New to writing stories here

For the group:

I have seen stories published here that have horrendous formatting and grammar, so I wonder if moderators for each section have different criteria. If so, which sections have the more stringent standards?

There's only one submissions editor for Literotica. There aren't "moderators for each section" of the story file. So, no, that idea has zero traction.

I’m really confused by some of the responses here, and feeling a little attacked. I stated the story was checked by more than one person - I didn’t rely on only my eye to proof read. I simply said it was rejected to explain why I wasn’t continuing with the thread topic. I also had a few PMs from people asking me to let them know when it was published, so I stated it wasn’t accepted here, in order to stop those PMs coming.

I’ve even stated, quite clearly, that I enjoyed writing it so it served a purpose, and that I wasn’t even certain I wanted it published. I’m not as invested in this as some of these responses suggest. I wrote a story, I enjoyed writing it, I’m happy I did it and I’m not phased at all that it wasn’t accepted. It does not bother me at all. I am not analysing why it was rejected, and I don’t want to re-submit the particular story, because as I had stated - I had started to wonder whether I really wanted a true story told on the site.

I’m just repeating myself now, but I simply wanted to post the update that it hadn’t been accepted, and to leave it there. I am not seeking help with it, I am not trying to re-submit it, I am happy leaving it as a story just for me and anyone I decide to personally share it with later. I’m not angry, upset, moaning etc, I honestly have no feelings whatsoever about it being rejected. It was just a completely unemotional update to a thread I started. I only mentioned what the response said because I was asked.

That’s it. I got what I wanted out of the story, and i think I’ve been quite positive about the rejection, and have even said it was a relief in the end. I’m not sure why it’s even being suggested that I’m upset or questioning it, or asking for help or trying to get it accepted. I am really not. It’s just a story, that I wrote for myself. It does not matter at all in the grand scheme of things. It’s just that - an update and nothing more.

Happy writing everyone :)

I think it's because as writers it's hard for a lot of us to process the idea of disinterest in publishing a story ("Oh, well," doesn't really compute). In our defense, you did say it was a blow to your confidence, which makes a lot of us feel compelled to see it as a problem and search for a solution.

As a few other people have already said: don't give up - unless, of course, you want to give up. Try to find an editor. And if you can't, send me a PM. Literotica is what it is; and most of what it is is pretty good. :)

There's only one submissions editor for Literotica. There aren't "moderators for each section" of the story file. So, no, that idea has zero traction.

I know that this is true but can't comprehend how Laurel does this. Every single day, day after day, dozens and dozens of stories. Unless there are many Laurels. That may be the case. Do you have any idea how she does this?

I know that this is true but can't comprehend how Laurel does this. Every single day, day after day, dozens and dozens of stories. Unless there are many Laurels. That may be the case. Do you have any idea how she does this?

Nope.

Quickly. Hence standard rejection notes, and the ability for the site to self-regulate (at the whim of readers) with the 'reporting' facility and, in some cases, subsequent take-down of stories that got through her first pass.

I’ve worked as a professional writer and editor — typically on non-fiction. But I’m happy to edit and give feedback.

For the group:

I have seen stories published here that have horrendous formatting and grammar, so I wonder if moderators for each section have different criteria. If so, which sections have the more stringent standards?

I've seen this too, and it makes me wonder what criteria are used to accept or reject stories. For instance, I've seen plenty of published stories that show no understanding at all of how to punctuate quotations. I've seen stories rife with misspelling, with constant tense shifting, and even with random changes in the point of view. It amazes me that they slip by when others get rejected.

It probably would be useful for the admin to post a more comprehensive set of criteria for getting a story published, so there was less uncertainty.

The issue, I think, is that so many stories are going through the hands of one person that all you're getting is a quick scan. On a quick scan it's easy for something to pop out on one story but not be seen on another. All of the comprehensive guidelines in the world aren't going to help this, because the haphazardness you get from a quick scan ain't gonna change and also because there will always be writers who either don't read the guidelines or who decide they don't apply to what they wrote.

The issue, I think, is that so many stories are going through the hands of one person that all you're getting is a quick scan. On a quick scan it's easy for something to pop out on one story but not be seen on another. All of the comprehensive guidelines in the world aren't going to help this, because the haphazardness you get from a quick scan ain't gonna change and also because there will always be writers who either don't read the guidelines or who decide they don't apply to what they wrote.

This makes sense, and it explains the seeming haphazardness of rejections and acceptances.

keep the faith

Many authors here have given you great advice, advice which I can't fault. So all I can say is be true to yourself and write what you believe in.

I have written various stories but soon found myself to be a slave to votes and comments.

I found that if I left the sex to a minimum and concentrated on the human aspect, then I was criticised for my story not being 'hot' enough, and when I tried to 'please my readers' and make the story dirty then it just became a litany of sex scenes I was then criticised for that.

Forget the haters, forget the scores and just write from the heart, because believe me, one message from someone who genuinely appreciates what you are trying to portray in your story and is affected by what you have written, is the most gratifying feeling there is.

Write what is in your heart and not what you hope the people out there will vote for

I found that if I left the sex to a minimum and concentrated on the human aspect, then I was criticised for my story not being 'hot' enough, and when I tried to 'please my readers' and make the story dirty then it just became a litany of sex scenes I was then criticised for that.

You can of course do both, sexuality being a key part of the human condition. Hot sex and humanity aren't mutually exclusive (or shouldn't be).

Back