Past Love Lost (closed)

He nodded when Dani said that Sasha and her boyfriend probably were not home yet. It brought back memories of his last night with Dani before he went into the military. They had stayed up all night; sitting in his car... talking, kissing, crying. Neither of them had wanted to say goodbye. He shook his head. Thinking to himself, "New beginnings, put the past behind you where it belongs."

It felt so good to hold Dani's hand. Her hand fit perfectly in his. It was right where it belonged. He wondered if they could make a go of it. He certainly hoped so.

Sebastian pulled up to her apartment building and parked. He turned and looked at her. She was so beautiful. "I'll walk you to the door. I am still old fashioned that way, but it will never change."

Exiting the car, he walked around and opened the door for Dani. He helped her out and they walked into her building hand-in-hand. They still hadn't thought about what, if anything, was going to happen between them after tonight. Dani was leaving tomorrow.. taking Sasha to school and then going to Dallas. Sebastian was.... well, that was the big unknown. He had no idea what he was doing. Would he follow Dani to Dallas and try to see if things worked out between them? If he did, would he go right away, or would he give her time to settle in and then go to Dallas? Damned if he knew. Hell, a couple of hours ago, he was certain that Dani was married and had a couple kids. Although, he was very happy to find out that was not the case.

As they got to the door to Dani's apartment, Sebastian turned and faced Dani. He did not want to assume that he would be invited inside. "It was really great to see you tonight Dani. I am glad we both decided to go to the reunion.. even though I never really made it inside. I hope you have a safe trip taking Sasha to school and then to Dallas." He paused and took out his cell phone. "I still have the same number. How about you? I thought that maybe we could stay in touch, and maybe..."

No, nothing had changed with Seb, at least manners wise. He was always the gentleman toward Dani. Never pressured her to something she wasn’t ready to do.

She still wanted to believe that tonight was a dream. Something she hadn’t thought would have happened in a million years. She never expected to meet Seb tonight. That was not her intention when she went to the reunion. She had simply gone to push away the demons that haunted her when she was a student. But after the incident with Gary, she had realized, nothing had changed.

But then, Seb was there. Her protector. Her Seb.

She wished they had more time to talk but she had an early start in the morning… and in the back of her mind, she hoped that Sasha would remember that also and get home, if she already wasn’t.

Still… when they got to the door, Dani turned to Seb and he had mentioned their phone numbers. No. She hadn’t changed her phone number. “No, I haven’t changed it…” there was a slight pause and she laughed nervously. Why was she nervous? It was just weird how things turned out tonight…

Getting her keys, she unlocked the door and peeked inside. No Sasha. She didn’t even see her car in it’s normal parking space so she just assumed she wasn’t home yet. Turning toward Seb, Dani took his hand and led him inside. The place wasn’t dark as there were several night lights illuminating the room, rather dimly but still, at least they could see.

The apartment was literally bare, only because most things were packed for tomorrow’s move.

“Come, let’s sit… like we used to… we can wait for Sasha to return…” she said quietly, “She’d be happy to see you too.”

When Dani said she still had the same phone number, too, Sebastian clicked on his contacts and showed her that she was still there. He didn't say anything. He just smiled.

Sebastian stood outside the apartment as Dani looked inside. He was happy to accept her invitation to sit with her like they used to. He remembered the times sitting with Dani; most of them were on the tailgate of his old pick-up truck. They would spend hours together. Dani would sit with her back to Sebastian. His arms would be wrapped around her. Neither of them wanting to go home. Both of them wanting to remain right where they were... with one another. There were always hugs. There were kisses. There was always talk about the future... their future... together.

"I would love to Dani. I have nothing going on tomorrow, but you have a big day, so, when you need me to go, just tell me to get out."

Following Dani into her apartment, Sebastian looked at how ready Dani was for her move. That was one thing that they had always had in common. They both were very organized. Neither of them procrastinated. They were ready for what was to come. It was the one thing that, at this moment, Sebastian wasn't. He wasn't ready for what was to come. Hell, he had no idea what was coming. All he knew was that he was really happy he went to the reunion.

He stood in the living room of her apartment, quietly. He felt awkward. It was as if he was on a first date and had been invited to the woman's apartment. Yet, this wasn't any woman. He was with Dani, and there was no place in the world he would rather be. Still, it was awkward. He waited for Dani to sit. Then, he sat next to her. No, this wasn't how they used to sit, but it was close.

"All those days and nights we sat together. It was just us against the world back then. We made sure that we blocked the world out and we remained in our own world....together." He took her hand and squeezed it. "Dani, I can't think of a better way for today have to have gone. Well, maybe if you didn't have to deal with that asshole Gary, but, it created an opportunity for us to get out of there and to be alone, and, to me, there was no better outcome."

