OOC: Ward of Darkness (Casting call.)

Yeah, freebie points, 15 of them.

You have most likely used them already if you're starting with 5 ranks instead of the normal 3 ranks in supernatural powers... If so, don't worry about them...

If not you can use them to raise your attribute scores or supernatural power ranks...

Attributes cost 5 freebie points per +1 to an attribute of your choice.

Supernatural power ranks cost 7 freebies for +1 rank.

So, that could get you an additional 3 points to spend on any of your attributes.

Or 1 point for attributes and 1 point for power ranks, leaving you 3 freebie points for later.

Or 2 points in power ranks with 1 freebie point left over.

Hmmm I didn't bother with Freebies.

Though I may~ just to raise her Auspex and Potence levels.

(Thinks about this)

Yeishia...Goddess bless; you are a wonderful writer. Your poor, lost wraith breaks my heart.

You will be fun to write with.:rose:

Thank you Luna I am glad you liked Maya.

I feel the same way about writing with you. :rose:

I have made an edit in my Bio :eek:

I have added The Solicitors because I felt it might be a useful tool for her shadow and have reduced Keening to level one because I thought it might be easy to raise its level.

I spent last night dithering about this change. What does everyone think?

I do have a question?

In our IC thread I notice that we are not posting our Bios at the beginning of each introductory post?

I was thinking many readers do not even bother reading the OOC: portion of a thread and so for the sake of clarity should we perhaps post them?

or add a link to post one here where all of our Bios will be conveniently listed.

This is just a small thought. :)

Actually, I wanted to do the same thing~pinning an addition to my initial introductory post for any readers who follow along and are interested. Though we, as the writers, are all pretty sure of our places (looks, etc) others may not know or understand and should probably have a link in the intro post to make it easier.

Also, I plan on editing myself, to change my supernatural backgrounds by one point a piece.

I never ever get deeply into history when I make up a character (Never did when I played in the World of Darkness either) because I want to explore the world and figure her/him/it out as I go.

AM always amazed when I find people who do it the other way...and manage to do it well.

*smiles* I need to immerse myself in the character I am playing... essentially for the duration of my post I am Maya.

I felt that in this thread especially where I know very little about the world of darkness that I at least had to have a good grasp of my own character from the onset.

I figure my lack of knowledge will force me to explore as I go along with Maya I and the more experienced players as my lifeline. :rose:

Hmmm I didn't bother with Freebies.

Though I may~ just to raise her Auspex and Potence levels.

(Thinks about this)

Yeishia...Goddess bless; you are a wonderful writer. Your poor, lost wraith breaks my heart.

You will be fun to write with.:rose:

I was wondering why you were purposefully shorting yourself on disciplines... LOL!

I know, right? I was even getting kind of teary eyes while reading it!

Thank you Luna I am glad you liked Maya.

I feel the same way about writing with you. :rose:

I have made an edit in my Bio :eek:

I have added The Solicitors because I felt it might be a useful tool for her shadow and have reduced Keening to level one because I thought it might be easy to raise its level.

I spent last night dithering about this change. What does everyone think?

I do have a question?

In our IC thread I notice that we are not posting our Bios at the beginning of each introductory post?

I was thinking many readers do not even bother reading the OOC: portion of a thread and so for the sake of clarity should we perhaps post them?

or add a link to post one here where all of our Bios will be conveniently listed.

This is just a small thought. :)

I figure if readers were interested enough, they could do some leg work and come to the ooc thread, after all, I did consolidated everyone's bio into my first post on the ooc... (Have to put Mayas there still, but I'm waiting until you have everything locked down, so I don't end up pasting something only for you to end up changing it on me later, Yeishia. LOL!)

Have to put Mayas there still, but I'm waiting until you have everything locked down, so I don't end up pasting something only for you to end up changing it on me later, Yeishia. LOL!)

*blushes giggling*

I think it is finally done, please read it over Raven and if you approve of the changes move it to the proper place. :rose:

I was thinking of switching 1 dexterity with 1 physical so that it will ease her poltergeist activity...what do you think? I shall leave that change up to you :)

My shadow got me!:eek: I posted Maya Picture, sneaked in her bio. I soooo tried not to Raven, even though you said I could.:eek:

I have had my fix I can remove it if you like ( :rose::kiss::heart: * blatant sucking up here :))

Last edited:
The subject of how to gain experience through play-by-post was just brought to my attention in pms.

So here's what I am thinking...

Two rules of thumb.

