Absolution (closed)

"He said tha' his daughters are lookin' to find husbands," Brogan shrugged. "He didn' want to arrange anythin', jus' wondered if I'd be interested in meeting his elder daughter t'see if we migh' like each other. He said 'e wanted t'make a new friendship with Scotland, an' 'is daughter's 'ave always wanted t'live there."

Kitty was very quiet as he said that, thinking about her own arranged marriage and how that had turned out. She didn't want any of her children to fall into that trap.

"I think you know how I feel about marrying someone that you barely know. I also don't want you to feel like you have to get married to fulfill a sense of duty." Kitty said softly, looking up at her son. "You are still very young and you have all the time in the world."

"I'm no' really tha' interested in marryin'. But I want t'welcome them fer a' least some event, be friendly. An' if I like Sarah Monaghan... Well, we'll see."

"Between you boys and your sister, I'll never be able to relax." Kitty said, kissing his cheek as they continued their walk. "At least I don't have to worry about Ashien and Kayla for a very long time."

"You will," Brogan chuckled softly. "Both wantin' to go off to study with other mentors an' work with horses and in other courts... You'll worry all th' time. An' with Val too."

“Just promise me that anyone you find that you want to marry, you’ll put them far above yourself.” Kitty said, knowing that her sons all had gentle souls. “And you’ll never raise your hand to them in anger. If I hear that you have, I will take you over my knee myself.”

"Never," Brogan promised. "After Da... I'm no' interested in hurtin' anyone ever again." He would live with the knowledge of what he'd done to his father- however rightfully- forever. He felt guilt, but he also knew it had been necessary. "I'm in no rush t'marry at all, but... it'd be nice t'find a partner, a best friend who wanted t'be with me."

“I think Ireland in the fall would be lovely.” She said, giving him a small smile as she let him know in her own way that she supported whatever he wanted to do.

Patting her hand on his arm, Brogan smiled lightly and they continued on their way down the shore with no particular destination in mind. The following night, Vincenzo helped Valentina make a small feast and they all gathered to enjoy family and the peace of knowing everyone was okay now for the most part.

Valentina was much better, sitting next to Carmena at the dinner table as she explained everything to her grandmother who doted on her. Carmena doted on all of the children, but Valentina would always have a soft spot in her heart. Kitty watched over the little girl with a smile, knowing that she was on the right path after so much sorrow. She would write Warwick and tell him about how she was starting to flourish, assuring him that there should be no regrets on his part.

Back