New UK Thread

Oh the other Chekhov
"Do you see that tree? It is dead but it still sways in the wind with the others. I think it would be like that with me. That if I died I would still be part of life in one way or another."
Anton Chekhov

"That fecker's squished me strawberries. Chop it up and burn it!"
Butters

"Do you see that tree? It is dead but it still sways in the wind with the others. I think it would be like that with me. That if I died I would still be part of life in one way or another."
Anton Chekhov

Butters
Where are the Nuclear Wessels

Pavel Chekov

Anton Chekhov

Butters
it kinda (=a million percent) gets in the way of half of our fenced garden and it's broken at the base of the trunk, so... waste not, want not :D

Don't cry for me par-squished strawb'ries...
the truth is they're tough and hardy...
now don't get mardy, they take a beating,
but they'll fruit sweetly
when sprinnnnnnggggggggggggg is here

:p

i found a picture i took before coming to the USA... part of my tree i had in my bedroom which was more like a bedsit (my youngest had a similar setup in the other bedroom and my autistic son had all the downstairs living room. Might seem odd, but with his autism and my daughter's CFS, it worked for us all)
edit: plus i was the only one really into xmas stuff but that's a whole other story.

580.jpg

Last edited:
i found a picture i took before coming to the USA... part of my tree i had in my bedroom which was more like a bedsit (my youngest had a similar setup in the other bedroom and my autistic son had all the downstairs living room. Might seem odd, but with his autism and my daughter's CFS, it worked for us all)
edit: plus i was the only one really into xmas stuff but that's a whole other story.

View attachment 2195469
Was that so's he could be on his own when he needed to, but not miss out of xmas? Makes sense.

Was that so's he could be on his own when he needed to, but not miss out of xmas? Makes sense.
their father ruined xmas for them when they were younger: rage, smashed up xmas, drink/drugs/whatever as his excuse, oh, and the xmas he finally left on a lie...leaving them waiting for him to come home with their gifts, with a stripped back house and no xmas food or anything where we were supposed to be moving but in reality he was going to play santa with another family but told us he was stuck working. Such a great guy :rolleyes: But even before that they weren't fans of a traditional xmas dinner; they just liked the sweet stuff and my son wanted spag bol :D

Yeah,, he just wasn't into it as a 'thing' but enjoyed the gifts and all the chocolate. He needed his own space, arranged as he felt comfortable with, and not a huge amount of interaction with people in spaces he wasn't in charge of and could make people leave if he preferred. My daughter enjoyed the more xmassy vibe but didn't want it in her room, so i got the tree and she just went with some lights strung about her place. She also needed space away from people with her illness, never knowing when she could sleep or not and more or less always feeling exhausted.

as i said, it may look like an odd arrangement to a lot of people but given the circumstances it worked for us as a family.

their father ruined xmas for them when they were younger: rage, smashed up xmas, drink/drugs/whatever as his excuse, oh, and the xmas he finally left on a lie...leaving them waiting for him to come home with their gifts, with a stripped back house and no xmas food or anything where we were supposed to be moving but in reality he was going to play santa with another family but told us he was stuck working. Such a great guy :rolleyes: But even before that they weren't fans of a traditional xmas dinner; they just liked the sweet stuff and my son wanted spag bol :D

Yeah,, he just wasn't into it as a 'thing' but enjoyed the gifts and all the chocolate. He needed his own space, arranged as he felt comfortable with, and not a huge amount of interaction with people in spaces he wasn't in charge of and could make people leave if he preferred. My daughter enjoyed the more xmassy vibe but didn't want it in her room, so i got the tree and she just went with some lights strung about her place. She also needed space away from people with her illness, never knowing when she could sleep or not and more or less always feeling exhausted.

as i said, it may look like an odd arrangement to a lot of people but given the circumstances it worked for us as a family.
Oh crikey - the food thing! I can remember being very uncomfortable about food. Yea, spagbol - what's the big deal with this xmas thing? I like spag bol! I would always do what I was told because I was more fearful of getting into trouble than I was grossed by gravy on the wrong part of the plate.

