Men seeking to write women better

I made no request other than that if someone asks for help, it makes no sense to refuse it while complaining that people don't ask for help.
Not a single woman here has complained that guy writers don’t ask for help, not one. Not even Alice. That’s all you and - I assume - another place.

Despite this, several male and female writers have offered help. Hell, even I did.

You should have all you need to take the next step yourself.

Good luck with that.

Em

@ArdentHemingway, Far be it from me to contradict what you are saying about not asking for help, but your responce,

I'm here. I find it difficult to respond when the messages aren't threaded.
And then it seems that a discussion of football broke out, so I let that play out.
I also went and checked out the Pink Orchid discussion as recommended.
It's now 07:20 Monday here in Phoenix and I'm about to have some coffee. May I pour you a mug?
I'd read a story you think is a good example. But I doubt it will help with the particular issue I began with.
reads as if you have checked out some of the recommendations. Your original posting doesn't say, let me give you ladies a little advice you might consider giving help. No, you gave us an order, then edited it a smidge to take the sting of the masculine rebuke.

My point is that women (people) need* [clarification: should not refuse] to help men (other people) write women (yet other people) better -- particularly in erotic fiction -- at least when a man (person) actually asks for help.
But the now in highly masculine bold text still doesn't read as advice, but a command. I don't think any of the women here respond very well to orders from a new participant in the forums. In six years, you've only managed a shade over 100 postings. I've been here a tad over a year, and I've had over 1000. Look, I'm going to assume you're not as rude a iungerman as you come off on your answers.

Just direct whoever you were looking for us to help out to this thread. There are plenty of pointers here for them.

shlum, and happy reading.

EDIT: I'm the bitch who diverted the thread to football. All threads wonder here and there as they progress.

Thank you.
a command.
That was not my intent, but I admit that my original statement was not worded the best that it could have been, especially in a multi-cultural forum such as this.

There are plenty of pointers here for them.
Yes, there are, and I'm heartened to see that several members have kindly stepped up to counter my original assertion, demonstrating that this forum is superior to all others on the 'net, even though such was not my intent.

I should stop there... but... but...
Many of you are familiar with Office Space; it felt like that from my point of view. Mmm'kay?

*furiously scribbles notes*
@Euphony (@EmilyMiller @Bamagan ) - I think we may have inadvertently started something here...

Looks like Wanda is taking the minutes.

Edit: reading the rest of the thread, I see it descended to a "Huh? Maybe I didn't express myself very well," type thread which rapidly went nowhere.

Last edited:
@Euphony (@EmilyMiller @Bamagan ) - I think we may have inadvertently started something here...

Looks like Wanda is taking the minutes.

Edit: reading the rest of the thread, I see it descended to a "Huh? Maybe I didn't express myself very well," type thread which rapidly went nowhere.

They said she had a breakdown
Someone's always tryin' to start that lady cryin'
Talkin', squealin', lyin'
Sayin' they just wanna be startin' somethin'

Is the marriage bit necessary these days?

Even so, what's that got to do with Emily, other than your trans-Atlantic... desires?
my-hero-academia-whistle.gif

No, it doesn't; it's a simple statement of fact.
Gonna add my two cents...

If you write your female protagonist with respect; listen to her voice, thoughts, feelings, wants desires... you will do fine.

Treat her like your mother, sister, lover, best friend, etc.

Come from a place of love and you can't go wrong.

If not love, friendship also works. Give her common interests to the male characters. Sports, tech, arts, whatever fits your story. For sexual attraction- make her get close to the male or another female through their common interests and mutual respect, maybe they share a few kinks too. Then decide if you want a casual hookup or a romantic connection- and take it from there. As long as you have the genders working together instead of making one dominant for some reason, it’s hard to go wrong. Set boundaries if you must, just know when to drop them for bisexuality, orgies, or whatever team activities you’re writing. Connecting on a work project, taking down a villain, seducing a friend, spicing up a marriage… the possibilities are many.

Back