Need a new word for laugh

IMHO English has a poor selection of words to describe the act of laughing. Giggle and titter have their uses but are too juvenile for most older characters. Chuckle and chortle sound odd and clown-like. Snicker and snigger also sound weird. How often are guffaw, howl or whoop useful?

I‘d love to have another option to describe a laugh that is somewhat less than a full laugh. A minor laugh. Why isn’t there an option with more grace than chuckle or snicker? What do y’all think? Do you like chuckle and snicker? Is there another word I’m missing?

Maybe we could collectively create a new word. That would be a fun exercise, and if several of us use the new word in stories, it might even enter into common usage here on Lit. If you have ideas, please share.

Chortle? Titter?

Well, chortle isn't graceful. A wheezy chortle is what the dog had in the Tex Avery cartoon 'Bad Luck Blackie'.

A titter is something a lady does behind her fingers or the back of her hand, so that's more elegant and posh, maybe.

IMHO English has a poor selection of words to describe the act of laughing. Giggle and titter have their uses but are too juvenile for most older characters. Chuckle and chortle sound odd and clown-like. Snicker and snigger also sound weird. How often are guffaw, howl or whoop useful?

I‘d love to have another option to describe a laugh that is somewhat less than a full laugh. A minor laugh. Why isn’t there an option with more grace than chuckle or snicker? What do y’all think? Do you like chuckle and snicker? Is there another word I’m missing?

Maybe we could collectively create a new word. That would be a fun exercise, and if several of us use the new word in stories, it might even enter into common usage here on Lit. If you have ideas, please share.
I've rarely used things like "giggle" or "snicker" for the reasons you gave. If I need a minor laugh I usually describe the action some other way: "coughed into his coffee and smiled," various exclamations, "covered her mouth to stifle a laugh," etc.

I got so tired of using ‘laugh’ and dislike ‘giggle’ for the reasons noted that I got a list of as many synonyms as possible. You are correct: We could use more words.
To me chuckle is one of the best but snicker seems to have almost a bit of sinister undertone. Titter reminds me of a snobbish school girl group and chortle suggests an older male.

Giggle is the usual term for a minor laugh, but I don't find its connotations have the same inference as does 'laugh lightly.' Cachinnate is an interesting one for a major guffaw, if you want a seldom-used word. If we're looking to coin a new term, there may be some possibilities from 'risible,' derived from the Latin for 'laugh,' risio.

My tendency is to stick with the common word, like laugh, unless the situation calls for a different word. I think authors sometimes worry too much that they are repeating themselves. It's like worrying about using the word "said" too much. Readers don't really care, and if you look at how it's done by successful, professional authors they tend to use words that are common and on point. My approach would be to try not to use the word too often rather than to try to find a too-clever synonym.

To me chuckle is one of the best but snicker seems to have almost a bit of sinister undertone.
I’ve used chuckle, but it brings to mind Chuckles the Clown (you have to be old to get the reference). Snicker does seem to have a bite to it.

My tendency is to stick with the common word, like laugh, unless the situation calls for a different word. I think authors sometimes worry too much that they are repeating themselves. It's like worrying about using the word "said" too much. Readers don't really care, and if you look at how it's done by successful, professional authors they tend to use words that are common and on point. My approach would be to try not to use the word too often rather than to try to find a too-clever synonym.
I do stick with laugh most of the time, but obviously that lacks nuance. My characters frequently do something that’s less than a full laugh. Maybe I’m odd that way.

I have the same problem with 'smiled' I probably use it too much but grinned etc have other connotations (I do, however, love an impish grin)
I think it often depends on the character who's laughing. When people are being cheeky then I think giggle is often a good description and I probably use it more for females than males.

Not sure what voice you're using, but if narrating, you could describe the laugh (or if first person the effect and nature of the laugh.)

His laugh was light, involuntary but self-conscious.

This only works if you want it to advance the story or reveal something about the character, otherwise it's more words and unnecessary. But sometimes an oblique description is a handy tool.

