Karen Smith of Edmonton, Canada, says "people just don’t lie about rape"

LJ_Reloaded

バクスター の
Men’s Rights Edmonton under intense media spotlight after “Don’t Be That Girl” poster enrages misandrists

Here are all the current articles I could find on the subject. Looks like this is heating up to one hell of a story across multiple news sources.

?Don?t be that girl? posters in Edmonton spark debate | Globalnews.ca

Anti-rape posters target of 'offensive' parody in Edmonton

Is a ?rape culture? flourishing in Edmonton? Poster campaign suggests women report rape as an act of revenge

Parody on anti-rape posters offensive, says professor

Edmonton anti-rape group?s poster campaign co-opted ? - Maclean's On Campus

Misogynistic poster riles Edmontonians - iNews880.com iNews 880 On Radio. On Line. On Demand. - Edmonton CHQTAM

'Don't Be That Girl' Posters: We Need to Talk About Coercion & Consent

Yahoo! News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Posters Say Women Lie About Sexual Assault

?Don?t Be That Girl? posters spark outrage in Edmonton | canada.com

'Rape apologist' parodies of 'Don't Be That Guy' posters pop up in Edmonton

Posters say some women lie about sexual assault - Edmonton - CBC News

In the video in that very first link they interview Karen Smith, the director of the Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton who created the original bigoted “men, don’t rape!" campaign, who says she’s “angry and disturbed that someone would put a message like this out, because people just don’t lie about [rape].".

Except when they do lie about it, like the case that happened right in your own back yard of Edmonton where a taxi driver was falsely accused of rape by some vile women who wanted to get revenge on him for not letting them smoke in his cab and who the police, after being shown the video evidence that exonerated him, completely REFUSED TO PROSECUTE THE WOMEN for making a false rape accusation and simply let them walk away.

But yeah Karen, shit like that never happens, because men are bad and women are good and they don’t ever lie about rape. Except when they do, again, and again, and again, and again, and the men who are falsely accused have their lives ruined. Hell, if that’s not enough for you, here are some more links to showcase the fact that women do lie about rape:
RUSSLYN ALI: ‘Dear Colleague letter (lowered standard of proof on campus for sex charges, etc.)
Criticisms of ‘Dear Colleague’ letter
ROY F. BAUMEISTER: Is There Anything Good About Men?
EMILY BAZELON and RACHEL LARIMORE: How often do women falsely cry rape?
CYNTHIA BELL: Rape should be tough to prove
ROY BLACK: Why we should protect those accused of rape
CAMPUS SAFETY AND SECURITY DATA ANALYSIS CUTTING TOOL
PROF. ALAN DERSHOWITZ
The trouble with rape prosecutions
When the rape rap is phoney
SUSAN ESTRICH: Discussing the Al Gore rape case
FATHERS AND FAMILIES WEB SITE
ZACHARY FOWLE: Accused often guilty until proven innocent
EDWARD GREER: The truth behind legal dominance feminism’s ‘two percent false rape claim’ figure (debunks two percent canard)
BRUCE GROSS: False Rape Allegations: An Assault On Justice (overview of false rape studies)
AYA GRUBER: Law professor says feminists should abandon tough rape laws and the war on crime
STEPHANIE GUTTMANN: How date rape ‘education’ fosters confusion, undermines personal responsibility, and trivializes sexual violence
PIERCE HARLAN and E. STEVEN BERKIMER: Don’t forget victims of false rape accusations
CHAD HERMANN
Men are From Wilkinsburg, Women are From Collier
One-in-One-Thousand-Eight-Hundred-Seventy-Seven
The lessons of Michael Haywood
AMANDA HESS: False rape claims and rape culture
SANDY HINGSTON: The new rules of college sex
JOANNE JACOBS: Rape and the bathroom wall
KC JOHNSON: Durham-in-Wonderland (the Duke Lacrosse blog)
KRISTIN JONES: A curious anomaly at UC Davis
EUGENE J. KANIN: False rape reports
RICHARD KLEIN: An Analysis of of Thirty-Five Years of Rape Reform: a Frustrating Search For Fundamental Fairness
KENNEDY v. LOUISIANA (outlawed death penalty for child rape due, inter alia, to possibility of false claims)
KOSS REPORT
JIM KOURI: Duke rape case all too common
JESSICA LACK: Playing the victim is overplayed
JOHN LEO: A rape accusation at Brown
PROF. ALAN LEVY: Political correctness is alive and well on college campuses
CARRIE L. LUKAS: One in four? Rape myths do injustice, too
HEATHER MacDONALD: Campus rape myth
MANHATTAN DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE: Recommendation for dismissal of Strauss-Kahn case
CHARLES P. McDOWELL: ‘False Alligators’ and fuzzy data: a new look at crime analysis
WENDY McELROY
Continuing to defame the ‘Duke 3’ as rapists
Duke rape case raises issue of protecting identity of accused
False rape charges hurt real victims
Rape scandal turns sympathy into skepticism
Treat accused, accuser alike
MSNBC REPORT: FALSE ALLEGATION THWARTED BY POLICE CAMERA
NATIONAL COALITION FOR MEN
False accusations
NCHERM: THE NATIONAL CENTER FOR HIGHER EDUCATION RISK MANAGEMENT
SARAH OVERSTREET: Coercion doesn’t make sex a crime
DR. TARA J. PALMATIER: Shrink4Men
KATHLEEN PARKER: Picking up after the Duke debacle
RADAR: Respecting accuracy in domestic abuse reporting
RAINN: Reducing risk of sexual assault
RAPE INVESTIGATION HANDBOOK: False claim red flags
ANNA RITTGERS: Sometimes Women Lie About Rape
KATIE ROPHIE: Date rape’s other victim
THE RUTHERFORD INSTITUTE: Dedicated to the defense of liberty and human rights
SCIENCE DAILY: Women Have Not Adapted To Casual Sex, Research Shows
SLATE DOUBLEX GABFEST: Jamie Leigh Jones and other high profile rape cases
CHRISTINA HOFF SOMMERS
In making campuses safe for women, a travesty of justice for men
Researching the ‘rape culture’ of America
JONNA M. SPILBOR: What If Kobe Bryant Has Been Falsely Accused? Why the Law of Acquaintance and Date Rape Should Seriously Penalize False Reports
STATE PENALTIES FOR FALSE REPORTING
STATUTES OF LIMITATIONS and HERE
STERN REVIEW (UK)
SHAUN WEBB: A Motion for Innocence
LAUREN WEEDMAN: I lied about being raped
TOY SOLDIERS WEB SITE
NAOMI WOLF
A tale of two rape charges
Why is rape different?
CATHY YOUNG
Last cry for ‘rape crisis’ feminism?
The noble lie, feminist style
Sexual assault on campus—is it exaggerated?
The unique power of crying rape
Who says women never lie about rape?
Huge props to MR Edmonton and Eric Duckman for this campaign and the disgusting misandry they’ve uncovered with it.
Also, you should know that MR Edmonton has a website and you can donate to them via paypal.

