he ever thought. It made him sad, in a way, that he had missed out on those years with her, and he had nobody to blame but himself.

"How am I going to regret spending time with you? Even with your smartass comments?" He smiled at her and bumped his hip into hers; knocking her off stride a little. He took Dani's hand as they began to walk.

"It seems that Dallas is the place to be for a medical professional. It seems like the perfect place for you Dani. You really seem to like it here. I am pretty sure I am going to like it here too... as long as you are still in town."

"Lead the way Dani. I would love to see where you work. You can take me anywhere you want and I will go willingly. I already told you that today is all about you."

Back