1. players should get 1 experience point for posting a reasonably long reply each 24 hour period (The 24 hour period is so that no one can accrue an unfair pool of experience just because they have a free day for all day play and if I were to have to quantify that, I guess I would have to say that means a post that's at least 4 or 5 paragraphs long, and does not reiterate any previous posts.)

2. Players should get a second point per post if I am personally rocked by their post, or I recieve pm's from at least two people or two people citing their post as worthy of the extra reward in the OOC thread. Again, this would be subject to 1 reward every 24 hours.

And as far as my character recieving rewards... Well... I would humbly put that to my fellow players discretion.

How does that sound guys? Reasonable? Any suggestions on how it might be improved? Does it even sound like a viable system with which to allow for character advancement while we play?

The subject of how to gain experience through play-by-post was just brought to my attention in pms.

So here's what I am thinking...

Two rules of thumb.

1. players should get 1 experience point for posting a reasonably long reply each 24 hour period (The 24 hour period is so that no one can accrue an unfair pool of experience just because they have a free day for all day play and if I were to have to quantify that, I guess I would have to say that means a post that's at least 4 or 5 paragraphs long, and does not reiterate any previous posts.)

2. Players should get a second point per post if I am personally rocked by their post, or I receive pm's from at least two people or two people citing their post as worthy of the extra reward in the OOC thread. Again, this would be subject to 1 reward every 24 hours.

And as far as my character recieving rewards... Well... I would humbly put that to my fellow players discretion.

How does that sound guys? Reasonable? Any suggestions on how it might be improved? Does it even sound like a viable system with which to allow for character advancement while we play?

Part of me thinks I shouldn't really reply to this for many reasons... I am so uncomfortable with this.:eek::(

1) Any writer worth their salt can drivel on for four posts I am thinking and so I think points should also be also awarded on content and how it relates to the Bios we all painstakingly put together.. our stats, passions, etc etc. As they would be in a real time live game, with Raven rolling the dice to see how many points would be added.

2) I simply cannot play every day no matter how much I should want to. I have a job which requires long hours and a teenage son. Added to that it sometimes takes me a long time to craft my responses. I have tried to be faster but simply cannot seem to improve my speed. As a rule I am a weekend poster. Because this is a group I shall try to post midweek when I can. The quality of my posts will suffer greatly if I have to post each day simply to garner points and keep my character stronger so that she is on the level with the characters of the faster posters.

3) I am not comfortable with this whole public, two people citing their post as worthy of the extra reward in the OOC thread thing. I would rather simply check my Bio regularly to see if my stats have changed.

I am equally uncomfortable in the writer appreciation threads. *blushes*

I shall just promise do my very best to produce half decent posts if I may and not worry about votes as to who likes what I have written.

That does not mean that the rest of you can't have fun with this. :rose:

I couldn't post I liked one persons post while leaving out another, writing is very subjective and I wouldn't want to hurt anyone by leaving them out. I know you are laughing but I still remember how it feels to have my writing put down in the lounges because it was too romantic and therefor boring. I want to simply have fun in this thread without the worry if another writer likes my style or not.:eek::rose:

Last thought: that the players shouldn't be involved in scoring at all, we should just concentrate on having fun and writing. It should be done by the story teller behind the scenes. Now that Raven has a helper I see no problem with that aspect.

Last edited:
Points all well taken, Yeishia.

I would like to know how the rest of you weigh in on the subject.

It could well be just me Raven I know that I am over sensitive with regards my writing as I do not have much confidence in my fledgling abilities :eek: :rose:

I would like to publicly assure everyone that if I somehow have left any of you feeling as though I've neglected your interests, it is completely by accident. I am simply so eager to make this thread the astoundingly enjoyable success for each and every one of us that I have become somewhat scatter brained as of late. Like I've said to a friend, I've got so many thoughts going through my head that it feels like there's not enough hours in the day to consider them all... LOL!

Well, reguarding that...

I have a bit of an announcement, after having chatted at length with a fellow long time rper and WoD storyteller, I think I may have found a solution that will help ease my considerable burden and allow things to run a little bit more smoothly.

Username: Rysil has kindly offered his help in co-storytelling with me. He'll help portray any 'npcs' as needed, and allow me someone to directly post against so that I never have to start talking to myself when playing two different npc characters. LOL! I hope this will meet with everyone's approval, he does have years of experience with WoD, perhaps more than me in point of fact.

So, yeah, just to let you all know that that's going on behind the scenes.

Rysil should be able to post a little later, and introduce himself.