He felt like he was dominating the conversation and needed to shut up. He wondered if he was talking so much because he was afraid of what Dani might say. Was he really afraid that Dani would come out and say that she really did not want to see him? "Stop being so insecure," he told himself. "You are in her apartment. She invited you in. Stop acting like a little teenager on a first date."

He smiled when he thought about how nervous he was when he asked Dani out for the first time. Here he was the big jock, and just about any girl would have wanted to go out with him. Yet, he was nervous. Then, she said no, and he was crushed. He was really nervous the second time. But his persistence paid off.

"They were great times when we used to sit together Dani. Thinking about them makes me wish I had a pick-up truck for us to sit on the tailgate... just like we used to."

She had chanced looking at the time and realized it wasn’t too late, which was good. It meant Sasha wouldn’t be home for a while and she’d have more time to spend with Seb. He was worried about her being up late but she hadn’t wanted to say she had pulled all nighters before when she had been assigned to work in the ER. She had known then that as much as she had wanted to be a nurse, she didn’t want to be an ER nurse. There was just so much chaos in there… She was thankful when she was finally able to work elsewhere.

Dani listened to Seb talk about those days when they would sit together. She had missed those times also. Sitting next to him, she took it upon herself and scooted close to him, her legs tucked under as she leaned her elbow on the back of the couch and looked at him talk. There was only a faint glow illuminating in the apartment from the nightlight lights, but it gave the place a romantic glow.

“You know that’s the only time in my life I’ve felt so safe…” she said when she also remembered when they would sit in the back of his truck.

It wasn’t the wine talking, Dani knew that much. She just spoke the truth about their time together. There was a comfortable silence between them before she softly spoke, “I wish I didn’t have to leave so soon… it’s like we were brought together only to be torn apart again.” Just like the last time they had met…

Not realizing she had been running her hand over Seb’s forearm, Dani continued, “I’m just glad tonight worked out the way it did… I just wish we had more time…” she wasn’t sure what the future would bring but she was ready to give it a try… give them another try. They hadn’t left on bad terms… at least not in her mind, they just lost touch, that was all. “Seb… I really did miss you.”

Listening to Dani talk, Sebastian felt that she was saying goodbye to him. When she said she wished she didn't have to leave so soon and that they had been brought together only to be torn apart, he felt that she was saying that she did not see any future for them. He hadn't come back home, nor had he gone to the reunion with the intention of trying to get back with Dani, but once he found out that she was single, and still cared for him, he started to have some hope that they could get back together.

He looked down as he felt Dani's hand moving over his arm. Then, it seemed that Dani's attitude changed. Or maybe it was just that he was getting a different understanding of what Dani was saying. He loved her touch on his arm and he was happy to hear her say that she wished they had more time.

"I missed you more than you will ever know Dani. There was a reason why I carried your picture with me all this time. It made me feel that you were with me wherever I went."

He thought about following Dani to Dallas. There was nothing for him here. Even though there was nothing in Dallas for him. Well, there would be, once Dani was there, but what would he do there? Would Dani really want him to follow her?

"I wish we had more time, too Dani. It almost seems wrong for us to come together like this, only to be separated again after tonight. Seems pretty cruel to me. Do you think we could find a way to stay in touch? I don't know where I am going from here. I only have the hotel room a little longer. Then, it will be time for me to move on and find a place to live, find a job, and start my post-military life."

He wanted to say... "Maybe I will try Dallas," but he was afraid of rejection. Then, he thought that it would be better to have Dani tell him no than to move on and wonder what might have been. "Dani, what if I went to Dallas and tried to find a job there? No commitments.... just close together and see what happens."

She didn't want to send any mixed signals but damnit, she wasn't used to being in this position before. She had wanted something but in the past, when she did, it was only met with disappointment.

It flattered her so much that he had... not still had her picture with him. For Dani, there was no one else she felt she could love other than Seb.

Dani felt her heart skip a beat when Seb suggested he said if he came down to Dallas also...

She bit her lip in thought... yes, she wanted this. But... what if things didn't work out? What if he blamed her for that...?

Stop it! Her mind told her. Take a chance... With a smile, Dani scooted a little closer to Seb, deciding to take a chance and giving in only because how was she going to know if things would work if she didn't take a chance?

"Well... " She paused and nodded, her eyes locking with his, "Yes Seb. I would love it if you came down Dallas so we could see how things end up?" She leaned up and kissed his jaw before whispering, "Let's get back the time we spent apart?"

He was happy about Dani's response. Although he had never been to Dallas, and there were no immediate job prospects for him there, Sebastian suddenly was looking forward to moving there. It was something new, but it would be the attempt to rekindle things with Dani that made him happy about it.

