A Man Posted On Lit. What Happened Next Is Astounding.

jackburns

titles are for egos
After being up for quite some time (I could calculate the exact date but that would require me to log in and back reference the post and why waste time on that when I could be writing?) and then on my to-do list of things to remove (which you can’t do so my previous post is still around for one’s reading pleasure), I decided to write a new post. I could have just bumped the old one, which would mean that I wouldn’t have to reference the date AND I wouldn’t have to write. Like linens it helps to replace now and then. And it’s way too hot for me to go outside and garden.

I was also thinking of something Quentin Crisp once wrote. (I highly recommend his works if you need to just feel good about life.) Despite his notoriety, he always kept his phone number listed in the phone book. If you’re a Millennial and have never seen a phone book, Google the topic. Or ask your parents. Anyways, his reasoning was that if no one could find his phone number he would be stuck with his friends. And what fun would that be?

It would be OK for me. I have a small circle of friends and I’m enjoying being around then again as we creep towards a post-pandemic life. Here is where I shall deviate from Mr. Crisp, who would say that everything about you should be out there. Maybe that’s not quite for me. I can appreciate the little bit of screen a site like this has to offer. This is my equivalent of a listed number.

After a quick look in on the chickens I am back. One of my chickens has a cluck that is not so much a cluck but a sound I equate to a goose getting choked. This causes a bit of a panic sometimes but never is there a predator in site or in sound. In fact, sometimes she just waddles around in the open when hawks circle overhead. In many ways chickens are smart. Not this one.

Here’s the scoop. You would like quality conversation. Doesn’t have to be about sex all the time, but consider the URL of this site. Why else would a well-adjusted adult be here? To shop for shoes or counter-top hydroponics? And why do the ad servers think both those important to me? Given that 97% of my online purchases go to music, makes no sense at all. Which leads to another good question: what do I spend the remaining 3% on?

Anyways, you are smart. Emotionally you’re well put together. You’re open-minded in the truest sense of the word. It would be nice if you read, I dunno, a good book now and then and maybe a magazine that isn’t found at supermarket checkouts. Not that they sell magazines at the checkouts anymore. Guess I’ve dated myself there. You can be from any part of the country too. Or maybe even overseas, but I warn you that I failed both Spanish and French in high school and college. Google translate makes horrible things happen and best we stick to English.

You can be married or not. I am, and frankly I love it. The chances we will ever meet are so close to zero that there is no concern that anyone’s domestic bliss will be threatened. It’s good if you have a minimum number of pets, and they should be species that have specifically been human companions for millennia. Two is good; three is pushing it, anything more than that and you may be an animal hoarder. Or a farmer who needs work dogs or barn cats to control vermin. For that I guess I can grant a waiver. Even if you aren’t a farmer, you at least like the outdoors and understand that you don’t need an entire backpack full of food and a $300 walking stick to enjoy a nice hike. By extension that means you care about your health. Doesn’t matter if you are a size 2 or a size 18. Are you healthy enough that you could go for a 10-mile bike ride, or do yoga for an hour without a trip to the ER? Bingo.

Overall, you’re a respectable person, looked up to in the community except by that neighbor down the street who thinks your naturalized yard is just a weed patch and calls you Mr. Green Jeans behind your back. The main thing is, like me, most people wouldn’t expect that you enjoy talking about adult subjects such as sex.

About me: average looking; safe to say it’s my brains that have gotten me to where I am today. Otherwise, your typical mixed-northern-European-heritage American. Average height. Introverted. More of a homebody/hobbit than a globetrotter. Lover of great food, mid-century music and mid-century furniture. Confession: I don’t own any mid-century furniture as it doesn’t fit my home’s décor. I also love words; can you tell? I wish people would notice that it’s not that I am smart, I am curious. My bookshelves are half-filled with books, a few of which I have yet to read, and half-filled with records, and all have been listened to at least once. Thinks the typical American male dresses with way too little color. Earth tones are nice but not every. Damn. Shirt. I am probably a bit of a perv but I can’t think of any real perversions I have. I’m not going to call you names, I’m not going to be your daddy (or son for that matter), I think pain during sex is flat-out odd (I don’t want to feel pain while getting a blow job, that’s for sure). I don’t have any fetishes. In fact, you can look through all the posts of very specific interests that people are looking to fill and I probably conform to none of them.

So up goes this post. I have met people, but things change, people sometimes move on, or real life just gets in the way of a site like this that exists mainly as recreation.

In closing, I’m just seeking someone to have adult conversations with, talk about past sexual experiences (which for some reason I have thinking about a lot lately, and not because I have a terminal illness either). Talk about the price of wood. Or personal philosophies. Nah, maybe just the wood. I guess just someone who can be a confidante. Which means after a few back and forths you can just ghost me because I’m a bit too normal. Or maybe wait a few days and then ghost me. No worries. I love my life, and I love expanding my horizons a bit by meeting new people now and then.

OK, y’all can start flooding my inbox now.

More details needed

I think that you would get more mail in your inbox if you provided more details about what you are looking for. Probably 400 - 500 pages would be reasonable if you use a .8 font.

However, I must fully agree... this is astounding. My eyes are dilated and my mouth is open in a gasping mode.

I wear reading glasses. A 0.8 font is completely out of the question.

And best not to hold your mouth open like that. This time of year who knows what kind of bug might fly in. There are better ways to get protein.

Quentin Crisp! I haven't heard that name in ages. Well done and well written. And why not a long, witty post on a site ostensibly serious about writing? No need for snark from someone who's been out here one day.

Good luck, jackburns!

I'm not surprised the name has been semi-lost to the age. His visit to our planet ended what, 20 years ago? What did he once say about his longevity, I plan on living to 100 with 10 years off for good behavior?

The question is do I need to prepare for the long haul or not?

As you undoubtedly know, Crisp lived in NYC for many years near the end of his life. A good friend of mine got to know him and always adored his company. The world could use his wit now.

As for your question, an obscure postmodern philosopher named Jack Reacher recommends this approach: hope for the best, plan for the worst.

After a pandemic year, I've been wearied by always planning for the worst. I shall make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich again and engage in that age-old debate: which were better, the Temptations "love" songs or the "psychedelic" songs?

Damn you clickbait!!!
giphy.webp

Srsly...well done. :)
As an Imgurian, I give you +1. Good luck to finding the connection you seek!
Xxo
Amy

Damn you clickbait!!!
giphy.webp

Srsly...well done. :)
As an Imgurian, I give you +1. Good luck to finding the connection you seek!
Xxo
Amy
Thank you. what, no GIF with bacon? No worried, best wishes are better than bacon. Right?

That might be all I need. Looks like someone else provided the bacon. Though I've never seen it served in quite that way.

One more bump won't hurt anything. Might even shake a few of the ghosts away.

One more bump for old time's sake, while I think of a new clever/witty thing to say. Unlikely as I'm waiting for the oven timer to go off any second now and there it is.

Hello and well done!

Jack Burns,

You are a man I’d be inclined to admire. The thread title pulled me in quick and I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your post. I was listed in the phone book when there was such a thing in my area. And, although it may sound strange, I enjoyed the sometimes random wrong number call… even carried on a short conversation with some at times. Also, enjoy talking about the price of lumber, gas and the outside work we are doing in our woods and on our property.

I hope you have a great day and let’s chat sometime. I’m enjoying a good cup of tea right now myself.

Thanks,

Jay

Back