Mental Illness

So I'm still "taking a break from my mother" and trying to quell my worry and thoughts about her in general. I realized I'm ALWAYS the one that makes amends though I'm not the one that offends. When I do it just puts me back in the soup. I'm tired of that. So this time I'm going to wait and see if she sees she needs to change. That's the plan. I realize that most likely she will do some really stupid shit instead (like remarry her ex, who she doesn't like or trust and spend a lot of money on crap) but I can't save her. I just can't. What I can do is save myself.

On the daugther front, she is doing much better. More of her brain is back and working. She is still not 100% but she is being more independent from me. Ahhh!

On the son front, he isn't doing much. He claims he is working hard at not shutting down. But he is always easy to be around. I'm not doing as much for him or any of the people above. I'm waiting for him to do more for himself.

Both of my kids are staying on their meds and in counseling. That is good.

FurryFury

It's really good your kids are sticking with their meds and counseling. I didn't realize how big of an issue that is until my son got so sick and is refusing meds and cutting back on counseling.

Huge hugs for you!

Thanks Ecstaticsub

I hope your son begins to understand that he needs to counseling and drugs to make progress. *HUGS*

My girl hates to take meds and sometimes throws them up. I told her that she needed to change her attitude about them. Consider them her helpers and friends because without them she acts like a three year old.

I wish someone had told me more than a year ago that when you have heat stroke part of your brain cells get burned up and therefore, your brain has to rewire itself. This can take a VERY long time. I would have understood better what was going on. Therefore I would have been less afraid. She's not 100% yet but dayum, she's better and I've been pretty terrified.

Sadly my daugther doesn't seem to feel or realize her progress until someone points it out to her. The ways she shocks me is pretty much endless.

She also hates counseling and sees no point to it. I've simply told her she needs it and is required to go at least once a month. She's 22 so she doesn't have to listen to me but so far that's worked this year.

:rose:

While I have not fully followed this thread from start to finish, I'm wondering if another counselor may be in order. My daughter is currently going to a counselor, and based on my experience with her and my own. I know that if you don't "click" with the counselor nothing really gets accomplished.

*HUGS EVERYONE*
I've read all recent posts and can't think well enough to respond, but please, ALL of you, know that I'm thinking of you and I sends lots and lots of vibes your way!!!

I'm seeing the "manic" part of my Bipolar for the first time in years. I'm mostly depressive-Bipolar, the only time I've ever noticed the manic was when I had to completely stop all meds for a physical illness. Well, doctor recently (2 weeks) put me on Zoloft, and I think it was a huge mistake. I've NEVER felt like this before. I get hyper sometimes, sure, but nothing like this, legs totally spazzing can't stay still, *screaming* 'cause I feel like I just need to get all the energy out *somehow*, bouncing around in bed for hours (literally bouncing) at night....

And doctor doesn't think it's 'cause of the Zoloft. In fact, and THIS is where I mentally went "wait HOLD UP, may be time for a 2nd opinion), she thinks I'm "acting out" and exhibiting "child-like behavior problems" even though she couldn't point to any actual proof other then the fact that I'm cutting more often. Honestly that PISSED me off. So.... yeah. That's where I am right now.

Actually, Freud opposed perversions to neuroses. If you have a perversion, then you're avoiding a neurosis. At the end of the day, what this means is if you have a perversion you can still function in Society, if you have a neurosis your ability to function is seriously impaired. Freud just took the Society of his day as a given. He didn't really question its values. People have neuroses for a reason. They are twisted and turned - perversion is a way out.

*HUGS EVERYONE*
I've read all recent posts and can't think well enough to respond, but please, ALL of you, know that I'm thinking of you and I sends lots and lots of vibes your way!!!

I'm seeing the "manic" part of my Bipolar for the first time in years. I'm mostly depressive-Bipolar, the only time I've ever noticed the manic was when I had to completely stop all meds for a physical illness. Well, doctor recently (2 weeks) put me on Zoloft, and I think it was a huge mistake. I've NEVER felt like this before. I get hyper sometimes, sure, but nothing like this, legs totally spazzing can't stay still, *screaming* 'cause I feel like I just need to get all the energy out *somehow*, bouncing around in bed for hours (literally bouncing) at night....