Moving closer to Dani, and taking her in his arms, Sebastian looked into her eyes as the sat in her living room. "Dani, I will not be in your way. We will take it as slow or as fast as you want. Despite mistakes I made in the past, I still think we are right for each other. I think we can make up for lost time."

Leaning in close to her, Sebastian kissed Dani's cheek. "Seeing you in the dessert. It brought back so many memories. The most important thing it did was put in my head the idea of leaving the military. I had no idea it would lead me back to you, but I must admit that I could not be any happier."

This all seemed so surreal. Having this happen was not why he left the military. He had no idea that he would ever see Dani again. It just reminded him that there was life outside of the military, and, now, here he was with Dani, and they were thinking of picking up the pieces.

Sebastian kissed Dani's lips softly. He had to admit, there were sparks that shot through his body... the same sparks that used to shoot through his body every time that he kissed Dani.

Was it possible? Could he really make things work with the only girl he had ever loved? Only time would tell.

"I will not crowd you Dani, but I have to tell you that I really do hope things work out between us." He kissed her again. This time, the kiss was a little deeper.

"You can never crowd me..." Dani told Seb in between kisses. She was glad they were able to get away from the crowd. This was how it always was with them. They preferred to be alone with each other instead of trying to be in a crowd.

Which was odd, because before Dani knew Seb personally, she knew he had a big group of friends and seemed to always be the center of attention. She had remembered that day she had turned him down when he had first asked her out. She had said no because she was unsure... she didn't like crowds and being with him meant she'd be part of that crowd.

Plus, the obvious of course, their friends. Seb had friends. Dani didn't. Seb had money. Dani didn't.

She had relaxed against him, her head leaning on his shoulder as she felt his hand stroking her back. Could this really work? She was excited at the prospect of him coming out to be closer to her in Dallas. Of course, as she had thought earlier, she could move anywhere as her job skills were wanted all over. What would Seb decide to do for work? She would, of course, help him find a good job... that was if he wanted...

It would give them a chance to get familiar with each other once again. This time, as adults. No more parents trying to pull them apart.. this would be on their terms.

And that scared Dani. What if, in time, Seb decided this was all a mistake?

Stop thinking like that... she thought to herself. No, this would end up good... right?

As much as she wanted more time with him tonight, Dani knew she'd have to turn in soon...

"What happened Seb? Something happened you're not telling me about..." she sat up straighter, her hand still in his as she looked at him in the dim light of their surroundings.

It felt so good to be close to Dani again. His thoughts were mixed.. not about being with Dani, but about why he had let them drift apart. It was stupid.

He smiled broadly when she said that he could never crowd her. He wanted so bad to be with her. He wanted it to work. It had to. In order for it to work, though, he would need to find a good job. She had done so much to become a nurse, that he could not afford to just take any job. It had to be a good one that would help support them..... and their children... maybe. Yes, he thought about them becoming a family.. having children... being together forever.

"Dani, seeing you in the desert reminded me of what I left behind. It reminded me of just how stupid I was to stop communicating with you, and how stupid it was for me to be afraid to try to reach back out to you after a while. I started thinking about getting out then, but thought it was stupid because for sure you were married... in my mind anyway. Then, when we continued our advancement, one of my buddies stepped on an IED. Losing a member of the squad was not something new, but combining it with seeing you convinced me I had to move on with my life. Staying in the military was just a way of hiding from everything."

Sebastian rubbed the back of Dani's hand with his thumb. "My enlistment was up, and I decided not to re-up. I came back home just as a place to get started. And now..."

He pulled her hand up to his mouth and kissed the back of it while looking into Dani's eyes. So, Dani, to answer your question.... you happened."

Maintaining eye contact, Sebastian was in his glory. "Dani, I would love to spend the whole night with you, just the way we used to, but you have a big day tomorrow. You have a lot of driving to do and I don't want you tired. Sasha will probably sleep the whole way back to school and then you are going to continue on to Dallas. I don't want you to fall asleep driving."

leaning in, Sebastian kissed Dani softly. It was perfect. Her lips felt amazing on his. He pulled away. "If we keep that up, I won't be leaving."

Dani listened intently to what Seb was telling her. She gasped quietly when he mentioned the IED. Her mind quickly thought he could have been the one who stepped on the IED. Not that she was relieved it was someone else, but she had come close to losing him. She had seen some injuries from those sorts of bombs. It wasn't pretty. That was one of the many reasons she didn't want to volunteer once more for working overseas.

Not that she couldn't handle the gruesomeness of the wounds she dealt with, it was just... pointless as to why people, especially kids, were getting hurt for no reason.

She was lost in the moment, feeling his lips against hers. She blushed slightly when he said she was what happened. He gave reasoning to why he should leave and she knew he was right. Always looking out for her. She had definitely missed that. She was independent to a point but having Seb back... well, it felt good to be looked after instead of looking out for others.

