Leave them wanting more?

My experience with writing a follow up story to one I intended to be a standalone story was that the results were disappointing.
One of my best rated stories, I cut the demands short with a denouement that said as a cold hard fact that the two people never saw each other again. I wasn't thinking of it that way at the time, but I'm glad I did it. It was a really romantic story with a relationship that could have easily gone on, except it was built into the premise of the story that it couldn't. (And the never seeing each other thing was obliquely pulled from personal experience)

I got several comments saying that readers wished it was otherwise, but no demands for a sequel.

the STORY was done. Anything else is just more sex scenes involving these characters. They could be fun
As much as I sometimes feel like I want to see more from people in the stories I read, in the end, I'd prefer to read a new STORY with other people rather than just peep in the windows of people I came to like.

"More, please" is easily the most frequent feedback I receive from readers.

It's not that they want more of the same story, because that ship always has clearly sailed when a story of mine concludes. What they want is more from the characters.

Developing characters that readers want to see more of isn't something to scoff at. I believe it is something a writer should aspire to accomplish with every story. Integrating the previously developed character(s) that readers are familiar with in future stories can be beneficial, even if their role varies slightly (becomes the antagonist instead of the protagonist, etc.).

It doesn't have to involve creating and maintaining a series, or expanding upon a story already published. A new story or series that simply employs a previously introduced character as an allusion element or in an exposition within a story can appease readers with a vested interest in your characters.

All good points, and this one:
It doesn't have to involve creating and maintaining a series, or expanding upon a story already published. A new story or series that simply employs a previously introduced character as an allusion element or in an exposition within a story can appease readers with a vested interest in your characters.
That's a universe. Not the same as a series, it is a common environment between otherwise unrelated stories. It can be quite satisfying for readers who like the characters and general situation in one story and want more, but the original story that introduced them is done and dusted.

If this universe is rich enough, other writers can write in it (think: Star Trek). It's something I would like to see more of on Lit, and something that can generate some reader loyalty across categories and for more than one writer.

All good points, and this one:

That's a universe. Not the same as a series, it is a common environment between otherwise unrelated stories. It can be quite satisfying for readers who like the characters and general situation in one story and want more, but the original story that introduced them is done and dusted.

If this universe is rich enough, other writers can write in it (think: Star Trek). It's something I would like to see more of on Lit, and something that can generate some reader loyalty across categories and for more than one writer.
Not necessarily a "universe", especially when the character(s) is included in a different story only as an allusion element. In fact, to your point of other writers incorporating this type of element, it is something that many mainstream writers do quite successfully to attract readers from other writers' works (with the agreement of the other writer, of course).

I have a new story dropping tomorrow.

Basic premise is a married lesbian couple decide to share some intimacy with a widowed male neighbor.

While Joan is strictly into women, Tess occasionally dabbled in men, although not for many years.

Anyway, even as I was writing "The End" I started thinking how there were plenty more sex scenes I probably could have written and included. Or I could write a sequel.

But again; the STORY was done. Anything else is just more sex scenes involving these characters. They could be fun, sure. But does it advance anything? No, not really.

I'll be curious to see if readers agree.
My story that's set for tomorrow is like this. I'm sure that plenty of readers will demand more about the two female characters, but that's not the point of the story. The narrator's development is complete, the story is over. Any readers who want more will have to imagine it for themselves.

This is one reason why I don't think I'll write more My Little Sister Sal stories. I'd need to come up with a premise that moves the narrative forward, beyond the satisfying point that it reached at the end of Too Late Not to Fuck. If and when I do, I might write a fifth instalment. Until then, I'll leave it up to my readers' overheated imaginations.

On the other hand, I could easily imagine going back to Avilia and Sligh from The Rivals. They have their HEA, but it's sword & sorcery, so there's a whole world out there for them to explore.
I will miss the Too Late series if that’s the case. But I agree you left it at a good stopping point. I haven’t read The Rivals yet. Maybe I will soon.

I will miss the Too Late series if that’s the case. But I agree you left it at a good stopping point.
If you ever need any fantasy fuel, I began writing another instalment called "Too Wet Not to Fuck", which has Sal watching Big Brother and Aisha under the shower.