And doctor doesn't think it's 'cause of the Zoloft. In fact, and THIS is where I mentally went "wait HOLD UP, may be time for a 2nd opinion), she thinks I'm "acting out" and exhibiting "child-like behavior problems" even though she couldn't point to any actual proof other then the fact that I'm cutting more often. Honestly that PISSED me off. So.... yeah. That's where I am right now.

Definitely get a second opinion. Some anti-depressants WILL cause a shift into mania. You can't know which ones will and which won't before you try them because people react so differently to them, but it definitely happens.

Bi-Bunny is right, different meds have different reactions in different people. My wife went through a phase where her Dr was cycling through all the trendy new meds he could find. It was a nightmare. One of them did eventually help, but it's a delicate cocktail and good ol' often overlooked Lithium is a major player. (and only $9 at Wall Mart!)

Finding the right cocktail is almost an art. If you don't feel you Dr. is giving you good advice, then look for a second opinion. Any med changes should be slow and deliberate with any and all changes monitored.

Just my $0.02 from having been through it several times.

Think I need different meds, 4 weeks in, the side effects are not abating. My head is in a better place, by physically, the constant nausea, shaking and muscle spasm is driving me to distraction.
It's a shame because for the first time in months, I feel I have stepped off the rollercoaster :(

Sweetdaisymae,

How frustrating. Be sure to let your doctor know. *HUGS*

Think I need different meds, 4 weeks in, the side effects are not abating. My head is in a better place, by physically, the constant nausea, shaking and muscle spasm is driving me to distraction.
It's a shame because for the first time in months, I feel I have stepped off the rollercoaster :(

I agree with FF. Tell your Dr. about the side effects, there is likely another med that will achieve the same results without the same effects, or another drug that will counteract the effects. It's a delicate balance. almost 1/2 of my wife's cocktail is to balance out the other 1/2.

Thanks guys, she has offered diazipam to counter the shakes, but I think I would rather try another anti D first, I hate pill popping at the best of times.

Med tweak to get me through the fall. Lord Jesus, let it work. I've had the motivation of a corpse and the attention span of a two-year-old for over a month now. :rolleyes:

I'm sending you my best thoughts and I hope the new meds work, BiBunny.

Thanks.

My son is doing okay but not making any breakthroughs toward getting a job and getting past his anxieties.

My girl didn't take her meds three days this week because she vomited on her meds box. She keeps throwing up and having reflux and won't listen to me about avoiding acid, caffeine, walking after she eats and so on. OTOH, she is still doing remarkably okay. I had to have a "come to jesus" meeting with her today about her credit card bill this month. She controlled her words and anger. That's pretty awesome when she's been off meds.

My mother's last letter told me she would not contact me anymore because our relationship was too painful for her. Since then she's called three times. I delivered her lap top that we had worked on for her today without contact with her. But she is now acting like I'm the one who is keeping us apart and she never said the other.

At this point I'm pretty done with her. If she can't tell me she knows what the issues are, own it and that she will work on it, I see no point in riding that roller coaster over and over again. I have no plans to contact her from this point on unless something seriously changes.

So, in conclusion we are doing fine. Thanks for asking. *HUGS*

I guess this would be a mental illness blurt.

It is humbling to see that a strategy that you adopted in childhood for Getting Things You Need has not been effective for, oh, a long-ass time. In fact, it's been destructive. But you don't know any other way. So you double down on that strategy. And when it doesn't work AGAIN, you feel bad, because, hmm, maybe you didn't do it well enough, or hard enough? Or maybe you're just basically fucked up?

It's self-persecution. Now, I have a lot of sadism baked into my sexuality. But I really don't enjoy this form of emotional self-masochism. So, my inner sadist is beating my vanilla psyche, who apparently just wants to fuck missionary style, while kissing and exchanging sweet nothings, and then cuddle and watch Colbert while eating Ben & Jerry's Blueberry Vanilla Graham Greek Frozen Yogurt?

Wait. Did I really just take a blurt shopping?

I need to arrest these non-working strategies early on, and try something different. Then psychic beatings and bruises will be fewer.

DeepGreenEyes,

It's difficult work to change life long tendencies and mind sets. *HUGS*

I will keep denying, but I will keep taking the pills. And I look at the bottles every day and make a decision—and because I don’t have the answers I will do what they tell me, for once in my life.

Back