Non-stroke Erotica

I think there certainly is a je ne sais quoi quality to stories where the heart's not on it. But I don't think stories where that is not present are "faking it." I think people who are taking pride/pleasure in the craft of erotica can write super stories, even if they are missing that quality. In fact, I think that quality is rare, at least as I'm understanding it. I stumbled across one the other day which convinced me that it sprang from a fantasy that the author had been relishing for a long time. I don't know if the writing is "good," but it certainly swept me along, in large part because of what seemed to be authenticity (although it's no way real world - not fantasy either). It's Pleasure and Pain. The author only wrote one and never participated in the forums. I'd be interested to hear if any of you agree with me.
This story reinforces my point. The author's heart and soul is so totally into her fantasy that it outweighs what is, when unpacked, fairly clunky writing.

You can feel the aching heat of her fantasy, it forces itself upon you, it's visceral. I'd much rather read something like this, with all its literary faults, than something that might be immaculately written, but you can tell it's not the author's kink, because the heartbeat is missing.

You can feel that story's pulse, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I think about a version of this question. I'll have an intense erotic idea (a stroker), that doesn't make any sense to me. It's not logical.

I find myself constructing character, backstory, and motivation to set up the scenario, then run it out to it's conclusion, to justify it's existence. This is what I "like" to do, so I'm not worried about it, but I should also consider writing just the fantasy, and that may not only be good enough, it may even be preferred (aside from people who hang out in author's forums care about everything else).

I also find, the more I write, the sex aspect becomes more and more abstract, and other things like tenderness, longing, and trust resonate much more.

but I should also consider writing just the fantasy, and that may not only be good enough, it may even be preferred (aside from people who hang out in author's forums care about everything else).
@electricblue66

The last story I wrote was based on a snippet of a fantasy that just wouldn't go away. I wrote it down and published it in a book called "Three Vignettes" on Smashwords, but I couldn't publish it here because it was less than 750 words and I just couldn't expand it. iI'd already published Vignettes 1 and 2 separately. In the forward I said:
Over the last two years I’ve had fantasies vivid enough to put virtual pen to virtual paper roughly every six months. These fantasies have gotten less and less complex over time, until the last two were only worth the title of Vignette. Two vignettes didn’t seem worthy of a book, so I was waiting for a third fantasy, so I could publish Three Vignettes. I thought nothing was happening, but then I realized that I was returning again and again to what was really just a scene. As I was waiting in vain for sleep I would obsess over set-up details and language. The essence was that a strong man was naked before another man who had power over him, and who usually was sitting on a chair some steps above my main character. The important action is launched when the MC gives in to a need to surrender himself, accompanied by sexual arousal.

Details that I hadn’t fleshed out (and mostly never would) were: What era is this in? (As I write I’ve decided it can’t be modern.) How did he come to be in this predicament? What prompts him to give in to a need to surrender himself? (I toyed with using threats to his wife…. “Unless you get an erection we’ll kill her.” But that was just too weighty for my tiny story.) What’s a graceful, original way to say that he was suddenly overcome with a sense of surrender? Something more original than “the floodgates broke,” or “the dam burst,” or “he was suddenly overcome?” What’s his name? (As I wrote I realized I had to give him a name just for ease of writing.) So here’s my scene.

I find myself constructing character, backstory, and motivation to set up the scenario, then run it out to it's conclusion, to justify it's existence. This is what I "like" to do, so I'm not worried about it, but I should also consider writing just the fantasy, and that may not only be good enough, it may even be preferred (aside from people who hang out in author's forums care about everything else).
@AG31 I do this a lot, get a simple scene in my head, then run with it. But despite myself, with a sex scene that "arrives" without preamble, without back story, the end result is typical EB, garnering comments like this:
Props be damned, I could use a cigarette after that. 🥵 (And I haven't smoked since college!)

I love these two. They feel so desperately human. I'm very jealous of them. I can't wait to explore more of their sumptuous relationship.

Garter Belts and Cigarettes

Garter Belts and Whiskey

Both these stories feature my Adam character, and introduce Ruby. During the recent Stacnash Affair, SN reviewed the latter story and really liked Ruby. So I must have done something right, right? ;)

This is the first I've seen of this thread. I haven't gone through it yet. But it looks like there must be a good conversation going on here.

Submitted for your approval or not, I'd nominate my story, The Case of the Richman's Wife. It's erotic, it's a mystery, it's a thriller. It's too long to be a stroke story, has to much plot for your basic stroker, and still has enough naughty for your mind. At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Nice try, I can stroke to anything. I was reading the dictionary and didn't have to go past 'affection'.

Just kidding, of course, there are plenty of things against my tastes, but that doesn't make it non stroke. Somebody probably gets off on car crashes. Or
tentacles. (Thanks to Emily for a little spark that grew into a very different fire) Don't worry, they're FRIENDacles, but still probably the weirdest thing I've written. Definitely the most romantic.

My husband said he 'liked' it, but not in an erotic way. Different strokes.

For different folks, and we got the most different folk for miles around.
Nice try, I can stroke to anything. I was reading the dictionary and didn't have to go past 'affection'.

Just kidding, of course, there are plenty of things against my tastes, but that doesn't make it non stroke. Somebody probably gets off on car crashes. Or
tentacles. (Thanks to Emily for a little spark that grew into a very different fire) Don't worry, they're FRIENDacles, but still probably the weirdest thing I've written. Definitely the most romantic.

My husband said he 'liked' it, but not in an erotic way. Different strokes.

As a guy, when I read (well written) lesbian erotica, I am strongly taken in to the story.

There is just the sheer pleasure of them enjoying each other’s person, bodies & sexual response. Usually the stories and depictions are very tender and caring toward her girl partner; maybe that is what I am missing in my life: the tenderness (nurturing?). Almost as if the sex is more…what, pure? More authentic? More sensual?

At any rate, I am turned on by lesbian stories, even though I cannot (by virtue of gender and anatomy) visualize myself as being a part of the story. So, it is not 'stroke material' as such, but does induce strong concupiscent feelings.
Interesting perspective. And a good description of the appeal of "non-stroke erotica." But I would call what you describe simply the appeal of good fiction.

My fantasies are virtually all from the male point of view, although I'm female. And I pretty much require a male POV to enjoy a story to the point of arousal. I don't distinguish between arousal and masturbation in these discussions because I would never masturbate while reading. For what that's worth... :)

Back