If you ever need any fantasy fuel, I began writing another instalment called "Too Wet Not to Fuck", which has Sal watching Big Brother and Aisha under the shower.
And plotting to join them, I hope. They welcome her, then realize the stall is too crowded to fuck comfortably, so they move things to the bed for another three-way. That’s my head canon anyway. :D

Kudos to you for that series whether you continue it or not. Another idea- show off more of Sal’s perspective or perhaps how she seduces his girlfriend originally from the girlfriend’s perspective. Or not if the story doesn’t flow for you. In any case, thanks again. I especially appreciate that it inspired my own recent sibling incest tale.

"Chapter 2," "More", "Feels unfinished" are all fairly common comments. You have to judge for yourself whether they indicate a problem with your story, whether it's some kind of compliment, whether those commenting just don't "get it," or any number of other conclusions.

I got those comments at times when my story should have been complete, and I eventually decided that some of those comments showed a problem with my writing. I looked into writer's advice on line and found that there are ways to give the reader's a satisfying end (take the double entendre if you want) without writing until everyone dies.

It isn't a long list of methods, but I'm not going to look them up and describe them here. That's what Google's for. The one item I will put out there, is that--however you end your story--you need to know the ending before you start writing, and then make the effort to set up that ending.

Even if you do tie up every detail (good luck with that), then some readers are still going to ask for more, so it's still good to use some ending technique just to produce a sense of closure.

And plotting to join them, I hope. They welcome her, then realize the stall is too crowded to fuck comfortably, so they move things to the bed for another three-way. That’s my head canon anyway. :D

Kudos to you for that series whether you continue it or not. Another idea- show off more of Sal’s perspective or perhaps how she seduces his girlfriend originally from the girlfriend’s perspective. Or not if the story doesn’t flow for you. In any case, thanks again. I especially appreciate that it inspired my own recent sibling incest tale.

That was pretty much the idea. Or maybe taking turns under the shower.

Another idea- show off more of Sal’s perspective or perhaps how she seduces his girlfriend originally from the girlfriend’s perspective.
Sal's perspective... You know, that could work. I'll give it some thought. Thanks for the suggestion!
In any case, thanks again. I especially appreciate that it inspired my own recent sibling incest tale.
I'll have to check it out! Link?

Leave them wanting more?​

It kinda depends. Same as everyone else, I get a few: “this story needs to be continued” comments. I guess that’s a positive thing to read as an author.

I’ve written several stories featuring people from earlier work (obviously Emma & Lily in my Angels & Demons series, Eden Baker in her eponymous Explorations and so on), but that’s always been because I loved the characters and I felt that they would support a second or third story.

But, it has to be a story. No point in just writing how they fucked the day after the previous denouement. I’d like to go back to my three (maybe four) central characters from The Coleoidphila Trilogy (and did in a 750 word story, which I don’t think really counts), but it would have to be for some good reason and to tell a story just as good (by my lowly standards) as Coleoidphilia.

I guess my exception is my stroke Queen, Cressie, then all her stories are just sex scenes with no plot whatsoever.

Emily

I guess my exception is my stroke Queen, Cressie, then all her stories are just sex scenes with no plot whatsoever.
Sometimes it's just such great fun to write these stories. As long as you have a good setup where it's plausible (within the logic of the story, of course), you can just keep writing scene after scene, tossing in whatever kink you want. The readers might get bored after a while, but as a writer I enjoy them.

Sometimes it's just such great fun to write these stories. As long as you have a good setup where it's plausible (within the logic of the story, of course), you can just keep writing scene after scene, tossing in whatever kink you want. The readers might get bored after a while, but as a writer I enjoy them.
Yeah - she’s kinda a pressure valve 🤣

It kinda depends. Same as everyone else, I get a few: “this story needs to be continued” comments. I guess that’s a positive thing to read as an author.

I’ve written several stories featuring people from earlier work (obviously Emma & Lily in my Angels & Demons series, Eden Baker in her eponymous Explorations and so on), but that’s always been because I loved the characters and I felt that they would support a second or third story.

But, it has to be a story. No point in just writing how they fucked the day after the previous denouement. I’d like to go back to my three (maybe four) central characters from The Coleoidphila Trilogy (and did in a 750 word story, which I don’t think really counts), but it would have to be for some good reason and to tell a story just as good (by my lowly standards) as Coleoidphilia.

