Leave them wanting more?

OffNSFW

Really Experienced
A consistent theme in my comments is that people wish the story were longer, or even made into a series, that they were disappointed if a relationship didn't continue or didn't get explored further. A couple of my stories have even gotten negative comments, I guess for being dissatisfying.

(There is no shortage of wank material in my stories. I have to imagine that's not the kind of satisfaction they're talking about.)

I am personally of the opinion that there is a maturity in embracing uncertainty, and in letting something end without taking it all the way to happily ever after. Most of my relationships (and, let's face it, most relationships, period) ended with uncertainty, if not outright heartbreak. It's the stuff of life.

Am I out of my head here? Am I by myself in not feeling like "happily ever after" fits naturally into many of my stories? Am I wrong for thinking that people are looking for an indulgence when I'm trying to provide them with something with a little more emotional honesty? Am I just being a stubborn ol' grump?

Your story is done when you want it to be.

Just about every story on here that's a one off is filled with "we need another chapter" comments. Some authors are so caught up in what the readers think they're push the story into more installments, others, like myself, move on.

I'm a thrill of the kill writer. Once the initial conflict is over and the sexual ice broken, I lose interest meaning if I tried to add to it, it would most likely be a subpar piece.

I live by four words when it comes to stories.

"The End" and "What's next?"

A consistent theme in my comments is that people wish the story were longer, or even made into a series, that they were disappointed if a relationship didn't continue or didn't get explored further. A couple of my stories have even gotten negative comments, I guess for being dissatisfying.

(There is no shortage of wank material in my stories. I have to imagine that's not the kind of satisfaction they're talking about.)

I am personally of the opinion that there is a maturity in embracing uncertainty, and in letting something end without taking it all the way to happily ever after. Most of my relationships (and, let's face it, most relationships, period) ended with uncertainty, if not outright heartbreak. It's the stuff of life.

Am I out of my head here? Am I by myself in not feeling like "happily ever after" fits naturally into many of my stories? Am I wrong for thinking that people are looking for an indulgence when I'm trying to provide them with something with a little more emotional honesty? Am I just being a stubborn ol' grump?
I'll just say there is a reason we never find out what's in the suitcase in Pulp Fiction...

I wouldn't say that you should deliberately adopt a policy of leaving readers wanting more. I'd say you should end the story where you feel it should end, and if some readers want it to go on, resist the urge to cater to them unless it serves your own artistic purposes to do so. I constantly get comments that there should be another chapter, and I don't heed those requests. I like to move on to new stories.

My stories tend to be a "slice of life".
Which of course does lead itself to more.
But only if my imagination and patience not to repeat myself over and over again.

So yes, more is sometimes good... but letting the imagination of others is sometimes better?

My stories tend to be a "slice of life".
Which of course does lead itself to more.
But only if my imagination and patience not to repeat myself over and over again.

So yes, more is sometimes good... but letting the imagination of others is sometimes better?
That's another thing! I don't know if people realize how much more engaged they are when some of the story is left up to them. They get excited and interested by what could happen, and they interpret that as "I need more story" instead of "what I'm picturing IS the story."

And maybe this is me yelling at clouds, but I wonder if this is getting worse. Over the last 20 years or so, we've seen all of our mainstream fictions get spun off into as many other pieces of media as possible--an economy built around an endless supply of Stuff, and a consumer base whose expectations have been retrained accordingly.

Given that most of the stories on this site are being read as fantasies, whether or not they're realistic or even based on real events, it's not surprising that a vocal contingent of the readers want some kind of 'happily ever after' resolution. That contingent, I expect, feels that they have quite enough uncertainty and angst and unhappiness and unresolved relationships in real life, so they want their fantasy life to be better in those respects. Escapism, one might say.
That being said, as others have already commented, there's no particular reason to cater to one specific kind of reader unless you just want to do so.

they were disappointed if a relationship didn't continue or didn't get explored further.

The story is done when the main issue is resolved. A relationship is not really ever the main issue. Whether it will become established, whether it will move to the next step, whether it will survive some crisis, those are issues. Not the relationship as a whole. And maybe the relationship itself isn't part of whatever issue is being faced.

For the people involved, of course, the relationship itself is what is important, and it's continued enjoyment and development. When the reader vicariously feels that, it's great, it means the author did a good job. But beyond the resolution of the issue of the story, the relationship again becomes private to the people involved. What such a reader doesn't get is that merely observing, second hand and from a distance, an healthy and steady ongoing relationship gets boring quickly.

My first story was a single stand alone story that, due to overwhelming response, I wound up writing a sequel to.

And I sorta regret it, because I really had no interest in continuing that story and really had no clue on direction.

I've eventually learned that not EVERYTHING I write needs a sequel. Despite the fact that on many of them, there's plenty of opportunity to do so.

The main difference for me is; am I writing a sequel because there's more sex to be had? Or more story to tell?

And if it turns out its just about more sex, I tend not to write it.

It's why I never finished a part 3 for My Sister's Skincare, either. I realized I already told the STORY. Part 3 would just be expanding on the sex scenes.

It's why I never finished a part 3 for My Sister's Skincare, either. I realized I already told the STORY. Part 3 would just be expanding on the sex scenes.
I noticed early on that a lot of stories that continue are mostly just sex scenes with existing characters, especially in taboo
Chapter Two-Sis skinny dips with me
Chapter Three-Sis takes it in the ass!
Chapter Four-Mom joins in!
Chapter five-Um, who cares, its more family fucking!

No, I'm the same. And get a lot of "Do chapter 2" comments.

I noticed early on that a lot of stories that continue are mostly just sex scenes with existing characters, especially in taboo

Exactly.

My Sister's Skincare part 1 set up the (absolutely, intentionally ridiculous) premise that Sister needs Brothers cum on her face to cure her acne. And while he's reluctant at first, he eventually of course gives in and helps.