"Then stay with me... tonight...." she told him in between kisses, "we can just hold each other... please Seb, I've missed you.." Dani stood and took Seb's hand, urging him to follow her. She led him to her room, again, everything was packed, except for the bed, only because they would need it for their last night.

Dani was still her in dress as she lay down on the bed, pulling Seb next to her as she rested her head in the crook of his arm and put her arm across his chest.

It felt so good to be with Dani. He forgot how beautiful she was, how much fun she was to just sit and talk to, and how great it felt to be in her company. Sebastian was surprised when Dani asked him to stay with her. He knew she had a big day tomorrow. He couldn't resist her, though. He still loved Dani, and would do anything she asked of him.

He took her hand and stood up. Then, he followed her to her room. He watched Dani get into bed in her dress. Before getting into the bed, Sebastian took off his shoes, his tie and his suit jacket. Climbing onto the bed, Sebastian laid on his back and Dani laid her head in the crook of his arm. It felt so good to lay here with her.

Caressing her back lightly with his hand, Sebastian felt like he was in heaven. He kissed the top of her head as they laid there quietly. Sebastian thought that he could definitely get used to having Dani sleeping in his arms.

He laid there with her as she started to fall asleep. "Good night Dani," he whispered lightly, "I love you... never stopped."

Staring up at the ceiling, Sebastian was wide awake. Having Dani in his arm felt so right, and he didn't want to sleep and not be able to enjoy every second of it.

A while later, Sebastian heard the door to the apartment open. He heard footsteps and then a knock on the bedroom door. "Dani... Dani, are you awake." There was a tap on the door. It was Sasha.

It felt so good to be in Seb's arms again. Dani had thought about this more than she had realized. She had nights where she wondered if Seb was doing OK. Was he married. Was he happy.

Did he ever think about her?

Well, tonight confirmed it. He had said some of the sweetest things about her and to her. Dani knew Seb would never hurt her intentionally.

Sasha sighed as she sat in her car for another 10 minutes more after she had gotten home. She was thinking. Thinking about how she didn't want to go to school anymore but knew how much her big sister had sacrificed in order for her to do so.

But of course, after sitting there and thinking about it, this was for the best. She hadn't wanted to say goodbye to Daniel, but she knew she had to. He didn't want Sasha to go either but knew it was for the best. Besides, he would go visit her when he could. He had promised.

In the apartment, Sasha had assumed Dani made it home since she never called for a ride home after the reunion. At least she hoped she made it home. Sasha had messaged Dani but never received an answer back. That was why when she got home, she had to see if her big sister was home.

In the dim light, Sasha saw someone in bed with Dani and immediately, Sasha apologized in a hard whisper and that's when it hit her, "Seb?" She whispered, trying not to disturb them. She stayed by the door and smiled at Seb, "I didn't know you were here... when did you get b-- you know what, never mind." She started to close the door and then opened it again, "It's great seeing you again Seb." As much as Sasha had wanted to know more and talk with Seb, now wasn't the time. She had to get some rest.

Dani was sound asleep. She didn't move as Sasha entered the room. "Hey Sasha," Sebastian whispered. "I got home a few days ago." He smiled in the dark when Sasha said now wasn't the time. "Good to see you Sasha. We'll talk in the morning."

After Sasha closed the door, Sebastian kissed Dani on the top of the head and continued to caress her back. He laid awake, dozing only briefly. He loved having Dani close to him. It felt so right.

Before Sebastian knew it the sun was coming up. He hadn't slept, but had taken little naps through the night. Being in the military had made it so he could function that way. He would just get sleep when he could. For now, he just wanted to enjoy as much time with Dani as he could, even if she was asleep. She did not move throughout the night. Her head remained in the crook of his arm.

When Dani started to wake up, Sebastian looked down at her. He smiled at her when she opened her eyes. "Good morning. Sleep well?" He leaned over and kissed her forehead.

Sebastian gave Dani a few minutes to wake up before telling her that Sasha had stopped in while she was asleep. "She didn't seem upset, although I am sure she was quite surprised to see me."

"While you get yourself together and start getting ready for your trip, I am going to run out and get some coffee and breakfast for you and Sasha. When I get back, I will help you with anything that you want me to help you with."

He kissed Dani softly and then climbed out of bed. He put on his shoes and he headed out to the local diner. Sasha must have still been asleep when he left, because she was still in her room. At the diner, Sebastian sat at the counter and ordered three different breakfast platters and 3 large coffees to go. He sipped a cup of coffee while he waited for the food. "Okay Sebastian, what now? What are you going to do with your life?"