I do stick with laugh most of the time, but obviously that lacks nuance. My characters frequently do something that’s less than a full laugh. Maybe I’m odd that way.

Not at all, IF another word more accurately describes what they really are doing. It becomes awkward, to me, as a reader, when it feels like the author is reaching to find another word rather than accepting the simple and obvious one. Then, to me, it seems like pseudo-sophisticated writing. But sometimes "grinned" or "smiled" or "guffawed" are perfectly legitimate options.

The thing is, I wouldn't sweat it. It's OK to stick with "laugh" if that's the accurate word.

Snort is great and indicates someone fighting a laugh, like they have completely lost control of their body, and let's face it. that's part of what having a laugh is all about.

Yes, since I'm basically writing a romantic comedy series, it is challenging to find the right word to convey mirth without overuse. I don't dare do a word count on "laugh", "chuckle", nor "giggle". "Giggle" sort of works in my particular story(ies) since it is mostly about a group of young women. "Snicker" comes into play every once in a while, since the connotation is whatever was funny was at somebody's expense. I recently used "snort" when a character was surprised by something out of the blue.

But sometimes "grinned" or "smiled" or "guffawed" are perfectly legitimate options.

Yep.

I've made my peace with the limitations, and carry on with the carrying on.

And then there's "jocular". :rolleyes: Uh... nope.

The WordHippo web site is great for exploring alternate words and phrases. For example, when I was writing an astronomy bit about black holes, it led me to "ebony aperture" :)

The WordHippo web site is great for exploring alternate words and phrases. For example, when I was writing an astronomy bit about black holes, it led me to "ebony aperture" :)
That does NOT sound like they were talking about astronomy.

Although it is fitting for this website.

A softer laugh can be replaced with an amused huff. Maybe a hum and a smile.

It could always be that perhaps your characters are laughing too much. Like a laugh track on a sitcom that plays whenever anyone says anything remotely clever, it can make the person doing the laughing seem less interesting. You can leave the laughter to the reader.

Last edited:
Grinned or smirked frequently work for me.

Snorts, gasping for breath, reaching fever pitch, becoming somewhat hysterical...

People can riposte or be cheeky.

Does anyone else do this? I write a lot of jokes/funny comments for my characters but them feel guilty about the reporting verb. So I'll write...

"That's not what the hippopotamus said!" laughed Susan.

And then feel bad, like I'm the one laughing at my own jokes My characters end up completely deadpan most of the time.

There are plenty of good words here for laughing.

Guffaw is a word I haven't seen yet here. It's a little fancy, but it could be used in certain situations.

I sometimes see 'Crack Up' or 'crack me up' as a metaphor for laughing. For example "You always crack me up" or "The comedian made the audience crack up."

Does anyone else do this? I write a lot of jokes/funny comments for my characters but them feel guilty about the reporting verb. So I'll write...

"That's not what the hippopotamus said!" laughed Susan

And then feel bad, like I'm the one laughing at my own jokes My characters end up completely deadpan most of the time.

I don't think that's generally a bad approach. It's clear & concise while also explaining the character's emotive state. Like anything, it could be abused, 'course.

“Blethorate”.

There you go, a totally new word for laughter, coined just for you. 😁

I'm game. What's your etymology on that?

"He blethorated coffee out his nose when she flashed her bum at him. Damn short skirts!"

snicker, snigger, titter, tee-hee, ha-ha, haw-haw, yuk-yuk; break up, crack up, burst out laughing; shake with laughter, be convulsed, split one's sides, roll on the floor, be in stitches, double up or over, die (as in die laughing); guffaw, yuk it up, yuk; chortle, chuckle, cackle; cachinnate, roar, shriek. Banter, chaff, rib, kid, Sl. razz; flout, scorn, sneer at, pooh-pooh; hiss, boo, hoot at, heckle, belly laugh; chortle, chuckle, cackle; cachinnation, risibility; fit of laughter, peal of laughter, burst of laughter, roar, boffo.

Back