Part 2 expands the story only in the sense that Sister eventually gets Brother to confess their sexual exploits aren't simply about helping; that he WANTS this. As does she.

Part 3 would have been them taking it from mutual masturbation to actually fucking. It's absolutely predictable.

So why write it? Readers can easily figure out the next progression.

If you pressed on, turning your stand-alone story into a series, you'd get negative comments that it dragged on, or the story lost its appeal in chapter 19. It doesn't matter what you offer Lit readers. Someone will be dissatisfied and the displeased readers must inform you of your shortcomings.

Write as you wish and don't let the fickle readers persuade you to do work you're not interested in. If you are satisfied with the result, your work will find its audience. IMO, that's far more gratifying than bending your style to accommodate the complainers.

Part 3 would have been them taking it from mutual masturbation to actually fucking. It's absolutely predictable.

So why write it? Readers can easily figure out the next progression.
Because we're blessed/cursed with imagination. It gives us a duty to provide it for readers that don't have any of their own. Readers that can unironically ask, "so what happens next?" after that, then sit like a lump waiting for it to be answered.

Because we're blessed/cursed with imagination. It gives us a duty to provide it for readers that don't have any of their own. Readers that can unironically ask, "so what happens next?" after that, then sit like a lump waiting for it to be answered.

I'm not saying I'll NEVER write part 3 to that story. It's just that I really have nothing left interesting to say with it other than: "you want them to fuck? Okay, here ya go, they fuck."

And I suppose I'm not saying there's something inherently WRONG with that. It is a sex story site after all.

And there's certainly an audience for it.

The story is done when the main issue is resolved. A relationship is not really ever the main issue. Whether it will become established, whether it will move to the next step, whether it will survive some crisis, those are issues. Not the relationship as a whole. And maybe the relationship itself isn't part of whatever issue is being faced.

For the people involved, of course, the relationship itself is what is important, and it's continued enjoyment and development. When the reader vicariously feels that, it's great, it means the author did a good job. But beyond the resolution of the issue of the story, the relationship again becomes private to the people involved. What such a reader doesn't get is that merely observing, second hand and from a distance, an healthy and steady ongoing relationship gets boring quickly.

Thank you, you saved me the trouble of posting to say pretty much this.

I'll add this: it's not just a matter of choosing between your sense of artistry and success with readers. My experience with writing a follow up story to one I intended to be a standalone story was that the results were disappointing. Afterward, I not only felt like it wasn't that artistically satisfying, but the views and comments weren't what I expected given the reaction to my earlier story.

I think if you mail it in purely to get reader results, the readers may figure it out and your story won't do as well as if you just move on and write something new and fresh.

This is one reason why I don't think I'll write more My Little Sister Sal stories. I'd need to come up with a premise that moves the narrative forward, beyond the satisfying point that it reached at the end of Too Late Not to Fuck. If and when I do, I might write a fifth instalment. Until then, I'll leave it up to my readers' overheated imaginations.

On the other hand, I could easily imagine going back to Avilia and Sligh from The Rivals. They have their HEA, but it's sword & sorcery, so there's a whole world out there for them to explore.

My first story was a single stand alone story that, due to overwhelming response, I wound up writing a sequel to.

And I sorta regret it, because I really had no interest in continuing that story and really had no clue on direction.

I've eventually learned that not EVERYTHING I write needs a sequel. Despite the fact that on many of them, there's plenty of opportunity to do so.

The main difference for me is; am I writing a sequel because there's more sex to be had? Or more story to tell?

And if it turns out its just about more sex, I tend not to write it.

I've got two sequels in a hiatus for that very reason. Is there more story to be told, or just more wine and cigarettes to be consumed.

I actually need a plot 🤣

I have a new story dropping tomorrow.

Basic premise is a married lesbian couple decide to share some intimacy with a widowed male neighbor.

While Joan is strictly into women, Tess occasionally dabbled in men, although not for many years.

Anyway, even as I was writing "The End" I started thinking how there were plenty more sex scenes I probably could have written and included. Or I could write a sequel.

But again; the STORY was done. Anything else is just more sex scenes involving these characters. They could be fun, sure. But does it advance anything? No, not really.

I'll be curious to see if readers agree.

It's hard to predict. Some stand-alone stories will generate sequels, prequels, and even entire series. I may not have known what was coming originally, but sometimes I get lucky. Of course, since I have to write these things, it's my call, not that of the readers. Many will forever remain single submissions. But yes, a few will ask for more when I have nothing to give them.

As I said in another context, That's Entertainment!

As I said in another context, That's Entertainment!
I'm sure it is. Its the same copycat formula Hollywood has been surviving on for the last decade if not longer.

Some people just want the same thing over and over and if you care to deliver it, you'll do fine with that crowd.

But some of us prefer to move onto different absurd shit, instead of the same absurd shit.

Given that most of the stories on this site are being read as fantasies, whether or not they're realistic or even based on real events, it's not surprising that a vocal contingent of the readers want some kind of 'happily ever after' resolution. That contingent, I expect, feels that they have quite enough uncertainty and angst and unhappiness and unresolved relationships in real life, so they want their fantasy life to be better in those respects. Escapism, one might say.
That being said, as others have already commented, there's no particular reason to cater to one specific kind of reader unless you just want to do so.
A lot of series will end in a break-up because that's the reality of modern Western society. Probably half of all marriages fail, and maybe half of those are just going through the motions eventually. In earlier decades, a lot people would stay together because that was expected of them (unless they were Gloria Swanson, perhaps.) A hundred years ago, a "good life" didn't mean a "fun life." Of course, not everybody lived up to the standards (there were plenty of hookers around, for sure), but people did know that there were standards.

Back