Literotica is fucking great! 😊

The last posted stories in a "forum" format
I know one like that. It's a pain in the ass to find stories by any particular author, because a forum was not designed for this task.

The admin posted a rant a few weeks ago that basically said, "comment on stories or your account may be deleted." That killed pretty much any interest in participating there, and there's only one author on there I read because they don't post anywhere else.

I can't remember the site, but I asked to have a story taken down, and they banned me from the site. I don't know if they removed that story, all my stories, or none. Cause you know, I'm banned. It was a forum-style posting, though you had some control of formatting. But no one reviewed anything before it went up, and most of the stories were trash.

I can't say that I have published on other websites (YET) but I do have to agree that the site is... pretty solid. Other than the occasional wait time, I've found few things to complain about.

But this did get me curious on the experiences of people with other websites and I'd like to hear those (maybe in another thread to not derail this one). The good, the bad and the weird.

Lit has been great to me, barring a few trolls, which you can’t escape anywhere on the Net. And a few debates about their posting guidelines, which I mostly support. I won’t go into detail.

I’ve also gotten lots of fan support here, for all I have bemoaned about the ratings system. Other places I’ve posted-

- stories online is ok, but their post/edit system is not something I can figure out easily these days.
- AO3 is great and a worthy backup site, also a place where I can edit and tag more easily.
- ASSTR is hard to navigate and mostly defunct.
- other sites have limited functionality and non responsive audience.

So I stick with Lit and AO3, it’s enough for me personally. Lit stands by their authors who follow the rules, and that is appreciated here.

another literary site to widen my boundaries and viewership. That site (which shall remain nameless) has may upsides and a very positive user-base, and I've met a number of very nice fans on it. Yay. 🎉

On the other hand, the site also has a number of unsavory and anti-user practices, and some super-fucking-annoying-bullshit which make me so glad that Lit is here.

@Laurel, thank you so much for putting up with our nonsense here on Lit and in the AH.

Authors constantly bitch and complain about everything here, but this place is pretty fucking cool at the end of the day.
For me, the best thing about Lit, in comparison with That Other Site Which Shall Remain Nameless (which is where I started out my smuterary life), is that, mainly, we don't get censored here. Here, writers can discuss, debate, and express their opinions about writing, relatively freely. That makes for a relatively healthy artistic community, especially among writers. This is good.

I don't really have too.many complaints about Lit. Rules aside, it seems that Lit does have slightly lower standards, than say, LushStories does. I just saw that Subway Ride was rejected there for a second time. Perhaps that mod is right, but it feels like I'm also being forced to meet generic tradpub standards, too. I should probably look at both sites as trying to help make one a better writer. The only other issue with Lush is too much shit is behind a paywall, even starting threads.

I also have accounts on Wattpad, StoriesOnline, WritingDotCom, Quotev, just joined IllicitJournal, but I'm not sure what's going on there, just joined KNXX or whatever it is. I did write on AskJolene and BlackGayChatLive, both are gone. If I recall, SOL also has a review process, but I don't know what their standards are. My issue with WDC is it only gives you ten story slots, unless you pay for more, and I think there might be something about you can get more slots if you meet some other expectation like high votes or some shit. Most of them have issues of some kind. Of course I have fanfics on AO3, AFF, FFN, Quotev too.

I recently joined another literary site to widen my boundaries and viewership. That site (which shall remain nameless) has may upsides and a very positive user-base, and I've met a number of very nice fans on it. Yay. 🎉

On the other hand, the site also has a number of unsavory and anti-user practices, and some super-fucking-annoying-bullshit which make me so glad that Lit is here.

@Laurel, thank you so much for putting up with our nonsense here on Lit and in the AH.

Authors constantly bitch and complain about everything here, but this place is pretty fucking cool at the end of the day.
Literotica rules! I love it. Sure, there are issues...but there are issues with everything.

You were thanking Laurel. She’s only indirectly responsible for the behavior of a tiny minority of members.
Laurel is not responsible for ANY of that behavior. Unfortunately, in the attempt to be fair, features are flexible enough to allow for bad behavior.

One thing that most authors here are worried about is the dreaded one bomb. Or the asshole damaging their other stories. You can comment hundreds of times as anonymous but you can only score a story once from the same computer. yeah, if somebody REALLY has a hard-on for you he might use his PC, his tablet, his laptop, his phone (missing something?) to give you a 1, but not many are gonna go through that much effort and the damage is minimal.

Back