The answer to his question was in Dallas. He wasn't sure yet what that answer was, but he had to find something there, because that was where Dani was going to be, and he wanted to be with her.

Dani had started to wake up slowly. She was so comfortable that she fought to wake up fully. It took her a moment to realize that she was still curled up against Seb... it felt so right being in his arms.

"I did..." she sighed, not wanting to get up but knew she needed to get up since she and Sasha still had a lot to do.

"Sasha?" She asked as she sat up straighter. He told her she was home, which was a relief to Dani. Yes, Sasha was a grown but being a big sister, Dani couldn't help but worry.

After Seb left to get coffee, Dani quickly changed out of her dress and into a pair of jean shorts and a t-shirt. She knocked on Sasha's door, waking her up, telling her it was time to get ready.

As they packed up the remaining items, Dani noticed Sasha was quiet, "What's wrong?" Dani asked.

Sasha shrugged, "Nothing... just not anticipating the drive, that's all."

"Yeah, 12 hours is long time but we'll manage."

"As always... by the way, want to tell me about Seb?"

Dani was going to say something but there was a knock at the door. She opened it and sighed in relief as Seb was there with coffee and food. "You didn't have to do this..." Dani said, giving him a quick kiss on the cheek.

Sasha grabbed the stuff from Seb and handed them to Dani before hugging Seb, "Hey stranger... imagine my surprise when I came home to find you here! How are you doing Seb?"

Returning from the diner with coffee, Sebastian thought about just how crazy the last 36 hours had been. It started with meeting Chuck and Paula at Phil's, to Paula insisting he go to the reunion, to bumping into Dani, to spending the rest of the night talking with Dani and holding her while she slept.

When he got to Dani and Sasha's door, he balanced the food and the coffees and lightly tapped on the door; hoping Dani was up and out of the bedroom. "I know I didn't have to do it Dani, but I wanted to. I know Sasha was up late and will need caffeine to stay awake for at least the beginning of your trip. He had to admit that he really liked it when Dani kissed his cheek.

After Sasha took breakfast from him and handed it to Dani, Sebastian hugged her. "Yes, I bet I am the last person you ever expected to see here when you got in last night. It was the only way I could get your sister to go to bed and get some sleep before your long day today."

He stepped back and looked at Sasha. "I am doing okay, thanks Sasha. I will be even better when I get a job. Leaving the military with no real plan wasn't the smartest idea, I guess, but I will figure it out." He said nothing about following Dani to Dallas. That would be up to Dani to share.. if she wanted to.

"You look great... all grown up. I know that you are going to be an amazing teacher and will change the lives of many of your students. I am really happy to hear that you are working toward that. It is such an admirable career choice."

Sebastian took Sasha's hand and led her to the kitchen where Dani had set the food out. He had the waitress at the diner put a couple of paper plates and some knives and forks in with the food, because he figured that Dani and Sasha had already packed things up.

"I didn't know what you ladies wanted for breakfast, so, I got a few different things.... eggs, french toast, pancakes, waffles, home fries, grits, sausage, bacon, and some toast." Sebastian picked up one of the coffees and took the top off and started to drink it as Dani and Sasha started to eat.

Once everyone was finished, Sebastian packed up the leftovers that would travel well, and put them into the carryout containers that he got from the diner while the girls finished packing things up and getting themselves ready. He carried a few items out to the car for them.

When the apartment was empty and there was only 2 backpacks left to go, Sebastian decided it was time for him to say goodbye. He hugged Sasha. "You are going to do great things as a teacher Sash. I know you are. Focus on that and make your sister proud of you." He kissed her forehead and then released her.

He moved to Dani. "I am so happy we bumped into each other last night. It was great seeing you and spending time with you. Be careful in your travels. Keep me updated. Let me know you two are safe." Sebastian was trying not to say too much in front of Sasha.

As much as Dani appreciated Seb's help, she just wished it was for something different. They had agreed to keep in touch until they were to meet again but after what happened last time, she hoped this time was true... Dani pushed that doubt out of her mind as she pulled Seb away from earshot of Sasha, "Seb... I don't want any hesitations between us. I still want you to come out to Dallas but if between now and then you change your mind, please don't hesitate to tell me, OK?"

She knew what he answer was going to be but she hadn't expected him to kiss her hard, almost as if to shut her up. She was having imaginary doubts and she knew he'd be there as soon as he could.

They were about 4 hours into their drive when Sasha finally stopped looking at her phone, texting with her friends, "So, something tells me that you and Seb aren't officially over?"

Dani had been driving after they had filled up with gas at the last stop. She had been very quiet almost through the whole ride as she thought about the future. OK, maybe not thinking but more over thinking. Every scenario playing out in her mind, both good and bad. There was no doubt she wanted Seb to be with her, but she wanted him there willingly, always had.