Emily

IMHO, there's absolutely nothing wrong with writing straight up sex stories with little to no plot, if that's the mood that strikes the writer.

And if the audience is along for that ride as well, even better.

I suppose if I found that mood I could apply it to something like My Sister's Skincare part 3 and just run with the fact there's no more real plot to explore, just up the sex factor.

I'm sure plenty of readers would dig it.

A consistent theme in my comments is that people wish the story were longer, or even made into a series, that they were disappointed if a relationship didn't continue or didn't get explored further. A couple of my stories have even gotten negative comments, I guess for being dissatisfying.

(There is no shortage of wank material in my stories. I have to imagine that's not the kind of satisfaction they're talking about.)

I am personally of the opinion that there is a maturity in embracing uncertainty, and in letting something end without taking it all the way to happily ever after. Most of my relationships (and, let's face it, most relationships, period) ended with uncertainty, if not outright heartbreak. It's the stuff of life.

Am I out of my head here? Am I by myself in not feeling like "happily ever after" fits naturally into many of my stories? Am I wrong for thinking that people are looking for an indulgence when I'm trying to provide them with something with a little more emotional honesty? Am I just being a stubborn ol' grump?
Somebody once said to me.
Forget about the readers....
This is a free sight. We're all writing because it's fun to do. It's a hobby.
We all get those comments. Write a long story and it's to long... A short story... It needs another chapter
you will never please them.
Write what you write. Finish when you feel it's finished...
Forget about the readers. You're not writing for them.

Cagivagurl

I'll just say there is a reason we never find out what's in the suitcase in Pulp Fiction...
Because it doesn't matter?

Seriously - it's a McGuffin.

I don't even think about the briefcase at all when I think about Pulp Fiction. I never anticipate the opening of the briefcase when I watch Pulp Fiction.

It doesn't matter what's in it. The golden glow doesn't even make me curious. It's just a Tarantinoism.

Emily
I was think about this. I got “please write a sequel” comments on Mors Immatura - if ever there was one of my stories that had a definitive ending. Thinking about it, it was a slow burn taboo. When the MMC and FMC finaly FCKD maybe people just wanted more of that. But the story was so finished.

Emily

I am personally of the opinion that there is a maturity in embracing uncertainty, and in letting something end without taking it all the way to happily ever after

Nope it’s called failure to wrap

Gotta wrap it up with wiggle room for a sequel

Because it doesn't matter?

Seriously - it's a McGuffin.

I don't even think about the briefcase at all when I think about Pulp Fiction. I never anticipate the opening of the briefcase when I watch Pulp Fiction.

It doesn't matter what's in it. The golden glow doesn't even make me curious. It's just a Tarantinoism.
All true, but there’s a specific reason he does it. Tarantino did it so the audience would fill in the blank, would make the story theirs, if only in a small way. Point is, it was intentional.

Just like there can be a specific reason why you write your story the way you do, why you made it the length you did, why you left something out or put something in.

In my story Living Up to the Legacy I stop where I do for a reason. The story could be a lot longer, but the moment of clarity the MC has at the climax is the point of the story. Adding anything more would have lessened that moment.

Write your story the way you feel it should be written. Readers will get it or they won’t. Some will infer things you didn’t intend and others will completely miss the point. That’s out of your control. Be true to your story.

It's why I never finished a part 3 for My Sister's Skincare, either. I realized I already told the STORY. Part 3 would just be expanding on the sex scenes.
Incest isn't generally a topic that interests me, but those two stories are the biz. Really well written, imaginative, and it works.

I appreciate that doesn't particularly further the conversation: but praise where praise is due.

Incest isn't generally a topic that interests me, but those two stories are the biz. Really well written, imaginative, and it works.

I appreciate that doesn't particularly further the conversation: but praise where praise is due.

Thanks. :)

There are times I look at that series and consider buckling down and at least giving it a proper ending.

Feels a little late for that, though.

Still... who knows.

Thanks. :)

There are times I look at that series and consider buckling down and at least giving it a proper ending.

Feels a little late for that, though.

Still... who knows.
To be fair, time didn't prevent George Lucas from going back and 'perfecting' the Star Wars saga with those prequels. How else would we have known about those Midi-chlorians :)

Back