I saw an interview of Temple Grandin who advocates strict upbringing for kids who she considers Asperger - a definition she thinks should still exist. I agree. Mum wasn't strict in the sense of mean, but she gave me rules and boundaries, so I knew where I was in a social setting.

It breaks my heart to see the family next door with their non-verbal son. I can see the stress in the parents ( the Dad is kinda on the spectrum ). I wouldn't be surprised if they split up - I think they're only staying together for the kids but there's nothing going on like you had. Jeepers - that was like something from a bad situ-drama on tv o_O

Oh crikey - the food thing! I can remember being very uncomfortable about food. Yea, spagbol - what's the big deal with this xmas thing? I like spag bol! I would always do what I was told because I was more fearful of getting into trouble than I was grossed by gravy on the wrong part of the plate.

I saw an interview of Temple Grandin who advocates strict upbringing for kids who she considers Asperger - a definition she thinks should still exist. I agree. Mum wasn't strict in the sense of mean, but she gave me rules and boundaries, so I knew where I was in a social setting.

It breaks my heart to see the family next door with their non-verbal son. I can see the stress in the parents ( the Dad is kinda on the spectrum ). I wouldn't be surprised if they split up - I think they're only staying together for the kids but there's nothing going on like you had. Jeepers - that was like something from a bad situ-drama on tv o_O
rules and boundaries are needed for any kids, but i totally get your point as to learning what is and is not socially acceptable since the different perspectives of spectrum-kids can make it confusing for them. Still, it needs to be done with kindness and not some dominance-driven shit you see sometimes.

My entire life with that psycho reads like a bad situ-drama. When you're caught up in the maelstrom, it's hard to be able to think let alone see things clearly. That's why every day's a good day, now.

I'm sorting out my Christmas outfit, though struggling between forrest green and charcoal gray shorts. Any tips from the fashionistas her

View attachment 2195469
My tree this year looks very like that!

I picked up loads of the red and gold chains of beads cheap in WHSmiths after Xmas one year when I was a student and have used them ever since.

it's finally beginning to feel like xmas! Colder weather, food agreed on and mostly here with just last minute stuff to actually make, wood chopped, knowing more or less who will and won't be making it for xmas dinner... but all of these felt disparate till i decided on the right tree. It's perfect for the space and is sitting looking beautiful and smelling as good even before i get around to trimming it.

It was sat back to back with another, smaller one on the bank. Now that other one can fill out and grow better. This one's flat back is against the corner but the front and sides are a great shape, so balanced, plenty of branches. It wasn't possible to dig it out as its trunk was going down between limestone but it'll die looking absolutely fabUlous. It's made me so happy having this one. Makes my xmas, never mind anything else!

ooh, size-wise it's showing (the bucket is inside a side table that has a glass top which lifts out) from the top of the table... so from around 20-24" high, with the top about 6" shy of the ceiling. I'll have to forego the star this year, i think, since the two I have are too heavy for its slender tip, and i'm guestimating the showing part is around 6' tall by 4' broad. *happy sigh*

it's finally beginning to feel like xmas! Colder weather, food agreed on and mostly here with just last minute stuff to actually make, wood chopped, knowing more or less who will and won't be making it for xmas dinner... but all of these felt disparate till i decided on the right tree. It's perfect for the space and is sitting looking beautiful and smelling as good even before i get around to trimming it.

It was sat back to back with another, smaller one on the bank. Now that other one can fill out and grow better. This one's flat back is against the corner but the front and sides are a great shape, so balanced, plenty of branches. It wasn't possible to dig it out as its trunk was going down between limestone but it'll die looking absolutely fabUlous. It's made me so happy having this one. Makes my xmas, never mind anything else!

ooh, size-wise it's showing (the bucket is inside a side table that has a glass top which lifts out) from the top of the table... so from around 20-24" high, with the top about 6" shy of the ceiling. I'll have to forego the star this year, i think, since the two I have are too heavy for its slender tip, and i'm guestimating the showing part is around 6' tall by 4' broad. *happy sigh*
Happiness is... :D

Back