Also, be sure to join the war effort. Print out these posters and place them in your area!!!

ah.... I was drunk...therefore it wasnt rape.... now that's just classy

8637897.jpg

EDMONTON — Posters that parody a successful anti-rape campaign developed in Edmonton and now used worldwide are offensive and likely violate copyright rules, says a University of Alberta professor involved in developing the campaign.

The posters put up around the University of Alberta campus and possibly downtown this week use images from the Don’t Be That Guy campaign and change the text to send the opposite message, said Lise Gotell, chair of the U of A’s department of women’s and gender studies and an expert on Canadian sexual assault law.

“What they’ve done is they’ve taken four of the posters we created and they’ve manipulated them,” Gotell said.

“These posters, I think, are quite troubling ... What’s been done to transform an anti-sexual-assault campaign into a rape-apologist campaign is just deeply offensive.”

One of the Don’t Be That Guy campaign posters uses white text on a black background that reads: “Just because she’s drunk doesn’t mean she wants to f---.” A rewritten ad posted online, labelled Don’t Be That Girl, reads: “Just because you regret your life choices, doesn’t mean it’s rape.”

Another unauthorized campaign image, which is posted around the U of A campus, includes the text: “Just because you regret a one-night stand, doesn’t mean it wasn’t consensual.”

The posters play on the myth that regret causes false reports of sexual assault, Gotell said. Canada already has low reporting rates and low conviction rates for sexual assault, she said.

“What these posters are going to do, when people see them, is play into this myth that there’s a huge problem with false allegations, which we know empirically is wrong. They may in fact discourage people from reporting, because the research also shows that women are very likely to minimize their experiences of sexual assault.”

A coalition of groups fighting sexual assault called SAVE (Sexual Assault Voices of Edmonton) announced the Don’t Be That Guy campaign in November 2010, in response to statistics that showed alcohol played a role in about half the sexual assault cases police investigated in 2009. SAVE is made up of various groups including the U of A department of women’s and gender studies, the Sexual Assault Centre of Edmonton, Responsible Hospitality Edmonton and the Edmonton police.