Smiling, Dani shrugged, "No. I don't think we ever were."

"Yeah, that's apparent with your lack of dates over the past few years..." Sasha sighed, "I can't say I blame you. He's grown up a lot. He's no longer the kid he once was. And the same goes for you. How long until he moves to be with you?"

That caught Dani off guard and Sasha laughed, "I knew it!" She couldn't help but laugh more about it. It wasn't funny but she couldn't help it, soon both of them were laughing about nothing.

From then on, the rest of the trip was easy. Both Dani and Sasha took turns driving. They stopped when they could and ate crappy fast food to which Dani just about sworn off after all this. What she wouldn't do for a homecooked meal. Dani would text Seb when she could, letting him know that they had finally made it and she would be staying the night before heading back to Dallas in the morning.

The kiss was hard and deep and passionate and he wished that it didn't have to end. Then, he looked her in her eyes. "Dani, bumping into you last night was like a miracle. Everything that had to happen to get us both there is crazy, but it happened. I am going to meet you in Dallas and we will figure "us" out. I am really looking forward to it."

Sebastian waved goodbye to Sasha and Dani as they drove away. Despite the fact that they were being separated so quickly, Sebastian felt that Dani and him were in a good place.

After they were out of sight, Sebastian went back to the hotel room and showered. After his shower, he dressed and went to the library. He walked in slowly, trying to make sure there was nobody there that would recognize. His goal now was to get out of town without anyone else from his past seeing him.

He moved to the back of the library where the computers were, and he sat at one facing the door. If there was someone he knew in the building, he wanted to be able to see them and hide from them.

He logged onto the computer and started searching job openings in and around Dallas. The Dallas Police Department and Dallas Fire Rescue were both hiring. Both of those positions interested Sebastian. The applications were online, so, he filled out an application for both. The issue was the address. He used the address for the hotel, for now, and would update it once he got a place in Dallas.

Not knowing what to expect from the police and fire department applications, Sebastian wrote down information on a couple of job openings, and then logged off the computer. As he was heading out of the library, he saw them.... his parents. "Fuck." He turned and walked away from where his car was parked. All of the years of separation did not make him want to see his parents again.

Sebastian walked around for a little while; keeping his head down so nobody would recognize him. He made his way back to his car without detection, and drove back to the hotel. Once he was settled back in his room, he texted Dani. "I hope everything is going well with your trip. Text me or call me when you can."

Then, he got up, grabbed his bags and checked out of the hotel a couple of days early. He didn't care that they said they were not refunding him any money. He got in his car and set out for Dallas. He didn't know where in Dallas Dani was going to be. He would worry about that later. For now, he would drive to Dallas, get a hotel room and wait.

Then, when Dani got to Dallas, he would surprise her.

At the airport several days later, Dani thought about what Seb had said... we'll figure us out.

She liked that. She wanted this to work because for her, there was no one other than Seb.

They had talked several times over the last few days. Sometimes there were long pauses but it was comfortable. They just wanted to hear each other and if being on the phone with long breaks was as good as they could get until they were to meet again when Seb came out to Dallas to join Dani.

Her flight was boarding and thankfully, she didn't have much. Just her carryon bag and her phone.

It was well after midnight when Dani arrived back at her home. It was a small 2 bedroom house she had gotten through a friend at work. A doctor had been looking to sell his home and when Dani expressed interest in it, he was only too happy to turn the mortgage over to her. It was affordable and quaint, located in a quiet neighborhood in one of the many suburbs of Dallas. Her drive home had her thinking of Seb. He was going to come out but had no job lined up yet and she was sure that with his skillset, he would have no trouble finding a job soon.

Dani had a couple of more days off before she had to return to work so in the morning, she slept in. When she woke, she sent a good morning text to Seb before getting into the shower. Today, she had to do some errands, nothing fancy, just groceries and then stuff at home. It wasn't exciting but it was a quiet life she enjoyed.

Sebastian stayed in an inexpensive, yet clean and comfortable hotel. He communicated with Dani every day; making sure she was okay. He always wanted updates on her trip. He had yet to tell her that he was already in Dallas.

His applications for both ethe Dallas Police and the Fire Rescue were well received and he was invited for next steps with both. Fire Rescue seemed really anxious to have him interview personally. They believed his skillset was perfect for them. Anyone who had been on the front lines in battle in a group that was responsible for themselves would be able to handle the everyday duties and responsibilities with Fire Rescue.

During one text exchange with Dani Sebastian asked her for her address. He told her that he was getting ready to head for Dallas and wanted to plug her address into his GPS. Once he had that, he started finalizing his plans.

The interview with Fire Rescue could not have gone any better. They were impressed with his experience in making decisions in stressful situations. If he could make good decisions while have people shoot at him and launch rocket propelled grenades at him, he would be able to make good decisions as a member of Fire Rescue. They told him that he would be hearing from them soon.