Honestly? Right now I feel like it'd be best if I just backed out of the story. Your first point about scoring a point every day for a post each day alarms me because before I signed on to this I pointed out that weekdays are bad for me and I usually can only get a post in on the weekends. So if the plan is 7 posts per week and I'm doing 1 or 2, I'll either be left behind or (even worse) hold everyone back.

I'm also a little concerned about a "minimum 4 paragraphs" rule. In my opinion posts shouldn't have a word or paragraph requirement... people should write what's appropriate to respond to what came before and set up something for the next person to respond to. Sometimes this can be done with fewer than 4 paragraphs. Sometimes it takes more. But I definitely don't want to feel like I'm having to count my words.... I just want to relax, write and have fun.

And I'm also very worried about the points thing in general. Coming here is about fun and escapism for me, but now it looks like some kind of competition where we're all "scoring points" and such. Personally, I'd rather just do away with character sheets and stats and just trust everyone to know what their character is capable of and write what they feel is appropriate.

.... The more I sit here and think about it, the less comfortable I feel about things. I just worry that I won't be able to post often enough to keep up with the rate you're expecting and worry that, frankly, I'm not a good enough writer to satisfy my peers. So I'm stepping away. :( I think this is going to be GREAT, but simply doesn't fit well with my style.

But I sincerely wish you all the very best and look forward to reading your story!! :rose:

This whole experience system was never ment to send people packing.

I've gotten two no's to the idea.

I don't think I will go with experience.

I am not willing to risk any of your enjoyment of this thread for the sake of making this feel more like the game its based on.

So please, MissMelinka, I'm begging you, don't back out.

My one goal in the end was only to get a group together and share an amazing story.

I hope we can still do that.

Last edited:
For the record I have not said no to the XP system.

I think it will be fun to work with as I discovered when crafting my last post.

It is just my humble opinion that it is the story teller that should determine when it is merited and not the individual players/writers.

I am not an experienced player but this feels right to me.:rose::heart:

Yeah, well, I want Melinka to stay, so if that means scrapping, than it means scrapping.

I'll try and figure out something else as far as xp awards go.

I honestly don't think we need an XP system.

If this was more involved, chat/IM gaming.. sure.. but play by post can get bogged down if we try for a xp awards and such.

I am not sure if it's even really important.

I was thinking, rather than bog things down, like you say Cheska, I would wait until the conclusion of this first thread's storyline to reward all of you who have mannaged to stick with me with a lump sum of xp with which you can build up your character. I would also invite those who have stuck with it to continue their adventures with me in a sequel/spin off thread.

My ultimate goal would be to enact the Old Wolrd of Darkness's Time of Judgement scenarios with you all.

And thus it begins

Ok first off I am quite nutz. I am sure that is why Raven invited me into the nuthouse. Sounds like a good fit to me. I should be climbing on the melted walls of human flesh in no time. *Looks off screen*

*Subtle scuffle off screen. Whispers and voices*

Um I am sorry someone told me this was supposed to be a tzimisce temple post. Man, boy did I get that wrong. *looks off screen*

So Asylum of the damned with everything from Canines to Wraiths this ought to be interesting.

On a serious note,

It has been my experience in the past that when ones begins mixing and matching with the WoD it can get really good or really bad, really fast. I can see PbP being helpful with some of the pure story elements. The thing I like to remember the most in any RPG is stick with the character concept.

Experience is definitely needed as this is the only way to add in new abilities and disciplines or to strengthen existing ones. You were right that it's likely not as important as it is in a chat game or at the table, but still important.

My suggestion for experience:

1 point for staying in character and playing accordingly.
Basically if you play your character consistently You should be rewarded for it.

1 point for completing a story arc or chapter.
In a normal TT game this means the conclusion of a night, but that being said, if you want to use this award do it every time we close a scene and start a new one.

1 point for consistent participation. So long as you have posted once a week.
This allows everyone to progress at the same rate for being awarded for just posting. If you want to encourage more frequent posting, I suggest not. Writers generally like to write and can go on for many many lines of prose at great length. but if you pay by post instead of play by post you encourage quantity over quality.