Most previous campaigns to fight sexual assault focused on prevention tips for women, and the SAVE campaign was designed to focus its message on the perpetrators with print and transit advertisements including ads posted above urinals in bar washrooms.

The ad campaign last year won an Alberta Crime Prevention Award and has been used throughout Canada, the United States and in Australia and New Zealand.

“It’s a very, very popular and successful campaign,” Gotell said.

Representatives from SAVE plan to meet Monday to decide how to respond to the unauthorized posters, she said.

“My position is that this demands some kind of a legal response. There are clear intellectual property issues,” Gotell said. “When someone has manipulated our images to disseminate such an offensive message, of course, we should respond to this in a very clear way.”

The university also has clear policies that prevent people from putting up posters without permission, Gotell said.

Kristopher Wells, of the University of Alberta’s Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services, received emails Tuesday notifying him about posters on the U of A campus. Wells called campus security and security staff will be taking the posters down.

“They’re obviously not supported by any organization,” Wells said.

“That poster just shows why there’s a need for the (Don’t Be That Guy) campaign and the education work that still needs to happen if people still think that’s a joke or a funny parody.”

Many people commented on the posters on Twitter Tuesday, including Coun. Don Iveson who condemned the Don’t Be That Girl messages.

“It’s not funny and it’s cowardly,” Iveson said in an interview. “If there’s someone who wants to debate these issues, a real person who wants to debate these issues, they should come out and we should be talking about sexual assault in Edmonton, because it’s a real issue. It’s one of our crime indicators that’s rising, and it’s very troubling. The tactics are cowardly and the issue is not a laughing matter.”

This just continues the meme that since some rape allegations are false therefore most rape allegations must be false

these parodies are not debate.. they are trying to reinforce a myth and endanger women

The Myth of the False Accusation

http://www.ibtimes.com/rape-infographic-stirs-debate-over-false-accusations-myth-1000846#

rape-infographic.jpg

An infographic that purports to break down disturbing rape statistics went viral on Monday, but not everyone is buying it.

The graphic was created by the Enliven Project, an online campaign designed to spread awareness about sexual violence in the United States. It was compiled, Enliven Project Says, with statistics from the Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports. In it, the Project illustrates a troubling reality in which very few rapes are actually reported. Of those that are reported, fewer still are prosecuted and only a tiny percentage of perpetrators ever face jail time.

Perhaps even more eye-opening is the graphic’s illustration of how few reported rapes turn out to be false accusations -- a mere two out of every 100 rapes, according to the graphic. The image dispels the myth that a high number of reported rapes are in fact consensual, an argument often put forth by those who oppose tougher laws to protect victims and swifter justice for offenders.

The infographic was shared profusely on Twitter early this week and ultimately found its way into the hands of some major media outlets. The Washington Post’s Dylan Matthews re-posted it on Monday afternoon under the headline, “The saddest graph you’ll see today.” Over at Jezebel, Katie J.M. Baker did the same, suggesting that her readers “Show This Depressing Graph to the Rape Apologist in Your Life.”
Related

But Slate’s Amanda Marcotte wrote on Tuesday that the well-intentioned graphic is confusing the issue. Among Marcotte’s concerns is that the graphic actually overestimates the number of falsely accused rapists by conflating “false accusations” with “false reports.” The former requires the victim to identify a perpetrator while the latter only requires the victim to report the crime itself.

Marcotte also thought the graphic -- which illustrates each rape with a male-shaped icon -- was visually misleading in that it leads the viewer to assume one rapist per rape. “Your average rapist stacks up six victims,” she wrote. “That’s hard to capture in an infographic, but could be clearer by just labeling the little dudes “rapes” instead of “rapists.”

The Enliven Project, for its part, addressed the challenges of collecting rape statistics in a separate blog post by its founder, Sarah Beaulieu, who acknowledged that the infographic isn’t perfect. “One of the key challenges about sexual assault statistics is that it’s nearly impossible to gather accurate and consistent data about incidence and prevalence,” Beaulieu wrote.

Beaulieu responded to some of the questions about the infographic by posting the statistics she used and links to their original sources. While there are some inconsistencies, the data is disturbing no matter how you look at it. You can read the full list here.

The Enliven Project’s infographic was posted in the wake of two high-profile rape cases that are bringing much-needed awareness to the issue of sexual violence around the world. In India, a 23-year-old medical student died last month after being brutally gang-raped on a Delhi bus. And in Steubenville, Ohio, two members of a local high school football team are being accused of kidnapping and raping a 16-year-old student. Both incidents have sparked massive national protests.

This just continues the meme that since some rape allegations are false therefore most rape allegations must be false

these parodies are not debate.. they are trying to reinforce a myth and endanger women
So you're saying Karen is right and women never make false rape accusations?