As he walked out of the Fire Rescue interview, he received a call from someone with Dallas PD. They were interested in following up on his application and having him move forward in their process. After discussing the process, Sebastian agreed to move forward. After all, he didn't have anything official from Fire Rescue, yet.

The next morning, after getting the good morning text from Dani, Sebastian replied and then hopped into the shower. It was time for his surprise. After getting out of the shower, he dressed in a pair of navy blue dress pants, a white dress shirt, and a blue and red striped tie. He got in the car and he called Dani. "Yes, I am on the road. It is going to take me a couple days, but I am looking forward to seeing you."

They talked for a few minutes. After disconnecting the call, he stopped at a florist, bought a dozen red roses, and then drove to Dani's house. After parking the car, he walked to her door and knocked.

"SURPRISE!!"

It was too late for breakfast and too early for lunch, but still, Dani was hungry. She didn't have much food only because she had been away all this time so she would still need to go get groceries. She was tempted to get some fast food but decided against it since it seemed that was all she had been eating lately.

As she was getting a shopping list ready, she got a call from work and had been asked if she could return to work early. As much as she was tempted, she told them no. She had earned these days off and wanted to use it. Besides, she just got done travelling and had wanted to get her body back into a rhythm of being home.

Besides, hopefully Sebastian would be here in a the next few days and she would have a some time to spend with him before she had to return to work.

Just as Dani was finishing up her grocery list, there was a knock at the front door. She was puzzled. She wasn't expecting anyone... walking to the door, the frosted window just showed a shadow and that was it. She looked through the peephole and could only see... roses? She opened the door and there were roses in someone's hands.

Dani was totally shocked when Seb told her surprise. Was this him? Here? Now?

Didn't he just say he was leaving for Dallas--don't question it...

Dani's face lit up and she ran into Seb's arms, "You're here... I--" she couldn't finish as they kissed hard...

Wrapping his arms around Dani, Sebastian pulled her close to him and kissed her deeply. He loved her reaction. Although, part of him felt that Dani reacted that way because she had doubts about whether he would really show up in Dallas... and who could blame her for having doubts.

When they broke the kiss, Sebastian kept holding her in his arms. "I have been here for a day or so. I left not long after Sasha and you left and drove all the way here. Already had a job interview, too. I wanted to get here so that you wouldn't have doubt about whether or not I was coming."

He released Dani from his arms. "I think you should get these in water. They already got a little messed up when you ran into my arms." He smiled at her, and kissed her softly before following Dani inside.

After closing the door behind them, Sebastian looked around. "Wow Dani, your house is awesome. It is the perfect size for you and you have decorated it so nicely.

Following Dani as she found a vase and put the roses in water, Sebastian was really impressed with what Dani had here. Once the roses were in the vase, he hugged Dani from behind, pulling her tightly back to him and kissed her neck.

Sebastian whispered in her ear, "I was a fool once when I stopped communicating with you. I wasn't taking any chances of losing you now."

It felt so good to be in Seb's arms, Dani felt safe and protected. She didn't want to let go but he said something about the roses, "Oh, so you're blaming me?" She said, teasing him as she took him by his hand and leading him to the kitchen. It took a little rummaging but she found a vase for the rose arrangement.

"Thank you Seb," she said when he complimented on her home. It was a home and she had missed it after being away with Sasha a few days. Hell, she missed it while she was away on assignment. Dani told Seb the story of how she acquired it.

Leaning against Seb, Dani relaxed completely into Seb. She had missed this so much. Him holding her. It had been so long since... she shivered when he whispered in her ear. Turning, she wrapped her arms around his neck as his grip tightened around her waist, pulling her more against him. "I missed you Seb. I really did. And trust me, this is a very good surprise." She kissed him quickly on the lips, "Let me give you a quick tour?"

She grabbed him by the hand again, leading him from the kitchen and to the dining room, afterward, the living room and the two bedrooms in the house. There was a small backyard that Dani had neglected only because of being so busy with work and such. "I'll get to it...one day."

After the tour, Dani led Seb to the couch, and sat him down as she sat close to him, "So, you've been here for a while and already had a job interview... tell me about it. How did it go? What was the interview for?"

He loved how Dani took him on a tour of her home. What he really enjoyed, however, was how she leaned into him. Sebastian loved being close to Dani. Having her this close reminded him of the good times they had together. He was hoping to get back to those times.

Dani had a lot of questions for him, and in her excitement she was just blurting them all out. Sitting on the couch next to Dani, Sebastian held her hand and squeezed it lightly. "yes, I have had an interview, and I have another one coming up."

