A Bestiary of Literotica Voters

Bamagan

Ultima Proxima
Here's a somewhat tongue-in-cheek taxonomy of the types of voters we usually see here. It seems obvious that many people don't vote, or at least don't vote often, but this isn't about those readers, just the ones who take the time to click a star.

The Cheerleader (Plausus spp): This genus is characterized by a strong propensity to vote fives, and rarely less than a three. One species (P. scriptor) is comprised mostly of other authors who bestow fives as a sign of encouragement, sometimes only loosely based on the perceived quality of the story. The other species (P. hortus) is often an obligate fetishist of some kind, preferring to keep to a particular habitat and loudly applauding any topic or theme that feeds their desires, even if the technical or compositional value is below average. Others are more generalist in their consumptive habits, and their votes are often a sign of gratitude to the producers, but may or may not reflect any considered opinions about the works consumed, beyond their price.

The Middleman (Modicus valorem): This species is characterized by a ponderous, unflappable approach to their erotica. They're often generalists, perusing a wide range of offerings. There are some things they won't consume, but their palate is broader than most others. They rarely vote less than a two or more than a four. Evidence suggests they're a somewhat rare species, and possibly on the decline in an era catering to specialization and customization.

The Sneerclicker (Derisor quidvis): Also frequently called an 'unobomber' in the vernacular, this species habitually hates everything it consumes. While it can be free-living, it occasionally exhibits parasitism, latching onto one or more hosts for most of its sustenance. They also sometimes form packs and specialize in trying to enervate certain topics or categories.

The Adjuster (Strabus inaequalis): This species tends to believe that it has superior discernment and judgment, and its approach to voting is to look at the existing score and vote either high or low in an attempt to drag the mean in a specific direction. Their votes are therefore determined partially by the quality of the work, but also on the reception that work has received from the rest of the community. Their principal prey are new stories, but anything with a relatively low vote total or that sits close to a 4.5 may attract their attention.

The Casual Voter (Fabula specifica): This species is characterized by voting in accordance with the vague descriptions provided in the voting menu (Hate It, Dislike, Average, Like It, Love It). They generally do not know or care what happens to their vote after it is cast.

*The Nitpicker (Videntis vidium): This is possibly a subspecies of the Middlemen. Their characteristic behavior is to avoid awarding maximum scores because of particular story elements that are not in alignment with their specific tastes, even while claiming to have enjoyed the experience overall. Some (V. vidium atrox) are extremely reactionary and will vote the minimum if they encounter irritants, which can make them seem like Sneerclickers.

**The Bimodalist (Uterque terminos): This is a species characterized by strongly divergent voting behavior, sometimes called 'redditing.' They habitually vote either a one or a five, and almost never anything in between. They possess a degree of camouflage, and can appear to be other species, depending on whether or not they find themselves in favorable habitats. They are usually obligate fetishists, and when replete with their kink of choice may appear to be Cheerleaders. Even slight deviations from their preferred deviance, however, can cause them to behave like riled-up Sneerclickers.

Did I miss any? Think there are subspecies of the ones I mentioned?

*Identified from field studies by @StillStunned and others.
** Identified from sightings reported by many in the AH.

Last edited:
Cladistically associated with the Nitpicker is the Quibbler (Quinque Quidquamidor Plebiscatii): Delights in leaving reviews starting "I would have rated this a five, but" and then launches into a contrived narrative that draws on alchemical treatises, astrology, the taste of belly button lint, and several picnics that are lamentably short of baskets, in order to deliver a logically consistent yet unutterably strange conclusion. Highly prized by collectors.

Cladistically associated with the Nitpicker is the Quibbler (Quinque Quidquamidor Plebiscatii): Delights in leaving reviews starting "I would have rated this a five, but" and then launches into a contrived narrative that draws on alchemical treatises, astrology, the taste of belly button lint, and several picnics that are lamentably short of baskets, in order to deliver a logically consistent yet unutterably strange conclusion. Highly prized by collectors.
I believe that species, ironically, often forgets to vote after providing the author with their treatise/polemic.

A few more that I've observed (I leave the scientific name to your expert knowledge):

The Oversharer: The reader who is compelled after reading your story to share his or her own incestuous [or fill in the blank] experience from many years ago

The Squickee: This reader is easily squicked by things and insists upon letting you know about that one little thing in your story--it could be just a single word--that compelled him to give you a 1.

The Revisionist: This reader is compelled to tell you how your characters should have behaved and then proceeds to tell you how you should rewrite your story.

The Moralizer: This reader lets you know what a terrible person you are for even writing about the subject matter, or for handling the subject matter in a way that doesn't strictly conform to that reader's moral code.

A few more that I've observed (I leave the scientific name to your expert knowledge):

The Oversharer: The reader who is compelled after reading your story to share his or her own incestuous [or fill in the blank] experience from many years ago

The Squickee: This reader is easily squicked by things and insists upon letting you know about that one little thing in your story--it could be just a single word--that compelled him to give you a 1.

The Revisionist: This reader is compelled to tell you how your characters should have behaved and then proceeds to tell you how you should rewrite your story.

The Moralizer: This reader lets you know what a terrible person you are for even writing about the subject matter, or for handling the subject matter in a way that doesn't strictly conform to that reader's moral code.
Those are really more types of commenters, although I presume most commenters also vote. I think the Oversharer is probably usually a Cheerleader, the fetish-seeking type. The Squickee is subspecies of the Nitpicker, I'd say, but with a more severe reactionary behavior. The Revisionist is probably more or less the same as the Adjuster. The moralizer sounds like a Sneerclicker, but possibly one that has an exploitable 'soft spot' for a specific type of story, although that may just be a form of camouflage to entice authors to keep providing things for them to hate, if only out of curiosity to see if they actually do like anything.

Not sure what to name this, but one who comments that the story was well-written, with a solid plot, good characters and outstanding eroticism - superior in every way ie, but the commenter simply doesn't like this theme (GM, Sci-Fi, Mind Control or whatever), so 'only a 3'.

I've met all of these in the wild. I can attest they're quite common.

Not sure what to name this, but one who comments that the story was well-written, with a solid plot, good characters and outstanding eroticism - superior in every way ie, but the commenter simply doesn't like this theme (GM, Sci-Fi, Mind Control or whatever), so 'only a 3'.
Sounds like a Middleman, but one who has a splash of Nitpicker in their family tree.

Those are really more types of commenters, although I presume most commenters also vote. I think the Oversharer is probably usually a Cheerleader, the fetish-seeking type. The Squickee is subspecies of the Nitpicker, I'd say, but with a more severe reactionary behavior. The Revisionist is probably more or less the same as the Adjuster. The moralizer sounds like a Sneerclicker, but possibly one that has an exploitable 'soft spot' for a specific type of story, although that may just be a form of camouflage to entice authors to keep providing things for them to hate, if only out of curiosity to see if they actually do like anything.

A fair point, although I listed them precisely because I've encountered each of these types of readers who have left a comment of this kind and used it to justify a vote they told me about. I've also encountered readers of these types who didn't tell me how they voted.

Back