Mental Illness

Hey, everybody. I just wanted to check in and tell y'all thanks so much for the good wishes.

I'm still not happy, but due to a (self-imposed) increase in meds, a talk with a friend, some sleep, and a couple of PMs from our very own Kojote (thank you so much, my dear), I'm at least not panicking anymore. At the moment, that's all I can ask for.

And for anyone else who needs it, here's the hokiest song ever. I've been listening to it pretty much since I got up today.

Hey, everybody. I just wanted to check in and tell y'all thanks so much for the good wishes.

I'm still not happy, but due to a (self-imposed) increase in meds, a talk with a friend, some sleep, and a couple of PMs from our very own Kojote (thank you so much, my dear), I'm at least not panicking anymore. At the moment, that's all I can ask for.

It was my pleasure.
And if need arises I'd totally do something really stupid to lighten up your mood.
;)

Drinking on meds seems to be leading to rapid cycling for my girl. Sure we are on vacation and sure she is legal to drink now but how about taking care of your health after three summer hospitalizations? Ugh.

Drinking on meds seems to be leading to rapid cycling for my girl. Sure we are on vacation and sure she is legal to drink now but how about taking care of your health after three summer hospitalizations? Ugh.

Drinking on meds is usually a terrible idea. I don't know what she's on, but most likely it's not a good thing. But that's another one of those personal responsibility things I talked about awhile back, and I have no idea how you teach it to someone else.

It's a really bad idea. I looked that up when her med protocol changed. I've def taught this lesson. She's just refusing to learn.

:rose:

Drinking on meds is usually a terrible idea. I don't know what she's on, but most likely it's not a good thing. But that's another one of those personal responsibility things I talked about awhile back, and I have no idea how you teach it to someone else.

Thanks!

*hugs*

I just want to see her comfortable in her own skin, mind and not making crisis I have to clean up for her. Hopefully that starts this year though this latest is NOT a good sign.

*Hugs*

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. :rose:

My experience as a nurse has taught me that the ability to get heathy (from illnesses both physical and mental) *must* come from within a person (sounds trite, I know!) Try as we might we can't make those around us better, only help them and support them to the best of our abilities. I've seen people who everyone wrote off as "lost causes" walk out the door healthy, and I've seen people who "should have been fine" wither. It is torture to sit back and watch, not able to *do* anything but provide support when it's needed, but it is all we can do sometimes for those we love.

As for your original question regarding the prevalence of mental illness in Western society, some people are genuinely in need of help and others are genuinely looking for excuses. We have to trust those making the diagnosis to know the difference and sometimes that trust is misplaced. Doctors (and nurses!) tend to like things in neat packages that can be cured or at least managed. That has lead to a HUGE expansion of vocabulary in defining mental illnesses. So, with more descriptors, there are more of us that tend to fit those descriptions.

I AM NOT diminishing the need for help and support for those people who have a diagnosis. Lord knows there isn't ENOUGH support out there for some. I'm just making a comment from my own experience.

As for your original question regarding the prevalence of mental illness in Western society, some people are genuinely in need of help and others are genuinely looking for excuses.

This is very true. There are also genuinely mentally ill people who are still looking for excuses and still want to use others as crutches, believing that their illness gives them every right to do as they please. Doesn't make life easy for those of us who are willing to take responsibility. :mad:

I agree with you.

My experience as a nurse has taught me that the ability to get heathy (from illnesses both physical and mental) *must* come from within a person (sounds trite, I know!) Try as we might we can't make those around us better, only help them and support them to the best of our abilities. I've seen people who everyone wrote off as "lost causes" walk out the door healthy, and I've seen people who "should have been fine" wither. It is torture to sit back and watch, not able to *do* anything but provide support when it's needed, but it is all we can do sometimes for those we love.

As for your original question regarding the prevalence of mental illness in Western society, some people are genuinely in need of help and others are genuinely looking for excuses. We have to trust those making the diagnosis to know the difference and sometimes that trust is misplaced. Doctors (and nurses!) tend to like things in neat packages that can be cured or at least managed. That has lead to a HUGE expansion of vocabulary in defining mental illnesses. So, with more descriptors, there are more of us that tend to fit those descriptions.

I AM NOT diminishing the need for help and support for those people who have a diagnosis. Lord knows there isn't ENOUGH support out there for some. I'm just making a comment from my own experience.

Also true from my POV.

This is very true. There are also genuinely mentally ill people who are still looking for excuses and still want to use others as crutches, believing that their illness gives them every right to do as they please. Doesn't make life easy for those of us who are willing to take responsibility. :mad:

Does anyone know offhand if sudden, not bursts, but episodes of venomous fury are a precursor to early ( well, she's 74) onset dementia? Her mother had it, and I'm curious as to if these sudden "mean" episodes are maybe a sign of what's to come....

Does anyone know offhand if sudden, not bursts, but episodes of venomous fury are a precursor to early ( well, she's 74) onset dementia? Her mother had it, and I'm curious as to if these sudden "mean" episodes are maybe a sign of what's to come....

They can be, yes.
On the other hand it could have to do with pain, medication or anxiety over the aging process just as well and on top of that all the reasons younger people have for this kind of behavior.

I know there is a "mean" stage to alzheimer's but it doesn't last. There have been some strides made in medication for dementia so it could help to get her evaluated and treated if she has some form of it.

This next week should be interesting. My son who is on meds for being shy, nervous, hating new things, depressed and anxious starts college.

They can be, yes.
On the other hand it could have to do with pain, medication or anxiety over the aging process just as well and on top of that all the reasons younger people have for this kind of behavior.

I know there is a "mean" stage to alzheimer's but it doesn't last. There have been some strides made in medication for dementia so it could help to get her evaluated and treated if she has some form of it.

It was dementia that my Gram had, (Mom's mother). Gram and I were very close, Mom and I, not so much so, and I didn't really get to see much of what my Gram went through until the end stages, which were, to say the least, not very pretty.
Are there any tests one can take to see if they're predetermined for dementia?

This next week should be interesting. My son who is on meds for being shy, nervous, hating new things, depressed and anxious starts college.

Prayers & positive thought to you & your son, FF!

It was dementia that my Gram had, (Mom's mother). Gram and I were very close, Mom and I, not so much so, and I didn't really get to see much of what my Gram went through until the end stages, which were, to say the least, not very pretty.
Are there any tests one can take to see if they're predetermined for dementia?

A doctor should be able to determine if it is dementia, medication etc. Would she want to talk to a doctor about this though?

It's likely to be uncomfortable and a bit of a struggle but she should be strongly urged to do so.

A doctor should be able to determine if it is dementia, medication etc. Would she want to talk to a doctor about this though?

If it's any use, we were similarly worried about our Aspergers suffering nephew. Well, he's been at uni a year now - and it's been the absolute making of him.

Fingers, toes crossed for you all.

I hope things work out for your nephew. I have often wondered how someone with a mental illness--I have bipolar 2 Disorder--deals with the elements of BDSM.

Thanks so much!

So glad things are going well with your nephew.

They seem to be going well for my son so far too! Yay!

If it's any use, we were similarly worried about our Aspergers suffering nephew. Well, he's been at uni a year now - and it's been the absolute making of him.

Fingers, toes crossed for you all.

Back