Because that is the point of this thread. Karen was wrong. INTENTIONAL false rape accusations do happen.

Now please either step up and tell us they never happen or concede the OP was correct.

Badbabysitter says that this is a myth:

Scots01_1628762a.jpg

http://www.belgiumresearch.be/seksc...ocent-victim-vigilante-case-false-rape-accuse

A battered paperboy told last night how a vigilante spat in his face without warning before smashing his jaw apart in a savage street assault.
Defenceless Dominic Scullion was on his round when Paul Caulfield, 41, suddenly attacked him over claims the 16-year-old had raped a schoolgirl.

The crazed brute floored Dominic with a single punch and repeatedly beat him about the head as he lay unconscious on the ground.

Caulfield was later jailed for eight months, while Dominic — who has always protested his own innocence — was never charged over the sex attack allegations.

Reliving his ordeal, the schoolboy said: “I was walking away from a house after delivering a paper and had my headphones on listening to music.

“I got a tap on my back and thought it was one of my friends. I turned round and it was a middle-aged guy. He spat in my face.

“Next thing I remember is opening my eyes and thinking I’d had a dream. I was confused and wondered where I was.” Frantic pals had raced to Dominic’s home in Erskine, Renfrewshire, to tell his family he had been injured. His shocked relatives thought he had been mown down by a CAR when they saw him lying blood-soaked at the side of the road.

Dominic said: “I am frightened to go out now. I’m always looking over my shoulder.

“My attacker is in prison but I am still scared of what other people might do.

“I feel like it’s turned my life upside down. It’s going to take me a long time to get over it.”

Dominic’s nightmare began in March when the 15-year-old girl accused him of raping her on a busy walkway close to a community farm. The teenager was quizzed by cops and gave a DNA sample before being released pending further inquiries.

He insists he is innocent, claiming the girl had a crush on him and that he knocked back her invitations to meet.

Caulfield struck three months after the rape claims emerged.
And Dominic revealed his life has been torn apart, despite receiving a letter from prosecutors telling him he faced no charges.

He said: “I was scared in case people thought the girl was telling the truth — but I didn’t do anything wrong. I think this has all been to do with me rejecting her. I couldn’t focus on my exams. I’m still finding school hard and I’m getting counselling.

“I hope when people hear my name they don’t think ‘He’s the guy who was accused of rape’.”

Last night, the mother of the 15-year-old girl said: “We have kept a dignified silence through this whole thing.“My daughter has not dropped any charges and never will.”

Strathclyde Police last night confirmed there had been no charges over the rape allegations.Dominic has received no payment for this story.

Badbabysitter says this never happens.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/...pe-beaten-to-death-by-gang-of-four/index.html

Teen Falsely Accused of Rape Beaten to Death by Gang of Four

The trial is ongoing in the case of four people from Romford, Essex, in England, charged with brutally beating a man to death, exacting vengeance for a rape that seems never to have occurred.

Two years ago Alice Hall, then 16, accused Luke Harwood, also 16, of raping her. Police investigated and determined that, “it was clear she was not in fact saying that he had raped her and no further action was taken against him“. Then in May 2012, Hall’s sister, Emma, 21, saw Harwood by chance as he was moving into his new place. She told her boyfriend, Tony O’Toole, 29, and two friends, James Danby, 27, and Jovan Roberts, 28, that Harwood was the man that had raped her sister two years prior. The group targeted the 5-foot-7 inch, 98-pound father of one for termination. Danby and Roberts reportedly entered Harwood’s studio apartment and photographed him before the attack. O’Toole, Danby and Roberts are accused of punching and kicking Harwood for two hours, while Emma Hall looked on laughing. The group reportedly brought the beaten, bleeding Harwood to Emma’s apartment to show off what they had done. Then Emma drove Harwood, Danby and Roberts to a stream bank by a field where the group planned to kill him. Danby reportedly tried to strangle Harwood to death, but when the young man fought back, Danby is accused of stamping on his head 20 times, breaking most of the bones in Harwood’s face. The jury was later told that Danby had boasted that Harwood’s head “went like a marshmallow and popped where his brain came out.”

The trio burned the body along with their bloody clothes, covered the remains with a mattress and some other debris, and returned to the apartment to clean up the blood. Prosecutor Simon Denison told the court that the next day the Hall drove Danby and O’Toole as well as acquaintances Billy Duggan, 21, and Khalid Hassan, 20, to the scene of the murder, “They had with them knives and a pair of bolt cutters that they were intending to use to mutilate his body to make it more difficult for him to be identified by cutting off his fingers and removing his teeth.”