Smiling at her, Sebastian thought he saw hope and excitement in Dani's eyes. "Well, after Sasha and you left, I went back to the hotel room and went online looking for jobs. I found a few and applied to some online. I wanted to get to Dallas quickly. I wanted to be here when you arrived so that you would know I was serious about US."

Sebastian lifted Dani's hand to his lips and kissed the back of it. "Once I got here, I found a hotel room and while I was sitting there I heard back from Dallas Fire Rescue and they wanted me to come in for a personal interview because they felt my military background would make me a great candidate. I went to the interview, and it went great. As I walked out of the interview, I got a message from Dallas PD. They want me to come in for an interview. Since there was no concrete offer from fire rescue, I agreed to the PD interview. If I have offers from both, I am not sure which one I would take."

Leaning over, he kissed Dani; softly at first. The kiss deepened as they sat on the couch; eventually Sebastian pulled Dani into his lap without breaking the kiss. he held her closely as they kissed. After breaking the kiss, he looked into her eyes. "Things are moving faster than I thought they would. Heck, I might be able to move out of the hotel and get a place of my own sooner than I expected."

Dani listened to Seb tell her about his interviews. She was truly happy for him. She had no doubt that he would get something soon since he already had another interview set up.

"I can't believe you were here all this time.." she whispered to him in between kisses. He pulled her onto his lap and Dani sighed contently and looking into his eyes, her head resting on his shoulder. "I'm excited for you..." she told him as they just stared into each others' eyes as her mind raced with an idea.

"Why don't you just move into here?" She said as she sat up, wrapping her arms around his neck. She could tell he was going to protest but Dani continued, "I mean it Seb. We can still take our time getting to know each other again. There is a second bedroom..." she offered. Dani hoped she didn't sound too forward but really, it would just make sense. They knew each other. They wouldn't have to worry about spending time apart and even they did need time apart, the house was big enough for that.

"I mean.. only if you want.. if not, I can help you find a place to stay. I mean, I know the semi-decent parts of town in which to stay."

Sebastian had thought about the possibility of staying with Dani before she brought it up, but had put it out of his head. There had been a couple of reasons why he pushed the idea out of his mind. One reason was that he didn't want to suggest it because he was afraid Dani would feel uneasy and that he was moving too fast. Another reason was that he thought they would need to have their own space as they got to know each other again. Living together would mean that they would be together the entire time they were home. It wasn't like he didn't want to be with Dani, but he was concerned that he would be crowding her and she would want time apart. The third reason was ... sleeping arrangements. Yes, they had slept together the first night, but they had really slept.. well, Dani did, and they had both been fully dressed.

Dani recommending that he stay with her changed a few of those things. She wasn't concerned that he was moving too fast, she talked about how they would have plenty of room if they needed time apart, and she mentioned the second bedroom, which eliminated the sleeping arrangements issue.

There was one other thing, however, that was bouncing around in Sebastian's head. What if things didn't work out between them. Yes, he was committed to making things work with Dani. However, what if it didn't work out after being apart all these years. Living together would make it worse and having to move out would be awful. He couldn't share with Dani that he was thinking about that scenario; it would upset her way too much.

"I don't know Dani. I love the idea of being close to you, especially after all of the time we spent apart. I just feel like I have suddenly upset your world. A short time ago we were thousands of miles apart... each with our own lives. Now, after our own special reunion, I feel like I am invading your world. I moved to Dallas and am looking to settle here. Would living with you be too much for you? Is it too quick?"

He wanted to make sure that this was 100% Dani's decision. He was not going to tell her no to moving into her house. She would think that he was not totally committed to her.

Ne leaned forward and kissed the tip of her nose; keeping his eyes fixed on hers. "It feels so good being with you. Even our short time apart was hard. I just want you to be sure that you would be okay with me being so close to you all the time. Yes, we would both be going off to work, but, you have lived here alone... are you sure that you want me here now?"

His hands caressed her back as their eyes were locked on one another. He could see her mind racing. Sebastian knew she was running all the scenarios through her mind. She was very smart in addition to being so beautiful.

Before she could respond, Sebastian's phone rang. It was Dallas Fire Rescue and they were calling to offer him a position in their next training class, which started in two weeks. Sebastian thanked them and told the Human Resources person that he would call them back by the end of the day. He could see the look on Dani's face that said why didn't you just say yes?

"Okay, I know what you are thinking Dani. Here is the thing. If we are going to be together, I need to talk things through with you. So, on top of the living arrangements decision, there is a work decision. Dallas PD wanted me to move forward in their hiring process. Do I wait to hear from them or should I just take the offer I have?"

Sebastian knew the answer. he also had a feeling he knew what Dani would say, but he wanted her to know that he was committed to THEM. "So, we have 2 things to decide on."

Back