1 point for EXCEPTIONAL quality.
This needs to be handled right. The best way I see to do this is if a PC post inspires someone enough to actually compliment on your post of their own free will. I know if something really impresses me I will shower it with praise. The biggest concern is how good is worth a point. My general rule of thumb is award this to your struggling writers. It gives them positive affirmation for a job well done and they generally are the ones you have to worry about the least when it comes to quarrels and ego trips about who did the best writing. I also use this as my floating MVP. If it's praiseworthy, it's worth XP

1 point for an idea that costs the PC a great deal but saves the group.
Jumping on a grenade, Werewolf taking an allied vamp through a bane infested Umbra to escape certain death, Saytr Risking her life and not getting laid for it. I think you get the idea. It has to cost the character something important enough for the player to feel the loss. Then on top of that it has to benefit someone. I generally like this 1 point for daring, life saving climactic events. This is also my MVP award for most heroic.

in a play by post game where we may cover an, in game 24 hour period, in a week, a month, a year (god i hope not. Slowest day ever!) I do not think it crucial to award every day, or even every week. This pace moves slowly enough that you can award it each month. But all of this depends on longevity. I have no idea how this could go or how long it could last. These are my suggestions.

One last point of note, I am not in any way and arbiter for this group. That means I have no more authority than anyone else in this thread. I do however have 17 years worth of playing WoD. I know V:tM, W;tA, & M:tA. These three titles were my staple in my in home games, and I was an Asssitant ST for a long running LARP. Please do not ask me detailed questions on Wraith, Changeling, or Mummy. I can give you the fluff on them but not the mechanics or powers. However you ask me most of the good stuff out of the first three and you may just have asked a question of the WoD version of Cliff Claven.

I am open to any and all PMs on any subject you want. I never condemn nor judge no matter what the fetish, kink, or obsession. If you can find something in this world that can release true emotion from me or shock me you will be in a very very small group of people. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Lastly at Ravens leave I have a proposition for you, Try to stump me on WoD. If you can then I will talk to Raven and see what an adequate reward would be. I just like seeing people learn stuff :)

Rysil

P.S. My name is pronounced RYE sill. I would ask that you not butcher it. I hate it when people mispronounce my name on message boards.

The experience points are not the reason I played in the W.o. D. and they will not be the reason I write in this story. It is the story that is the thing. The joy of doing and learning and figuring crap out. (Because my characters are always irredeemably nosy!)

Do I think we should have XP? Absolutely! Because it provides concrete proof that we are advancing the plot, that we are accomplishing what we need to in order to make the thread, the lives drawn in words, mean something. XP is a fabulous indicator of that.

Rysil~your ideas for XP are pretty well thought out and should be easy enough to implement.

I think where people were getting scared off was the idea that they had to write so many times, so many paragraphs, so many things. The joy in the story is going to fall by the way side. This way people are writing and playing because they are INVESTED. The XP will just be awesome peanut butter icing on a delicious chocolate cake.

*Goddess bless, I am STARVING*

Okay that is it from my neck of the woods. I think we need the XP, I also think that we (as a group) have to learn to write and have fun together FIRST. XP will take care of itself as we learn and grow.

Welcome aboard Rysil! I'm already glad I asked you to help story tell with me here. All of your xp award suggestions are perfect and all that I was trying to convey and more.

Now, I am curious, how would you handle the delivery of these points? Publicly, here in the OOC, or through PM's?

Oh, oh! I have a Mage question! Why can't a Mage use the sphere of time to travel back in time? Also, I know that physical travel to the past is impossible, but if a Mage got a little creative and combined past sight with spirit sight and touch, couldn't they bend the rule and be able to do stuff to umbral travelers IN the past?

Yeah Luna, I guess I didn't think my ideas out very well... Ended up scaring people away.

Welcome aboard Rysil! I'm already glad I asked you to help story tell with me here. All of your xp award suggestions are perfect and all that I was trying to convey and more.

Now, I am curious, how would you handle the delivery of these points? Publicly, here in the OOC, or through PM's?

Oh, oh! I have a Mage question! Why can't a Mage use the sphere of time to travel back in time? Also, I know that physical travel to the past is impossible, but if a Mage got a little creative and combined past sight with spirit sight and touch, couldn't they bend the rule and be able to do stuff to umbral travelers IN the past?

I appreciate the compliments from both you and Luna. Mostly I took those rules from the book directly and add my own common sense.

As to how to handle XP, as an ST I generally look and see who has been involved and who hasn't. I also look to see if character advancement can be used as a carrot for more involvement. Because I come from a Table Top background for so many years it's about how to get people involved and keep their interest. Find out to how to do that, and your group will usually be pretty solid.

What I am hearing from the players is this:
"To many requirements and this becomes more like work and less like fun"
Anytime I am asking of my players too much, they let me know. If my expectations are too high, they let me know. I listen to my players, for with out them I am nothing but a lonely lil man with a god complex.

Once again my two cents.
In my experience the more I listen the better I can provide my players with the creative setting to really shine in their passion for creativity and art :)

Back