Hall apparently had tipped off police and the group was caught and arrested. Hall and O’Toole tried to pin the whole thing on the others, but police interviewed a terrified Alice Hall, who told them what had really happened. Hall, Danby, O’Toole and Roberts pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and causing grievous bodily harm with intent. Hall, Danby, O’Toole, Duggan and Hassan pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lse-rape-allegations-ex-boyfriends-years.html

A woman who made a string of false rape allegations against five men in eight years was behind bars last night.

Leanne Black, 32, repeatedly cried rape with bogus sex assault reports to police after rowing or breaking up with her former partners.

In one case, Black claimed she had been drugged and raped. In another she told police a boyfriend kidnapped and molested her.

A court heard that her innocent partners would have faced up to five years in jail if they had been found guilty of such serious sexual allegations.

However, Black was herself jailed for two years, with a judge condemning her actions, telling her that genuine rape victims would be undermined by her lies.

So you're saying Karen is right and women never make false rape accusations?

Because that is the point of this thread. Karen was wrong. INTENTIONAL false rape accusations do happen.

Now please either step up and tell us they never happen or concede the OP was correct.

I'm not saying that at all..please quote me where did, that would be great

I'm saying that you're trying to imply that false accusation is the norm and not the exception to it.. this inturn creates the mentality that rape accusations must be false...like the " parodies" it tries its damndest to diminish sexual assault

now please step and tell me if more false accusastions occur then real assaults... that would be interesting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lse-rape-allegations-ex-boyfriends-years.html

A woman who made a string of false rape allegations against five men in eight years was behind bars last night.

Leanne Black, 32, repeatedly cried rape with bogus sex assault reports to police after rowing or breaking up with her former partners.

In one case, Black claimed she had been drugged and raped. In another she told police a boyfriend kidnapped and molested her.

A court heard that her innocent partners would have faced up to five years in jail if they had been found guilty of such serious sexual allegations.

However, Black was herself jailed for two years, with a judge condemning her actions, telling her that genuine rape victims would be undermined by her lies.

please quote where I said it does not exist

now show me how false accusations outnumber sexual assaults

That's bullshit. There is no "some rape allegations are false therefore most rape allegations must be false". That is nothing more than a figment of your panicked, misandrist imagination.

NO ONE SAYS THAT.

please quote where I said it does not exist

now show me how false accusations outnumber sexual assaults
No one is arguing that false accusations outnumber sexual assaults. No one is arguing that all rape claims are false.

You made that up out of nowhere. You don't give a FUCK about victims of false rape accusations. So step aside and let us MRAs handle this. And we are handling it. And we're NOT saying all rape accusations are false.

You're welcome.

No one is arguing that false accusations outnumber sexual assaults. No one is arguing that all rape claims are false.

You made that up out of nowhere. You don't give a FUCK about victims of false rape accusations. So step aside and let us MRAs handle this. And we are handling it. And we're NOT saying all rape accusations are false.

You're welcome.

The guy parodying these posters sure is argyuing that

if he really wanted to debate the the number of false accusations, he wont make posters about that.. he would not be making posters about how being drunk is an excuse to rape someone

I am not making it up.. you're the one who posted in the opening thread about yet another case of a woman making false accusations...should I in turn make posts about every single time a woman makes an accusation that is NOT false in response to yours to show that it swings both ways

yes, some men are innocently and tragically accused... sadly, they are the exception and not the rule

if you were really outraged about false accusation, you would be equally outraged about legitimate assualts..and you're not

The guy parodying these posters sure is argyuing that
No, he is not. Show the words where he is arguing that.

I am not making it up.. you're the one who posted in the opening thread about yet another case of a woman making false accusations...should I in turn make posts about every single time a woman makes an accusation that is NOT false in response to yours to show that it swings both ways
I DARE you to do it. Not even one of your cites will disprove the fact that false rape accusations happen. Not one of your cites will ever prove that anyone said false rape accusations outnumber legitimate rape accusations.

So go ahead.

No, he is not. Show the words where he is arguing that.

I DARE you to do it. Not even one of your cites will disprove the fact that false rape accusations happen. Not one of your cites will ever prove that anyone said false rape accusations outnumber legitimate rape accusations.

So go ahead.

He certainly isnt trying to say sexual assault is a bad thing

I'm not saying false accusation does not occur for Nth time.. I'm saying it is not the epidemic you think it is... the stats show it occurs the exact amount of times it does per other felonies

if you want to be upset about false accusation, be upset about legit ... but you won't

men and women are the real victims here... not just the men

Back